Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think mining will be profitable again ? - page 3. (Read 7079 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077
Most of the big manufacturers have been mining with their own hardware for a while before selling it on to home miners.

Problem is as weeks and months pass and difficulty increases fewer people are mining at home because there's no point.

Manufacturers will be left with all their own hardware eventually because no-one will want to buy it.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
It already is profitable for KNC, Bitfury and others. That is why they don't sell to home miners and mine their own massive farms.

Will it ever be profitable for the home or small miner again? No it will only get worse see what Spondoolies Tech has done? Partnerships to build larger and larger hash rate farms with higher and higher efficiency. You can't compete with that at home. Game over.

Okay

Spondoolies-tech
   Bitfury
   KNC
   Bitmaintech

All decide to cut small miners out.

Leaves us

Bitmaintech
Sfards
Avalon----------------your favorite company------------just a joke among the two of us.
and whatever others.

No one profits by having more hashrate if they are self mining.

Escalation hurts all giant miners. Unless they sell outside their  own mining camps.

This is a fact.  BTW this is one reason growth is slowing.  If I have 10% of the whole network with 2 watt machines.

The same 10% of the network with a .4 watt machine is a score.  No big company needs more hash.  All big self mining companies need more efficient hash and low power costs.

Big companies will never squeeze the little guy fully out of the picture.

But as I have said WTF do I know I thought iPads would never sell when they first came out.

Bitmaintech mines massively and sells the leftovers to home miners. Will they continue to sell to smaller interests as long as it is after getting a few weeks off them first probably but doubtful longer term given the RMAs etc mounting. I suspect by 2016 they will not be selling nor will SFARDS nor Avalon. The last two maybe way too late and inefficient moving in 2016. Competing with Spondoolies and BitFury and KNC you can't be behind the efficiency curve as it eats your mining profits.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
It already is profitable for KNC, Bitfury and others. That is why they don't sell to home miners and mine their own massive farms.

Will it ever be profitable for the home or small miner again? No it will only get worse see what Spondoolies Tech has done? Partnerships to build larger and larger hash rate farms with higher and higher efficiency. You can't compete with that at home. Game over.

Okay

Spondoolies-tech
   Bitfury
   KNC

All decide to cut small miners out.

Leaves us

Bitmaintech
Sfards
Avalon----------------your favorite company------------just a joke among the two of us.
and whatever others.

No one profits by having more hashrate if they are self mining.

Escalation hurts all giant miners. Unless they sell outside their  own mining camps.

This is a fact.  BTW this is one reason growth is slowing.  If I have 10% of the whole network with 2 watt machines.

The same 10% of the network with a .4 watt machine is a score.  No big company needs more hash.  All big self mining companies need more efficient hash and low power costs.

Big companies will never squeeze the little guy fully out of the picture.

But as I have said WTF do I know I thought iPads would never sell when they first came out.

legendary

I couldn't agree more, unless you're lucky enough to have dirt cheap electricity and the latest efficient hardware then you might make small profits for the short term.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010
As others have said, profitable at home: probably not. profitable for major companies manufacturing hardware: probably until 2140.
Activity: 924

legendary
comes and goes. right now someone is paying .0093 to mine they are getting 868gh

and have 1.6 coins on order #358916  if it is pointed at f2pool  spread is 0.00930 to 0.01017

if at ban and ban pays it is 0.00930 to  0.01057

ban has been paying slowly but that is a big difference.
legendary
Activity: 1456
So kinda like "hashing arbitrage"?

Seems less risky than just trading Bitcoins with the inevitable fees whenever you convert BTC to/from USD.

I wonder how long term a strategy this is, though the terms "long term" might be a bit silly in the Bitcoin realm.  Smiley

Depending on how low nicehash/westhash is it's better then arbitrage.  Within past week you could have rented at -8 percent. No I cannot explain why anyone let's their gear mine there without price set up correctly.   

But you could go for a entire month of arbitrage and not make 8 percent if it goes wrong.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
So kinda like "hashing arbitrage"?

Seems less risky than just trading Bitcoins with the inevitable fees whenever you convert BTC to/from USD.

I wonder how long term a strategy this is, though the terms "long term" might be a bit silly in the Bitcoin realm.  Smiley
legendary
Hello,
I really want start mining, but I know actually it's not profitable and most of the time it's a waste of money.
So I wanted to kknow if you think that the mining will be profitable again ?
If not, why there is still so much miner ?
i don't think it will profitable any more, it is profitable only for old miners who already got their investment returned for mining hardware and  now they are only mining at cost of electricity while new miner has to earn for electricity and hardware investment

There are ways to make money at this without owning anything more then a pc..  Proper spot rentals will earn you money.
 So to the op mining via rental is profitable  today if you know when to rent and wait for the right prices.

So you have to wait for a time when somebody on Westhash (for example) is willing to rent their mining hardware at a rate lower than what they would get mining on a pool? Kinda the opposite of when I renting out the hash on my SP20 at 30-40% over the rate I would get on Kano's pool? An "efficient market" theory would suggest that those kinds of disparities don't exist, or at least not for very long.
  careful timing will give you 3 to 5 days each difficulty adjustment that are more then 5% under.

So renting 500th at .0092 when real price is 0.01055 can be done.  then point at a pps pool paying 0.0101 .

when all is said and done 3% a day profit  pretty much certain to profit.

I just rented 6btc over the last 3 days.  I paid 0.0092 to 0.0094  pointed it at f2pool and was   paid 0.01013   basically 6btc in and 6.18btc back.

I did this with https://mining.bitcoinaffiliatenetwork.com/index.php  on and off for 3 months it was   harder to get low prices  .  I suspect a lot of people were trying to do it with them.  But they started paying really slow and I became afraid to use them.

So with no gear and patience  mining makes money right now.
legendary
Hello,
I really want start mining, but I know actually it's not profitable and most of the time it's a waste of money.
i don't think it will profitable any more, it is profitable only for old miners who already got their investment returned for mining hardware and  now they are only mining at cost of electricity while new miner has to earn for electricity and hardware investment

There are ways to make money at this without owning anything more then a pc..  Proper spot rentals will earn you money.
 So to the op mining via rental is profitable  today if you know when to rent and wait for the right prices.

So you have to wait for a time when somebody on Westhash (for example) is willing to rent their mining hardware at a rate lower than what they would get mining on a pool? Kinda the opposite of when I renting out the hash on my SP20 at 30-40% over the rate I would get on Kano's pool? An "efficient market" theory would suggest that those kinds of disparities don't exist, or at least not for very long.

If you watch westhash/nicehash they have been under btc price a surprising amount of time.  I have seen -8 percent.   Some people point it there and do not use the code to pick price.   So with this some get a profit from renting there.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
Hello,

legendary
Hello,

Activity: 502
Merit: 500
Hello,
Activity: 826
only if the price skyrockets for some odd reason.

And it can offset the cost for facility and on day to day costs then yes it can profitable.

But, if you look at prices its not been that way for quite some time. The value would rise though once the block keeps getting halved.

No body can really say what will happen  at next halving.   We can guess sure, and hope it goes up.

But it is still a pretty long way away in crypto time.  With that amount of time we just don't know.

Yeah I know  Cheesy

Just hopeful you know, based on a supply of demand concept of limiting supply thats all lol.

But, I really hope the bitcoin will increase based on the rareness like gold. 
legendary
I hope it becomes profitable in the UK again. I'm missing mining Sad.

Keep thinking about plugging an old usb Nanofury in I've got somewhere and solo mining just for the hell of it Cheesy.

Sadly I think the VAT will keep it very hard in future I see.  And add on top of that high electricity in most cases.   

It just is not a ideal situation for mining at all.  I wish that would change, but I don't see it changing with so many obstetricals there for miners.
legendary
I hope it becomes profitable in the UK again. I'm missing mining Sad.

Keep thinking about plugging an old usb Nanofury in I've got somewhere and solo mining just for the hell of it Cheesy.
legendary

And it can offset the cost for facility and on day to day costs then yes it can profitable.

But, if you look at prices its not been that way for quite some time. The value would rise though once the block keeps getting halved.

No body can really say what will happen  at next halving.   We can guess sure, and hope it goes up.

But it is still a pretty long way away in crypto time.  With that amount of time we just don't know.
Activity: 826

legendary
Yeah!
Mining will be profitable again. If bitcoin price goes up or difficuly rate decrese.
And yes! There some miners exist. Because they're no solo miners. Merged mining will always be profitable.

~Rude Boy

I think there are other factors just as big as merged miners.   That is HUGE when talking about getting a block reward.

But as far as ROI a miner needs to worry about cost of machine (including if there is vat, etc).   Also electricity price is huge.  This can make or break a miner.  And being able to get rid of heat.

If the right things are in place you can still ROI.  I do stick with my ROI of 3 months are no longer.  It's a longer time ROI anymore.
Pages:
Jump to: