Author

Topic: Do you believe in god? - page 166. (Read 316048 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 23, 2016, 10:27:38 AM
Do you believe in God? -- I believe. Why do you believe this? - I believe ordinary people, I must believe something, otherwise I can not sustenance, and then fall into the abyss, never stop, go on.

Try to exercise and meditate.  Find a hobby.

You are very weak as a person if you need to believe in nonsense to go on.

Religion is for weak minded.

Exercise and meditation are good. As is finding a hobby.

All humans are weak minded atheists included. Most of us do not understand what we believe in. For example most "atheists" do not know that their belief in secular atheism leads inevitably to nihilism if they are rational and honest with themselves.

Why Secular Atheism Leads to Nihilism
http://templestream.blogspot.com/2015/02/nihilism-is-logical-philsophical.html
Quote from: Richard H. Warden

Secular atheism, when lived out with intellectual honestly, leads to nihilism. Why is this? Because there is ultimately no objective basis for purposeful meaning in life for the secular atheist. Inventing meaning is neither rational nor logical. For example,  a sign that states “Dead End” would offer an incoherent and false meaning if placed alongside a continuous superhighway. A sign, or anything in life that conveys meaning, only has valid and coherent meaning when it is linked to a corresponding reality in some type of logical manner. Many atheists are confused on this point. Richard Dawkins. for example, has claimed that an “adult” view of life is to subjectively “make” meaning in your life, in whatever manner you may wish to do this. In reality, this is a childish and superficial approach to a deep subject. Children, not adults, are fond of creating make-believe worlds. The following is a quote of Richard Dawkins from the God Delusion:

“The truly adult view [...] is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it. And we can make it very wonderful indeed.”

Unlike Dawkins' make-believe meaning in life, Christian debaters, such as William Lane Craig, have  demonstrated that a rational and logical worldview is possible only when it is based on logically framed precepts arranged in a logical syntax, and not merely based on pretentious whims.

Why Richard Dawkins' View of Meaning is Absurd...

1.  Valid and coherent meaning in life must be somehow verifiable with objective logical principles.
2. Any proposed meaning that is not verifiable with objective logical principles is irrational and ultimately absurd.
3.  Richard Dawkins offers that we should subjectively “make”meaning in life.
4. Therefore, Richard Dawkins' concept of meaning in life is irrational and absurd.

Richard Dawkins' concept of meaning in life seems to consist of an existential secular Spaghetti Monster dressed up in a cheap tuxedo. You can call invented and make-believe meaning in life “adult” or “wonderful” or even “very wonderful” - but it's still seems to be absurd to live life based upon make-believe meaning. What do you personally believe about the concept of meaning?

A. Meaning is an objective facet of life.
B. Meaning is arbitrary according to your whims.
C. Neither A nor B.
D. Both A and B.

An atheist writer posted an article at Dawkins' website, the Richard Dawkins Foundation, which outlines a view of meaning that seems to be a bit more objective than Dawkins' own view of meaning. The post is titled, "Why identify as atheist and not nihilist?" and the author states, "If logical, rational thinking is used then I fail to see how nihilism cannot be the conclusion." and, furthermore, "If you don't believe in a creator or divine plan and you understand how our minds and emotions have evolved as chemical signals and electrical pulses then where do you fit the meaning in to this? I enjoy being alive and live as hedonistic lifestyle as possible yet I am under no illusion that this has any meaning outside of my own mind." It's not surprising that Dawkins' own website offers views that contradict and oppose his own views on meaning. The New Atheists have not offered anything in the way of valid logical arguments to support their position.

Secular Atheists Have no Logical Basis to Affirm Purposeful Meaning in Life

William Lane Craig posted an article at his website entitled, The Absurdity of Life without God, postulating, "Why on atheism life has no ultimate meaning, value, or purpose, and why this view is unlivable."

"The fundamental problem with this solution, however, is that it is impossible to live consistently and happily within such a world view. If one lives consistently, he will not be happy; if one lives happily, it is only because he is not consistent. Francis Schaeffer has explained this point well. Modern man, says Schaeffer, resides in a two-story universe. In the lower story is the finite world without God; here life is absurd, as we have seen. In the upper story are meaning, value, and purpose. Now modern man lives in the lower story because he believes there is no God. But he cannot live happily in such an absurd world; therefore, he continually makes leaps of faith into the upper story to affirm meaning, value, and purpose, even though he has no right to, since he does not believe in God."

Rational Secular Atheists Admit that their Atheism Leads to Nihilism

A self-confessed atheist, Adam, who is quoted at Craig's website, declares that he has come to hate his secular atheism due to its ultimate and undeniable nihilistic philosophical connection.

"This theme came to my attention when I saw an atheist post a long comment for William Lane Craig to address. Adam, the atheist, described why, "There is no escaping the nihilism as an atheist." He wrote to Craig, "After reading your paper on the absurdity of life without God, I soon realized that I had to become a nihilist." and he continued, "Let me mention here that I was a huge fan of the New Atheists, but I always sensed something was askew with them. Something seemed off about them because whenever they were talking about meaning, value, or purpose, they answered in such ways that only a person ignorant of the objections in your paper could respond. In short (too late), your paper never left my mind, even years after I wrote a "response" to it. I knew, deep down, that not only did I not, but could not answer your objections to atheism. What you say the atheistic worldview entails is true. There is no escaping the nihilism as an atheist."

John Piippo's blog outlines an argument William Lane Craig presented on this subject:

1) If theism is true, then we have a solid basis for morality.
2) If theism is false, then we do not have a solid basis for morality.
3) If 2 is true, then atheism does not lead to humanism, but to nihilism.

Dr. Craig states, "If theism is false, you've got to ask yourself, Why wouldn't nihilism be true? What proof do you have that nihilism is not the correct remaining alternative?" and, "Thus, if atheism is true, it becomes impossible to condemn war, oppression, or crime as evil. Nor can one praise brotherhood, equality, or love as good. It doesn't matter what you do - for there is no right and wrong; good and evil does not exist."

The typical reply by atheists is that, "Atheism does not lead to anything, it's just a lack of belief in God." But this is a glib answer that sidesteps the fact that atheism, when taken as a precept for life, is lived out in a very definite context. Any belief lived out in a context has implications. If you believe that atheism does not lead to nihilism in a philosophical context, I would be curious to see your reasoning in a comment of this post. I've found some sample atheist websites that deny (or avoid) this fact in their simplistic and / or vague summaries:  
The question of the meaning and purpose of life is logically an urgent one because it informs all the other decisions in life. This can be outlined in a logical deductive argument, which leads to another argument that supports the logical necessity of God's existence:

Arguments for God from Metalogical Necessities

Activity: 298
Merit: 250
December 23, 2016, 12:06:38 AM
Do you believe in God? -- I believe. Why do you believe this? - I believe ordinary people, I must believe something, otherwise I can not sustenance, and then fall into the abyss, never stop, go on.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
December 21, 2016, 09:33:52 PM
Do i believe in God... hmmm tough question. I dont believe in God in sens of religion terms, coz i dont believe in after life. I believe in balance in nature, symbiosis of all living things. Peaceful life of everything on earth. I believe that love is one of most powerful things out there, love to all.

So you're a hippie, then? That's cool, I enjoyed the free love generation.

I dont think i am, but i dont know much about hippies tho. Who knows, maybe im am one and i dont even know XD . Cheesy

Hippies aren't that hard to understand. They constantly bitch about how they hate the establishment, did everything they could to look and act different from from regular people, got stoned as much as possible while listening to good music and fucking each other's brains out.

It was a good life but the AIDS/HIV scare happened in the early 80s and made us afraid to have sex anymore. Then good Colombian Gold, NorCal sensimilla and grade a pure Peruvian Blue Flake cocaine was replaced by skunk weed, laced weed and crack so getting high wasn't as good as it used to be so we became yuppies driven by money instead. 

Than indeed part of me is hippie (-drugs, im against it) which is interesting to think about. Never thought of my self that way Cheesy .

Well then, welcome to the ex-hippie club brother.  Cheesy

You made me laugh. Not loud one, but that sweet almost silent one. Thanks for warm welcome Cheesy .

Remember people, when in the presents of a hippie, blast slayer.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
December 21, 2016, 06:26:18 PM
Do i believe in God... hmmm tough question. I dont believe in God in sens of religion terms, coz i dont believe in after life. I believe in balance in nature, symbiosis of all living things. Peaceful life of everything on earth. I believe that love is one of most powerful things out there, love to all.

I dont think i am, but i dont know much about hippies tho. Who knows, maybe im am one and i dont even know XD . Cheesy

Hippies aren't that hard to understand. They constantly bitch about how they hate the establishment, did everything they could to look and act different from from regular people, got stoned as much as possible while listening to good music and fucking each other's brains out.

It was a good life but the AIDS/HIV scare happened in the early 80s and made us afraid to have sex anymore. Then good Colombian Gold, NorCal sensimilla and grade a pure Peruvian Blue Flake cocaine was replaced by skunk weed, laced weed and crack so getting high wasn't as good as it used to be so we became yuppies driven by money instead. 

Than indeed part of me is hippie (-drugs, im against it) which is interesting to think about. Never thought of my self that way Cheesy .

Well then, welcome to the ex-hippie club brother.  Cheesy
legendary
December 21, 2016, 06:14:40 PM

Activity: 287
December 21, 2016, 05:58:13 PM
Love is the concept of time and faith in the everlasting God.As the centuries passed and religious preachers still find their admirers. May the love of God and not because God has not been seen.
Activity: 284
December 21, 2016, 02:39:15 PM
Do you believe in god? If you do, why do you believe? (give a few reasons)

I do not believe in the gods, the gods only in the movies, fictional characters representing justice, I do not worship the gods, I just believe in ancestors who died in the line they are my home, my ancestor worship in the belief they will always bring good things for me!

I agree with you. Generally nowadays it is possible to believe in fairy tales about God? Complete idiocy. The best thing about this is that people don't want to think about the fact that explanations of various phenomena in the Bible for children.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
December 21, 2016, 02:05:28 PM
Do you believe in god? If you do, why do you believe? (give a few reasons)

I do not believe in the gods, the gods only in the movies, fictional characters representing justice, I do not worship the gods, I just believe in ancestors who died in the line they are my home, my ancestor worship in the belief they will always bring good things for me!
December 21, 2016, 01:06:28 PM
I believe in God with the letter "G" simply because of the fact that there are things that cannot be explained or that have been explained and I am not convinced to not believe God over. All through human evolution and development especially in the world of Science they have tried to provide explanations to events in which people of the past believe were supernatural and by so they believed in God but today quite a number of explanations have been given but still some still make my believe in God stronger that there is truly a supernatural...

What is it that that you dont understand? I'll try providing you with the answer as much as I can. Btw just because there's something we didn't understand yet, that doesn't mean that god did it.. that's the most lazy and ignorant thing to believe... Let's all just do nothing because fuck it, we're gonna die anyways and there's no need to research or develop anything because god did it and  we're gonna die anyways and go to heaven where we will live in the eternally happy afterlife. That way of thinking like you was a couple of thousands years ago... What the hell is that blue lightning in the sky that makes such a loud noise? GODS ARE ANGRY WITH US... Evolve
December 21, 2016, 01:02:30 PM
I believe in god. Where we come from? From apes. Where did apes come from? evolution? Who'd evolution start? from the waters of the earth. How'd the earth start. It's one of the dust of the big bang. How did the big bang happen? Wellllll... hydrogen and some elements collided and boom it exploded. How did those element start? well... I don't know maybe God made it. Shit stop asking.

That's the perfect explanation of how god came into existence. People created god to explain all the things they don't understand yet.

People failed to understand what the sun was so they created the sun god.

I actually think the story of the Mayan sun god is a more believable story than most of the bullshit in the Bible and other mediterranean fairy tales. 

"People created god to explain all the things they don't understand yet.

People failed to understand what the sun was so they created the sun god."

Are you saying that humanity gained higher powers to something they could not explain? Like life, Sun, Thunder and used the sky as a final frontier because the concept of flying beyond the Earths gravity field was way out of their minds before? So they used something that is unreachable as the home of their gods? :O Try explaining that to BADecker.
December 21, 2016, 12:59:32 PM
I believe in god. Where we come from? From apes. Where did apes come from? evolution? Who'd evolution start? from the waters of the earth. How'd the earth start. It's one of the dust of the big bang. How did the big bang happen? Wellllll... hydrogen and some elements collided and boom it exploded. How did those element start? well... I don't know maybe God made it. Shit stop asking.

yeah it would be quite confusing if we think about how this all adds up. it would be more difficult to think that this all happened without an architect that orchestrated all this. i think we humans are the ones who made up the notion of god as god. someone who lives in heaven with all the angels and all that. for me i believe that someone greater than us exists and that things are not made randomly. there is order in everything and i think it's not a coincidence that it's made this way. although it's also good as people who believe in god and all he represents tend to be good people for fear of going to hell.

That is the beauty of faith. People cant prove there is no God or that there is. Its a bit hard to think that there is no grater power over us and that we are all there it is, and that everything is just a probability of chance. When people are powerless they turn to God always, even in some cases hardcore non believers. But i agree with you when you say that religion is good on terms of guidance how to be good man. And i think that is sole purpose of religion, to become good man. But oh well there is always some greedy guy who will exploit good human hearth for solo gain.

Ahmed is  devout muslim, Ahmed blew himself in the crowd of people, Ahmed is a good man. Well then clearly there is something wrong.
Activity: 284
December 21, 2016, 12:16:40 PM
I believe in God with the letter "G" simply because of the fact that there are things that cannot be explained or that have been explained and I am not convinced to not believe God over. All through human evolution and development especially in the world of Science they have tried to provide explanations to events in which people of the past believe were supernatural and by so they believed in God but today quite a number of explanations have been given but still some still make my believe in God stronger that there is truly a supernatural...
I wonder what's so supernatural, you saw yourself. I'm sure it's nothing. That someone said somewhere. Are there still people who believe in what they say? There is a saying "Trust but verify". It is for you.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 529
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 21, 2016, 12:11:46 PM

yeah it would be quite confusing if we think about how this all adds up. it would be more difficult to think that this all happened without an architect that orchestrated all this. i think we humans are the ones who made up the notion of god as god. someone who lives in heaven with all the angels and all that. for me i believe that someone greater than us exists and that things are not made randomly. there is order in everything and i think it's not a coincidence that it's made this way. although it's also good as people who believe in god and all he represents tend to be good people for fear of going to hell.
legendary
December 21, 2016, 12:09:10 PM

legendary
December 21, 2016, 11:46:55 AM

That's the perfect explanation of how god came into existence. People created god to explain all the things they don't understand yet.

I actually think the story of the Mayan sun god is a more believable story than most of the bullshit in the Bible and other mediterranean fairy tales. 
I am sure that religion is kept still only because the state is interested in cooperation with religious organizations. They in exchange for tax incentives continue to befuddle the people in their interests and the state.

Absolutely, most people have heard the famous quote of Voltaire, "If god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him". Voltaire develops the idea that the existence of God (or the belief therein) helps establish social order. The common clay, the salt of the earth, the ordinary man, the average joe, imbeciles or whatever you want to call them do not have the intellectual capacity to understand or rationalize the world around them.

These imbeciles have no ability to understand the reason for social order through government control. To this day there are people that want anarchy and believe they can have it and still have paved roads and fast food while they run around legally raping every woman they see and taking any drug they want. They don't understand how necessary order is in society. Government control (law enforcement and military) can't be everywhere all the time. It's the reason private security exists and it's the reason governments need god. Both private security and god have the same purpose and operate in the same way. They can't really stop people from doing bad things but they create enough of a deterrent to stop much of it before it happens.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 569
December 21, 2016, 11:10:34 AM
Activity: 238
December 21, 2016, 11:07:04 AM

I am sure that religion is kept still only because the state is interested in cooperation with religious organizations. They in exchange for tax incentives continue to befuddle the people in their interests and the state.
legendary
December 21, 2016, 11:00:52 AM

Activity: 279
December 21, 2016, 10:47:32 AM
Why don't you think what on Earth were suitable for the climate and some sort of meteorite was brought to the ocean cells which began to multiply mutate and formed life. What does God do? Or do you believe in a piece of clay from which he made Adam? Nonsense!
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
December 21, 2016, 10:07:28 AM
Jump to: