Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinGator - page 4. (Read 20318 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 251
June 11, 2013, 03:27:19 AM
It has been decided that the CoinGator project will be discontinued until further notice.
Did Paypal close your account already? Jesus christ that was fast.

No. This is unrelated to PayPal. It was determined that the cost of regulatory compliance would be cost prohibitive.

Oh well if that's all you're worried about, use a different country's paypal. That's not the least of the problems though.

This decision was based on costs exceeding $250,000 USD to operate legally in the United States.

Yea, the US has built up a pretty nice scam for themselves. They get to keep mom'n'pop shops down, and only allow the people with the most to lose to operate (so that they are nice and complacent). Like I said though, Paypal themselves solved that one by incorporating in Singapore and not serving Singaporean citizens. There are always ways around it, but using Paypal as a way to buy bitcoins is the problem, not the MSB licensing imo. At least now I don't need to bump this thread with timers.

Good luck on any other endeavors here in the community, you might be surprised to see even me supporting a few of them if they have sound business models that don't require trust etc.

Here is a little tidbit from https://new.bitinstant.com/whatwedo:

"BitInstant acts as an agent of its partners in all states in which its partners hold a current money transmitter license. In the limited states where BitInstant's partners do not currently have a required money transmitter license, BitInstant will not act as an agent of it's partners and may rely upon other payment methods to legally fulfill Bitcoin purchase orders."

In other words, they aren't MSB's either.  They are relying on the MSB licenses of Moneygram (via ZipZap) and PayPal.  By that logic, since PayPal is licensed, your business should be fine.  My guess is that BitInstant has better lawyers than CoinGator (and most other fledgling Bitcoin enterprises) so you may want to at least field this argument with a lawyer.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
June 08, 2013, 01:04:42 PM
It has been decided that the CoinGator project will be discontinued until further notice.

No. This is unrelated to PayPal. It was determined that the cost of regulatory compliance would be cost prohibitive.

Oh well if that's all you're worried about, use a different country's paypal. That's not the least of the problems though.

This decision was based on costs exceeding $250,000 USD to operate legally in the United States.

Yea, the US has built up a pretty nice scam for themselves. They get to keep mom'n'pop shops down, and only allow the people with the most to lose to operate (so that they are nice and complacent). Like I said though, Paypal themselves solved that one by incorporating in Singapore and not serving Singaporean citizens. There are always ways around it, but using Paypal as a way to buy bitcoins is the problem, not the MSB licensing imo. At least now I don't need to bump this thread with timers.

Good luck on any other endeavors here in the community, you might be surprised to see even me supporting a few of them if they have sound business models that don't require trust etc.
June 08, 2013, 12:19:40 PM

June 08, 2013, 12:03:34 PM
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
I rave ... whats your excuse?!?
June 06, 2013, 07:07:32 PM
The current plan is to reopen next week to a few US states where we can operate legally. Then we will expand the service as we add additional states. We will not be available to customers in states where we are unlicensed as money transmitters due to various legal ambiguities. After we receive additional clarification we will look again into servicing those states.

hmm...alrighty well...how about the state of Washington? Yay or Nay?

The greatest likelyhood is that that state will not be included.

Thank you very much for your reply Cheesy
June 06, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
The current plan is to reopen next week to a few US states where we can operate legally. Then we will expand the service as we add additional states. We will not be available to customers in states where we are unlicensed as money transmitters due to various legal ambiguities. After we receive additional clarification we will look again into servicing those states.

hmm...alrighty well...how about the state of Washington? Yay or Nay?
June 06, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
*Knock Knock Knock*

CoinGater

*Knock Knock Knock*

CoinGater

*Knock Knock Knock*

CoinGater

...any chances of opening back up before the weekend? ty ty! Cheesy
June 05, 2013, 11:37:22 PM
FastCash4Bitcoins
Effective the May 31st, 2013 Tangible Cryptography has suspended new purchases of Bitcoins through our service FastCash4Bitcoins. We take this step in response to a notice received on the same day from the Commonwealth of Virginia that a complaint has been made that our company is operating as an unlicensed money transmitter.

Ruh roh.. CoinGator, what state is your paypal account's address attached to?
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
May 31, 2013, 05:21:20 PM
It's always hard to trust ventures like this...but if nobody took any risks bitcoins wouldn't be where they are today. I'm ok with getting my feet wet from time to time Cheesy

Thank you. And we appreciate your business!
June 05, 2013, 05:43:29 PM
Any expectations of being back up before the weekend?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
June 04, 2013, 08:31:28 PM
I love it, its safe and fast. I used it 3 times /for now Smiley
June 01, 2013, 03:22:34 PM
i love the internet  Roll Eyes
June 01, 2013, 07:47:15 AM
That post wasn't intended to solicit a response from you, but since you took it upon yourself to respond as self-appointed FUD slinger, I thought I would reply.  Enjoy Smiley .

You must not know me very well. Responded to your list for you.
I don't know you at all.  Based upon your ignorance, general demeanor, and refusal to consider facts that directly contradict many of your statements, I have absolutely no desire to get to know you either.  In fact I can't imagine that anyone would want to know you.

Right, last time I signed up for Paypal, it asked me for my IP only and had no idea what my name, address, phone number, etc was.
You're actually recommending people make a fraudulent account that cannot be verified and risk losing *all* their money. Why would anyone take any advice from you after that point?
Nobody said anything about creating a fraudulent account.  More ignorance, incorrect assumptions, and lies.

The NetSpend Cards cannot be used to either verify a PayPal account, or send money to a PayPal account. This is a PayPal policy. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
You obviously haven't tried it, it worked as recently as last week with a card from Advance America (issued by Netspend).

3) Verify the virtual checking account with PP, and register the card itself as a credit card on that PP account.
See above.
Actually, why don't you see above.  Works just fine, at least with the Advance America cards which are Netspend issued.

Your advice is literally misleading people to create fraudulent accounts and you're here to try and convince me that something isn't a scam.
See above.  Nothing I have said has anything to do with creating a fraudulent account, you just happen to have fraud on your mind 24/7 apparently.  No one is trying to convince you of anything, as you quite clearly live in your own impenetrable alternate reality.

Why don't you stop spreading FUD and just wait like the rest of us for the clock to tick down so we can all see if CoinGator is a scam or not instead of professing that they aren't and misleading people into thinking they can ever, ever be protected from Paypal (the company takes money from bank accounts without permission on a regular basis).
It is not only possible, but quite easy to keep PayPal at arm's length (see my original post) if you have a modicum of intelligence.  Since you find it so difficult, perhaps you don't meet this requirement.
legendary
Twitter @realmicroguy
May 31, 2013, 06:35:23 AM
I use another site and their minimum is .3 btc and their maximum is 10 btc. What is your minimum?

ty ty!

The minimum is $1.00 USD. Thank you.
June 01, 2013, 06:46:01 AM
So basically your job in this thread is to spread FUD and hope people get tired of repeating the truth. You must not know me very well. Responded to your list for you.

1) Create a new PayPal account you use only for interaction with this or any other PayPal-based service you consider to be high risk.  For the truly paranoid, create a virtual machine (I use VMWare) that is only used for accessing this account, and install AOL desktop on that virtual machine.  When you start AOL desktop, the virtual machine will access the internet over your existing connection, but will have an AOL IP address that has nothing to do with your normal IP.  You can even verify that you have an AOL IP by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com .  This makes it impossible for PayPal to tie the account to any other account, regardless of any tracking mechanisms they may use.
Right, last time I signed up for Paypal, it asked me for my IP only and had no idea what my name, address, phone number, etc was.

You're actually recommending people make a fraudulent account that cannot be verified and risk losing *all* their money. Why would anyone take any advice from you after that point?

2) Buy a reloadable debit card (I prefer netspend).  These come with a virtual checking account - a routing number and checking account number you can use for direct deposit and for paypal transfers.  But, they are only one way - PP can't ever debit these virtual accounts.
This used to work back in 2009 and is thus plastered all over hacker forums as the "scammer solution" (which is probably where you found it). Paypal has actually partnered with NETSPEND since then, and here is what Paypal has to say about using NETSPEND to verify your accounts:

3) Verify the virtual checking account with PP, and register the card itself as a credit card on that PP account.
See above.

PP will have no way to clawback the money, even if the transactions go bad.  Though the numerous jailhouse lawyers in here will dispute it, there is nothing illegal about this.  Keeping PayPal at arms length is always a good idea, no matter what you are doing with them.
Your advice is literally misleading people to create fraudulent accounts and you're here to try and convince me that something isn't a scam. Why don't you stop spreading FUD and just wait like the rest of us for the clock to tick down so we can all see if CoinGator is a scam or not instead of professing that they aren't and misleading people into thinking they can ever, ever be protected from Paypal (the company takes money from bank accounts without permission on a regular basis).
June 01, 2013, 01:27:36 AM
For anyone truly concerned about PayPal chargebacks with a system like this, it's relatively simple to avoid.  

1) Create a new PayPal account you use only for interaction with this or any other PayPal-based service you consider to be high risk.  For the truly paranoid, create a virtual machine (I use VMWare) that is only used for accessing this account, and install AOL desktop on that virtual machine.  When you start AOL desktop, the virtual machine will access the internet over your existing connection, but will have an AOL IP address that has nothing to do with your normal IP.  You can even verify that you have an AOL IP by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com .  This makes it impossible for PayPal to tie the account to any other account, regardless of any tracking mechanisms they may use.

2) Buy a reloadable debit card (I prefer netspend).  These come with a virtual checking account - a routing number and checking account number you can use for direct deposit and for paypal transfers.  But, they are only one way - PP can't ever debit these virtual accounts.

4) When you have money come in, transfer it to your virtual "checking account".  This adds to your card's balance, and then you can take the money off the card via ATM when the money hits.

PP will have no way to clawback the money, even if the transactions go bad.  Though the numerous jailhouse lawyers in here will dispute it, there is nothing illegal about this.  Keeping PayPal at arms length is always a good idea, no matter what you are doing with them.

Now, at about this point, all of the many legal scholars in here will say "but they could sue!".  First, PayPal may very well refuse to process requested chargebacks for a company that all of a sudden tries to dispute every transaction they have conducted months after the fact.  People Like Matthew N. Right don't really get that PayPal is run by people that see this type of behavior every day.  If this happened, the chargebacks would almost certainly be denied and the company referred to law enforcement for attempting to defraud both Paypal and their recipients.  Second, on the off-chance that PP let these abusive chargebacks through, lawyers - the ones with actual degrees (not to be confused with those posting in this thread) - cost $400/hr+. Because of the cost and the potential that rulings in such lawsuits can set precedents that invalidate parts of their user agreement that could cost them millions, Paypal rarely sues over funds owed from transactions that they allowed to be reversed.  Unless the case is a slam-dunk for them and both the amount owed and the resources of the potential defendant were great enough to offset the litigation cost, they won't engage.  On the rare occasions that they have sued, with perhaps one or two exceptions involving very large amounts of money, they have sued the business involved and not the end user.  You have a vastly better chance of being hit by lightning than suffering a loss from a PP transaction where you followed through on your end of the deal if you use the above steps.

Pedantic arguments aside, if you aren't stupid, dealing with this or any other service can be as close to risk-free as dealing with anyone in the real world allows.
May 31, 2013, 06:48:01 PM
This one...doesn't seem like a scam to me
You wouldn't know it's a scam until the timer has run down.

so I tried it and what do ya know...so far so good.
Look up "long con" for more answers to your hypothetical excuses.

But I'm trying to figure out why you are so adamantly saying its a scam

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but I've never said they were a scam nor did I say they were scammers. I gave them opportunities to explain and learn, they've taken that opportunity to spam their broken business model popular among scammers instead. You can draw whatever conclusion you want, my conclusions so far have only been based on fact. Instead of clogging up the thread with your own misconceptions, go back and read the thread again because I feel like I'll only be repeating myself again and again.
legendary
Twitter @realmicroguy
May 30, 2013, 10:26:29 PM
Matthew, you have no idea what you're talking about. This business is completely different from the businesses that sell people bitcoins for PayPal, which this business does not do. That being said, this business still needs to register with PayPal's legal department, since the buying or selling of currency is against PayPal's terms of use, even when chargebacks are impossible. Check the fastcash4bitcoin thread for how they did that. You will also want to register with FinCEN as a MSB, as per their guidelines.

This is what we're doing and thank you for an intelligent post.
May 31, 2013, 06:28:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHA...I see what you did there Wink You should go to that one btc betting site and start a wager saying CoinGater will take my $12 in 175 days... ...so I can go bet against ya and make another $12 Wink Or be proven wrong...who knows...either way trolling a thread isn't going to scare people away from a service...it is actually what made me use their service just so I could post a note saying "SEE!". So I'll go ahead and take my $12 to IHop and have myself a nice meal and you can continue to troll other satisfied customers and we'll see what we see in 175 days Cheesy

edit: aww...you changed part of your message so I have to as well. I've seen PLENTY of scams in my time on this board...and all of them were pretty easy to spot right away. This one...doesn't seem like a scam to me so I tried it and what do ya know...so far so good. But I'm trying to figure out why you are so adamantly saying its a scam without showing any other proof other than "check the forums"...? Leave em alone or show proof...simple simple no?
May 31, 2013, 06:24:27 PM
no examples?

If you're looking for examples, use the forum's search function. If you're looking for examples specific to this fresh-out-of-newbie-jail account, come back in

Timer removed. End time: 2013-11-23+7:09:59
Pages:
Jump to: