Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official) - page 50. (Read 104454 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 05, 2012, 01:41:22 AM
Can i ask something for the community?

20 questions is over. Read OP.

Can you save me 20 minutes of searching? Did you answer this question?

Jesus, just read the fucking thread.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 05, 2012, 01:38:10 AM

A billion times.
Activity: 202
Merit: 100
September 05, 2012, 01:34:47 AM

September 05, 2012, 01:33:21 AM

September 05, 2012, 01:30:21 AM

I'll back off, i didn't remember a specific day that you said you would pay.

Can i ask something for the community? Do you think you've lost the bet? If not, can you give a vague description of why you made the bet and also your theories on Pirate's business model.

Much appreciated. I really don't mean to smear you before the cards down. I apologize.
September 05, 2012, 01:28:52 AM

How much is bitcoin magazine's rep worth?  You know with him being co-owner and all.  Not good for a fledgling magazine to have a scammer on board.  Nor is it good for the forum here to have staff that scams as well.  This bet affects more than just his reputation.

His magazine's forum rep isn't worth $100,000 either. I somehow doubt they have made $100k worth of sales from it yet, plus I doubt anyone who buys it online or at Barns & Unable will give a crap if one of the owners has a scammer tag on a forum full of trolls. If he does pay out, I'll be surprised. I'm not sure if that will make my opinion of him improve or not.

In the long run I think his magazine's rep is worth way more than 100k.  I DO care what an owner/maker of a product does, it affects me when I purchase something.  I won't buy something if I know an owner/maker has a lifestyle I don't want to support. I.E. Micheal Jackson albums, etc.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I was/am ready to pay out 500 BTC.  I don't see why he won't/wouldn't.  He has much more than me to lose in this bet.

Your opinion of him?  A scammer vs. someone who keeps their word?  You have a conflict with which is better?  Really?  Hm....
September 05, 2012, 01:20:08 AM
Matthew is a lot of things but I do think he's honest.
No idea why he made this bet though.

18 pages of chatter about something none of the posters are involved in. You don't understand why I made this bet?  Wink

EDIT: Okay now someone involved posts  Lips sealed

Well now Matt, when will you pay? What are the conditions? I think its pretty clear that pirate has defaulted. When will you pay?

On the 9th.  He has until then.  Chill.
September 05, 2012, 01:18:43 AM

18 pages of chatter about something none of the posters are involved in. You don't understand why I made this bet?  Wink

Well now Matt, when will you pay? What are the conditions? I think its pretty clear that pirate has defaulted. When will you pay?
Activity: 420
September 05, 2012, 01:17:33 AM
He's always been a bit unstable. That said, I'm still holding him to his bet. Would the horse track refund his money if he pleaded temporary insanity? Doubtful. Shouldn't make bets if you can't handle the outcome.
September 05, 2012, 01:17:17 AM

Like i said, I think he got caught up in the Pirate mystique. This is by far the largest transaction(especially in fiat terms) that he's made. This is the boiling point. If a man steps up to a 10k BTC bet, he's a good man. Otherwise, he's either out of money or made a bad call.

Never make a bet you can't pay up. He gave a lot of people some breathing space on their huge losses. He never took their money(which is nice) but he's still on the hook for a lot of BTC. I don't think he'll pay up, such is bitcoin. It's libertarian, caveat emptor.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
September 05, 2012, 01:14:37 AM
He'll pay out if he loses.  I have the utmost confidence of that.
September 05, 2012, 01:14:05 AM

September 05, 2012, 01:12:13 AM
I shot down your idea which was stupid(if you had taken a few minutes to research). I'm sorry i was uncouth about it, i will admit as much. It was a silly argument that needed to be ended.

I hope you are either joking about the last part or that you are not a native speaker of english. "Big boys" means that you are an adult, and can stand some petty insults. It has nothing to do with height.

It was "big boys" followed by "forgive my shortness" which led me to take the piss and for which I apologise. I just can't help it sometimes.

Can we be friends? I sorry I was mean. I just don't like it when people clog up threads with silly thoughts (although i can understand thinking such if you weren't familiar with the extent of pirate's ponzi. It was fucking huge).

I don't spend so much time taking the piss with people I don't like. It's a bonding thing Wink

Yay....you're a brit, right? I've spent around 5 months in the UK. Loved it. Except the lack of good bud. Why couldn't i get anything better than fake/shitty hash?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
September 05, 2012, 01:09:42 AM
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
September 05, 2012, 01:04:07 AM
I shot down your idea which was stupid(if you had taken a few minutes to research). I'm sorry i was uncouth about it, i will admit as much. It was a silly argument that needed to be ended.

I hope you are either joking about the last part or that you are not a native speaker of english. "Big boys" means that you are an adult, and can stand some petty insults. It has nothing to do with height.

It was "big boys" followed by "forgive my shortness" which led me to take the piss and for which I apologise. I just can't help it sometimes.

Can we be friends? I sorry I was mean. I just don't like it when people clog up threads with silly thoughts (although i can understand thinking such if you weren't familiar with the extent of pirate's ponzi. It was fucking huge).

I don't spend so much time taking the piss with people I don't like. It's a bonding thing Wink
September 05, 2012, 12:55:32 AM

Once again, I did not have a position against which you could argue - simply an idea to support or shoot down as the evidence (to which I was not privy) suggested. I have no problem with the idea being ridiculous; I do have a problem with your suggestion that it was the start of a reasoned debate on my part against which you were arguing.

I also find your need to discriminate on the basis of height somewhat disturbing.

Can we be friends? I sorry I was mean. I just don't like it when people clog up threads with silly thoughts(although i can understand thinking such if you weren't familiar with the extent of pirate's ponzi. It was fucking huge).
donator
Poor impulse control.
September 05, 2012, 12:47:10 AM
I wonder if, at this point, it would be cheaper for Matthew to pay all of Pirate's debt himself than pay out the bet.

Are you retarded? Pirate's liabilities are around 500k bitcoins if you believe him. Remember, its easier to imagine making 7% on 10000 bitcoins than 100000.

I read either znort or D&T put the amount owing at 100000 BTC, and I have no idea of the total amount paid back yet.

Fewer insults, if you please.

My apologies for insults, they aren't necessary, nor do they advance my position. Regardless, you have proven your assertion to be wrong.

I made no such assertion. I simply brought forth an idea upon which those with more knowledge than me could cogitate, and then supply a reasoned answer. You could have written "Sir, I find your idea nonsense, since I know that pirateat40 has not yet paid sufficient accounts for 10000 btc to be all that is owing."

It is my sincerest hope that you never become a teacher of any kind.

I would never phrase a lesson in the way i argued against you, nor would i correct a student in the same way. I thought we were big boys on this forum, please forgive my shortness.

Nevertheless, the idea that 10K bitcoins is larger than the liabilities of pirate is ridiculous, i'm sure you would now agree. Please let me know if you don't.

Once again, I did not have a position against which you could argue - simply an idea to support or shoot down as the evidence (to which I was not privy) suggested. I have no problem with the idea being ridiculous; I do have a problem with your suggestion that it was the start of a reasoned debate on my part against which you were arguing.

I also find your need to discriminate on the basis of height somewhat disturbing.

September 05, 2012, 12:41:19 AM
I wonder if, at this point, it would be cheaper for Matthew to pay all of Pirate's debt himself than pay out the bet.

Are you retarded? Pirate's liabilities are around 500k bitcoins if you believe him. Remember, its easier to imagine making 7% on 10000 bitcoins than 100000.

I read either znort or D&T put the amount owing at 100000 BTC, and I have no idea of the total amount paid back yet.

My apologies for insults, they aren't necessary, nor do they advance my position. Regardless, you have proven your assertion to be wrong.

I made no such assertion. I simply brought forth an idea upon which those with more knowledge than me could cogitate, and then supply a reasoned answer. You could have written "Sir, I find your idea nonsense, since I know that pirateat40 has not yet paid sufficient accounts for 10000 btc to be all that is owing."

I would never phrase a lesson in the way i argued against you, nor would i correct a student in the same way. I thought we were big boys on this forum, please forgive my shortness.

Nevertheless, the idea that 10K bitcoins is larger than the liabilities of pirate is ridiculous, i'm sure you would now agree. Please let me know if you don't.
donator
Poor impulse control.
September 05, 2012, 12:31:26 AM

Pages:
Jump to: