Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official) - page 8. (Read 104454 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
September 09, 2012, 11:51:53 PM
If Matthew does own any equity in Bitcoin magazine, I invite those that are in charge to contact me to see If i could help buy him out. I certainly wouldn't mind being part of it, even if its a silent type investment. It only behooves me to see bitcoin magazine (hence the bitcoin) succeed...

AR
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 09, 2012, 11:45:14 PM
You can't force someone to sell something they own (equity). Not unless it's done at gun point, anyway.
You can't "force" them to resign, either. Hopefully they will work out a deal.

Well it looks like he already resigned or was fired. Who knows which until we hear an official announcement. The about-us page listed his position as vacant for a while today and now it's listed as Mihai Alisie. http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us-2/

There was an announcement, Bittalk Media Ltd Announcement September 9th, 2012

I thought I recalled this; "Written by: Bitcoin Magazine" reading as 'Written by: Vlad....' earlier though.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Thank you! Thank you! ...
September 09, 2012, 11:44:27 PM
That's like saying if Matthew just happened to own Intel stock, you'd stop buying any more computers because he "might" be making money from stock appreciation and dividends. Makes no sense man.
The reality is depending on the legal structure of BitTalk Ltd they simply may not have an option to divest an owner but comparing a privately held startup (where the company is held by a dozen or so people) to a major publicly traded corporation is kinda silly.

Point taken. It was a crude analogy admittedly.
September 09, 2012, 11:41:48 PM
You can't force someone to sell something they own (equity). Not unless it's done at gun point, anyway.

Well it looks like he already resigned or was fired. Who knows which until we hear an official announcement. The about-us page listed his position as vacant for a while today and now it's listed as Mihai Alisie. http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us-2/
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 09, 2012, 11:41:22 PM

Well depending on the legal structure of the company, and clauses in the owner's equity stakes you potentially could.  However that may not be the case here. 
Still it may be possible for the company to convince him to sell.  Convince him the damage his continued relationship will do to the company undermines the value of his equity and he is better off taking the current value and exploring new opportunities.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 09, 2012, 11:36:11 PM
That's like saying if Matthew just happened to own Intel stock, you'd stop buying any more computers because he "might" be making money from stock appreciation and dividends. Makes no sense man.

Hardly it would be like if 1970 Gordon Moore stole $500,000 from you then you might not find it acceptable to continue to do business with Intel just because the board asked for his resignation.  Maybe just maybe the fact that Gordon had a significant equity stake and would stand to gain billions over the coming decades if Intel was successful might cause you to do business with a competitor instead.

The reality is depending on the legal structure of BitTalk Ltd they simply may not have an option to divest an owner but comparing a privately held startup (where the company is held by a dozen or so people) to a major publicly traded corporation is kinda silly.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
September 09, 2012, 11:31:55 PM
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 09, 2012, 11:30:07 PM
Thank goodness that Bitcoin magazine has officially accepted his resignation from all responsibilities. This is the first step to recovery..

Bitcoin Magazine now has my full support..

They were innocent victims and have responded quickly and forcefully.. I applaud their behavior..

AR

Not from me.  Not until I know he's no longer making any money from the magazine.  I don't care if he lost his fancy title.

Matthew is out as Editor in Chief; he's not even on the team (http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us-2/) anymore. He basically committed career-suicide (hope it was worth it for him). Who knows if there is any equity/stock option arrangement over there, but if there is it's not like Bitcoin can just break their contracts with current or past employees on a whim. Don't blame Bitcoin Magazine who started distancing themselves from Matthew almost immediately after he made the bet.

Not really. It's like saying if he co-founded Intel and owned 25% of their stock, I'd stop buying Intel machines and use AMD, a perfectly reasonable alternative. Which I would. Hopefully they truly do distance themselves from him and buy his equity out.

Thanks for the better analogy.  I wouldn't have seen what that Matt's sock even said.  I ignored him a few days ago when he called me a shill from the future. Just assumed it was Matt.

Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 09, 2012, 11:26:39 PM
September 09, 2012, 11:16:08 PM
Thank goodness that Bitcoin magazine has officially accepted his resignation from all responsibilities. This is the first step to recovery..

They were innocent victims and have responded quickly and forcefully.. I applaud their behavior..

AR

Not from me.  Not until I know he's no longer making any money from the magazine.  I don't care if he lost his fancy title.

Matthew is out as Editor in Chief; he's not even on the team (http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us-2/) anymore. He basically committed career-suicide (hope it was worth it for him). Who knows if there is any equity/stock option arrangement over there, but if there is it's not like Bitcoin can just break their contracts with current or past employees on a whim. Don't blame Bitcoin Magazine who started distancing themselves from Matthew almost immediately after he made the bet.

Not really. It's like saying if he co-founded Intel and owned 25% of their stock, I'd stop buying Intel machines and use AMD, a perfectly reasonable alternative. Which I would. Hopefully they truly do distance themselves from him and buy his equity out.
September 09, 2012, 11:11:42 PM

AR

Matthew is out as Editor in Chief; he's not even on the team (http://bitcoinmagazine.net/about-us-2/) anymore. He basically committed career-suicide (hope it was worth it for him). Who knows if there is any equity/stock option arrangement over there, but if there is it's not like the magazine can just break their contracts with current or past employees on a whim. Don't blame Bitcoin Magazine who started distancing themselves from Matthew almost immediately after he made the bet.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 09, 2012, 10:28:14 PM

AR

Activity: 686
Wat
September 09, 2012, 10:26:36 PM
In all honestty though, I actually feel VIOLATED.

It's as if Matthew reached into my pocket and stole the Bitcoins right out from under me. This couldn't have come at a worse time, as I already spent the Bitcoins that I had planned to win, so in essence, he's not only a Scammer, but also a thief. Matthew stole my bitcoins.

You should slap yourself for spending money you didn't have.

What did you spend the coins on?

He hired some ninjas.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
September 09, 2012, 10:23:49 PM

AR
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
September 09, 2012, 10:16:38 PM
Pretty weak, can't say I'm shocked.

I enjoy reading what you write a lot more when you write in a similar fashion to this last post. Low on hyperbole and no emotive language, no references to genitalia/sex acts. It reads much more professionally and I pay it more attention - it might stand you in good stead if you wish to make this investigative journalism gig long term.
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
September 09, 2012, 10:09:25 PM
Matt is invited to come on DonkDown radio on Wed. to discuss this matter.

I feel a follow-up interview to his first one is needed at this point.

I hope you play him some clips of the other show.

yes of course I will.  I believe I asked him directly "are you going to make up some weak reason at the end..." or something very close to that when he was on the show a few weeks ago. 

I look forward to hearing that show. Post a link to it here once it's up.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014
FPV Drone Pilot
September 09, 2012, 10:06:44 PM

yes of course I will.  I believe I asked him directly "are you going to make up some weak reason at the end..." or something very close to that when he was on the show a few weeks ago. 
September 09, 2012, 09:59:25 PM

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014
FPV Drone Pilot
September 09, 2012, 09:57:27 PM

September 09, 2012, 09:51:31 PM
Pretty weak, can't say I'm shocked.

Dissapointed in Matt, will never bet with him again of course, and I believe he deserves the scamatar.

From a damage control standpoint, I hope this community separates the awesome work done by the handful of fine gentlemen that work on Bitcoin Magazine with this 1 crazy and hurtful action made by a guy that also works on the magazine.   Of course the backlash towards the magazine is unavoidable when you welch on a $700k+ bet, so that much shouldn't shock Matt or the others involved with that project - some users will not want to give any business to an entity that makes Matt coin.

I personally will be writing an article on BTC gambling for Bitcoin Magazine and I fully support that project after getting my issue #1 delivered a few months late I read it cover to cover and it was so well written and well produced I called every BTC friend in Vegas to see if they wanted to borrow it.  (my issues #2 & #3 are also pretty late, I think I ordered them 3-4 weeks ago - but it's that good I don't care as long as it gets here in calendar 2012)  I will write articles for free for BTC mag as many as they will take from me just to support their amazing magazine which certainly brings bitcoin awareness to many.

This was an idiotic thing for Matt to do.  He has lost almost all credibility with me.  Gamblers take bets very seriously, and had I lost I would have paid.  Because he didn't do that for me, we won't do any future business involving coin.  While me writing articles may directly make Matt coin, I will accept that injustice to fulfill the greater good of spreading BTC.

If the people who own the magazine kick him to the curb, then I will be happy to separate their work and reputation from his. Until then, I hope you'll post your article elsewhere, because I sure as hell won't be reading it in print.
Pages:
Jump to: