Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core - page 9. (Read 9286 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
Armstrong should stick to what he is good at, shuffling money around, schmoozing up to political power brokers and extracting personal financial data for reporting to authorities ... and leave his limited technical ability out of the public spotlight, in case people begin to doubt the wisdom of investing in his company.

He can do what he wants to do. Bitcoin is not a darkcoin. If you need a darkcoin, you can change your bitcoins at any time.

At what date did you wake up today? Darkcoins hasn't been called Dark in ages, they are called Dash now.

Everybody knows that. I wrote: ' a darkcoin'. That means any dark cryptocoin.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
what will happen otherwise? they will simply continue to use core? because i think they don't known how consensus, work if they think they can instigate a change in this way

nothing will happen by december, and certainly mainers are not in favor of XT
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners.

Coinbase just exploits its dominant position, this doesn't make it a good company nor adds credibility to that CEO guy words.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
Armstrong should stick to what he is good at, shuffling money around, schmoozing up to political power brokers and extracting personal financial data for reporting to authorities ... and leave his limited technical ability out of the public spotlight, in case people begin to doubt the wisdom of investing in his company.

He can do what he wants to do. Bitcoin is not a darkcoin. If you need a darkcoin, you can change your bitcoins at any time.

At what date did you wake up today? Darkcoins hasn't been called Dark in ages, they are called Dash now.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core by the end of December

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer?

Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners. It's up to you, MOA and alikes to build a better business for the community.

... it's already being built. There are none so blind than those that do not want to see.
legendary
Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core by the end of December

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer?

Maybe not; otherwise they wouldn't attract so many bitcoiners. It's up to you, MOA and alikes to build a better business for the community.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252
I say this with all sincerity to those who want bigger blocks now. Please fork already instead of this constant posturing! Fork the code. Mine your fork. Trade your forked coins. I wish you all the best, and would prefer the community split along these irreconcilable lines.

Do it! Let the chips fall where they may.

Stop talking. Do.

You are right! BTW you can't prevent people from changing the code and thus forking the network anyway.
Activity: 879
Merit: 1013
XT and BIP 101 FTW.

It's time for participants to rise up against the tyranny and lies of Blockstream/Core.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

Coinbase? Isn't it that company which practices tricks bordering with scamming? Like not allowing to sell BTC to realize profits or delaying purchases to make the deal unprofitable for the customer? No, thx.
legendary

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Yeah ok, lets fork bitcoin during this huge pump. That would in no way fuck up the market at all  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
What is the current status on different proposals for this matter?
I haven't looked into it for a while. Any code for the other BIPs, any decisions in sight?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
legendary
Fork Bitcoin Core? No problem. Fork to XT? No, thank you. Stop with the propaganda. This is an appeal to authority, not an argument nor the right way to start a discussion. If you go down this path, we will end up in infinite circles of nonsense again. Wait for Hong Kong, and stop provoking each other.

There are people running Bitcoin Unlimited today.  Bitcoin Unlimited is Core without the block size limit.  It will follow the longest chain composed of valid transactions, using the consensus mechanism described in the Bitcoin white paper.  The reason it is not forking with respect to Core is that the longest chain presently contains only blocks smaller than 1 MB.  In the future, if the longest chain includes blocks larger than 1 MB, then these nodes will follow that chain thereby forking off the Core nodes (assuming Core doesn't increase the block size limit too).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12877811
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Fork Bitcoin Core? No problem. Fork to XT? No, thank you. Stop with the propaganda. This is an appeal to authority, not an argument nor the right way to start a discussion. If you go down this path, we will end up in infinite circles of nonsense again. Wait for Hong Kong, and stop provoking each other.
There are people running Bitcoin Unlimited today.  Bitcoin Unlimited is Core without the block size limit.  
No limit? There are people who want to see Bitcoin burn, and you're one of them. You keep pushing the limits of our tolerance.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
i'm all for not hindering adoption, but not with xt, something like bip103 is better for the feature, because it should mintain the current block limit, until the increase is actually needed

or 101, if 103 reveal to be problematic in some way
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010
I'm hoping that someone creates this client (which has happened) and starts mining on it without getting any percentage of consensus from other mines/users (which has not happened). If they are so sure of themselves, I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. If you build it, they will come. Then we don't need to argue about the merits of small or large blocks anymore, we can simply vote with our wallet.

There are people running Bitcoin Unlimited today.  Bitcoin Unlimited is Core without the block size limit.  It will follow the longest chain composed of valid transactions, using the consensus mechanism described in the Bitcoin white paper.  The reason it is not forking with respect to Core is that the longest chain presently contains only blocks smaller than 1 MB.  In the future, if the longest chain includes blocks larger than 1 MB, then these nodes will follow that chain thereby forking off the Core nodes (assuming Core doesn't increase the block size limit too).  

At the moment, I don't think any miner would dare to publish a block greater than 1 MB because it would almost certainly be orphaned (even by nodes running Bitcoin Unlimited).  It would only make sense to publish large blocks when miners are confident that the majority of the network hash power would build on top of them.  

Yes, I'd like to see someone start mining a fork with > 1 MB blocks. If everyone who wants big blocks now invested some money into mining hardware and just went ahead and did it, I'm sure some existing miners would join and we'd have ourselves a fork and an end to these seemingly endless discussions.

In fact, to make it easier for miners to decide (or remove them from the decision entirely), Bitcoin unlimited should be capable of being merge mined. Wink
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
I say this with all sincerity to those who want bigger blocks now. Please fork already instead of this constant posturing! Fork the code. Mine your fork. Trade your forked coins. I wish you all the best, and would prefer the community split along these irreconcilable lines.

Do it! Let the chips fall where they may.

Stop talking. Do.

You've been here long enough to know how Bitcoin works, there are no forked coins to trade only Bitcoin. And only Bitcoin on the longest chain is valid.

When small block cause Bitcoin to fork Bitcoin won't become an altcoin.

Near enough every altcoin out there is a fork of the Bitcoin codebase, so your assertion is better applied to you in the inverse: you've been here long enough to know how cryptocurrency works, there are no wholly original coins to trade, only Bitcoin forks.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010
Because those running the show right now is the economic majority which means big market makers, those who sell the biggest amount of coins to the public. If they do a move, miners will follow, there is no doubt about that but these guys are being cautious and therefore slow to move. A bunch of them have settle December as a dead line back in August and now, as we approach this deadline and as the block are being full and the economic pressure is building up, Coinbase (which have received the largest investment) is now stepping up stating they will lead the move keeping the same date. It will happen, one must get prepared.

How much of Coinbase's liquid assets are actually in bitcoins? If I had to guess, I'd imagine them to be a company which functions fully on fiat besides their operational requirements.

I suppose Gemini, with the information I have (twins own a lot of coin), is actually part of the economic majority, but I'm not so sure about other "Bitcoin" companies. It would be interesting to know how many of them are actually part of the economic majority.
legendary
Merit: 1007
I'm hoping that someone creates this client (which has happened) and starts mining on it without getting any percentage of consensus from other mines/users (which has not happened). If they are so sure of themselves, I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. If you build it, they will come. Then we don't need to argue about the merits of small or large blocks anymore, we can simply vote with our wallet.

At the moment, I don't think any miner would dare to publish a block greater than 1 MB because it would almost certainly be orphaned (even by nodes running Bitcoin Unlimited).  It would only make sense to publish large blocks when miners are confident that the majority of the network hash power would build on top of them.  
Pages:
Jump to: