Pages:
Author

Topic: CPU only mining dead? - page 4. (Read 8084 times)

Activity: 501
Merit: 503
December 04, 2014, 09:27:52 PM
Riecoin?

Never heard of this one, gonna look it up.

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius

Having trouble syncing, 2 weeks since the last block...too long, I guess that's the problem with one direction difficulty adjustment.

I'm having fun playing with other cpu algos on my private net. I'll be sure to update
Activity: 452
Merit: 250
December 04, 2014, 08:56:01 PM
Riecoin?

Looking for CPU mining on 32-core with 128GB I just looked at Riecoin on an exchange: trading halted until new block has been found (>2 weeks now!). Seems that it's cpu-only alright, which is strange for RIE wants to find primes I believe Smiley

DO keep us updated please Smiley

http://cpucoinlist.com/

Devvie
twitter.com/devnullius
December 04, 2014, 06:45:40 PM
Riecoin?

AGD
legendary
Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
December 04, 2014, 04:53:34 PM
Riecoin?
December 04, 2014, 01:38:44 PM
Final verdict on first implementation of momentum:

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I'll be testing memorycoin now and I'll post about my findings later. Throughout the day tomorrow I'll test all the suggested coins and algorithms respectively.

I wonder if there's a way of reducing the effectiveness of botnets. Any ideas guys ?

you can't really reduce the effectiveness of botnets without hurting cpu/gpu ratio.
One attempt was done to create an antibotnet coin (so to speak) by requiring huge amount of memory (>32Gb, more than most computer, mine included... ) assuming botnets runs on standard to low-end computers... but that was just stupid, in my opinion...

I just finished testing HeavyCoin and Memorycoin, I think there is a future for momentum. Barwizi's NoirShares 2.0 version left me with some questions though.

Memorycoin's performance was almost similar to the first implementation.

HeavyCoin is actually surprising that it is not popular. People seem to have become so focused on the asic race, that all these great attempts at keeping gpu and cpu mining alive are just being ignored.

I can see how increasing the required ram can affect botnets , but overall, I guess one needs to fond middle ground.

So from this list, only NoirShares 2.0 is still cpu only, mineable with reference client. I would love to see this put to the test though, Barwizi was accused of some nasty stuff , so it would be great to have some independent analysis of the code.

I'll look into KryptoKash now and report in later.
Actually, I looked back to the thread and Kryptohash isn't cpu only, they released a gpu miner.
There is some gpu resistance as they compute a rather long hash, but that's it.

That's rather disappointing, but after todays irc , I finally understood. Basically what I got it that the moment a currency gains enough popularity and has a good price as incentive, then a gpu miner will somehow pop up.

Since I am in no way a hash function expert I guess that's it for now until someone designs or modifies an existing one to fit the bill.

Do you have any clear idea what was done to create neo-scrypt?
I have an idea, I'm gonna try it out later tonight for fun and just to see if it's even possible.

What is the lowest hashrate you have ever seen? on NoirShares, I was getting 3 - 4 hashes per minute only with a i5 desktop

Ah, I remembered something, do you know the original OneCoin ? Seems it uses a unique algorithm as well.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
December 04, 2014, 07:56:54 AM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I'll be testing memorycoin now and I'll post about my findings later. Throughout the day tomorrow I'll test all the suggested coins and algorithms respectively.

I wonder if there's a way of reducing the effectiveness of botnets. Any ideas guys ?

you can't really reduce the effectiveness of botnets without hurting cpu/gpu ratio.
One attempt was done to create an antibotnet coin (so to speak) by requiring huge amount of memory (>32Gb, more than most computer, mine included... ) assuming botnets runs on standard to low-end computers... but that was just stupid, in my opinion...

I just finished testing HeavyCoin and Memorycoin, I think there is a future for momentum. Barwizi's NoirShares 2.0 version left me with some questions though.

HeavyCoin is actually surprising that it is not popular. People seem to have become so focused on the asic race, that all these great attempts at keeping gpu and cpu mining alive are just being ignored.

I can see how increasing the required ram can affect botnets , but overall, I guess one needs to fond middle ground.

So from this list, only NoirShares 2.0 is still cpu only, mineable with reference client. I would love to see this put to the test though, Barwizi was accused of some nasty stuff , so it would be great to have some independent analysis of the code.

Actually, I looked back to the thread and Kryptohash isn't cpu only, they released a gpu miner.
There is some gpu resistance as they compute a rather long hash, but that's it.
December 04, 2014, 04:45:38 AM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

I think I'll start a thread to keep track of cpu only coins and hopefully by keeping others in the know, they will return the favour
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
December 04, 2014, 12:54:51 AM
Today Kryptohash a new false cpu only coin was released (GPU coin without miners is more exact... keccak+ long hash to be hashed through sha256), but I discovered it discussing other things on irc... so now, yes it is probably better to be in the know to find those coins...
Not really. There are more Shitcoins than days on a calendar. Just ignore them, trade on top marketcaps. Easy!
legendary
December 03, 2014, 11:28:30 PM
Also, why does it seem like all cpu coins start with very low difficulty? Almost zero difficulty, meaning that they were all instamined by those in the know.

Anyone ever mined HeavyCoin?
I mined Heavycoin, but it was already a gpu coin...
But at the time when HVC got launched there wasn't 10 coins/day, so it was rather easy to follow and spot on the announcement thread, now it is just madness. Nevertheless some were ninja launched: x13, fugue (RIP) and some other with low diff.
Actually the low diff is justifiable by the fact that there is only cpu at launch, so you need a lower difficulty...

Today Kryptohash a new false cpu only coin was released (GPU coin without miners is more exact... keccak+ long hash to be hashed through sha256), but I discovered it discussing other things on irc... so now, yes it is probably better to be in the know to find those coins...
legendary
December 03, 2014, 11:12:19 PM

Pretty good at discouraging GPU  if the price is right, but if it ever goes high enough, then the difference between cpu and GPU becomes more apparent. Overall I guess it gets 6.5-7 / 10

December 03, 2014, 08:52:39 PM
Also, why does it seem like all cpu coins start with very low difficulty? Almost zero difficulty, meaning that they were all instamined by those in the know.

Anyone ever mined HeavyCoin?
December 03, 2014, 08:49:29 PM

Btw , thanks for all the replies, the information is very useful
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
December 03, 2014, 05:10:38 PM
Memorycoin was the only coin that had botnetless CPU mining.
Other than that, CPU mining is long botted (dead)

That's what the CPU miners want you to think. They are lurking with their price charts to determine exactly when AWS instances become profitable. The big guys can fire up hundreds of instances within 30 seconds.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
December 03, 2014, 03:40:44 PM
Monero is CPU minable. GPU does not have much advantage. CPU mining is more efficient in terms of hash/J.
December 03, 2014, 02:55:23 PM

So you mean the memorycoin implementation is better? I haven't had a chance to really look at the difference.

I'll test it out later , I want to first compare the balances of my gpu vs cpu NoirShares 1.0 .

December 03, 2014, 02:50:12 PM
If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)

So who else would be expected to know how to code against gpu implementation?

Also YOU ARE A LIAR , there was never a mining fee for NRS.
this is funny how fast you are to jump on the "you are a liar" stuff... I might I found something here and people dealing with your coin should really be worried   Grin
Also I have absolutely no reason to lie on gpu miner fee (who gives the shit ?). I mine NRS after launch and there was a gpu miner with 25% fee, I even complained about it as each time it got disconnected, it was just restarting mining for the gpu dev (that a smart one  Grin).
But if you don't know it is ok to say "I don't know", no reason to call others "liar" over your own ignorance.

To be honest, if someone was asking me to make a cpu only coin, gpu resistant. I would probably refuse... (well with enough btc...  Grin) because having a gpu dev doing this would probably cause more FUD on the coin than anything else.

I managed to get a copy of the original NRS and the material surrounding momentum.

I found lots of miners, some you pay some you don't, some mine a bit to some hard coded address , some whack shit.

but the actual momentum is pretty interesting, I am testing out the difference between GPU vs CPU and while the difference is noticeable, it's not as bad as I've seen elsewhere.

Barwizi, why did you change it?
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090
=== NODE IS OK! ==
December 03, 2014, 06:41:32 AM
legendary
December 03, 2014, 06:36:02 AM
If you don't want complicated stuff just go for GPU hard algorithms, while not completely CPU only, the GPU advantage is quite small.

The current version I use was developed by Dan, Freetrade and modified by a gpu miner dev. Even with CPU mining , it effectively relies more on luck than processor power.
when usually I read "modified by a gpu miner dev" (to make it gpu hard), I always think "yeah right... good one..."  Grin

Anyhow, you probably made a gpu dev very happy  Grin (well... keeping in mind that the last time at look at noirshares, there was 25% gpu dev fee... may-be he just doesn't care, he always raped the coins no matter what...  Grin)

So who else would be expected to know how to code against gpu implementation?

Also YOU ARE A LIAR , there was never a mining fee for NRS.
this is funny how fast you are to jump on the "you are a liar" stuff... I might I found something here and people dealing with your coin should really be worried   Grin
Also I have absolutely no reason to lie on gpu miner fee (who gives the shit ?). I mine NRS after launch and there was a gpu miner with 25% fee, I even complained about it as each time it got disconnected, it was just restarting mining for the gpu dev (that a smart one  Grin).
But if you don't know it is ok to say "I don't know", no reason to call others "liar" over your own ignorance.

To be honest, if someone was asking me to make a cpu only coin, gpu resistant. I would probably refuse... (well with enough btc...  Grin) because having a gpu dev doing this would probably cause more FUD on the coin than anything else.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
Pages:
Jump to: