Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon - page 15. (Read 35548 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
decentralizedhashing.com
August 04, 2013, 08:40:06 PM
I agree erk, that the scenario you lay out would be ideal.  I think, though, that it is likely the winning companies will be the ones to deliver the most current in chip technology.
Until now ASICs have not used the most cutting edge designs.  Catching up to the most current tech should slow this growth rate a little bit.  Rather than being locked to what is achievable by the bitcoin community, it will be limited by the main technology curve.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 04, 2013, 08:30:04 PM

We love you more. So we will provide you more perf/$ and perf/W. We will not flood the market with dirt-cheap hashpower, but it will be cheaper than others.

The market is unconventional compared to most other IT components. At the moment there are more ASICs producers than there are GPU  chip producers for crypto mining.

You have ASICminer, Avalon, BFL, Bitfury, KNCminer, and you guys, yet If I want to purchase an ASIC device today, the best I can hope for is a negative ROI Block Erupter, or wait for months upon months in a seemingly never ending queue with cash tied up in pre-orders. I have never seen a market like that before, something has to give.

I think the winner will be the company that doesn't rely on pre-orders to fund development/production, and has stock on hand for new product launches. When an item runs out of stock, they stop taking money for it, and send you an email when it's back in stock so you can then place an order. That's how most other online electronics orders seem to work.

Activity: 113
Merit: 10
August 04, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
hi guys

i m little doubtful about the time delivery and the costs of their chips:

i ve contacted open silicon for an asic in april and they told me they wouldn t be able to deliver anything before 8/10 months so when cointerra is anouncing something for the end of this year i m very surprised.

i was told that the nre would be at least 3 m ,so i don t know how they are planning to succeed with 1/2 of this amount

anyway i m following as others

let s watch

Don't be doubtful. You don't know when we started to think we won't deliver. Our costs are lower because we are able to pack more GH/mm2, and we are able to do that because our W/GH is low.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 04, 2013, 08:01:49 PM
We have all the information you are looking for. However, as you know there are other 28nm ASICs in the design phase, and we don't want to reveal too much of our deck before their specs are locked down.

We made a public posting so people know about us and can contact us and we can provide a lot more information under an NDA.

@cointerra -
Your competitor, FastHash HashFast, has provided us with spectacular specs & a word of honor that they'll protect the bitcoin network from unscrupulous miners.
They have also promised to protect us, their customers, with assurance they will not flood the market with dirt-cheap hashpower.
Are you willing to offer the same promise?  Do you love us as much as they do?

We love you more. So we will provide you more perf/$ and perf/W. We will not flood the market with dirt-cheap hashpower, but it will be cheaper than others.

OK then, as long as i get a kiss first & cab fare home.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
August 04, 2013, 07:59:42 PM
Thanks for rooting for Cointerra! We will make all Texans proud Smiley
Most real Texans aren't proud of anything that goes on in Austin, with the possible exception of football.  And then, only some years.   Cheesy

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and greatest of fortune!

Ahem.  Many of the best and brightest go to Austin.

August 04, 2013, 07:53:11 PM
We have all the information you are looking for. However, as you know there are other 28nm ASICs in the design phase, and we don't want to reveal too much of our deck before their specs are locked down.

We made a public posting so people know about us and can contact us and we can provide a lot more information under an NDA.

@cointerra -
Your competitor, FastHash HashFast, has provided us with spectacular specs & a word of honor that they'll protect the bitcoin network from unscrupulous miners.
They have also promised to protect us, their customers, with assurance they will not flood the market with dirt-cheap hashpower.

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
August 04, 2013, 07:52:45 PM
Sorry to break in, a quick question:  Is optimising layout to reduce noise & timing errors considered digital or analog domain? 
I thought a bit about how to answer this question without jumping into jargon and nitpicking. It will not be a direct answer, but an open ending line of thought.

Go into the miner software threads that have the longest history: cgminer and bfgminer. Note what was the allowable and optimum value for the hardware error rate reported as the technologies changed: CPU, GPU, FPGA & ASIC. Do you notice the trend? Which way is moving? What is the allowable error margin for some of the digital and analog devices that you know? You can make up your own mind after answering those questions.

Based on the past experience this subforum will soon be flooded by the posts from the professional bologna slicers. Would you like some NDA with your bologna?
Activity: 378
August 04, 2013, 07:48:03 PM
hi guys

i m little doubtful about the time delivery and the costs of their chips:

i ve contacted open silicon for an asic in april and they told me they wouldn t be able to deliver anything before 8/10 months so when cointerra is anouncing something for the end of this year i m very surprised.

i was told that the nre would be at least 3 m ,so i don t know how they are planning to succeed with 1/2 of this amount

anyway i m following as others

let s watch

Activity: 210
August 04, 2013, 07:41:06 PM

@cointerra -

August 04, 2013, 07:27:08 PM
That's a good question, why start a forum thread to discuss a product that has no public information other than it's an efficient, 28nm ASIC chip.  When you start a forum thread it usually means you have something to tell the public, otherwise why bother?

Seems like we have been seeing several empty 28nm projects get announced recently with:
1) No Hash/BTC metrics
2) No Hash/Watt metric
3) No availability (except very vague "end of the year" type stuff.

Maybe to keep up with the Jones'.  It must seem like the gen2 asic train is leaving the station and they want people to know that the have a car as well (if not yet on the tracks).

Activity: 238
August 04, 2013, 06:51:30 PM
Silicon efficiency effects price, ultimately your ROI, it's probably more important than power efficiency as most ASiCs are not close to worrying about that yet.

Yup, smaller die = more dies per wafer = lower cost per chip.
erk
August 04, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
BTC mining is a drag race, the one who has the most hashing power the earliest wins. I think there's no need for shiny hardware. Unless 28nm cointerra is 10x or more efficient than 55nm Bitfury this hardware is already late in the game. Good luck though, underdogs have certainly changed the rules of the game in the past Wink.

It will be WAY more than 10x efficient than Bitfury

Wow! WAY less than 0.08 W/GH/s. Can we hold you to that? If so you should be advertising it in the OP, as that's a pretty unique USP.

Perf/mm2 and Perf/W are two different metrics. When someone was asking about 10x more than bitfury, I am assuming they were referring to Perf/mm2. Regardless, we are better than BitFury in Perf/W and WAY better in Perf/mm2.

Ah, I thought it sounded a bit too good to be true. It would have been great to have a 1TH/s miner that used about the same amount of power as a lightbulb Grin. I don't want to put words in other people's mouths, but I suspect quite a few people here would read "efficiency" as power efficiency. Silicon efficiency is good too Wink.
Silicon efficiency effects price, ultimately your ROI, it's probably more important than power efficiency as most ASiCs are not close to worrying about that yet.
August 04, 2013, 06:25:52 PM
Maybe to keep up with the Jones'.  It must seem like the gen2 asic train is leaving the station and they want people to know that the have a car as well (if not yet on the tracks).
Yeah, except, as I said earlier:  all of the pre-orders stand the risk of being blown to dust by one real provider, and the probability of one appearing is increasing by the day.  So time is of the essence from that standpoint.  But at an increasing rate, fewer and fewer care how many cars are hitched up to the Twenty-Unicorn driven wagon train. 

The half-life of the honeymoon following the announcement of Manna Mañana is dropping faster than the network hash rate is rising.  Actually, that half-life may be inversely correlated with the latter.

I have to go to dinner. 
Activity: 493
Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!
August 04, 2013, 06:19:42 PM
BTC mining is a drag race, the one who has the most hashing power the earliest wins. I think there's no need for shiny hardware. Unless 28nm cointerra is 10x or more efficient than 55nm Bitfury this hardware is already late in the game. Good luck though, underdogs have certainly changed the rules of the game in the past Wink.

It will be WAY more than 10x efficient than Bitfury

Wow! WAY less than 0.08 W/GH/s. Can we hold you to that? If so you should be advertising it in the OP, as that's a pretty unique USP.

Perf/mm2 and Perf/W are two different metrics. When someone was asking about 10x more than bitfury, I am assuming they were referring to Perf/mm2. Regardless, we are better than BitFury in Perf/W and WAY better in Perf/mm2.

Ah, I thought it sounded a bit too good to be true. It would have been great to have a 1TH/s miner that used about the same amount of power as a lightbulb Grin. I don't want to put words in other people's mouths, but I suspect quite a few people here would read "efficiency" as power efficiency. Silicon efficiency is good too Wink.
Activity: 308
decentralizedhashing.com
August 04, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
Maybe to keep up with the Jones'.  It must seem like the gen2 asic train is leaving the station and they want people to know that the have a car as well (if not yet on the tracks).

I think everyone doing 28nm and lower are in the design phase.  Though they have announced only recently, their webpage states that they are getting close to finishing the initial design.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
August 04, 2013, 05:58:42 PM
2112, how do you perceive Simon Barber and his technical crew?
You know, I tried to understand your question in the context of the currently publicly available information and came up the following answer.

It seems like you are looking for the advice about investing in the hands of the poker players who keep their cards very close to their vests. My engineering advice is a referral to a professional poker player. On this board that would be Brian Micon.

It may look like a blow-off, but it really isn't. I feel ethically obliged to urge people to learn how to distinguish between gambling and investing.

On this occasion I'd like to post a good advice that reeses had given about a year ago:
I'd recommend reading "The Big Con" for some of the history, and watching Confidence and The Sting as examples of the "classic" con games.
I read that book, and although it was written between the world wars, it is very pertaining to Bitcoin. Here's a short excerpt:

• Locating and investigating a well-to-do victim. (Putting the mark up.)
  • Gaining the victim’s confidence. (Playing the con for him.)
  • Steering him to meet the insideman. (Roping the mark.)
  • Permitting the insideman to show him how he can make a large amount of money dishonestly. (Telling him the tale.)
  • Allowing the victim to make a substantial profit. (Giving him the convincer.)
  • Determining exactly how much he will invest. (Giving him the breakdown.)
  • Sending him home for his amount of money. (Putting him on the send.)
  • Playing him against a big store and fleecing him. (Taking off the touch.)
  • Getting him out of the way as quietly as possible. (Blowing him off.)
  • Forestalling action by the law. (Putting in the fix.)
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
August 04, 2013, 05:25:56 PM
@cointerra when can we expect some details about the products? Atleast the technical details of the chips.?

That's a good question, why start a forum thread to discuss a product that has no public information other than it's an efficient, 28nm ASIC chip.  When you start a forum thread it usually means you have something to tell the public, otherwise why bother?

They are looking to round up investors customers, get the PR train rolling ASAP!

And we will offer substantial discounts for pre orders

http://www.cointerra.com/faq/
August 04, 2013, 05:21:27 PM
Sorry, I meant this: if, for example, you and me signed NDA then they could make a conference call with you and me all together
Yes, I understand.  My point, though, was this:  if you and I are simply potential customers, there is no reason to provide us with any information that could not be announced generally.  

On the other hand, if either you, or I, or both, expressed potential involvement in the business, then they, and we, would have no interest or advantage in a joint discussion.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
August 04, 2013, 05:20:41 PM

Seems like we have been seeing several empty 28nm projects get announced recently with:
1) No Hash/BTC metrics
2) No Hash/Watt metric
3) No availability (except very vague "end of the year" type stuff.

erk
August 04, 2013, 05:15:44 PM
@cointerra when can we expect some details about the products? Atleast the technical details of the chips.?

Pages:
Jump to: