Pages:
Author

Topic: CPU only mining dead? - page 3. (Read 8084 times)

Activity: 584
Merit: 500
December 14, 2014, 05:36:25 AM
CPU only mining means the network is at the mercy of botnets. The investors buying that coins awould be supposrting the botnet owners.

CPU mining is a handicap for any coin, thats why they are mostly abandoned now.
Activity: 540
Merit: 501
chickens and cryptos
December 14, 2014, 05:23:30 AM
viable CPU mining ... good question. under merged mining with ghs as the earning then yes..   for how long??... i can say this..  my cpus have a primary purpose (business) and mining is at only during idle.. hopefully all at the same time.. and can be rewarding.. 
Activity: 501
Merit: 503
December 14, 2014, 05:04:49 AM
CPU mining dead?? hahaha.. reallY??  CEX.IO merged mining on a 2 x Xeon and Phenom on separates runs are low to fair results on ltc.ghash.io:3333 and having 6 local computers on a stratum proxy at a giving time did show an increase on earnings to now able to buy 1 ghs a week Smiley for over a month and half.. i need more clients on my local network.. and i need room (space) Sad..   just started to earn euros...   .10 so far in a couple days..  cpu mining dead???  its fun so far!!  

not quite getting what you are trying to say. Are you saying you have a viable CPU mining option?
Activity: 540
Merit: 501
chickens and cryptos
December 14, 2014, 04:55:37 AM
CPU mining dead?? hahaha.. reallY??  CEX.IO merged mining on a 2 x Xeon and Phenom on separates runs are low to fair results on ltc.ghash.io:3333 and having 6 local computers on a stratum proxy at a giving time did show an increase on earnings to now able to buy 1 ghs a week Smiley for over a month and half.. i need more clients on my local network.. and i need room (space) Sad..   just started to earn euros...   .10 so far in a couple days..  cpu mining dead???  its fun so far!!   
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
December 13, 2014, 08:57:38 PM
Hi All,
What of them is the most profitable now?

Best regards,

coin with good POS
surprise ?  Cheesy
for example: TEK, HBN ...
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
http://s17.postimg.org/r6nj81f57/image.png
December 13, 2014, 04:55:59 PM
Hi All,
What of them is the most profitable now?

Best regards,
December 07, 2014, 08:59:06 AM
Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein.  

That's hugely prone to massive GPU mining, Skeincoin has a gpu miner.

Skeincoin uses a SHA256 hash chained with Skein and Woodcoin doesn't.  The jury is still out on how much an improvement GPUs will give with pure skein.  Skein was designed to be fast on CPU.  So far there is no evidence of GPU or ASIC mining of woodcoin.      

I'll study it later today.

To anyone interested, l'll be running a trial of momentum merged mining sometime this week.
legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
December 07, 2014, 06:03:57 AM
Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein.  

Skeincoin uses a SHA256 hash chained with Skein and Woodcoin doesn't.  The jury is still out on how much an improvement GPUs will give with pure skein.  Skein was designed to be fast on CPU.  So far there is no evidence of GPU or ASIC mining of woodcoin.      

December 07, 2014, 04:14:40 AM
Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein. 

Activity: 204
December 06, 2014, 08:50:10 PM
Riecoin?

Never heard of this one, gonna look it up.

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius

it's not true
and problems in one exchange (secret Comkort  Wink)
http://ric.nonce-pool.com/index.php?page=statistics&action=pool
December 06, 2014, 08:22:47 PM
Byte cent is cpu only and is resistant to botnets and supercomputers. Primes per second / hash rate is limited to that of a high end i7 cpu and you cannot mine multiple instances to one wallet. Wallet must hold x byte cents to mine without entering a capcha code. Genius.

Not genius, actually opposite

Here are some simple PoW rules

1) inexpensive to verify vs generate
2) difficulty adjustable in both directions

Primes only get bigger.

Dedicated cpu miners use Aws instances which they pay for,  as a result, we have to maintain that PoW remain a fire and forget solution. A lot of people confuse cpu mining with home/desktop mining., there is NO known effective method of PoW that cannot be replicated on a larger computer.

As for the claim of not being able to mine multiple instances to one wallet, LOL , what a load of dung (not u, the developer). The only thing that matters is the block chain, seeing as it does not recognize or record how many instances I am running, I can just modify the source code to allow it without in anyway creating a fork. How one mines is not something that can be controlled.

It is not everyone that owns a high end I7, as a result, byte cent is a community failure as it alienates the majority cpu owners. I'd say most play with dual core and quad cores, the most popular being the moderate I5.

Perhaps I am wrong, but mining should not require any input other than your hardware. The stipulation of minimum balances and captcha codes are barriers to entry and have the effect of driving away potential users.

I think that momentum is a successful attempt because

1) it's target exclusions are the small business computers which  make up the majority of botnets.
2 while GPU mining is available, it's scale vs cpu mining is similar to just having a next generation processor, and if the launch is fair,  even that advantage is lowered by scale.
3) momentum can easily be modified to suit any conditions as evidenced by the existing 3 unique variants

Today I focus on cryptonote based coins, just to get a feel of what is going on in there.
December 06, 2014, 07:55:02 PM
CPU mining is long dead because of the botnets being used. but still i do hope that some could develop a cpu only coin which is resistant to botnets.

Momentum PoW is somewhat botnet resistant. Each thread uses 750Mb memory. So computers infected with malware will be unusably slow when mining this algo. It does nothing to prevent AWS instances. But thats fine in my book since someone is paying for those instead of using some poor slobs cpu cycles without his knowledge.

The coins that use this algo are Protoshare, Noirshares, umm... help me out here, I think there are one or two more.

memorycoin

Thus far I've found 3 implementations each unique for momentum PoW.

I am working with the original trying to see if merged mining is possible. That would be a treat.

Barwizi recently released a NoirShares update that eliminates gpu mining for now, I wonder how long that will last.
Activity: 177
December 06, 2014, 06:23:09 PM
Byte cent is cpu only and is resistant to botnets and supercomputers. Primes per second / hash rate is limited to that of a high end i7 cpu and you cannot mine multiple instances to one wallet. Wallet must hold x byte cents to mine without entering a capcha code. Genius.
legendary
Khazad ai-menu!
December 06, 2014, 11:07:50 AM
CPU mining is long dead because of the botnets being used. but still i do hope that some could develop a cpu only coin which is resistant to botnets.

This doesn't make sense.  A proof of work consensus network IS a botnet.  Nobody is out there calculating hashes with wetware. 
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
My mule don't like people laughing
December 06, 2014, 10:42:20 AM

Momentum PoW is somewhat botnet resistant. Each thread uses 750Mb memory. So computers infected with malware will be unusably slow when mining this algo. It does nothing to prevent AWS instances. But thats fine in my book since someone is paying for those instead of using some poor slobs cpu cycles without his knowledge.

The coins that use this algo are Protoshare, Noirshares, umm... help me out here, I think there are one or two more.
Activity: 772
December 06, 2014, 10:21:54 AM
Activity: 672
December 06, 2014, 10:18:54 AM
in btc world - dead.
legendary
Khazad ai-menu!
December 06, 2014, 08:02:18 AM
Another one is woodcoin.
Currently 100% mined with CPU.  Algo is double skein. 
December 06, 2014, 02:07:20 AM
Ok, so anyone heard of merged mining on any of these CPU only coins ?
Pages:
Jump to: