Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Hardware Support **Unofficial - page 17. (Read 56761 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
has anyone here ever recover from Orange / yellow light on the power supply issue? Like half the fans only turn on?

There is apparently a short on the board.  I got as far as pulling the entire board out and washing and scrubbing it with iso 99% and it still has a short. looked through a lighted magnifying glass at ever single component and can not see anything fried or physically damaged... any suggestions?
Activity: 29
Thanks guys for all these suggestions.  I have ordered my Liquid Pro around 10 days ago, and now waiting for it to arrive.  To get my self prepared, may I ask how I should commence with my repair?:

Problems suffered:
1) 2 miners got their whole board not running.  Even the fan on the failed side did not run !!!, The 2 little lights at the back of the PSU got 1 turned "yellow".

2) 3 miners got 1 out of 4 cores not working.

3) some miners got extremely hot, and occasionally stop 1 core, but will return when rest for a while.

Potential solution that I've read from this forum:
1) remove the copper plate, take out the "white" rubber inside, then re-fix the copper plate on the water block.  (really? can someone confirm this works?);

2) remove the thermal paste and apply Liquid Pro.  (this has been proven here I suppose.  Can someone teach me how to apply? 1 little droplet in the middle of each chip, or spread them over the whole chip?  Need to apply on the copper side?)

3) remove the "black & white" chaser cable.  I have tried, no use.

4) switch the power supply large cables between the two boards.  i.e. the supply originally to left board now connect to right board, vice versa. (will try this out maybe)

Can someone confirm the above "potential solution summary", and summarize some key points that I should be aware of before I commence with my Liquid Pro application?

Thanks a million brothers.

Go back earlier in this thread and you will see step by step pics I posted of applying liquid pro. Use the q-tip they provide to spread it around and make sure to cover all areas to the edges just like the pics. Its tricky working with liquid pro but take your time and use a steady hand. I dont know why your power supply has a yellow light
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
Thanks guys for all these suggestions.  I have ordered my Liquid Pro around 10 days ago, and now waiting for it to arrive.  To get my self prepared, may I ask how I should commence with my repair?:

Problems suffered:
1) 2 miners got their whole board not running.  Even the fan on the failed side did not run !!!, The 2 little lights at the back of the PSU got 1 turned "yellow".

3) some miners got extremely hot, and occasionally stop 1 core, but will return when rest for a while.

1) remove the copper plate, take out the "white" rubber inside, then re-fix the copper plate on the water block.  (really? can someone confirm this works?);

2) remove the thermal paste and apply Liquid Pro.  (this has been proven here I suppose.  Can someone teach me how to apply? 1 little droplet in the middle of each chip, or spread them over the whole chip?  Need to apply on the copper side?)

4) switch the power supply large cables between the two boards.  i.e. the supply originally to left board now connect to right board, vice versa. (will try this out maybe)

Can someone confirm the above "potential solution summary", and summarize some key points that I should be aware of before I commence with my Liquid Pro application?

There are some video's on youtube on how to apply. Watch them! I applied it to both the water block and the chips. On the water block you want just enough to cover where the chips make contact with the copper plate ( I could see the outline of the chip on the bottom of my water block). You want to make sure the Liquid Pro don't run like paint when you hold the water block vertical. As for the chips, I put just enough to cover then put about half the size of a BB right in the center of each chip. I used a little more than a syringe when I did mine. What ever you do be very careful with it and do not get it anywhere on the board. Liquid Pro is highly conductive. As for the rest of your questions I'm not sure.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Problems suffered:

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Same deal with mine, just one core though

Has anyone tried just getting rid of all their cooling bullshit and just running this on air?

(I'm thinking cpu tower coolers for each core and a big blower fan blowing across the whole thing...

How big is the area you need to cover? Would normal cpu tower cover it?

The problem is not the coolers. It's the unevenness of the chips (and the ring around the dies) which causes the chips to not make good contact with the bottom of the cooling block. I have tried thermal pads and got lousy results. I have tried reapplying thermal paste several times with different results each time. Then I applied Liquid Pro to both the chips and the bottom of the water block and BINGO. Temps are great now, 59°C-65°C.

Ok, I will order some. But I think I'm still gonna try air cooling, this thing is ungodly loud.

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

As far as I can tell he is no rep. But I can tell you this. The shit works. Just gotta make sure you apply it right. This could mean anything from heavy to extremely light on a chip. Hell the water cooler could be off too. If you apply it correctly, shit just simply works.

Has anyone tried just getting rid of all their cooling bullshit and just running this on air?

(I'm thinking cpu tower coolers for each core and a big blower fan blowing across the whole thing...

The problem is not the coolers. It's the unevenness of the chips (and the ring around the dies) which causes the chips to not make good contact with the bottom of the cooling block. I have tried thermal pads and got lousy results. I have tried reapplying thermal paste several times with different results each time. Then I applied Liquid Pro to both the chips and the bottom of the water block and BINGO. Temps are great now, 59°C-65°C.

Ok, I will order some. But I think I'm still gonna try air cooling, this thing is ungodly loud.

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

LOL, nope not some rep. Just a Terraminer overheating victim. You can see my screenshots of my temps a few pages back if you like. Whatever you do just be careful with the Liquid Pro.

Edit: Also if you're not comfortable applying thermal compound Liquid Pro might not be for you. You can possibly destroy your unit if you get any on your board.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz

I really hope you're not just some liquid pro rep  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz

Activity: 60
OK, so today was the day, i tried the Liquid Pro.
Up to today, temps were in the range of 90-110 deg Celsius, getting hotter every day.
First of all, i cleaned everything with cpmpressed air. Seeing how much dirt was in the radiators, i re-connected the Cointerra and checked.
2 cores still not working, but the other temps 20-30 degrees down.

Lesson 1: clean that shit frequently!

Then started with the liquid pro. Failed 3 times, it did not reboot anymore. Tried with less liquid pro, still not working.
Now i went the other route and took more: better. It booted, but the temps between cores were very different.
So i took it apart again, biut this time also applied a very thin layer of liquid pro to the metal plate from the cooling system.
Result: a dream!
Temps are all under 60 deg Celsius now and even the 2 inactive cores are back. Hashrate has gone from 13xx to exact 1600.

Lesson 2: dont use too much liquid pro is correct, but using not enough will not help either ;-)
I have a machine that has been hashing without issue (other than heat) for the last 3 months.....

Yesterday I rebooted it (via the configuration page) as the pool reported slowing accepted work...

Now it wont restart mining...I just have the "1 TerraMiner Offline: 127.0.0.1" screen.

I have tried:

1, Software rebooting, Via the Configuration page
2, Restating CGMiner, Via the Configuration page
3, Hard rebooting, leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes then plugging it back in
4, Reflashing the firmware

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Are the leds all running the pattern I described in a earlier post?

Not sure.....Its in a CoLo....

With that said, you kind of make it impossible to troubleshoot. I am willing to help, but you are unable to provide any info. Sad
Activity: 188
I have a machine that has been hashing without issue (other than heat) for the last 3 months.....

Yesterday I rebooted it (via the configuration page) as the pool reported slowing accepted work...

Now it wont restart mining...I just have the "1 TerraMiner Offline: 127.0.0.1" screen.

I have tried:

Thanks

Not sure.....Its in a CoLo....

I have tried:

Thanks

Activity: 188

I have tried:

Thanks
 There is a user in this thread that has a unit on ebay for sale. Can you please pm me please?
Activity: 24
this weather is not helping matters, im having boards crap out left and right, over the last few days ive seen three boards die to half power (clicking out when it tries to start the cooling resulting in having to disable the pump) i also have one board rig thats totally dead, one board clicks out on the cooling like the others but on both chips and the other just never powers, im starting to worry that none of these will make it to the end of summer

Beans:

you can do a quick fix by cracking the lid off and just connecting the boards to a pc by usb, just use cgminer with cointerra support compiled in, to restore the beagle fully you may need to get a cloned image from a good one, boot the beagle from the SD, ssh in and dd the working image over the onboard nand
Activity: 518
My unit stopped mining and was not showing up on the LAN yesterday. Just the ctr1 showing red. I rebooted it and after running a few mins it did the same thing. Now, when I boot it up ctr1 shows orange-red for a few seconds then off. After about 5 minutes the light comes on and turns red. The unit never shows up on the LAN so I can't access it. I was able to access it a few times when it first started doing this, I tried re flashing the firmware. Didn't seem to make a difference. It's not really making a lot of sense to me that it's not showing up on the LAN. I would think reflashing the sd card would be a place to start but I don't see any image's for that.
Activity: 29
Here is a pic I circled J11. If you dont have that maybe your version of the boards is different. These boards are printed with model numbers and revisions
I have GSA CARD ASSY: COIN-500-013 REV.B. I had a leak also, it was a small crack in the hose for me. You should be able to locate that leak and fix it just how I did

Scriber.. when was this unit shipped as I have 2 of them, first of April, and I have no J11 wires...

I am curious what this power is going to, and why it is needed on your boards. Following the leads on the board I have pulled now..

I purchased one unit from an ebay user and two from cointerra
ebay purchased in April which was the one leaking and pictured earlier in the post, and Cointerra purchased in June
I dont want to rollback the firmware for a few reasons. I will have to take the miner offline which is lost revenue and I also dont want to risk the other miner going offline. It seems rolling it back does not fix anything either
One of the 16 cores is showing only 35 degrees, core freq of this one is 0, core Volts is also very low at 2, core Performance mode is 90.
100 ghs are missing, so it seems that 1 of the 16 cores is not active.
Any idea if this could be heat related so it is shut down immediately when powering the miner or any other idea what to look for?

Check the leds after first starting the machine and see if all 8 are testing fine, and watch it over time to se if it drops one. I described the pattern they run in an earlier post.
Activity: 60
One of the 16 cores is showing only 35 degrees, core freq of this one is 0, core Volts is also very low at 2, core Performance mode is 90.
100 ghs are missing, so it seems that 1 of the 16 cores is not active.
Any idea if this could be heat related so it is shut down immediately when powering the miner or any other idea what to look for?
Pages:
Jump to: