Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you really earn more money because you went to college? - page 13. (Read 13046 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
The big problem back 30 years ago was going to College gave you a leg up on another person, it wasn't mandatory but it definitely helped you out!

Nowadays by not going to College it actually hurts you because so many other people are going to college....so yes even a job managing a Mcdonalds may be a college grad vs someone who isn't, and they will go with the College graduate most of the time...

Very true.  At least in some disciplines, a bachelor's is the new high school diploma, and a master's is the new bachelor's.

The problem is you might have to spend about $100,000 and above for a degree unless you get scholarship. The $100,000 can make good money from business or investment.

This doesn't have to be true.  If you go to one of your state's public universities, you'll probably pay no more than half of that for tuition.  If you need to cut costs further, you could go to a community college for the first two years and then transfer.  Community college shouldn't cost you more than a few thousand a year for tuition.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Just curious, can the loan be taken out and use as something else then to pay for college?

No, you can't take a student loan out and not use it to pay for college.  Usually you don't even touch the loan, however I know I was sent a little extra during tuition time for books and stuff.  So I was technically able to spend that money on other stuff....
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
The problem is you might have to spend about $100,000 and above for a degree unless you get scholarship. The $100,000 can make good money from business or investment.

Are you suggesting to invest the $100,000 into something else?  The problem with that is most people don't actually have the 100k, they take out loans about loans that they end up paying the rest of their life.

If I had 100k back then to invest I would have easily been fine, I didn't I went to college and took out student loans unfortunately.

Just curious, can the loan be taken out and use as something else then to pay for college?

Are you suggesting to invest the $100,000 into something else?  The problem with that is most people don't actually have the 100k, they take out loans about loans that they end up paying the rest of their life.

If I had 100k back then to invest I would have easily been fine, I didn't I went to college and took out student loans unfortunately.
Activity: 420
The big problem back 30 years ago was going to College gave you a leg up on another person, it wasn't mandatory but it definitely helped you out!

Nowadays by not going to College it actually hurts you because so many other people are going to college....so yes even a job managing a Mcdonalds may be a college grad vs someone who isn't, and they will go with the College graduate most of the time...

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
I'm currently going to University to be a pharmacist.. I hope I earn more money!

I once knew a pharmacist. He made really good money if I remember right. He didn't have a permanent full-time job, but he would fill in at various pharmacies in the area once or twice a week and still seemed to live really well.

Not a bad life. Working only 1 or 2 days a week and having the rest for yourself would be pretty good. Sort of like the opposite of what normal people have to go through. I wonder why more doctors, surgeons, bankers, etc. don't do this. I know a dentist who is 62 but is still working at his own clinic for the past 30 years. He even works on Saturdays and works until 5 o'clock. With that sort of income, I would have paid off my student loans and retired in my 30's.

Maybe it's not money they are after, did you think of that? Wink
Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,
Well just think if there was no such thing as school or education. Do you think anyone would be qualified for today's jobs that require a shit ton of education? If you needed surgery, would you want a random guy on the street to perform it on you? There's definitely a need to qualify people for certain jobs through education.

Certainly -- there is some level of specialization that we want to see. I think the issue for many is more so the culture of everybody going to college, which means most people pursue non-specialized liberal arts degrees. I can understand from that perspective a bit more.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
Well just think if there was no such thing as school or education. Do you think anyone would be qualified for today's jobs that require a shit ton of education? If you needed surgery, would you want a random guy on the street to perform it on you? There's definitely a need to qualify people for certain jobs through education.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Yes, but I came out with zero debt as well..  I took Electrical engineering technology in Canada and it cost me probably 15k total for 3.5 years with 3 6 month paid co-op terms.  I currently work in my field making a lot more than minimum.

I would NEVER recommend spending a lot of money on school.

Not a bad life. Working only 1 or 2 days a week and having the rest for yourself would be pretty good. Sort of like the opposite of what normal people have to go through. I wonder why more doctors, surgeons, bankers, etc. don't do this. I know a dentist who is 62 but is still working at his own clinic for the past 30 years. He even works on Saturdays and works until 5 o'clock. With that sort of income, I would have paid off my student loans and retired in my 30's.

I personally think a lot of people actually like work.  Like they are not happy unless they are working, or fear of doing nothing.  A good buddy of mine is like this, granted they will always bitch about how busy they are and it sucks they have no free time, but you can tell they really enjoy being busy.  You can tell these people apart because when they do have free time, they are constantly working on "side projects" and making sure they have no free time.
Activity: 364
I'm currently going to University to be a pharmacist.. I hope I earn more money!

I once knew a pharmacist. He made really good money if I remember right. He didn't have a permanent full-time job, but he would fill in at various pharmacies in the area once or twice a week and still seemed to live really well.

I don't think pharmacist only work 1 or 2 days per week, it should be 40 hours or more..
Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Activity: 686

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
getting that job to pay it back when your 55 years old.

Well, it's a matter of degree as well. I know people who borrowed 6 figures for an undergrad degree. That's crazy. But borrowing 50% or 100% of a year's salary? That's not that crazy.
It really depends on your degree. If you are getting a degree in finance that can pay 6 figures after 2 years then borrowing 3 years salary would not be a big deal as it can be paid back and the salary is much higher then that if you didn't have a degree.

What I think is crazy is people paying anything at all for degrees like history or English as these degrees are generally worthless.

A degree in finance that can pay 6 figures after 2 years? Yeah, that doesn't exist, or at least statistically not worth discussing. I'd disagree as well with the latter point, assuming the graduates are willing to work admin/communications/marketing/etc jobs and not married to academia.

Well, it's a matter of degree as well. I know people who borrowed 6 figures for an undergrad degree. That's crazy. But borrowing 50% or 100% of a year's salary? That's not that crazy.
It really depends on your degree. If you are getting a degree in finance that can pay 6 figures after 2 years then borrowing 3 years salary would not be a big deal as it can be paid back and the salary is much higher then that if you didn't have a degree.

What I think is crazy is people paying anything at all for degrees like history or English as these degrees are generally worthless.

History professor? English professor? History teacher? English teacher? Although for the latter two, you might need a teaching qualification as well.
Activity: 110

Going to college actually spend more money then making more money. You can use the 5 years time in college to work as anything and most probably manager level after 5 years.
700 euro per year for 5 years = spending more than earning? Hm.
This might be in the US, but only insane people go live there.  Cheesy

700 euros per year is very cheap for a college education. It costs about 5 times that where I live.
Pages:
Jump to: