Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Hardware Support **Unofficial - page 20. (Read 56761 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

No I did not get a better hash rate. The terraminers are designed to run at 1.6Ths regardless of temp until a core hits 120c then it reboots. I also noticed my miners would have one or two cores that where significantly hotter then the rest. I opened my last 3rd machine to cool it and noticed that many of the screws that hold down the cooling block where not even screwed in or they where barley screwed in leaving the cooling block lifted up and not having good contact to the core. Another fail by cointerra. Only apply the LiquidPro to the cores, not the cooling block. Just like the photos I posted.

FYI, my third machine when put back and turned on failed to boot up CTA1. Ive cleaned the board twice but still no mining. It has power but does not boot up and coming online so currently only CTA0 is mining. I will most likely pull this board again and give it a full bath in a last desperate attempt. I was so critical in doing this last cooling job just because of my previous experiences and still I fucked up with no idea how.

If you decide to open clean and cool with LiquidPro its a huge risk but if you can pull it off its well worth it

Hey Scriber how would you go about giving a "full bath" to the board? do you wash it with alcohol or something else? I'm asking because i'm in the same boat as you, I reapplied the thermal compound and now one board does not want to work. CTA0 is working but CTA1 powers up but does not do anything. I've looked at the board all over and don't see anything wrong with the board so i'm willing to trying just about anything to get it working again.

Do you exhibit the same error codes on the led's as I do? I am asking so we can solve this. I don't believe half the unit is fried, I am starting to suspect a bad pump.

Swapped power supplies and unit still worked so that is not the issue. Next problem though, there is a push button near the jumper pins in the back of the board. If you press it, the leds, and sounds will make different noises and error messages. Has anyone played with these? and what does it actually do? What is it changing on the bios of the strike boards?

Folks I am trying to help solve issues, but for the past 4 hours I am merely talking to myself aloud. Lets go to work and solve this shittery piece of machinery. Smiley

No I did not get a better hash rate. The terraminers are designed to run at 1.6Ths regardless of temp until a core hits 120c then it reboots. I also noticed my miners would have one or two cores that where significantly hotter then the rest. I opened my last 3rd machine to cool it and noticed that many of the screws that hold down the cooling block where not even screwed in or they where barley screwed in leaving the cooling block lifted up and not having good contact to the core. Another fail by cointerra. Only apply the LiquidPro to the cores, not the cooling block. Just like the photos I posted.

FYI, my third machine when put back and turned on failed to boot up CTA1. Ive cleaned the board twice but still no mining. It has power but does not boot up and coming online so currently only CTA0 is mining. I will most likely pull this board again and give it a full bath in a last desperate attempt. I was so critical in doing this last cooling job just because of my previous experiences and still I fucked up with no idea how.

If you decide to open clean and cool with LiquidPro its a huge risk but if you can pull it off its well worth it

Hey Scriber how would you go about giving a "full bath" to the board? do you wash it with alcohol or something else? I'm asking because i'm in the same boat as you, I reapplied the thermal compound and now one board does not want to work. CTA0 is working but CTA1 powers up but does not do anything. I've looked at the board all over and don't see anything wrong with the board so i'm willing to trying just about anything to get it working again.

Do you exhibit the same error codes on the led's as I do? I am asking so we can solve this. I don't believe half the unit is fried, I am starting to suspect a bad pump.
 Ok, So I just swapped the wires on the beaglebone from one board to another and the system started fine. The left board (looking from the front) still has the same issues and error When the led's run from right to left, instead of a continued running pattern it hits D43 makes a ticking sound, and then all led's come on and it restarts the pattern.

I have a friend who knows electronics and from what he says yes 99% Isopropyl soaking maybe 10 or 20 min. I even suggested light brushing components with a soft tooth brush. Hes going to help me in a couple days and I will let you know how it turns out. Bummer to hear you have the same problem. I feel like something is up with these units once you open them. I wanted to buy 3 more which I know I will have to cool all of them with liquid pro but after these experiences I dont know what to do. If you bath it in 99% let me know how it works

Hey scriber.. I have a few ideas man. If your going to give it a dip might I suggest what I use for phones and ipads, etc.. My mother works for a jet manufacturer and she supplies me with 99.99% alcohol. I know it may seem like a minor difference, but it isn't. You can order it and I have never seen it local, but it makes a difference. I have soaked 2 different ipods in 99, and never worked, once she brought me the 99.99 to test, it actually made them work. Also, make sure soon as your done, let it hit the sun directely. It is almost like if you dry it that fast, it seals it. I cannot explain it, but I have seen it.

Also. You may not even need to do a dip. It is possible a extremely small piece of Liquid Pro got away from you and alcohol will not help with that. I suggest taking a air compressor first and hitting the shit out of it as high pressure air will make it run off. Test that, then the bath if no go.

I made a post after yours if you have any advice it would be appreciated. Sadly, I think I am going to have to tear it down and do more research.

Good luck guys!
 So glad I found you guys. Hopefully I can provide some help, and possibly get some. First off let me say I think it is great users are doing all they can to make stuff work that should work anyways. I did just hit my ROI on my feb batch unit except for the electric as I have not figured it yet but my rates are really low (.08). With that said, one of my units is only halfway working. I do not believe it has been hacked so that fix will likely end up useless. Reason I say that, with the case open the front d37-d45 leds strobe from right to left when working properly. One side is fine and hashing as expected. The other strobes the same but as soon as the light hits D43, I hear a tick, all lights come on, and it restarts the pattern faster than the one that is working. Has anyone figured out what the lights actually are? I assume that is the 8 chips on that side of the board. If this indeed the case I know the actual chip that is causing the issue. Mind you, this guy does that pattern the second it starts (powers on), so the damaged chip (I am assuming here) is not getting hot as it never even tried to start.

With that said, please tell me if I am on the right track with my thinking, and is there anything I can do? I assume the chip is perma mounted to the board so I cannot simply unplug it and get the other working.

Also, I noticed there is a jumper in the back and one has it on, and the other does not. Just guessing again, but the one with the jumper off is CTA0 and the one with it on is CTA1. What would happen if I put the jumper on the other board?

Just looking for help and I really appreciate the help from this thread. I already ordered the Liquid Pro and will be doing this mod.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0

I have a friend who knows electronics and from what he says yes 99% Isopropyl soaking maybe 10 or 20 min. I even suggested light brushing components with a soft tooth brush. Hes going to help me in a couple days and I will let you know how it turns out. Bummer to hear you have the same problem. I feel like something is up with these units once you open them. I wanted to buy 3 more which I know I will have to cool all of them with liquid pro but after these experiences I dont know what to do. If you bath it in 99% let me know how it works
Activity: 5

I am running at step 9, but only getting 1.5 TH with one core running 20 deg hotter than the others.
Not sure if ist worth a try or wasting time

After some hours or days of the miner running you should be at 1.6th. Its normal to have peaks and drops though. One of my cores that was overheating at 120c would still be hashing fully. I would suggest not opening your machine unless it is overheating. If you notice overtime the temps getting hotter and hotter and hotter then most likely its on its way to overheating. Let the miner run as long as possible until it nears or hits 120c and you have no other option but to open it.
Do you get a better hashrate now with the system running cooler?

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Just ordered the liquid pro, will give it a try. The videos on YouTube dont look too difficult.
Not sure if i only put it on the chip or on the cooler side also?
I am running at step 9, but only getting 1.5 TH with one core running 20 deg hotter than the others.
Not sure if ist worth a try or wasting time
Do you get a better hashrate now with the system running cooler?
Looking good. What are your ambient temps?

Also, what were your temps prior to the mod?

Ambient temps were around 76°F or so.

Temps prior to Liquid Pro were 80°-105°C on power step 7.

Wow, that is very impressive. I didn't anytime to try it out today- I will def be doing this this week. Thanks for the update and info!

what ever you do dont rush this and take your time. I noticed that one of units had so much thermal grease put on from Cointerra, I mean globs of it caked on that when I went to lift the cooling block strings of it hung down and one small string of it fell onto a part of the chips. I cleaned it up but after reassembling my unit CTA0 would not boot up. It had power via the volt meter and the fans where on but no mining. I had to take it apart again pull the board out and get tons of q-tip's and 99% alcohol and clean the heck out of the problem area and surrounding areas. This worked. The unit powered on both miners online. Def a lesson learned
Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Wow, that is very impressive. I didn't anytime to try it out today- I will def be doing this this week. Thanks for the update and info!

Yeah, I was truly impressed with the result of Liquid Pro.

Edit: Ambient temps of 80°F+ my temps will reach around 62° or so. Also the temps I posted are from power step 9.
Temps so far after Liquid Pro applied.

I also vent it outside.

Well just went to power step 9. My temps are now at  55°. Whats a guy to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well its been 4 days now and temps are still in the 50°C range. Still throttles for some reason though.
Well just went to power step 9. My temps are now at  55°. Whats a guy to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A huge THANK YOU to you my friend for your help in fixing this

You're Welcome. Glad it worked.

A huge THANK YOU to you my friend for your help in fixing this
Pages:
Jump to: