Author

Topic: Cryptopia Cryptocurrency Platform Services and Development - page 120. (Read 173234 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

See 12.1(c)

"Nothing in these Terms is intended to limit any rights or remedies a User may have under the Fair Trading Act 1986 or the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993."

And 18.4(a)

"You agree to use our service in accordance with the law in New Zealand and the applicable law in your jurisdiction. Where any of these Terms does not meet the minimum requirement of the law, those terms and conditions are deemed to be amended to the extent of compliance."

Seems like boilerplate lawyer-speak to me: these are our terms, but some of them 'may' be overridden by law, and it's solely up to you (or perhaps the courts) to determine what is or isn't valid.

Regardless, I doubt that a company could legally limit their liability to repay funds held on behalf of customers. Otherwise, they could just close up shop and keep the difference.
legendary
looks like according to the terms of service cryptopia's maximum rembursement to an user for cryptopia's faults is $ 5000 (i think NZD)

Link? Terms and conditions generally cannot override (local jurisdiction) law, so if it turns out that funds were lost through gross negligence or some other corporate no-no then I doubt these limits would apply. Such a limit sounds more like additional compensation (say, via legal action) rather than a hard limit on customers accessing their own funds?
Activity: 365
Merit: 14
looks like according to the terms of service cryptopia's maximum rembursement to an user for cryptopia's faults is $ 5000 (i think NZD)
legendary

Wasn't this the same newspaper that sensationally reported that Police "stormed" the offices of Cryptopia?

The stuff.co.nz article says,

"Elementus identified the currencies, their value, and the exchanges where they have been traded. Bitcoins were not involved, with the main cryptocurrencies being ethereum, oyster pearl, and dentacoin"

...however the Elementus article clearly says,

"We have not examined the Bitcoin blockchain or other blockchains"

Sloppy.
Activity: 714
Merit: 118
Police making progress in crypto-currency investigation
http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/police-making-progress-crypto-currency-investigation
I worry that the exchange for more than a week does not give any news/updates. I think that they have some kind of fund and they must return some of the stolen money. Hoping for the best. This is one of the oldest exchanges and I hope he will return.
Activity: 60
Merit: 1
Because probably everything is gone
Activity: 340
Merit: 250
And what about the other currencies
Why they do not allow members to access their accounts
Activity: 328
Merit: 27
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cryptopia/comments/aib9ic/on_the_hack/ - Read this.

"After Cryptopia discovered the hack, they watched the funds continue to flow out of their wallets for four more days, seemingly powerless to stop it. As these wallets were not smart contracts, there should have been no technical complications preventing Cryptopia from securing the funds. The only plausible explanation for Cryptopia's inaction is that they no longer had access to their own wallets."
Activity: 271
Merit: 100
Who knows what financial reserves the company has? Someone threw the news that it received a million profits a day.I would like to get at least half of my amount, but with such news it becomes quite sad.
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓
Is this the end?
Analysts have calculated the extent of unauthorized cryptocurrency transfers at Christchurch-based Cryptopia at more than $23 million

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/110099560/police-investigators-call-on-overseas-experts-meet-with-cryptopia-staff

Is it really harder to issue an statement. A simple - Hey! Stay put we are patching up and coming back live shortly

Just an FYI - that's 23 million New Zealand dollars, or, $16M US$

Analysis of what happened has been published by a blockchain software company based in New York called Elementus whose analyst, Max Galta, estimated the unauthorised transfers were valued about US$16m (NZ23m).

(Try to be a bit clearer when quoting please)

Further reading on those $16M worth of Tokens stolen can be found here: https://elementus.io/blog/cryptopia-hack-transparency/
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓
Okay I think I found the Cryptopia's BTC wallet. My deposit there is kinda old and I can't recall 100% if it's the address I deposited was Cryptopia's or another exchange's, but I traced the movement and since the wallet's movements stopped on 14th January I'm 99% sure it's Cryptopia's.

This is their wallet: 3ALZ4ALw2T4jebXXUy8GMv2rLB7JpFL1JD

After many hops between 1-use addresses, I find a big amount of funds consecrated here: 12YBZCaPe45LFbvgYWP5AVm3pvZTtHTiNY
This was a new address created on 13th January.
It seems that after gathering BTC from different Cryptopia's wallets, summing 392.31 BTC, they sent a "test" transaction of 3 BTC on 14th January and 10 minutes later they sent all the amount to the same address.

From that point on, it seems like the funds were split to multiple addresses, probably many of which are exchanges.

Your thoughts? Anything I missed maybe?

I can provide transactions towards my cryptopia deposit address if some1 is interested. now that address is empty.

if you're right, other 14M$ in BTC have been stolen? I had 99% of my funds in BTC.

I think bankruptcy is right out there.

The $14M in BitCoin above and this $13M from ETH (tokens) listed on this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cryptopia/comments/ag75rs/cryptopia_hack_analysis_min_13000000_stolen/ plus a few other cryptos ( LTC $1M https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.49253290 ) - ( not to mention any other Coin not listed yet) we're looking at $28M confirmed and probably ~ $30M all up.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 514
Is this the end?
Analysts have calculated the extent of unauthorized cryptocurrency transfers at Christchurch-based Cryptopia at more than $23 million

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/110099560/police-investigators-call-on-overseas-experts-meet-with-cryptopia-staff

Is it really harder to issue an statement. A simple - Hey! Stay put we are patching up and coming back live shortly
Activity: 365
Merit: 14
Okay I think I found the Cryptopia's BTC wallet. My deposit there is kinda old and I can't recall 100% if it's the address I deposited was Cryptopia's or another exchange's, but I traced the movement and since the wallet's movements stopped on 14th January I'm 99% sure it's Cryptopia's.

After many hops between 1-use addresses, I find a big amount of funds consecrated here: 12YBZCaPe45LFbvgYWP5AVm3pvZTtHTiNY
It seems that after gathering BTC from different Cryptopia's wallets, summing 392.31 BTC, they sent a "test" transaction of 3 BTC on 14th January and 10 minutes later they sent all the amount to the same address.

From that point on, it seems like the funds were split to multiple addresses, probably many of which are exchanges.

I can provide transactions towards my cryptopia deposit address if some1 is interested. now that address is empty.

if you're right, other 14M$ in BTC have been stolen? I had 99% of my funds in BTC.

I think bankruptcy is right out there.
Activity: 728
Merit: 169
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Activity: 288
Merit: 253
I don't understand why hasn't the community found out if Cryptopia's BTC wallets have been emptied as well or not.

I hadn't deposited or withdrew any BTC recently and I don't think I can find my last transaction with Cryptopia and track it, but I'll try it.
Wouldn't someone else have it traced and found their BTC addresses though?

It's one of hot BTC Cryptopia wallets(possible old)
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/btc/wallet.dws?55139810.htm
Activity: 728
Merit: 169
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
I don't understand why hasn't the community found out if Cryptopia's BTC wallets have been emptied as well or not.

I hadn't deposited or withdrew any BTC recently and I don't think I can find my last transaction with Cryptopia and track it, but I'll try it.
Wouldn't someone else have it traced and found their BTC addresses though?
legendary
Activity: 1612
Merit: 1608
精神分析的爸
Tell me please, is there anything heard about tether? I have had 3,000 of them there Cry

TFTFY

P.S.: Not making fun of your loss just pointing out the facts. I myself have had ~0.35 BTC in alts, BTC and LTC in topia when they went dark.
Activity: 271
Merit: 100
Tell me please, is there anything heard about tether? I have 3,000 of them there Cry
Activity: 1246
Merit: 257

Before Christmas Cryptpoia sent out a blanket email stating that they had been hacked by 100+ alt coins (via a 51 % attack) and were closing those markets.

xtraely and lafu and anyone else claiming to be representatives of Cryptopia definitely aren't because they would have been instructed not to make any statements while a criminal investigation is on going.

Neither Lafu nor myself are employees of Cryptopia. Nor are we authorized to make any statements on their behalf.  There is no official representation of Cryptopia on Bitcointalk as they only consider discord and twitter as official media channels.

As a client of the exchange I probably have more $ at risk than most.

You are correct that their staff have instructed not to make any statements. Most are on leave as the offices are considered a crime scene.

The other incidents last year that you mentioned are different.

A 51% attack by definition is a blockchain based attack. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/51-attack.asp It means the blockchain has been exploited and fraudulent transactions by a single attacker have caused the genuinely mined transactions to be discarded through chain re-organisation and orphaned. Some reputable devs have re-embused their customers that have been affected by a blockchain 51% attack.

I explained how such an attack works here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.46025953

In May Bittrex was the victim of a 51% double spend attack on the Bitcoin Gold network. The Bitcoin Gold developers only offered to partially compensate Bittrex for the losses and Bittrex chose to delist Bitcoin Gold instead.

A coin network that allows a 51% attack double spend happen is neither decentralized nor immutable. Both of which are essential for a trustless network.

Many coins have changed from POW to Hybrid, POS or a more complex algo or discontinued because they are unable to prevent attacks on the coin network.

In regards to 51% attack please read https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48633011
One day or initial wave of hacking is on devs.
10 days of hacking is on exchange.

Do you agree?

Actually it was on the customers.
Lost coins & Lost listing.

[which in hindsight is not a bad deal]
Jump to: