Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think "iamnotback" really has the" Bitcoin killer"? - page 4. (Read 79918 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
What I don't get is, if segwit is such a flaw, how come all these programmers are saying it's perfectly fine, risking their reputation for life? I mean everyone in Core is wrong? Andreas A is wrong?, why are they gambling with their reputation? because I don't believe no one of these guys has realized the supposed flaws that have been commented about segwit for a while.

I am asking myself exactly the same question. I'Ve googled for Segwit and stealing transaction and didn' find a lot of matches. Why is there not more discussion about it?

The idea is that the transactions made under the segwit format would become an eventual prize pot for hackers to steal (well, in this case it would be miners), so we would be under a DAO-type disaster but instead of ETH stuck in some exploitable smart contract, it would be the BTC in all the segwit addresses (that is what I understand as a non-coder)

My question is: If Peter Wuille, Gmaxwell, Luke Dash Jr, Adam Back, Eric Lombrozo, TheBlueMatt, and the list goes on and on, of people that have either contributed or publicly supported segwit, either don't know that this can happen or know that it will happen and ignore it, it seems like they are all a bunch of kamikazes ready to ruin their reputation pretty much for life. The question is obviously: Why?

And I don't believe for a second none of them are aware of the potential disaster described by anonymint, so why are they ignoring it? Maybe they consider it only a theoretical risk that can never happen in practice? It just seems strange to me, that all of them are willing to gamble with their reputation, hoping that nothing goes wrong.

Quite interesting logic here, but I wonder about 2 points as well

1. Same question hold why most of the hashpower do (did) not support what these big and influencing core list strongly support and offer ?  Reputation is much more risky to hashpower (hardware, bitcoin, long-term) investment than to coding business.

2. What chances have core to stay in power for as long as possible and do side chain coding business on 2nd layers, where a stupid block size increase solves a lot and makes this business redundant? - They just try to win where there is nothing really, but they have the historic track record allowing this to some degree.

So I conclude the SW will still be delayed (attacked), no matter with or w/o the 2x by most hashpower - to get core to the final thing: Change PoW. This will be the ultimate alt CoreCoin  to get rid of them.

Miners reputation is way less relevant for their financial future than coders.

A miner can fuck around with their signaling intention to manipulate the price and make some money. At the end of the day, people are still going to accept their hashrate on their coins because hashrate is hashrate. As far as their mining-gear sales, it's not clear to me it would have an impact. Bitmain has fucked around to the max and they still are the monopoly in sales.
I want to see what happens once intel, nvidia and AMD join the mining game along other bigger actors.

But what I mean is, Bitmain seems to be still doing ok ASIC sales wise.

Now if a coder fucks up at the scale of the theoretical segwit disaster... his career is over. Who is going to hire you if you will be remembered for such a fail?

Well you may still get some jobs, but as far as street creed as a coder goes, that would be a fatal mistake, specially in bitcoin. Any big mistake in bitcoin will cost a lot to the coder involved in the fuckup.

This is why I don't understand why all these people are willing to gamble with their hard earned reputation across years, taking the risk to become a DAO-developer tier joke. I mean who is going to buy a project made by the DAO guys now? lol

So that's what I don't get at all. And these people are all rich as fuck already, so im ruling out money. Therefore, why are they doing it?

OK - I hear you.

I've been working with many devs in industry for several years and I know devs are getting in love with pure code, functions and features - but just for sake of being code heroes. They lose contact to the earth and to economics totally and do lot of code work overtime just for own nerdy pleasure - I did escape.

I know it is really needed to split tasks - things are getting way too complex and (protocol !!) code is only needed to ensure minimum requirements to enable easy client dev. All other stuff has to be done in the different clients and their very needs.

Scaling comes mostly for free, if you keep code clean and easy (put it concurrent!) and get other hardware tech  for free on top (get Moore !!).

Economics is the chooser.

I do not see we are even close to..

But you are saying that EVERYONE involved in segwit, either coding it or promoting it, have lost their mind and are promoting it because they are nerds that value the code above everything else?

If you are implying that blocksize increases are the solution, according to data gathered on full nodes performance, it isnt:

I mean anything higher than 2MB is just nuts in practice. The exponential growth would be too much. And what does 2MB solve really? it's just nothing in the big picture. The cons outweighs the pros. Fee market will prevail unless you want only corporations and rich people to run nodes (and assuming these rich people  care about staying on a decentralized network, they would need non-rich people to run nodes too because they are the bulk of the population that would allow a widespread network, otherwise it's not really decentralized).

The paradox is that, if there is no further scaling, there will be less and less incentive to run full nodes since less and less people will be able to to make transactions. But most non-rich people would understand by then that BTC is mostly to hold and not to constantly move it, and I think some scaling would eventually be allowed.

Anonymint often quotes the Trilema guy, and I was once reading his blog and I think even him considered an eventual blocksize increase if the hardfork meet certain requirements (I think this is what I understood unless he was trolling, but it seemed a serious blog entry, I dont have the time to find it now just look around).

But that is a very different thing from pretending to hardfork in 3 months for example. The fees are still low and the fees will need to go way higher for any of that to get a serious consideration.
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
What I don't get is, if segwit is such a flaw, how come all these programmers are saying it's perfectly fine, risking their reputation for life? I mean everyone in Core is wrong? Andreas A is wrong?, why are they gambling with their reputation? because I don't believe no one of these guys has realized the supposed flaws that have been commented about segwit for a while.

I am asking myself exactly the same question. I'Ve googled for Segwit and stealing transaction and didn' find a lot of matches. Why is there not more discussion about it?

The idea is that the transactions made under the segwit format would become an eventual prize pot for hackers to steal (well, in this case it would be miners), so we would be under a DAO-type disaster but instead of ETH stuck in some exploitable smart contract, it would be the BTC in all the segwit addresses (that is what I understand as a non-coder)

My question is: If Peter Wuille, Gmaxwell, Luke Dash Jr, Adam Back, Eric Lombrozo, TheBlueMatt, and the list goes on and on, of people that have either contributed or publicly supported segwit, either don't know that this can happen or know that it will happen and ignore it, it seems like they are all a bunch of kamikazes ready to ruin their reputation pretty much for life. The question is obviously: Why?

And I don't believe for a second none of them are aware of the potential disaster described by anonymint, so why are they ignoring it? Maybe they consider it only a theoretical risk that can never happen in practice? It just seems strange to me, that all of them are willing to gamble with their reputation, hoping that nothing goes wrong.

1. Same question hold why most of the hashpower do (did) not support what these big and influencing core list strongly support and offer ?  Reputation is much more risky to hashpower (hardware, bitcoin, long-term) investment than to coding business.

2. What chances have core to stay in power for as long as possible and do side chain coding business on 2nd layers, where a stupid block size increase solves a lot and makes this business redundant? - They just try to win where there is nothing really, but they have the historic track record allowing this to some degree.

So I conclude the SW will still be delayed (attacked), no matter with or w/o the 2x by most hashpower - to get core to the final thing: Change PoW. This will be the ultimate alt CoreCoin  to get rid of them.

A miner can fuck around with their signaling intention to manipulate the price and make some money. At the end of the day, people are still going to accept their hashrate on their coins because hashrate is hashrate. As far as their mining-gear sales, it's not clear to me it would have an impact. Bitmain has fucked around to the max and they still are the monopoly in sales.
I want to see what happens once intel, nvidia and AMD join the mining game along other bigger actors.

Now if a coder fucks up at the scale of the theoretical segwit disaster... his career is over. Who is going to hire you if you will be remembered for such a fail?

Well you may still get some jobs, but as far as street creed as a coder goes, that would be a fatal mistake, specially in bitcoin. Any big mistake in bitcoin will cost a lot to the coder involved in the fuckup.

This is why I don't understand why all these people are willing to gamble with their hard earned reputation across years, taking the risk to become a DAO-developer tier joke. I mean who is going to buy a project made by the DAO guys now? lol

So that's what I don't get at all. And these people are all rich as fuck already, so im ruling out money. Therefore, why are they doing it?

OK - I hear you.

I've been working with many devs in industry for several years and I know devs are getting in love with pure code, functions and features - but just for sake of being code heroes. They lose contact to the earth and to economics totally and do lot of code work overtime just for own nerdy pleasure - I did escape.

I know it is really needed to split tasks - things are getting way too complex and (protocol !!) code is only needed to ensure minimum requirements to enable easy client dev. All other stuff has to be done in the different clients and their very needs.

Scaling comes mostly for free, if you keep code clean and easy (put it concurrent!) and get other hardware tech  for free on top (get Moore !!).

Economics is the chooser.

I do not see we are even close to..
legendary

hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale

Activity: 322
Merit: 151
They're tactical

Im not sure they would consider the opinion of bitcoin scene is all that matter for their reputation .
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight

This problem has been pointed out to core devs almost since SegWit was A Thing. They acknowledge that it is technically possible, but they ridicule any notion that it is a practical risk. I believe they are gravely mistaken. The risk is unacceptable. While perhaps small initially, the risk grows unboundedly with the cumulative UTXO ever used in segwit transactions.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250
This guy is such a bullshitter. Where's his perfect coin, or even a whitepaper for it?

As far as his attack scenarios, they never manifest, never. This is the guy who had 100 reasons for why Ethereum would fail, and yet look where we are today. Is it technically possible for a big miner to steal coins with SegWit, as Shelby claims will happen? Yes, but such an action would crater the price of Bitcoin, destroying not only the value of the stolen BTC (which would probably be blacklisted), but also the value of the attacker's mining hardware. In other words, the attack may be technically possible, but the economic incentives are so thoroughly against such an attack, that it will never happen.
Activity: 351
Merit: 134

Even if it were possible to do what shelby claims (which I highly doubt), 100% of miners have locked into segwit which means there will be 0% hash power on the old fork because 100% of miners have committed to mine on the new fork.

Basically, the old fork will be dead, everyone having moved over to the segwit fork, so the point would be moot anyway.

Cheers, paul.
legendary

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

legendary
Last thing I heard is, he is recovering from the meds and he is feeling better and able to work on Bitnet now, let's see what he has to offer. Big things take time so we'll have to wait.

This article is well worth reading!! The next few months are when fortunes will be lost, and made ... wise decisions need good information!

If there is really a crash due the problems described there, then where would you put your bitcoins at? because in theory there wouldn't be any crypto that would be safe since the confidence would be lost in crypto altogether. Im hoping nothing goes wrong now that BTC is about to hit $4000+
I wouldn't like to go fiat, it just sucks. The whole process is a mess.

Activity: 544
Merit: 500
Good to see zooko following anonymint's work.

Thanks for writing this. I think it is an important point that the safety of "mixing" schemes (including ringsigs) depends on the nature of the "decoy" inputs. I'd like to see a more rigorous analysis of what exactly the requirements are for safety of schemes like the one Monero currently uses, under adversarial conditions.

If someone wanted to gain more ability to break the privacy of future Monero transactions, the way to do it would be to generate lots of dummy transactions between now and then so that the future Monero transactions would accidentally choose your transactions as decoys, thinking that they were getting privacy that way, but actually since those are your transactions, it doesn't provide any privacy from you. Right?

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@anonymint/is-monero-s-or-all-anonymity-broken#@zooko/re-anonymint-is-monero-s-or-all-anonymity-broken-20170811t161441441z
sud
Activity: 826
Merit: 301
I analyze many other systems such as PoW, (D)PoS, dPoW, Byteball, Iota, Casper, Tendermint, Intel's Proof of Elapsed Time, Trusted Execution Environments, etc, etc.. I lay it all out starting from fundamental explanations of the FLP impossibility result and a taxonomy of work arounds of which there are two main categories: probabilistic, asymptotic and Byzantine agreement. Then I put all the systems into that taxonomy and relate my design to it.

Can you elaborate more about that design?
Activity: 322
Merit: 151
They're tactical
Trusted execution environment is interesting problematic  Grin
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
I analyze many other systems such as PoW, (D)PoS, dPoW, Byteball, Iota, Casper, Tendermint, Intel's Proof of Elapsed Time, Trusted Execution Environments, etc, etc.. I lay it all out starting from fundamental explanations of the FLP impossibility result and a taxonomy of work arounds of which there are two main categories: probabilistic, asymptotic and Byzantine agreement. Then I put all the systems into that taxonomy and relate my design to it.
Activity: 1792
Merit: 536
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

interesting read as usual from anonymint. i need to spend some time reading through the links on the article to get a good grasp of what he is talking about. good to hear he is active again and his health is improving. keep it coming
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight

Quote from: Shelby
Quote from: jbreher
Of course, one can convert a segwit coin back to a bitcoin by spending it to yourself in a non-segwit transaction.
Not necessarily true. If anyone can spend the SegWit transaction, then miners can in theory orphan your second spend if there are long enough range chain reorganizations. Given the SegWit booty that will start accumulating when SegWit goes live (~Aug 23), then long range change reorganizations are economically plausible.

Drat! You're right! Even worse!

(Shelby - if you're reading this - I have no plans of creating a steemit account, which is the reason I reply here)
Activity: 568
Merit: 703
Pages:
Jump to: