Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 1295. (Read 3058812 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Introducing DigiByte v3.0.1 MultiAlgo
Mandatory Update before block 145,000

Awesome. What is starting difficulty at these algos?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051
Official DigiByte Account
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Why people are selling their DGB ? It does not make sense at all. Hold on your coins people !!

It's mine and dump style. They are safe and in a small +.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Community Liaison,How can i help you?
How to mine solo?
How to choose the algo in the conf file?

I have added to the conf file

Code:
algo=groestl

but sgminer doesn't connect with host 127.0.0.1:14022

EDIT:
Well, I've got the newest v3.0.1.0-235f9e5-dirty-MultiAlgo
but I see even wallet mining doesn't work...
Maybe things are being fixed yet.

Multi algo is not running yet!

Jared & his team are working hard on the update, some things had to be fixed and tested before the official release.
multi algo will work @ block 145000  (corrert me if im wrong).

Have a nice day and we love to see you back when everything works!

Activity: 442
Merit: 250
How to mine solo?
How to choose the algo in the conf file?

I have added to the conf file

Code:
algo=groestl

but sgminer doesn't connect with host 127.0.0.1:14022

EDIT:
Well, I've got the newest v3.0.1.0-235f9e5-dirty-MultiAlgo
but I see even wallet mining doesn't work...
Maybe things are being fixed yet.
Activity: 335
Any good places to mine right now?
Most of the servers to mine are down due to wallet 3.0 issues, Devs are working on it.
legendary
Activity: 1164
Merit: 1000
Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer
Any good places to mine right now?
Marada,
 I am speculating, but I think there is another fix coming out soon to solve any pending issues! Jared, correct me if I am wrong!

YC

I know there is a fix coming.
Asking out of curiosity...
Is someone using an exploit to slow down the blockchain?
Activity: 924
Marada,
 I am speculating, but I think there is another fix coming out soon to solve any pending issues! Jared, correct me if I am wrong!

YC

Why does DGB blockchain slow down so badly?
Again last block generated 2 hours ago...

What is the reason?
Why does DGB blockchain slow down so badly?
Again last block generated 2 hours ago...

What is the reason?
Thank you so much! I will read this post a few times to make sure the maximum level of protection is there. Good details. I typically do not keep any DGB on an exchange ever. Heard too many horror stories with that!

Another question:

When creating multiple addresses, can you take coins from one address and send it to another within your global wallet?

Thanks,
YC

TheFrog,
 This needs to be stickied! A few silly questions:

1.USB backup I get. What is a SD card? Since they are physical storage devices, what do you mean store them in different locations?
SD card - the one you use in your phone/camera - MicroSD, SD. The point was more like to have at least 2 copies on 2 different digital medias. You could even burn the wallet.dat on a DVD every time you make a backup. Or 2 DVDs, different brands.

You can also create so called 'Paper wallets', using a generator that will create new, not ever seen, public / private address pay.
Please do NOT use any paper wallet generator you find online for DGB, as I tried  and ended up with private keys that could not be imported !
Someone should look into creating a new, working paper wallet generator for DGB, that works.
I tried this one https://github.com/patricklodder/dgbaddress.org

Different locations - physical locations. Like have one copy at home, in your vault, the other copy at your work place, third copy at your parents in law house and so on. Postage is cheap, so send one copy to your best buddy across the country.
So if you loose one copy, you still got the other ones.

2.At what point do you create new addresses?
After installation, a default address is created for you. So this is the first address you get in your wallet.
You can create as may addresses as you want, for example one for payouts from exchanges, the other one for payouts from your friends and so on.

How does that affect encryption?
Encryption is set on the whole wallet, so once you set Encrypt Wallet and set the pass phrase, all the coins in the wallet are encrypted.
Meaning - if you want to spend some coins, you will have to unlock the wallet with your pass phrase.

In other words, if you create a new address, does your old passphrase work and will you still be able to send and receive coins normally?
Wallet does not have to be unlocked to receive funds.
It's just the sending you have to authorize using your passphrase.

What about if you did a wallet import on a new DGB wallet upgrade?
This can be done either by importing the wallet.dat file (in case, it is encrypted, you will be asked for the passphrase for that wallet, which you are trying to import), or it can be done by importing the privkey for each address in your old wallet.

Go to console of your wallet and type 'help', will give you all the commands that can be used.

3.How do you dump the private key? Where do you do that function?
Console -
digibyted listaccounts    
digibyted getaddressesbyaccount
digibyted dumpprivkey

do this for every account and accounts' address.

4.Do you have a VM for each address? How do you secure those?
No, VM is a virtual machine, which you create for example by using free virtualbox software.
You set you an isolated virtual machine, with OS you like (windows, linux..), install the wallet software and you solely that virtual machine to use your wallet. Not doing anything in the virtual machine, just use the wallet, as you normally would.
Benefit is that you isolate physically your day to day computer from your 'special' computer that has the wallet software installed.

Thanks in advance! Awesome contributions!

YC

First rule, set a really really good pass phrase.
Make a digital backup, USB and SD card, store them in different locations. DO THIS WHENEVER YOU ADD NEW ADDRESS TO YOUR WALLET.
Second rule, 'dumpprivkey' - dump your private key to any address you have. Print 4 copies of it, put it in a sealed envelope and have friends family bank vault keep each.
DO THIS WHENEVER YOU ADD NEW ADDRESS TO YOUR WALLET.

If you have couple of hours to sped, for gods' sake set up a VM on your machine and install separate machine ONLY FOR YOUR WALLET, and use only this virtual machine whenever you need to send coins. Don't use it for chat, internet, facebook, -- fill whatever 'mainstream' software you use on your day to day computer.

You don't have to keep your wallet online to receive coins. It's just when you want to spend them, the wallet has to be synchronized with the network.

TheFrog,
 Couldn't agree more. We all need to do a bit more investigating on how to secure coins more important even on a wallet? Does anyone know anything about this? I know there was a conversation about paper wallets, cold storage, etc.

YC

More and more stories like this. Important we take it nice and easy on providing the most secure for DGB in its current and future state:

http://www.coindesk.com/bter-nxt-bitcoin-exchange-hack/

YC

I agree.  And for the record...  DEFINITELY not in favour of a rollback!!  Seriously? I didn't know this was possible. Oops...  something has happened with our coin that we don't like ....  lets just roll the blockchain back a few hours to fix it. Er...  NO! That makes me seriously nervous! Theft sucks...  but lets make it secure then... not just say oh well, roll back time!

This can happen to any coin. If people are dumb and keep al the coins in exchanges.
It's like asking for something like this to happen.
Don't be lazy, download the wallet, set reasonable passphase on it, and be safe.
Activity: 285
Security is a very important thing with all valuables...
Companies should not be trusted with anyones coins! Paper wallets are probably the safest bet, with local wallets being the next best.

It's not really something that is special to DGB though, the danger is with every valuable.
Activity: 393
TheFrog,

1.USB backup I get. What is a SD card? Since they are physical storage devices, what do you mean store them in different locations?
SD card - the one you use in your phone/camera - MicroSD, SD. The point was more like to have at least 2 copies on 2 different digital medias. You could even burn the wallet.dat on a DVD every time you make a backup. Or 2 DVDs, different brands.

You can also create so called 'Paper wallets', using a generator that will create new, not ever seen, public / private address pay.
Please do NOT use any paper wallet generator you find online for DGB, as I tried  and ended up with private keys that could not be imported !
Someone should look into creating a new, working paper wallet generator for DGB, that works.
I tried this one https://github.com/patricklodder/dgbaddress.org

Different locations - physical locations. Like have one copy at home, in your vault, the other copy at your work place, third copy at your parents in law house and so on. Postage is cheap, so send one copy to your best buddy across the country.
So if you loose one copy, you still got the other ones.

2.At what point do you create new addresses?
After installation, a default address is created for you. So this is the first address you get in your wallet.
You can create as may addresses as you want, for example one for payouts from exchanges, the other one for payouts from your friends and so on.

How does that affect encryption?
Encryption is set on the whole wallet, so once you set Encrypt Wallet and set the pass phrase, all the coins in the wallet are encrypted.
Meaning - if you want to spend some coins, you will have to unlock the wallet with your pass phrase.

In other words, if you create a new address, does your old passphrase work and will you still be able to send and receive coins normally?
Wallet does not have to be unlocked to receive funds.
It's just the sending you have to authorize using your passphrase.

What about if you did a wallet import on a new DGB wallet upgrade?
This can be done either by importing the wallet.dat file (in case, it is encrypted, you will be asked for the passphrase for that wallet, which you are trying to import), or it can be done by importing the privkey for each address in your old wallet.

Go to console of your wallet and type 'help', will give you all the commands that can be used.

Console -
digibyted listaccounts    
digibyted getaddressesbyaccount
digibyted dumpprivkey

do this for every account and accounts' address.

No, VM is a virtual machine, which you create for example by using free virtualbox software.
You set you an isolated virtual machine, with OS you like (windows, linux..), install the wallet software and you solely that virtual machine to use your wallet. Not doing anything in the virtual machine, just use the wallet, as you normally would.
Benefit is that you isolate physically your day to day computer from your 'special' computer that has the wallet software installed.

YC

Make a digital backup, USB and SD card, store them in different locations. DO THIS WHENEVER YOU ADD NEW ADDRESS TO YOUR WALLET.
Second rule, 'dumpprivkey' - dump your private key to any address you have. Print 4 copies of it, put it in a sealed envelope and have friends family bank vault keep each.

If you have couple of hours to sped, for gods' sake set up a VM on your machine and install separate machine ONLY FOR YOUR WALLET, and use only this virtual machine whenever you need to send coins. Don't use it for chat, internet, facebook, -- fill whatever 'mainstream' software you use on your day to day computer.

You don't have to keep your wallet online to receive coins. It's just when you want to spend them, the wallet has to be synchronized with the network.

TheFrog,
 Couldn't agree more. We all need to do a bit more investigating on how to secure coins more important even on a wallet? Does anyone know anything about this? I know there was a conversation about paper wallets, cold storage, etc.

YC

More and more stories like this. Important we take it nice and easy on providing the most secure for DGB in its current and future state:

YC

I agree.  And for the record...  DEFINITELY not in favour of a rollback!!  Seriously? I didn't know this was possible. Oops...  something has happened with our coin that we don't like ....  lets just roll the blockchain back a few hours to fix it. Er...  NO! That makes me seriously nervous! Theft sucks...  but lets make it secure then... not just say oh well, roll back time!

This can happen to any coin. If people are dumb and keep al the coins in exchanges.
Don't be lazy, download the wallet, set reasonable passphase on it, and be safe.
TheFrog,

2.At what point do you create new addresses? How does that affect encryption? In other words, if you create a new address, does your old passphrase work and will you still be able to send and receive coins normally? What about if you did a wallet import on a new DGB wallet upgrade?

YC

TheFrog,

YC

YC

I agree.  And for the record...  DEFINITELY not in favour of a rollback!!  Seriously? I didn't know this was possible. Oops...  something has happened with our coin that we don't like ....  lets just roll the blockchain back a few hours to fix it. Er...  NO! That makes me seriously nervous! Theft sucks...  but lets make it secure then... not just say oh well, roll back time!

TheFrog,

YC

YC

I agree.  And for the record...  DEFINITELY not in favour of a rollback!!  Seriously? I didn't know this was possible. Oops...  something has happened with our coin that we don't like ....  lets just roll the blockchain back a few hours to fix it. Er...  NO! That makes me seriously nervous! Theft sucks...  but lets make it secure then... not just say oh well, roll back time!

Price has hit 50 satoshi! Look at that. Volume is not too bad either!

YC
TheFrog,

YC

YC

It's actually a major risk and a huge lack of control for the folks that purchase coins. How do you know the developer is not going to go AWOL? This is why knowing who is running a coin and full transparency is important. Even if the coin is awesome, but the developer is unknown and all their websites have private WHOIS information based out of Panama, do you feel comfortable?

YC

YC

YC

Jump to: