Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 68. (Read 274784 times)

legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
NEW RELEASE

V2.3 has been fully deployed!

Change Log:

* Allow for configuring exchange specific trade settings - This is the biggie! You can now set override settings for each exchange so that you can trade each exchange individually.

* Edit: (Removed)

* Asynchronously load graph images - You will no longer have problems loading graphs when BitcoingCharts.com is down.

Pablo.
legendary
Now there are short term benefits as well. EMA is a non-sentimental way to gauge the market. We had a discussion here several days ago, when BTC was reaching 200 and it looked like it would ebb about getting out and trading for Fiat, but the bot kept us all in the market and we are now hitting 400.
You've got me on that one.

I turned on the bot and left the settings on the suggested settings (no reverse ema or anything). Lets hope it handles a crash very well.

I have noticed that the more volatile the market, the shorter your period of updates should be. Currently using 30 minutes. Though a few weeks ago when it barely moved I would have used 2 hours.

Any comments on this point, Pablo?

=======[Discount Code for Butter (10% off)]=========

https://butter-bot.com/?r=f5a17f5b

Use my referal code cause' im sooo cute!  Grin Cheesy

You'll get an extra month free, it's all on me!

Well, it's pretty clear that the shorter time window will react more quickly to a flash crash, but then you are assuming the hypothetical trend we are talking about is a flash crash and we are also making assumptions about the rebound. I hesitate to discuss these individual scenarios, you really have to look at the trading as an aggregate over time.

A better question would be: "Given the history of bubbles and bursts, what would be the best setting to profit from several of these situations." With algorithms you really can't discuss unique scenarios, you have to looks at what happens over a large set and find the trend.

Now since I know where you guys are going with this, protecting your funds, I suppose the argument can be made that 30 minutes is better than two hours, but that assumes the crash will be hard and that there won't be a rebound where you would actually loose coins on the upswing by having traded.

If it were me, I would keep my tried and true settings; maybe they won't be the best settings for this particular bubble, but over several bubbles I ought to do better than if I try to mod my settings for each event.

Please let me know if you need anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
Ok guys, these comments after so much discussion just a few pages back on why you don't want to panic sell in a crash (try to chase a fleeing market).  Let the nuubs panic sell low.  Slow you bot down (1hr min) and catch the rebound when selling, benefit from the market pushing back up into your sell.  Do the tests yourself.

Smiley
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Yeah I'd like to follow up as well and ask what settings would react to this volatility and sudden crashes the best. Going from 1 hour polling to 30 minute polling dramatically decreases backtesting results, but it seems logical to use 30 minutes now to mitigate the tail risk of a sudden crash. Also, some EMA pairs give huge spreads compared to others, so while they both would of course instruct us to be long now, I imagine they react to market reversals much differently (larger positive spread = more difficulty turning negative as prices fall quickly)
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
Now there are short term benefits as well. EMA is a non-sentimental way to gauge the market. We had a discussion here several days ago, when BTC was reaching 200 and it looked like it would ebb about getting out and trading for Fiat, but the bot kept us all in the market and we are now hitting 400.
You've got me on that one.

I turned on the bot and left the settings on the suggested settings (no reverse ema or anything). Lets hope it handles a crash very well.

I have noticed that the more volatile the market, the shorter your period of updates should be. Currently using 30 minutes. Though a few weeks ago when it barely moved I would have used 2 hours.

Any comments on this point, Pablo?

legendary
Hi there,

[removed] I simply hadn't activated my API key...

And my second question is, do I need to start off with USD in my Bitstamp account or can I start with 0 USD and 8 BTC for example?

And the third and last one is: What does EMA stand for?

Thanks for your answers.

Hi Mister_R Smiley,

You can start with either BTC or USD or both, it doesn't make a difference. Your bot will trade all your currency for one or the other (less your reserve) once it is triggered by the proper market signal.

EMA stands for "Exponential Moving Average", a good discussion can be found here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/goomboos-journal-60501

Pablo.

This system of trading does exactly that, it keeps you in the market as long as it is trending up.
yes, I understand that, but if you back test it against the last 2 months or less, you make more money by just buying and holding bitcoin than trading with the bot.

Very much not my experience in the last 3 months.  Bot outperformed both my manual trading & static purchases.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Hi there,

[removed] I simply hadn't activated my API key...

And my second question is, do I need to start off with USD in my Bitstamp account or can I start with 0 USD and 8 BTC for example?

And the third and last one is: What does EMA stand for?

Thanks for your answers.
legendary
Any suggestions you may have for any improvements, please drop me an email ([email protected]), we get almost all our improvement ideas from the community and you seem to have a solid grasp on trading.
ok, will do.  Just right off the top of my head, the ability to load other algorithms would be cool.  Also, save back testing settings to compare different strategies.

Hey Smiley,
   Noted. Other algorithms will be a part of V4 for sure, although we plan to introduce algorithm improvements to the current one before that.

The idea of being able to compare back testing settings is new though, I'll definitely see what can be done about that, I can see how that would be useful.

Keep em coming Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Any suggestions you may have for any improvements, please drop me an email ([email protected]), we get almost all our improvement ideas from the community and you seem to have a solid grasp on trading.
ok, will do.  Just right off the top of my head, the ability to load other algorithms would be cool.  Also, save back testing settings to compare different strategies.
legendary
Pablo, thanks, yes I understand that it is a long-term strategy, I was merely responding to people claiming it was a good strategy for the current market (short term application). What I am saying is that if you backtest against the surge of the last month, you'll see buy and hold beating butter bot, and it's for the exact reasons you say.

EMA seems to be a good strategy for certain situations, but it's probably not the best strategy for a bitcoin bubble. Smiley

Thanks again for a great tool, it really is something awesome.

Perfect, understood Smiley.

We would certainly appreciate any input to improve Smiley.

Pablo.
Pablo, thanks, yes I understand that it is a long-term strategy, I was merely responding to people claiming it was a good strategy for the current market (short term application). What I am saying is that if you backtest against the surge of the last month, you'll see buy and hold beating butter bot, and it's for the exact reasons you say.

EMA seems to be a good strategy for certain situations, but it's probably not the best strategy for a bitcoin bubble. Smiley

Thanks again for a great tool, it really is something awesome.
legendary
This system of trading does exactly that, it keeps you in the market as long as it is trending up.
yes, I understand that, but if you back test it against the last 2 months or less, you make more money by just buying and holding bitcoin than trading with the bot.

Hi Vela Smiley,
   EMA, as a long term strategy, is designed to be tested against several months, I would suggest 6 months or more (not a get rich quick scheme). This is because in the short term we are likely to have mean deviating trends, like this massive surge or a feral crash, which are so outside the expected average that they skew results. Over the long term, the expected number of average trades will tend to average the results of mean deviating trends out (Think: The Law of Large Numbers), this does not happen over the short term.

There are certain periods where absolute buy and hold will have good results (like any trading strategy, EMA is not infallible), but the bot is better because it makes the buy and hold call for you; I wonder how many people thought it peaked at 200 and sold out early. In the end, EMA is really an intelligent sort of buy and hold trading in that it eliminates the human element; and over the long term the math suggests you will come out ahead. Community feedback is the best indicator of the bots profitability.

This is not to say EMA can not be improved, as I have said before, we are diligently working on getting out the kinks and we will have something out as soon as we can make sure it is better than what we currently have; we are always open to improvement.

Pablo.
legendary
Did Bitstamp go down? Bot API not working and went to the site and am getting "ACCESS DENIED" on the Bitstamp website. Like the whole site is down.  Never seen that before.

Pangia,
   Are you still having this issue? I'll be happy to track it down for you if you are, just drop me an email to [email protected]

Smiley

Pablo.
legendary
Pablo, am I understanding it correctly, that if you use multiple exchanges, you only can set the exchange settings for the "main" one? or can you set settings for all of them to be different?

Hi Uck Smiley,
   You can only set a "main one" for now; the next upgrade, which should be out in a few days, will let you set independent settings for each exchange Smiley.

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Pablo.
To say that Butter was built for what is happening with the market is an understatement.  That gains are jaw-dropping!

A lot of bots got left out in the cold with this market.

Thank you thank you thank you!
really?  cause I was testing against the last few months, and you do better to just buy and hold in a market like it is right now.

what settings are giving you higher profits in the current market?

uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Pablo, am I understanding it correctly, that if you use multiple exchanges, you only can set the exchange settings for the "main" one? or can you set settings for all of them to be different?
To say that Butter was built for what is happening with the market is an understatement.  That gains are jaw-dropping!

A lot of bots got left out in the cold with this market.

Thank you thank you thank you!
really?  cause I was testing against the last few months, and you do better to just buy and hold in a market like it is right now.

what settings are giving you higher profits in the current market?
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
I'm using the trial, hope things go well. Might buy the bot if they do.
You can have a 10% off your purchase if you use my code (plus an extra month for subscription).

Pages:
Jump to: