Pages:
Author

Topic: CryptoNote technical discussion and Chess Challenge - page 18. (Read 96054 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 503
Legendary trader
h4: 1 vote (Morecoin)
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Monero has chosen to play Nc5. Now it is time for Team Boolberry to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

white to move

Team Boolberry (white pieces) vs. Team Monero (black pieces)
Game 2 PGN:
Code:
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.c4 Bg7 4.Nc3 O-O 5.e4 d6 6.Be2 e5 7.d5 a5 8.Bg5 h6 9.Be3 Na6 10.h3 Nh5 11.Qd2 Nf4 12.O-O-O Nxg2 13.Bxh6 Bxh6 14.Qxh6 Qf6 15.Kb1 Nf4 16.Nd2 Nc5
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
Qg7: 2 votes (mathgal23, XMRpromotions)
Nc5: 3 votes (letsplayagame, newb4now, 8XMR)
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Nc5: 1 vote (letsplayagame)

Nc5: 2 votes (letsplayagame, newb4now)
Activity: 308
Can you also explain why these Monero transactions are stuck? Is the issue somehow related to the mixin? I do not see any old transactions with mixin 1 stuck.

There was an issue with version 0.9.0, which is now fixed in 0.9.1, where it was creating transactions that are too large for the current block size. (The cause of the problem is the minimum median block size will increase from 20 to 60 KB after the upcoming fork in late March, but this change incorrectly activated too early in the transaction-construction code of the wallet.)

The transactions expire from each node's memory pool but they may get re-added if another node retransmits them. This incorrect re-adding is fixed in an upcoming release.

Finally, I think the block explorers continue to display transitions that don't get mined even if they are dropped from the node's pool. The explorers have their own database.

How long does it take before the transactions expire from each node's memory pool? Once unconfirmed transactions expire are they spendable again from the party who initially made the transaction? Is this process automatic or does something need to be done to make the coins reappear in the senders wallet?

If I understand you correctly the block explorer data is not necessarily evidence of expired transactions being retransmitted. Instead the block explorers may simply be displaying a database of unconfirmed transactions that is not updated upon expiration.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Can you also explain why these Monero transactions are stuck? Is the issue somehow related to the mixin? I do not see any old transactions with mixin 1 stuck.

There was an issue with version 0.9.0, which is now fixed in 0.9.1, where it was creating transactions that are too large for the current block size. (The cause of the problem is the minimum median block size will increase from 20 to 60 KB after the upcoming fork in late March, but this change incorrectly activated too early in the transaction-construction code of the wallet.)

The transactions expire from each node's memory pool but they may get re-added if another node retransmits them. This incorrect re-adding is fixed in an upcoming release.

Finally, I think the block explorers continue to display transitions that don't get mined even if they are dropped from the node's pool. The explorers have their own database.
Sorry @boolberry, posted just a few minutes before our deadline as the move seem to be set.

I was just excited to see @letsplayagame sport an XMR address in his signature  Grin Grin

I don't mind at all! Yes it is nice to see more people support CryptoNote. I might even send him a tip:)

Tips are not not necessary, I just want to help support CryptoNote development. I did not include a BBR address in my signature because nobody asked me to until today. I do not have a BBR wallet, but will consider downloading one when I have more time.

Speaking of Boolberry, is it under a spam or DDOS attack today? I see lots of dust transactions and very irregular block times.

If there is a spam attack do the XMR and BBR networks respond in the same way? If not what are the differences?

The main difference is XMR has higher fees, and more value (which matters to the mining penalty) so spam is more expensive.

It isn't clear what happened with BBR earlier. Some nodes were reported to have crashed but that may have just been pools. I started a node after hearing of the problems to try to help diagnose it but I see no unusual behavior of any kind.

Thank you.

Based on the smaller fees I can understand why some Boolberry transaction might have been stuck yesterday (when transaction volume was also higher).

Nc5: 1 vote (letsplayagame)
Activity: 336
Activity: 150
Merit: 102
Qg7: 1 vote (mathgal23)
Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Boolberry has chosen to play Nd2. Now it is time for Team Monero to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

black to move

Team Boolberry (white pieces) vs. Team Monero (black pieces)
Game 2 PGN:
Code:
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.c4 Bg7 4.Nc3 O-O 5.e4 d6 6.Be2 e5 7.d5 a5 8.Bg5 h6 9.Be3 Na6 10.h3 Nh5 11.Qd2 Nf4 12.O-O-O Nxg2 13.Bxh6 Bxh6 14.Qxh6 Qf6 15.Kb1 Nf4 16.Nd2
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Sorry @boolberry, posted just a few minutes before our deadline as the move seem to be set.

I was just excited to see @letsplayagame sport an XMR address in his signature  Grin Grin

I don't mind at all! Yes it is nice to see more people support CryptoNote. I might even send him a tip:)

Tips are not not necessary, I just want to help support CryptoNote development. I did not include a BBR address in my signature because nobody asked me to until today. I do not have a BBR wallet, but will consider downloading one when I have more time.

Speaking of Boolberry, is it under a spam or DDOS attack today? I see lots of dust transactions and very irregular block times.

If there is a spam attack do the XMR and BBR networks respond in the same way? If not what are the differences?

The main difference is XMR has higher fees, and more value (which matters to the mining penalty) so spam is more expensive.

It isn't clear what happened with BBR earlier. Some nodes were reported to have crashed but that may have just been pools. I started a node after hearing of the problems to try to help diagnose it but I see no unusual behavior of any kind.

Activity: 742
Merit: 501
Too late to suggest my variation but I guess lets go with the flow for now

Ng5: 2 votes (boolberry, GoldTiger69)
Nd2: 4 votes (Morecoin, languagehasmeaning, LucyLovesCrypto,tifozi)
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
Ng5: 2 votes (boolberry, GoldTiger69)
Nd2: 3 votes (Morecoin, languagehasmeaning, LucyLovesCrypto)
Tbh with you guys, I think that the Queens exchange after 16.Ng5 Qh8, 17.QxQ KxQ 18.Bg4 looks very promising to white, don't you think?

So, I'm going to change my vote (If that is not allowed, just ignore me, I'm still learning the rules of this topic)

Ng5: 2 vote (boolberry, GoldTiger69)
Nd2: 1 vote (Morecoin)

Changing you vote is definitely allowed anytime before 0:00UTC. We are pretty relaxed here. I have yet to moderate anyone (the thread is only moderated in case trolls arrive and start voting for moves obviously intended to lose on purpose) and we have adopted several suggestions from the community (like the ArticMine tiebreak rule).

As tifozi proved today when he updated the position, the game is designed to run itself even if I disappear for a while.
Activity: 582
Merit: 502
Tbh with you guys, I think that the Queens exchange after 16.Ng5 Qh8, 17.QxQ KxQ 18.Bg4 looks very promising to white, don't you think?

So, I'm going to change my vote (If that is not allowed, just ignore me, I'm still learning the rules of this topic)

Ng5: 2 vote (boolberry, GoldTiger69)
Activity: 336

I was just excited to see @letsplayagame sport an XMR address in his signature  Grin Grin

I was happy to see that but would love it if he added a BBR address to his sig too!

You are right GoldTiger69 I want to prevent trading Queens as well. Now that I looked more into the variations I see that we can do that and be in a good position. The lines I looked at are for: Bf1, Nd2, Ne1 and Ng1.

Ng5: 1 vote (boolberry)
Bf1: 1 vote (GoldTiger69)

I do not like the endgame after 16.Ng5 Qh8 either

Nd2: 2 votes (Morecoin, languagehasmeaning)
Activity: 854
Merit: 503
Legendary trader
You are right GoldTiger69 I want to prevent trading Queens as well. Now that I looked more into the variations I see that we can do that and be in a good position. The lines I looked at are for: Bf1, Nd2, Ne1 and Ng1.

Activity: 582
Merit: 502
Ng5: 2 votes (boolberry, Morecoin)

I think that Ng5 is the way to exchange Queens (something that we are trying to avoid, right?). If 16.Ng5, then 16. ... Qh8, forcing the Queen's exchange.
Pages:
Jump to: