Pages:
Author

Topic: CryptoNote technical discussion and Chess Challenge - page 42. (Read 96101 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Activity: 378
Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Boolberry has chosen to play b6. Now it is time for Team Monero to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

Team Monero (white pieces) vs. Team Boolberry (black pieces)
white to move

Game PGN:
Code:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 a6 5.c4 Nc6 6.Qe3 g6 7.Nc3 Bg7 8.Be2 Nf6 9.O-O O-O 10.h3 Nd7 11.b3 Nc5 12.Bb2 f5 13.exf5 Bxf5 14.Rad1 Qa5 15.Rd2 Rf6 16.Nd5 Re6 17.Qf4 Ne4 18.Bxg7 Kxg7 19.Rb2 Nc3 20.Nd4 Re5 21.Bf3 Nxd5 22.Bxd5 Qc3 23.Nxf5+ Rxf5 24.Qd2 Qxd2 25.Rxd2 Rb8 26.a3 e5 27.Be6 Rf6 28.Bd5 Nd4 29.b4 b6
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
b5 leads to a quicker draw (exchange with no positional advantage or disadvantage, unless white gets experimental)

b5: 1 vote (tifozi)
b6: 2 votes (boolberry, languagehasmeaning)

b6: 3 votes (boolberry, languagehasmeaning, newb4now)
b5 leads to a quicker draw (exchange with no positional advantage or disadvantage, unless white gets experimental)

I agree that b5 would be an easier way to attempt forcing a draw. That is precisely the reason why I chose b6. I hope we can keep the game interesting and avoid unnecessary simplifications. Based on some of the comments above I believe some of the Monero players feel the same way. The game may end in a draw but it won't be for a lack of effort from either side!
Activity: 742
Merit: 501

I like b6 here. It both makes c5 more difficult for white and frees our rook from defending the pawn.
Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Monero has chosen to play b4. Now it is time for Team Boolberry to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

black to move

Game PGN:
Code:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 a6 5.c4 Nc6 6.Qe3 g6 7.Nc3 Bg7 8.Be2 Nf6 9.O-O O-O 10.h3 Nd7 11.b3 Nc5 12.Bb2 f5 13.exf5 Bxf5 14.Rad1 Qa5 15.Rd2 Rf6 16.Nd5 Re6 17.Qf4 Ne4 18.Bxg7 Kxg7 19.Rb2 Nc3 20.Nd4 Re5 21.Bf3 Nxd5 22.Bxd5 Qc3 23.Nxf5+ Rxf5 24.Qd2 Qxd2 25.Rxd2 Rb8 26.a3 e5 27.Be6 Rf6 28.Bd5 Nd4 29.b4
I think we can consider the draw offer as part of the move which means it wasn't a tie (yet):

29. b4 (ArticMine, XMRpromotions)
29. b4, offer draw (smooth)

I'm willing to change my vote to just b4 without the offer of a draw if needed.

I agree with smooth that the draw offer should be part of the move.

There is actually a FIDE rule that kind of supports this: "If a player makes a draw offer before making their move, the opponent can ask them to make their move before deciding."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_by_agreement

With this requirement we also avoid the situation where a team silent on an draw offer discussion can might have one team member vote for the leading move at 23:58UTC and add a draw offer.

I do think the game is likely to end in a draw but there are still some chances for both sides in my opinion. I vote to keep playing for now but will reconsider offering a draw if it becomes clear that neither side can make progress.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
I think we can consider the draw offer as part of the move which means it wasn't a tie (yet):

I am fine with this.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Monero Core Team
I am voting against the draw offer. I find it premature in this kind of position.

29. b4 (ArticMine, XMRpromotions, smooth)

Draw offer
For: smooth
Against: ArticMine

If tie the draw offer stands since the for preceeded the against.
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
Yah 1/2-1/2 is likely here.

In hindsight 14 Qa5 (Black) and 27. Be6 (white) were the big mistakes.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
b4 and offer draw
legendary
Monero Core Team
29. b4
Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Boolberry has chosen to play Nd4. Now it is time for Team Monero to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

white to move

Game PGN:
Code:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 a6 5.c4 Nc6 6.Qe3 g6 7.Nc3 Bg7 8.Be2 Nf6 9.O-O O-O 10.h3 Nd7 11.b3 Nc5 12.Bb2 f5 13.exf5 Bxf5 14.Rad1 Qa5 15.Rd2 Rf6 16.Nd5 Re6 17.Qf4 Ne4 18.Bxg7 Kxg7 19.Rb2 Nc3 20.Nd4 Re5 21.Bf3 Nxd5 22.Bxd5 Qc3 23.Nxf5+ Rxf5 24.Qd2 Qxd2 25.Rxd2 Rb8 26.a3 e5 27.Be6 Rf6 28.Bd5 Nd4
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I vote for Nd4 centralizing our knight

Nd4 (boolberry, languagehasmeaning)

Nd4 (boolberry, languagehasmeaning, newb4now)
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
Admitting one is wrong is needed more often than not in chess as in life.

With the analogy to life, does chess provide some insight into or benefit that connects with life?

Chess makes this point easier to understand, because mistakes are often clearly identifiable in retrospect and not learning from them will lead to the same pattern being repeated in future games. In life sometimes "mistakes" can be harder to quantify and therefore easier to deny.

I find it difficult to get excited about mastering chess. All that effort and for what gain?

What motivates chess players? As I see from this game example that with enough brain power, you essentially duel to a near draw (both black and white have the same number of pieces) probably with random outcome.
Motivation is different for every player. For some it is about the enjoyment of competition, others see chess as a type of art and express their creativity by harmoniously directing their pieces.

When playing multiple timed games at once scenario 2 is obviously far superior. Skilled announcers and perfect algebraic descriptions are key.

Your answer helped me understand. Thank you.

Okay so pattern recognition applies to life, e.g. as follows...

I think it has been generally the case throughout all cryptographic research I have reviewed that all anonymous mixnets have some DoS vulnerability if there isn't some identifiable non-free resource to attach to each participation.

Which I think was also obvious from that fact that CN one-time rings can be unmasked if an adversary can correlate IP addresses to persistent identities.

So chess is related to recognizing unfathomable possible patterns formed from a finite set of generative rules, whereas afaics life is choosing which patterns to focus on  generated from an unfathomable set of input entropy. In chess, the input entropy is the creativity of your opponent (within that finite set of generative rules and as you say more games introduces more entropy) whereas in life the relevant entropy is the scope of the Coasian temporal illusion (spacetime being one such illusion) you choose.

I believe I can eventually conceptually relate this into the theory of chaos:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13025343

Again looking for generalizing patterns.

I think the reason I am not exceptional at chess is my brain isn't optimized to compute (and especially store in memory many) long sequential patterns as rapidly as possible. Also storing a large quantity of intricate patterns. Whereas, my brain seems to be more optimized in performing reductionist logic (minimizing the number and/or entropy of patterns I need to store). I recognized this early in life where many people could memorize a long series of tones more reliably than I could. Yet my reading comprehension was higher than theirs typically. When I was 5 years old, my father was attempting to form the optimum design for the bed he was constructing for the rear of his VW bus and I was able to make some instant geometrical suggestions. There were photos of me in diapers and constructing things with shapes and even a plastic hammer. My mother says I was the only kid she knew that deconstructed all of toys instead of playing with them (and I retorted, "Mom that is playing with them").

In my subjects at school, I would always try to reduce the patterns I had to memorize by trying to form a generative theory. I applied this to math, history, etc.. So perhaps what I dislike about chess is the generative essence is the finite generative rules, but the entropy set is expansive instead of reductionist, i.e. I presume the chess masters have stored more entropy and have excellent finely grained long-term memory recall. For example, I can often remember that I know a precise vocabulary word for the context I am composing, but can't remember the word! I have to expend quite a bit of effort to recall from my long-term memory. Appears my brain might be doing the equivalent of Google's deprioritization of infrequently accessed memory stores (moving them to slower to recall storage).
I vote for Nd4 centralizing our knight

Nd4 (boolberry, languagehasmeaning)
Pages:
Jump to: