Pages:
Author

Topic: CPU only mining dead? - page 5. (Read 8084 times)

Activity: 534
Merit: 500
December 03, 2014, 05:55:49 AM
CPU mining would probably still be available on new or unpopular altcoins.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
December 02, 2014, 11:26:51 PM
If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)

So who else would be expected to know how to code against gpu implementation?

Also YOU ARE A LIAR , there was never a mining fee for NRS.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
December 02, 2014, 10:31:08 PM
If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)
legendary
December 02, 2014, 08:23:14 PM

Activity: 177
Merit: 100
December 02, 2014, 08:18:25 PM
Bytecent is cpu only, and actually quite possible to mine with a laptop.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
December 02, 2014, 07:05:44 PM
is very hard for only use cpu mining now throught technology

you know , all the cpu only coin finally become gpu coin Angry
legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108
December 02, 2014, 04:56:32 PM
I don't see much push for that in recent months, has the community given up?

I like the concept a lot and really wish someone would push it on.

To be CPU friendly you need to mostly avoid computation (which ASICs and GPUs excel at)
and focus on random access latency to hundreds of MB of DRAM (which CPUs excel at).

Cuckoo Cycle does that and is instantly verifiable. See https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo for details.
Activity: 501
Merit: 503
December 02, 2014, 03:41:21 PM
Merged mining? I've only seen that on scrypt and sha , possible with your algorithm? Has anyone actually tested GPU resistance on yours ?
legendary
December 02, 2014, 03:39:27 PM
You mean Botnet only mining ?
No i think you mean everyone mines with CPU while only 4 guys mine with GPU.

Is it a requirement for someone who develops a gpu miner to release it to the public without profit? I encourage people to develop and sell their code. Much like what happened with PTS.

Other than that, go my way, I keep making changes that render GPU mining inefficient.
legendary
December 02, 2014, 03:35:06 PM
I'm still on it, the new NoirShares uses modified Momentum PoW algorithm which is currently CPU only.

If you are planning an alt I would recommend either of the three versions of momentum : Memorycoin , NoirShares & ProtoShares

If you do protoshares or NoirShares, maybe put some merged mining so people can maximise profits.
Activity: 501
Merit: 503
December 02, 2014, 03:29:42 PM
I don't see much push for that in recent months, has the community given up?

I like the concept a lot and really wish someone would push it on.
Pages:
Jump to: