Pages:
Author

Topic: Colonizing Mars - page 7. (Read 4683 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
April 23, 2014, 02:56:46 PM
Remember that many modern devices and technologies we now take for granted were once hailed as science fiction. There are concept sketches of primitive tanks and airplanes from I believe the medieval time period. Cell phones and lasers were once thought of as wild science fiction ideas, now they are widely used. Space ships were thought of as outrageously absurd until the early to mid-1900s.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
April 23, 2014, 02:42:06 PM
I don't have time to do too much research but here is this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
There are many proposed methods of doing this.

The terraforming of Mars is the hypothetical process

It seems to be pretty much science fiction as this point
No. Hypothetical because we haven't even been able to send a single person to Mars, not to mention trying to terraform it. Even something fast as a warp drive isn't science fiction anymore, because the proper research is being done (the main issue is the amount of energy that we need).

That's not it at all. It's hypothetical because it's just fantasy based on what's theoretically possible. None of what they suggested has been tested and unlikely ever will.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 02:31:13 PM

No. Hypothetical because we haven't even been able to send a single person to Mars, not to mention trying to terraform it. Even something fast as a warp drive isn't science fiction anymore, because the proper research is being done (the main issue is the amount of energy that we need).
April 23, 2014, 02:26:36 PM
Terraforming Mars wouldn't be expensive. I can't really remember the details, but I did see a video once on how it could be done. It didn't seem like an expensive thing to do (when you're already up there).

Anything to back this up? Is true terraforming actually even possible? Just actually getting the stuff you needed there would probably the costliest thing ever.

legendary
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 02:22:21 PM
Terraforming Mars wouldn't be expensive. I can't really remember the details, but I did see a video once on how it could be done. It didn't seem like an expensive thing to do (when you're already up there).

Anything to back this up? Is true terraforming actually even possible? Just actually getting the stuff you needed there would probably the costliest thing ever.
April 23, 2014, 02:14:32 PM
I don't think terraforming has to be prohibitively expensive. The bigger issue is we just need to get people up there. If you try to predict every future expense and plan it all out like 100 years in advance it will just never begin. One piece at a time, then keep growing and adding things and others will jump on the bandwagon and send up their own colonists... really we just need to get the ball rolling.

It'd be the most expensive thing ever conducted. I imagine colonizing a planet and building infrastructure would be too.

legendary
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 02:08:22 PM
I don't think terraforming has to be prohibitively expensive. The bigger issue is we just need to get people up there. If you try to predict every future expense and plan it all out like 100 years in advance it will just never begin. One piece at a time, then keep growing and adding things and others will jump on the bandwagon and send up their own colonists... really we just need to get the ball rolling.

It'd be the most expensive thing ever conducted. I imagine colonizing a planet and building infrastructure would be too.
Activity: 366
Merit: 250
April 23, 2014, 02:03:08 PM
I dont think they'll find any evidence of prior life on mars.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
April 23, 2014, 02:01:17 PM
I heard something about that. I think there was already some selection of potential candidates for a flight to Mars. I am not sure, but that is one way ticket, and those people will stay there. I am not sure if those plans will be realized, but that is what I read about that. Time will tell.
April 23, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
I personally think Mars is already colonized but I don't have any proof just speaking my mind.  The more I've learned about the world the more something like that would surprise me.

lolwat? There was or is a rover on mars - I'm sure it would've seen this colonisation.

I believe there are two rovers and it seems like they keep finding more and more evidence that's leaning towards the possibility of prior life having existed on Mars (though of course nothing concrete yet.) Let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that we didn't even know they was water on Mars.

As far as man-made structures, I have not heard of this but I am totally open to the idea that there may be or may have been intelligent life on Mars and elsewhere. Any basic mathematician can tell you that the probability of there being more than 1 planet with intelligent life in the entire universe, is much greater than the probability of Earth being the only planet with intelligent life.

There probably is life elsewhere in the universe but not any where close to earth.
April 23, 2014, 01:49:06 PM
I personally think Mars is already colonized but I don't have any proof just speaking my mind.  The more I've learned about the world the more something like that would surprise me.

lolwat? There was or is a rover on mars - I'm sure it would've seen this colonisation.

I believe there are two rovers and it seems like they keep finding more and more evidence that's leaning towards the possibility of prior life having existed on Mars (though of course nothing concrete yet.) Let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that we didn't even know they was water on Mars.

As far as man-made structures, I have not heard of this but I am totally open to the idea that there may be or may have been intelligent life on Mars and elsewhere. Any basic mathematician can tell you that the probability of there being more than 1 planet with intelligent life in the entire universe, is much greater than the probability of Earth being the only planet with intelligent life.

I think it's mainly narcissism that leads many people to be so resistant to the idea that yes, there probably are other intelligent species out there in the universe and the idea that we are "alone" is quite naive and silly at this point.
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
April 23, 2014, 01:42:30 PM
It is a pic of Wilfred the dog.  A character on the tv show "Wilfred".  He's holding a cannabis plant and smelling it.
April 23, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
There was also evidence of microbial life on Mars and structures that looked man made.  So many things that should be talked about and widely known aren't and when someone brings them up they are laughed at...  True or not the topics are not a laughing matter IMO.  I mean what does that say about our society as a whole?

Edit:  And my comments aren't met directed at you personally Dogtanian.  Really just making an observation.

I haven't seen any pictures on objects looking man made but there are some intersting rock formations or whatever.

What is your avatar from btw?
April 23, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
There was also evidence of microbial life on Mars and structures that looked man made.  So many things that should be talked about and widely known aren't and when someone brings them up they are laughed at...  True or not the topics are not a laughing matter IMO.  I mean what does that say about our society as a whole?

Edit:  And my comments aren't met directed at you personally Dogtanian.  Really just making an observation.
April 23, 2014, 01:20:25 PM
I personally think Mars is already colonized but I don't have any proof just speaking my mind.  The more I've learned about the world the more something like that would surprise me.

April 23, 2014, 01:14:25 PM
I personally think Mars is already colonized but I don't have any proof just speaking my mind.  The more I've learned about the world the more something like that would surprise me.
April 23, 2014, 12:42:36 PM
I think the real "cost" of anything they do on Mars is hard to judge. Some of what they need in terms of materials may end up coming from Mars itself. Once we get people up there, are they going to be "paid" for the time they spend performing useful tasks on Mars? This is a really interesting question. Would they be paid on Earth or on Mars? Keep in mind that at least for Mars One, the current plan is for them to stay on Mars indefinitely - there isn't really a return trip planned.

If they aren't going to be paid other than having their living needs accommodated, they would be more or less working for free once they are up there, with the motivation being that the 'work' they do is improving the environment they now live in. I'd say that's a pretty powerful motivator. Although I suspect an economy would spring up and they'd begin bartering with each other, especially as more colonists are added. But in the beginning, with like 4 or 8 people? Doubtful.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
April 23, 2014, 12:36:33 PM
The people that are going to fly to the mars are trained by professionals and  in these  few year training they'll be just like real researchers. They are not going there without any knowledge just to be there haha  Tongue
April 23, 2014, 10:58:52 AM

April 23, 2014, 10:56:22 AM
Pages:
Jump to: