Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 71. (Read 274784 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com

Indeed, but don't forget that after the stop-loss is triggered, the bot just continues trading.
So if your EMA Diff is positive it'll just take back the position (and take a small point difference loss + transaction fees)

I like the theory, really I do.

In practice, however, I always seem to lose when I try it.  You are fighting heavy pressure and fast order action, and by the time I am out & back in, I have lost more then I care too.

Price goes on a steep climp from 20 dollars to 250 dollars and then severely corrects to 80 dollars in a couple of minutes.
In this example a trailing stop loss of 20% would have closed my positions at 200 dollar. After that as soon as there is a positive cross-over again the bot can go ahead and buy back in.

Sounds great... but what ends up happening when I tried this is that too often a sharp correction such as we had a few hours ago would trigger the stop-loss in a scenario, like today, that ultimately did not trigger a dead cross.

BTC is still climbing, but I would be out.  Not a win.  Sad

Indeed, but don't forget that after the stop-loss is triggered, the bot just continues trading.
So if your EMA Diff is positive it'll just take back the position (and take a small point difference loss + transaction fees)

Not so small in my experience.  Too much trade traffic and market pressure.  I always lost way more then I cared to, and inevitably, the math showed that I would have been better off going for coffee until the "panic" buying/selling was over, come calmly back in and catch the rebound (providing a trend change is identified).  If on the other hand the spike was not indicative of a trend change, I avoided the trap.

I Found the same with the STB.  I now disable the stoploss in the bot, because it hurts my returns more often then not.

But again, all of that plays into a very methodical approach to trading, and plenty of money has been made with different methods.

I will tell you, however, that how I arrive at my strategy and settings is by spending hundreds of hours with charts testing ideas and theories.  One of the things that is hard to table-test is a stop-loss.  You may have it set for %5, but more often then not it will sell far below that because you are at that point "chasing the trade"; this amplifies with larger amounts of money.

I am also going to come back to a trend that you might be overlooking.  In this volatile market, manipulating fast-acting bots with bull & bear traps is common practice.  One of the things that makes Butter better is it's relative immunity to these market games.

FWIW

Smiley
Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Price goes on a steep climp from 20 dollars to 250 dollars and then severely corrects to 80 dollars in a couple of minutes.
In this example a trailing stop loss of 20% would have closed my positions at 200 dollar. After that as soon as there is a positive cross-over again the bot can go ahead and buy back in.

Sounds great... but what ends up happening when I tried this is that too often a sharp correction such as we had a few hours ago would trigger the stop-loss in a scenario, like today, that ultimately did not trigger a dead cross.

BTC is still climbing, but I would be out.  Not a win.  Sad

BTC is still climbing, but I would be out.  Not a win.  Sad

EDIT:

You are absolutely right regarding the trending nature of the market.  Once that changes, so will the trading strategy.  I think we have a bit of trending ahead of us tho, and intend to capitalize on it.

Cheesy
Pablo & company, I salute you in your efforts.  

Some pretty counter-intuitive suggesting being brought back up here.  I am going to make my comments brief, because this is all very worn territory.

Profit/loss:
"Magic" does not exist in trading.  Only solid, proven systems.  _No_ system is without loss.

Stop-loss:
EMA cross-over trading _is_ stop loss.  It is designed to keep you in a bull market and out of a bear market.  Attempting to "add" a stop-loss to this system creates a double-negative and short-circuits the system.  You will lose.  If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back.

"Flash-crash" protection:
When trading manually, the best protection in a flash-crash is to walk away & go eat dinner.  If you join the panic buy/sell, you lose.  You are _always_ far ahead when you wait and catch the rebound caused by the heavy market pressure.  I have had great success programming the bot to do this automatically.  It often means slowing the trade down; you need to wait for the snap-back.

This bot is wildly profitable, and very configurable.  Most everything you are asking for is already here; you just need to understand how the bot works and how to set it up.

Your stop loss remark is incorrect, a trailing stop-loss can be used perfectly in conjunction with ema-crossovers.

Example:
Price goes on a steep climp from 20 dollars to 260 dollars and then severely corrects to 80 dollars in a couple of minutes.
Your EMA crossovers would react when the action has already happend (sell at 80)

while a trailing stop-loss of 20% would try and cut your losses instanteniously. After that your bot can enter the market again based on it's own indicators.

More likely, your trailing stop-loss would jump you out of the market on a sharp correction that is contrary to the actual trend.

Sir, you don't have to explain your position to me, after 30 years as a professional trader, I understand what you are thinking.  I just don't agree with it.  Long-term I have enjoyed less success with trying to catch every spike and bounce.  In fact, it has led to frustration and loss.

That does not mean that others have not, or cannot have better success.

I will tell you that after tallying the month of October, Butter returned a 48.7% profit on the funds it was controlling.  That far exceeds any other bot I am testing, and beat my manual trades even.

This bot ain't broke!  Wink

I assumed you weren't very experienced, my mistake. Let's have a healthy discussion then:

You know that MA Crossovers (any kind) work great in a trending market, and I think we can both agree bitcoin has currently known only one trend and that's one big bull rally. So that this bot was profitable should be no surprise to both of us.

That however doesn't mean you can adopt a better strategy.

Let's go back to the trailing stop-loss proposal:
You state that it's possible that the trailing stop loss kicks me out on a sharp correction. And that is a fair argument, but I'd argue that it isn't such a bad thing. Back to my original example:

The point I'm trying to make is that a 20% correction is pretty significant and probably will have an impact for a while. Your bot can buy back in at 80 dollars and make a significant profit.

Without the trailing stop-loss you wouldn't be able to make such a profit.

Ofcourse buy and hold would also be a winning strategy in this example, but then I ask you, why use a bot in the first place?

In reply to your other reply:
A twitchy stop-loss bot will get manipulated to no end (I agree) but a 20% drop is significant and even if there is a rebound, the first couple of minutes / hours will have intense selling pressure.

Also keep in mind that I'm not proposing a regular stop-loss but a trailing one, so incase of the current trend, and I get manipulated out of my position, I'd still be taking home a healthy profit.

@seanrarey:
What if there's a DDOS attack on mtGox and the market tumbles down to 100$ in 10min time?
Will you just wait x weeks / months for the market to recover, or would you rather buy >2x the amount of bitcoins back, because you were able to sell your bitcoins at 220$?

Nope.   Do this:

Go back to every single "tumble" you can find.  The most recent good one is the "silk road crash".

See the hard downward pressure?  Sell here, you sell too low.  "knee jerk" sell reactions and auto stop-loses get you caught in that trap.

Now, move forward in time 1 - 2 hours.  See the rebound?  That much market pressure _always_ results in a correction, or rebound... even when the market then continues down.  _Sell there_.  You will be far ahead, every time.

Discipline makes good traders, and twitchy bots with stop-loss triggers are a favorite target of market manipulators.

Smiley
Activity: 124

Some pretty counter-intuitive suggesting being brought back up here.  I am going to make my comments brief, because this is all very worn territory.

Profit/loss:
"Magic" does not exist in trading.  Only solid, proven systems.  _No_ system is without loss.

Stop-loss:
EMA cross-over trading _is_ stop loss.  It is designed to keep you in a bull market and out of a bear market.  Attempting to "add" a stop-loss to this system creates a double-negative and short-circuits the system.  You will lose.  If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back.

When trading manually, the best protection in a flash-crash is to walk away & go eat dinner.  If you join the panic buy/sell, you lose.  You are _always_ far ahead when you wait and catch the rebound caused by the heavy market pressure.  I have had great success programming the bot to do this automatically.  It often means slowing the trade down; you need to wait for the snap-back.

This bot is wildly profitable, and very configurable.  Most everything you are asking for is already here; you just need to understand how the bot works and how to set it up.

Your stop loss remark is incorrect, a trailing stop-loss can be used perfectly in conjunction with ema-crossovers.

Example:
Price goes on a steep climp from 20 dollars to 260 dollars and then severely corrects to 80 dollars in a couple of minutes.
Your EMA crossovers would react when the action has already happend (sell at 80)

while a trailing stop-loss of 20% would try and cut your losses instanteniously. After that your bot can enter the market again based on it's own indicators.

That's exactly my sentiment, San1ty.

@seanrarey:
What if there's a DDOS attack on mtGox and the market tumbles down to 100$ in 10min time?
Will you just wait x weeks / months for the market to recover, or would you rather buy >2x the amount of bitcoins back, because you were able to sell your bitcoins at 220$?

Some pretty counter-intuitive suggesting being brought back up here.  I am going to make my comments brief, because this is all very worn territory.

Profit/loss:
"Magic" does not exist in trading.  Only solid, proven systems.  _No_ system is without loss.

Stop-loss:
EMA cross-over trading _is_ stop loss.  It is designed to keep you in a bull market and out of a bear market.  Attempting to "add" a stop-loss to this system creates a double-negative and short-circuits the system.  You will lose.  If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back.

When trading manually, the best protection in a flash-crash is to walk away & go eat dinner.  If you join the panic buy/sell, you lose.  You are _always_ far ahead when you wait and catch the rebound caused by the heavy market pressure.  I have had great success programming the bot to do this automatically.  It often means slowing the trade down; you need to wait for the snap-back.

This bot is wildly profitable, and very configurable.  Most everything you are asking for is already here; you just need to understand how the bot works and how to set it up.

Example:

More likely, your trailing stop-loss would jump you out of the market on a sharp correction that is contrary to the actual trend.

Sir, you don't have to explain your position to me, after 30 years as a professional trader, I understand what you are thinking.  I just don't agree with it.  Long-term I have enjoyed less success with trying to catch every spike and bounce.  In fact, it has led to frustration and loss.

That does not mean that others have not, or cannot have better success.

I will tell you that after tallying the month of October, Butter returned a 48.7% profit on the funds it was controlling.  That far exceeds any other bot I am testing, and beat my manual trades even.

This bot ain't broke!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
Stop-loss:
EMA cross-over trading _is_ stop loss.  It is designed to keep you in a bull market and out of a bear market.  Attempting to "add" a stop-loss to this system creates a double-negative and short-circuits the system.  You will lose.  If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back.
I am using reverse EMA strategy so I am unsure if it applies.

" If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back."

I'd also like to point out that some of the same arguments are being used in reverse on either side of the issue.

If a flash crash happens says side A, then EMA will keep get you out of it. There is no guarantee the market will go up again we are told.  People pointed out that there is no guarantee that the price will recover. Alright, that is probably true.

Now the same point is being used (the snap back "will happen") as-if it were guaranteed....

Perhaps we need to all get on the same page.

===========================

Either way, I understand both positions to the best of my ability.

=======[Discount Code for Butter (10% off)]=========

https://butter-bot.com/?r=f5a17f5b

Use my referal code cause' im sooo cute!  Grin Cheesy

You'll get an extra month free, it's all on me!

A good experiment for you would be to buy Stephen Haas' Simple Trade Bot.  It is versatile, and will let you do most if not all of what you are suggesting.  I have run it side-by-side with Butter for months.  It has never come close to matching Butter's performance.

RSI, "reverse" EMA, MACD all seem like a great idea; until the market runs away from it and strands the bot.

With the different bots I run (if it is available, I buy it), it is the simplest one that constantly makes me the most money.

There are some features I want very much and am looking forward to, but I would be quite happy if they left the trade engine exactly as it is.  I keep coming back to it from the more complex machines.

Smiley

I have a feeling you don't fully understand those concepts if you just try them out and conclude they aren't profitable.
MACD reacts faster to market movements then the MA crossovers butter-bot uses.

As far as the haasonline bot goes, it's pretty nice and has a lot more options, but the trading systems he currently has implemented for example macd is not according to the spec, so it's hard to judge.

San1ty,
  We will probably be including alternative strategy modules with V3; MACD will likely be a strategy then. We will thoroughly back test all strategies to make sure they are likely to be profitable before we release them, but in principle, I don't see a problem with this; we are all for freedom of choice Smiley.

Pablo.

Profit/loss:

Stop-loss:

Example:

Stop-loss:

" If you try to bail on your position as the crash occurs, you are selling against the pressure and you will lose much more then if you wait for the snap-back."

I'd also like to point out that some of the same arguments are being used in reverse on either side of the issue.

If a flash crash happens says side A, then EMA will keep get you out of it. There is no guarantee the market will go up again we are told.  People pointed out that there is no guarantee that the price will recover. Alright, that is probably true.

Now the same point is being used (the snap back "will happen") as-if it were guaranteed....

A good experiment for you would be to buy Stephen Haas' Simple Trade Bot.  It is versatile, and will let you do most if not all of what you are suggesting.  I have run it side-by-side with Butter for months.  It has never come close to matching Butter's performance.

RSI, "reverse" EMA, MACD all seem like a great idea; until the market runs away from it and strands the bot.

With the different bots I run (if it is available, I buy it), it is the simplest one that constantly makes me the most money.

There are some features I want very much and am looking forward to, but I would be quite happy if they left the trade engine exactly as it is.  I keep coming back to it from the more complex machines.

Smiley

I have a feeling you don't fully understand those concepts if you just try them out and conclude they aren't profitable.
MACD reacts faster to market movements then the MA crossovers butter-bot uses.

As far as the haasonline bot goes, it's pretty nice and has a lot more options, but the trading systems he currently has implemented for example macd is not according to the spec, so it's hard to judge.
Stop-loss:

Smiley
fible1:

I don't know if you read these comments but imho they are pretty relevant.
Did you have a look at MACD yet? Any questions about it?

- EMA Crossovers are basically a pretty weak trading system. If you like MA's a lot you should consider switching to MACD as it is superior. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MACD)
- I notice you have to set the trading fee manually (this should be an api call to the exchange every X minutes to check what the trading fee is). Bitstamp has a trading fee based on your volume.
legendary
Problem, I already reset my PC last night this morning. Do the console logs survive across resets?

Hey Smiley,   
  No, they don't. Let's watch your bot and if the situation repeats itself please send me your logs then Smiley. I suspect this is a non-repeat situation.

Pablo.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
Problem, I already reset my PC last night this morning. Do the console logs survive across resets?
legendary

When trading manually, the best protection in a flash-crash is to walk away & go eat dinner.  If you join the panic buy/sell, you lose.  You are _always_ far ahead when you wait and catch the rebound caused by the heavy market pressure.  I have had great success programming the bot to do this automatically.  It often means slowing the trade down; you need to wait for the snap-back.
I think you are referring to the notion of market corrections.

Any trend that is too one sided is bound to retrace. (applies in both bull and bear markets)

==========================

While I am on the topic of retracements. Last night I used B-Bot in a new configuration and I noticed that it kept trying to buy repeatedly after it already bought using all available funds (whatever was made available to it). It appears that it repeatedly sends emails even though it has already used all available funds.

The same was true of selling. It kept sending messages that the sell trigger was reached despite already having sold everything available to it.

Hey Smiley,
  I am dropping you a PM right now so we can get your console logs and debug that situation Smiley.

Pablo.
legendary

I think you are referring to the notion of market corrections.

Any trend that is too one sided is bound to retrace. (applies in both bull and bear markets)

(snapshot from last night)

For example, the MtGox Exchange is overbought across the long term ranges. It seems to be primed for a massive correction pretty soon.

==========================

While I am on the topic of retracements. Last night I used B-Bot in a new configuration and I noticed that it kept trying to buy repeatedly after it already bought using all available funds (whatever was made available to it). It appears that it repeatedly sends emails even though it has already used all available funds.

The same was true of selling. It kept sending messages that the sell trigger was reached despite already having sold everything available to it.

legendary
Stop-loss:

Profit/loss:

Stop-loss:

legendary

Really you should not be using the BOT if you do not understand that it is not 'willy nilly', the whole point is that over time you will see an increase over a 'normal' human trader, but that may include  taking it in the ass once in a while....
There is a 'run test' function and whilst it is a bit basic, it will give you an idea.

For example the recommended settings would have made a significant loss on Mtgox over the past few days.

It gave me enough of an idea to understand the  functionality is not suitable for trading in such a market at the moment, as it stands the BOT is not quite polished enough, and yep I know it makes money, but is also takes rather more 'hits' than it should.

Personally I'm of the mind that the product is in need of significantly more 'safety mechanisms', but I also do not think that a simple 'stop loss' is the answer, specifically because it can be exploited by other traders and in some cases may well be a significant contributing factor to  a 'flash crash'.

That said and despite the BOT going mad and clearing out all my FIAT, I have still managed to manually trade the account to a significantly better position that the BOT over the last two days.
There are some rather 'shitty' patterns emerging from gox at the moment indicating some very rough BOT trading algorithms.

I agree with your assessment.

It takes more hits than it really should. Which like it or not, deducts from future gains.

Right now I am almost finished writing my own arbitrage bot and testing it through it's paces. I too would like Butter Bot to add certain real time simulation features. I think a simulation feature is better than turning on the bot and letting it do trading. This will help you get an idea of the decisions the bot makes in different situations without risking BTC or USD.

------------------------

I would love it if they made a "secure-bot" to "get you out" of the market in the event of a flash crash. Just that feature alone is very useful if you don't intend to do actual EMA based trading. If you do want a bot to watch the current market conditions on a continual basis butter bot would be a good start if you understand the settings.

I think they should package this separate from the normal butter bot set of features.

-------------------------

There are also other types of already coded software based on ADX that don't take anywhere near "the number of hits" that butter bot takes. (not butter bots fault as ADX is just a better indicator IMO)

There is one publicly available but someone decided the neuter the public code so that it didn't do anything other than prevent losses. I back tested the public version and while it wasn't written to make a profit, it back tested to the beginning of the year and retained 99% value of the currency traded. Had someone with experience redone it to actually "make a profit" it would have no doubt been better than the EMA based bots.

Future version of butter bot will come with different strategies so that people can choose whatever type they prefer.

Hey Smiley,
  All good ideas!

V4 should come with alternate strategy modules, and we are looking at releasing a new and improved trading engine for Butter in the near future to make it even more profitable. Stay tuned.

Pablo.

This is when you mentioned it.

Heh, I knew someone would provide a post Smiley.

Well it is true, we are working on it, but there is nothing resolute yet. We are back testing several improvements to EMA and we still have to see if they pan out so the new engine is not a foregone conclusion, the new engine must be more profitable than the current one for us to upgrade it.

I hope that answers your question Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 190

Really you should not be using the BOT if you do not understand that it is not 'willy nilly', the whole point is that over time you will see an increase over a 'normal' human trader, but that may include  taking it in the ass once in a while....
There is a 'run test' function and whilst it is a bit basic, it will give you an idea.

For example the recommended settings would have made a significant loss on Mtgox over the past few days.

It gave me enough of an idea to understand the  functionality is not suitable for trading in such a market at the moment, as it stands the BOT is not quite polished enough, and yep I know it makes money, but is also takes rather more 'hits' than it should.

Personally I'm of the mind that the product is in need of significantly more 'safety mechanisms', but I also do not think that a simple 'stop loss' is the answer, specifically because it can be exploited by other traders and in some cases may well be a significant contributing factor to  a 'flash crash'.

That said and despite the BOT going mad and clearing out all my FIAT, I have still managed to manually trade the account to a significantly better position that the BOT over the last two days.
There are some rather 'shitty' patterns emerging from gox at the moment indicating some very rough BOT trading algorithms.

I agree with your assessment.

It takes more hits than it really should. Which like it or not, deducts from future gains.

Right now I am almost finished writing my own arbitrage bot and testing it through it's paces. I too would like Butter Bot to add certain real time simulation features. I think a simulation feature is better than turning on the bot and letting it do trading. This will help you get an idea of the decisions the bot makes in different situations without risking BTC or USD.

------------------------

I would love it if they made a "secure-bot" to "get you out" of the market in the event of a flash crash. Just that feature alone is very useful if you don't intend to do actual EMA based trading. If you do want a bot to watch the current market conditions on a continual basis butter bot would be a good start if you understand the settings.

I think they should package this separate from the normal butter bot set of features.

-------------------------

There are also other types of already coded software based on ADX that don't take anywhere near "the number of hits" that butter bot takes. (not butter bots fault as ADX is just a better indicator IMO)

There is one publicly available but someone decided the neuter the public code so that it didn't do anything other than prevent losses. I back tested the public version and while it wasn't written to make a profit, it back tested to the beginning of the year and retained 99% value of the currency traded. Had someone with experience redone it to actually "make a profit" it would have no doubt been better than the EMA based bots.

Future version of butter bot will come with different strategies so that people can choose whatever type they prefer.

Hey Smiley,
  All good ideas!

V4 should come with alternate strategy modules, and we are looking at releasing a new and improved trading engine for Butter in the near future to make it even more profitable. Stay tuned.

Pablo.

This is when you mentioned it.
Pages:
Jump to: