Pages:
Author

Topic: DiabloMiner GPU Miner - page 85. (Read 866206 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
DiabloMiner author
December 05, 2010, 02:48:43 AM
The open source driver bits are mostly there.  The driver folks know how OpenCL will work, what ioctl(s) it will use....  once an open source OpenCL exists.

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium

URL to non-functional OpenCL prototype?

Hrm, good question. I saw it mentioned in one of my news feeds, but I can't find it now.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
December 05, 2010, 01:47:00 AM
The open source driver bits are mostly there.  The driver folks know how OpenCL will work, what ioctl(s) it will use....  once an open source OpenCL exists.

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium

URL to non-functional OpenCL prototype?

legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 05, 2010, 12:25:04 AM
Hey man, an open cross platform royalty free API is very important. Imagine gaming if all we had was D3D.... PC gaming would be dead. OpenGL is the only thing keeping it alive IMO.

Agreed.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was against industry members getting together to produce and promote open, cross-platform, royality-free APIs.  That is very important, and is indeed something that I encourage.  I was simply remarking that I was fooled into thinking that it included an open-source implementation...since "Open" has been thrown around as a Orwellian marketing term by some organizations, even though it isn't really open.

As for owner binaries, I don't keep those around; you can use git to pull older revisions in, but I don't recommend it because they may end up being subtly broken because I've fixed bugs since then.

OK.  I'll try that.

Until I fix Nvidia (if there is any fix at all), just buy a new video card. Geforces mine very slowly, about 3x slower per watt, and maybe 4x slower per dollar depending on the card. Go buy a Radeon 5xxx, you'll be happier.

Nvidia actually gave me this GeForce 9800 Gx2 as a consolation prize for a GPGPU research proposal I submitted to Nvidia, but was rejected.  So I have this big fancy GPGPU which I haven't really been using.  Oh well.

The Open in OpenGL doesn't imply any sort of implementation of all. There already has been an open OpenGL impl for years, its called Mesa. Khronos (formerly known as the OpenGL Steering Committee) doesn't maintain an implementation of anything.

As for Nvidia giving you that card.... they lied again. No Nvidia card is good at GPGPU for any task outside of heavily float-oriented tasks similar to the graphics rendering the card normally would be doing.

Trust me, its really worth shelling out the cash for a Radeon 5xxx.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
December 05, 2010, 12:16:32 AM
DAMNIT!!!  I was fooled again by the marketing term "Open".  Turns out that according to http://www.khronos.org/opencl, the Open just means "OpenCL™ is the first open, royalty-free standard for cross-platform"...nothing to do with implementation.  Oh well...  I have this nice Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2...not doing anything...could be generating bitcoin Sad

Do you have a link to the older binaries?

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium. I suspect in the nest 2-3 years you can run my miner on Radeon 5xxx hardware with a fully open source stack.

However, as long as Nvidia continues to unofficially threaten to sue projects like Nouveau for trying to support Nvidia on the new Gallium stack, Nvidia is probably going to go bankrupt before they turn around and quit pissing off customers.

DAMNIT!!!  I swear!  I will never again work at a pro-IP tech corporation in any manner!

Hey man, an open cross platform royalty free API is very important. Imagine gaming if all we had was D3D.... PC gaming would be dead. OpenGL is the only thing keeping it alive IMO.

Agreed.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was against industry members getting together to produce and promote open, cross-platform, royality-free APIs.  That is very important, and is indeed something that I encourage.  I was simply remarking that I was fooled into thinking that it included an open-source implementation...since "Open" has been thrown around as a Orwellian marketing term by some organizations, even though it isn't really open.

As for owner binaries, I don't keep those around; you can use git to pull older revisions in, but I don't recommend it because they may end up being subtly broken because I've fixed bugs since then.

OK.  I'll try that.

Until I fix Nvidia (if there is any fix at all), just buy a new video card. Geforces mine very slowly, about 3x slower per watt, and maybe 4x slower per dollar depending on the card. Go buy a Radeon 5xxx, you'll be happier.

Nvidia actually gave me this GeForce 9800 Gx2 as a consolation prize for a GPGPU research proposal I submitted to Nvidia, but was rejected.  So I have this big fancy GPGPU which I haven't really been using.  Oh well.
legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 05, 2010, 12:06:30 AM
DAMNIT!!!  I was fooled again by the marketing term "Open".  Turns out that according to http://www.khronos.org/opencl, the Open just means "OpenCL™ is the first open, royalty-free standard for cross-platform"...nothing to do with implementation.  Oh well...  I have this nice Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2...not doing anything...could be generating bitcoin Sad

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium. I suspect in the nest 2-3 years you can run my miner on Radeon 5xxx hardware with a fully open source stack.

However, as long as Nvidia continues to unofficially threaten to sue projects like Nouveau for trying to support Nvidia on the new Gallium stack, Nvidia is probably going to go bankrupt before they turn around and quit pissing off customers.

DAMNIT!!!  I swear!  I will never again work at a pro-IP tech corporation in any manner!

December 05, 2010, 12:01:31 AM
Do you know of open source drivers that I can use instead?

Open source drivers won't get you an open source OpenCL compiler and implementation, unfortunately.

legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 04, 2010, 11:51:21 PM
Damnit!!!  Proprietary crap!!!  I swear, I will never work at a pro-IP corporation ever or buy another closed-source piece of hardware ever!  My new goal in life: develop and release an open source GPGPU.  Or maybe for the time being write an open source bitcoiner FPGA miner and post it to opencores.org...

Its not the proprietary crap issue. Catalyst on Linux works fine, but obviously you need AMD hardware to use AMD drivers.

FPGAs aren't worth dealing with. Due to the cost of mass producing a generic massively parallel high throughput product like Radeon 5xxx series GPUs, you need about $3k worth of FPGA hardware to keep up with a $500 5970. AMD, however, is paying several million dollars to develop an entire open source solution through the existing X/Mesa/DRI community (along with Intel).

Open source drivers won't get you an open source OpenCL compiler and implementation, unfortunately.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
December 04, 2010, 11:25:06 PM

December 04, 2010, 11:12:51 PM
./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u xxxxxxxx -p xxxxxxxx
Added GeForce 9800 GX2 (16 CU, 1x vector, local work size of clang: Too many positional arguments specified!
Can specify at most 1 positional arguments: See: clang --help

Same on Win7 & Nvidia. Previous binaries working like a charm.

Btw thanks for getwork update! It's cool we do not need patch anymore!

You two are both suffering from the fact Nvidia has broken drivers. They do not comply with the OpenCL specification. Until either they fix it, or I figure out a workaround that doesn't involve me getting rid of defines in the kernel altogether, this can't be fixed.

Go bitch at Nvidia, maybe they'll listen if more people do it.

Damnit!!!  Proprietary crap!!!  I swear, I will never work at a pro-IP corporation ever or buy another closed-source piece of hardware ever!  My new goal in life: develop and release an open source GPGPU.  Or maybe for the time being write an open source bitcoiner FPGA miner and post it to opencores.org...

legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 04, 2010, 11:01:40 PM
I get this error running the latest compiled version with the supplied windows execution parameters:

As per the post immediately before yours, update to the normal 0.3.17 binary, not a m0 patched one

I am having this error when running DiabloMiner-Linux.sh on Ubuntu 10.04 with GeForce 9800 GX2:

Added GeForce 9800 GX2 (16 CU, 1x vector, local work size of clang: Too many positional arguments specified!

./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u fontaine -p dsfah

You two are both suffering from the fact Nvidia has broken drivers. They do not comply with the OpenCL specification. Until either they fix it, or I figure out a workaround that doesn't involve me getting rid of defines in the kernel altogether, this can't be fixed.

Go bitch at Nvidia, maybe they'll listen if more people do it.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
December 04, 2010, 09:44:27 PM
./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u **** -p ****

December 04, 2010, 06:02:08 PM
I am having this error when running DiabloMiner-Linux.sh on Ubuntu 10.04 with GeForce 9800 GX2:

This is what clang --help produces:

clang --helpOVERVIEW: clang "gcc-compatible" driver

USAGE: clang [options]

OPTIONS:
  -###                    Print the commands to run for this compilation
  --analyze               Run the static analyzer
  --help                  Display available options
  --relocatable-pch       Build a relocatable precompiled header
  -E                      Only run the preprocessor
  -ObjC++                 Treat source input files as Objective-C++ inputs
  -ObjC                   Treat source input files as Objective-C inputs
  -Qunused-arguments      Don't emit warning for unused driver arguments
  -S                      Only run preprocess and compilation steps
  -Wa,               Pass the comma separated arguments in to the assembler
  -Wl,               Pass the comma separated arguments in to the linker
  -Wp,               Pass the comma separated arguments in to the preprocessor
  -Xanalyzer        Pass to the static analyzer
  -Xassembler       Pass to the assembler
  -Xclang           Pass to the clang compiler
  -Xlinker          Pass to the linker
  -Xpreprocessor    Pass to the preprocessor
  -c                      Only run preprocess, compile, and assemble steps
  -emit-ast               Emit Clang AST files for source inputs
  -emit-llvm              Use the LLVM representation for assembler and object files
  -fcatch-undefined-behavior
                          Generate runtime checks for undefined behavior.
  -o               Write output to
  -pipe                   Use pipes between commands, when possible
  -print-file-name= Print the full library path of
  -print-libgcc-file-name Print the library path for "libgcc.a"
  -print-prog-name= Print the full program path of
  -print-search-dirs      Print the paths used for finding libraries and programs
  -rewrite-objc           Rewrite Objective-C source to C++
  -save-temps             Save intermediate compilation results
  -time                   Time individual commands
  -v                      Show commands to run and use verbose output
  -x           Treat subsequent input files as having type

Please explain what I need to do to run your miner.  Thanks.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
December 04, 2010, 03:53:19 PM
I get this error running the latest compiled version with the supplied windows execution parameters:

http://j.mp/g8jEjO
legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 04, 2010, 03:26:15 PM
Update: Miner now works with Satoshi's getwork impl, so you don't need to patch anymore.
legendary
DiabloMiner author
December 01, 2010, 06:58:59 PM
OSX seems to suffer from the same bug Nvidia does. Neither of them support the specification required ability to do -Dfoo=bar.

Do you see a fix for this in the future?

Ask Apple. They do not comply with the specification, and they probably don't care.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
November 29, 2010, 03:03:35 PM
OSX seems to suffer from the same bug Nvidia does. Neither of them support the specification required ability to do -Dfoo=bar.

Do you see a fix for this in the future?
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
November 29, 2010, 09:09:39 AM
My client supports both host and port, see -o and -p. If you need anything else, it may be more useful to request something from satoshi as to support in the official client (which then I can support).

Oh, I missed -p parameter. I expected -o to be full http address of json rpc. It is good enough now, I can point my json rpc service to root path on some port.
legendary
DiabloMiner author
November 29, 2010, 05:44:33 AM
Weird, I get:

Code:
Added Radeon HD 4670 (8 CU, 2x vector, local work size of 
ERROR: [CL_INVALID_BUILD_OPTIONS] : OpenCL Error : clBuildProgram failed: Invalid build options "-D VECTORS=2 -D NS="(u)((nonce * 2) + 0, (nonce * 2) + 1)" -D CHECKOUTPUT="if(H.s0 == 0) {output[0] = ns.s0;}if(H.s1 == 0) {output[1] = ns.s1;}" -D WORKGROUPSIZE="""

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Failed to build program on Radeon HD 4670
at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner$DeviceState.(DiabloMiner.java:368)
at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:195)
at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.main(DiabloMiner.java:88)

when trying to run DiabloMiner-OSX.sh with my username and pass.

legendary
DiabloMiner author
November 29, 2010, 05:43:27 AM
Hi Diablo, I just tested your miner against current (0.3.17) client version (unpatched) and this does not work. There is getwork feature already included in official client. Do you plan to update your API to accept default client implementation? It would be cool.

One more question. Is possible to add parameter to specify port or even whole URL to client? Now you only accept 'host' parameter, so both port or path inside uri are hardcoded inside. I'm working on cooperative mining and I would like to test it against your miner, too. Full URL in command line would help me a lot.

Thanks, Marek

Its on the todo list to make it work with satoshi's getwork impl.

My client supports both host and port, see -o and -p. If you need anything else, it may be more useful to request something from satoshi as to support in the official client (which then I can support).
legendary
DiabloMiner author
November 29, 2010, 05:38:20 AM
Hi, I am trying the latest DiabloMiner build.
But when i run
Code:
./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u user -p pass
i am still getting same error:
Code:
Added GeForce 8800 GTS (12 CU, 1x vector, local work size of clang: Too many positional arguments specified!

I am runnig Debian Testing and my GPU is GeForce 8800 GTS.

Can someone help me?

Nvidia drivers currently have a bug that Nvidia has not fixed yet. There was already an issue open about this on the tracker.
Pages:
Jump to: