Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official) - page 51. (Read 104454 times)

Activity: 202
Merit: 100
September 05, 2012, 12:24:55 AM
I wonder if, at this point, it would be cheaper for Matthew to pay all of Pirate's debt himself than pay out the bet.

Are you retarded? Pirate's liabilities are around 500k bitcoins if you believe him. Remember, its easier to imagine making 7% on 10000 bitcoins than 100000.

I read either znort or D&T put the amount owing at 100000 BTC, and I have no idea of the total amount paid back yet.

Fewer insults, if you please.

My apologies for insults, they aren't necessary, nor do they advance my position. Regardless, you have proven your assertion to be wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 05, 2012, 12:23:51 AM

How much is bitcoin magazine's rep worth?  You know with him being co-owner and all.  Not good for a fledgling magazine to have a scammer on board.  Nor is it good for the forum here to have staff that scams as well.  This bet affects more than just his reputation.

His magazine's forum rep isn't worth $100,000 either. I somehow doubt they have made $100k worth of sales from it yet, plus I doubt anyone who buys it online or at Barns & Unable will give a crap if one of the owners has a scammer tag on a forum full of trolls. If he does pay out, I'll be surprised. I'm not sure if that will make my opinion of him improve or not.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
September 05, 2012, 12:20:40 AM
I wonder if, at this point, it would be cheaper for Matthew to pay all of Pirate's debt himself than pay out the bet.

Are you retarded? Pirate's liabilities are around 500k bitcoins if you believe him. Remember, its easier to imagine making 7% on 10000 bitcoins than 100000.

I read either znort or D&T put the amount owing at 100000 BTC, and I have no idea of the total amount paid back yet.

Fewer insults, if you please.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 04, 2012, 11:59:22 PM
His reputation is definitely not worth $100k, anyway, let alone $300k

Good point.

I still don't think he has it in him to be a scammer though. If he fails to pay out, that's exactly what he is. The scammer tag wouldn't just be a formality of the bet; no, he would actually be a scammer to all who placed bets, by risking nothing for $300,000 "in case" Pirate pays out.
September 04, 2012, 11:57:22 PM

legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
September 04, 2012, 11:55:35 PM
Hopefully he didn't keep his bitcoins at BitFloor.
September 04, 2012, 11:55:20 PM
I wasn't too skeptical about him paying out when the bets totaled about $10k to $20k, but my skepticism went way up when it his $100k. Honestly I hope he doesn't pay. His reputation is definitely not worth $100k, anyway, let alone $300k

This man is right. Still, has anyone considered how long Matt has been into bitcoin and how large a pile of bitcoins he may have? It's a bit easier to "take that loss" if he doesn't actually have to convert the fiat. For what it's worth, I don't think he'll pay out. I'm pretty sure he's a victim of the pirate mystique(aka this guy is so awesome he can't not have shit under control).
Activity: 322
September 04, 2012, 11:53:38 PM
I wasn't too skeptical about him paying out when the bets totaled about $10k to $20k, but my skepticism went way up when it his $100k. Honestly I hope he doesn't pay. His reputation is definitely not worth $100k, anyway, let alone $300k

How much is bitcoin magazine's rep worth?  You know with him being co-owner and all.  Not good for a fledgling magazine to have a scammer on board.  Nor is it good for the forum here to have staff that scams as well.  This bet affects more than just his reputation.

In December 2011, BitTalk Media Ltd. was originally formed with 7 members of the DCAO: Matthew N. Wright as Director of Operations, Mihai Alisie as Director of Marketing, Vitalik Buterin as Editor in Chief, Vicente S. as Director of Photography, Vladimir Marchenko as Chief Technology Officer.

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us/

With that said.  I don't think he'll scam.  I think he'll payout as promised if he loses.  Guess we'll see.

Good Luck Matt.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
September 04, 2012, 11:27:04 PM
legendary
September 04, 2012, 11:20:22 PM
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
daytrader/superhero
September 04, 2012, 09:12:35 PM
Maybe he is typing up the excuse not to pay. Or deciding it is time to walk away from bitcoin.

That occurred to me too......if matthew loses and actually pays out, is he going to walk away from bitcoin alltogether? I think, given the situation, I would just cash out and move on with life (albeit a couple hundred grand poorer, and with one hell of a story).  Maybe he'll try to rebuild though, so who knows?

So what's the plan if you lose, matthew?

Edit: what's the total up to now?
Why would he pay out if he was going to leave anyway.

If he won, he'd get the equivalent of a small lottery win.
If he lost, he walks away or gets a scammer tag on a geek forum.

It's not a bad strategy.

Poor impulse control, maybe?

But what you are saying is true...and  I've been openly sceptical about him paying out as well...however, I'm just playing devils advocate here and asking "what if"
September 04, 2012, 09:09:29 PM
Maybe he is typing up the excuse not to pay. Or deciding it is time to walk away from bitcoin.

That occurred to me too......if matthew loses and actually pays out, is he going to walk away from bitcoin alltogether? I think, given the situation, I would just cash out and move on with life (albeit a couple hundred grand poorer, and with one hell of a story).  Maybe he'll try to rebuild though, so who knows?

So what's the plan if you lose, matthew?

Edit: what's the total up to now?
Why would he pay out if he was going to leave anyway.

If he won, he'd get the equivalent of a small lottery win.
If he lost, he walks away or gets a scammer tag on a geek forum.

It's not a bad strategy.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
daytrader/superhero
September 04, 2012, 09:05:07 PM

donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
September 04, 2012, 08:57:57 PM
4 days. LOL.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
September 04, 2012, 08:46:07 PM
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
September 04, 2012, 08:44:50 PM
Maybe he's busy with the magazine...
Activity: 420
September 04, 2012, 08:05:13 PM
Matthew seems to have gone quiet, maybe he's fully realized the fiat dollar value of his bet with us. Where's all the bluster? He's been posting once a day, and only then to snipe at Dank.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
September 02, 2012, 11:38:32 AM
Stealing millions is one thing, but being a stuck-up asshole? Unforgivable!

Hahaha. Funny but still 100% true!
legendary
September 02, 2012, 10:54:35 AM
Pirate seriously needs to get knocked down a couple of pegs. Stealing millions is one thing, but being a stuck-up asshole? Unforgivable!
September 02, 2012, 10:35:41 AM
16:45 < Otoh> pirate: The PPT that didn't' comply will have a long road ahead. Those that contacted me ahead of time "Friday" are clear. - So as all my funds I moved from BST to Bitcoinmax wen the new rates were announced are now in a quagmire, is there anything your investors who used the most popular pass through & was recommended as good guy by you able to do now to help solve this? a
16:46 <@pirateat40> Otoh, You won a prize....  "YOU GET NOTHING"!
16:47 -!- mode/#btcst [+b *!*@127.Red-81-38-197.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net] by pirateat40
16:47 -!- Otoh was kicked from #btcst by pirateat40 [You're not welcome here!]
Is this a real quote?
It is a real quote... I was in channel when it occurred.

-- Smoov

Well, this seems positive.
Pages:
Jump to: