Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you really earn more money because you went to college? - page 16. (Read 13046 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
The money spend on college would be better spend on business or investment instead.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
I went and had trouble getting a decent job. I know people who didn't go and have nice, well paid jobs. My current job has nothing to do with my education, so don't go if you don't want to Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
college is for the brain dead
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
It depends a lot on what field you eventually go into and what you make of your college experience.  Some jobs, like engineering, require a college education so you at least know the basics.  But there are a lot of areas that don't require a college diploma to do well.
Activity: 60
★☆★Bitin.io★☆★
Well IMO, it depends on the individual itself, for example if one have a diploma but doesn't have a drive or eagerness to succeed then i think he would likely to fail in his/her endeavor.

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
no, because of college i tried weed and it messed up my brain.  now i can't get a job (disabled).

Jesus will cure you. Just accept Jesus into your heart. (Not the mexican jesus, the 'MURICAN Jesus)
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
unequivocally no
skill sets and degrees are not necessarily correlated
Great article by Reid Hoffman given below

http://reidhoffman.org/disrupting-the-diploma/

Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,
no, because of college i tried weed and it messed up my brain.  now i can't get a job (disabled).

Disabled from smoking weed -- haha, funny joke. Tongue

But seriously, I tell you, the key to life is bullshitting people. Trying to pad your resume without the experience will only get you so far. It takes more than a degree, but it can help you get your foot in the door, certainly.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
There is corelation between education and earnings, but mainly its how you do in business

Earnings are higher for educated people but if you factor in the fact that educated people are smarter, more connected before going into college, hungrier for success and the cost of college do you really earn more money because you went to college?
Activity: 343
Merit: 11
Rangers.Protocol
Answer is YES, Sure
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
There is corelation between education and earnings, but mainly its how you do in business
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Activity: 126
Of course it does. Knowledge = money. And college is the easiest way to learn knowledge and get some good connections. You can use later in finding jobs or creating a business.
Activity: 78
STEP 1: GO TO COLLEGE
STEP 2: DROP OUT

Most successful people dropped out of college. Notice the word "dropped out". This is different from having never attended. Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Richard Branson* (Virgin), Michael Dell (Dell), Larry Ellison (Oracle), Larry Page and Sergey Brin* (Google), Sean Parker (Napster and the first President of Facebook), the guy who made CNN, the list goes on...

Got a computer? Chances are, it's running either Windows (Gates) or OS X (Jobs). Got a phone? It's probably either an iPhone (Jobs), a Windows phone (Gates), or an Android phone (Page/Brin). Want to look something up? You'll probably either use Google (Page/Brin) or Bing (Gates).

*Technically, Branson was a high school dropout and the guys from Google dropped out of their postgrad programs but you get the idea.

EDIT: Elon Musk (Tesla) also dropped out of his postgrad:

Quote from: Wikipedia
He moved to California to pursue a PhD in applied physics at Stanford but left the program after two days to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space.

EDIT 2: The Ethereum guy, another dropout:

So what’s his background? Buterin attended college for a year -- and then left due to Bitcoin opportunities. "I don’t regret it," he said. "Look at what I’m doing now."

So the message seems to be that in order to be successful, generally you need to go to college (well, except Branson). But if there is one common thread that unites the most successful people of the world, then it is the fact that they proceeded to drop out of college in order to follow their dreams and aspirations.

Not to mention college dropouts are over-represented among list of the billionaires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_dropout_billionaires

Quote from: Wikipedia
The average net worth of billionaires who dropped out of college, $9.4 billion, is approximately triple that of billionaires with Ph.D.s, $3.2 billion. Even if one removes Bill Gates, who left Harvard University and is now worth $66.0 billion, college dropouts are worth $5.3 billion on average, compared to those who finished only bachelor's degrees, who are worth $2.9 billion.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
College is to educate not to allow you to earn more money. Sure the qualifications enable you to get a higher paying job as you'll be qualified for it, but this is only because without the college education you would nt know what you are doing
Employers prefer qualified employees and people who know what they are doing...of course depending on the field, college graduates look better than your average high school pass.

No, College does not earn you more money, but it certainly does enable you to earn more money.
Activity: 126
you do not get a job because you don't want to do the job Tongue college gives you the degree and knowledge and makes you eligible for any interview you can't blame on your college life if you say you started weed in college there is also new thing which is added into your life means something is growing in your life .
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1074
If I didn't go to College I will not know about computers, Probably I could not have a job. I think it is worth it.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Activity: 224
VocalPlatform.com
No, unfortunately here in Mexico it is more profitable selling Tacos than performing studies...
Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,
If you don't know people who can put you on, a degree is an easy first way employers separate the wheat from the chaff. Getting your foot in the door is half the battle. Knowing how to deal with people and bullshit your way through life -- that's the other half. If you don't have that, a degree probably won't get you too far.
Pages:
Jump to: