Pages:
Author

Topic: Does a college degree still matter in the digital age? - page 3. (Read 675 times)

Activity: 136
Merit: 10
I dont think that it matters as much to have a 4 year degree anymore. I think a degree is beneficial if the degree is in a field that has high ROI. I made good money and started my business before having a degree but wanted to finish up so that I could be a good example for my children .

No of course because in college every above 20 years old can studies age doesn't matter in college. So i think is not a problem if you are so old..
Activity: 82
Merit: 0
22 Voters so far! Honestly, this tread I started inspired me to go back to the uni, get my transcripts straight and wrap up that final year.

I realized that even though I got lucky, and never really needed the degree to put up for my family and myself, the reward of getting the degree is different. It's now about self fulfillment and that I want to set an example to my future kids.

Although, that doesn't change the fact that other institutions impose crazy requirements like a bachelor's degree to be a cashier, or to fix beds in a hotel, or to be a server/waiter in wherever. Skill based jobs should be available for everyone IMO
It matters of course. The only thing that even if you can't go to college, there are a lot of good tutorials where you can learn things, and I find that more efficient than college. But of course you do not get a degree from that.
Activity: 575
Merit: 250
As I think in the digital age nowadays the college degree is very important. It is the certificate that you are the educated person. You can apply to the big companies to work. state ... so it is very necessary for everyon
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
skills that are far more valuable in his observations, "When you see people who do not go to school and succeed, it is a wonderful human being. And we have to do all we can to find those people. "

time is changing and along with it, the perceived value of one's skills and attributes as an employee. Do not worry if your qualifications are lower than your colleague's academic qualifications. Your work experience and attitude are more appreciated by the company
completely agree with you...skills and abilities are much more important than the title...maybe earlier people were judged by rank, but now they communicate with the person first and then draw their conclusions whether he can be useful or not
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
skills that are far more valuable in his observations, "When you see people who do not go to school and succeed, it is a wonderful human being. And we have to do all we can to find those people. "

time is changing and along with it, the perceived value of one's skills and attributes as an employee. Do not worry if your qualifications are lower than your colleague's academic qualifications. Your work experience and attitude are more appreciated by the company
Activity: 145
Base on your post education still matter and the more the world is changing into a grand modernization the more education is needed.
Activity: 12
Yes, most especially when you want to land in a stable job.
Most of the companies nowadays, still wants their employee to be at least a college graduate.
Activity: 133
Yes, college degree still matter in the digital age. This still important when you are seeking a job. Having a college degree are on the top priority to be accepted in the job.
Activity: 224
Merit: 1
I think college degree still matters. Yes it is digital age but it doesn't mean technology can make all the job. We have to go to college, have a degree and get a job
Yes, college degree still really matters in the digital age. Education is the way of having a degree and this is the only treasure from our parents that they can give us which cannot be stolen by anybody else. For better job, salary, opportunity and higher position in the future.
Activity: 103
No. It doesnt matter anymore. More important now is your knowledge, skills and talent towards in the digital age. But having a college degree is something to be proud of to your family and love ones.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 501
Yes, it is very important especially if you wanted to achieve something in life and you want to be a professional on what do you want to be. Having a College degree I guess is one of your assets and that you can be proud of. I am not a College degree holder so that I am regretting the days that I waste my time in College before.
Activity: 140
Merit: 2
Yes it is still important. With a college degree, it is assumed that you have a lot of information in your head and you can use this information effectively. Some skills can be obtained without a degree but I think it is still an advantage if you have a college degree.
Activity: 257
Merit: 252
Status symbols will always matter. It's what can separate you from a competitor, since a 3rd party cannot really tell whose more qualified just by looks.
Activity: 140
Merit: 2
A college degree still matters depend on what path you will take in life. If your goal is to become rich, you technically don't need to finish college for that. But is your aim is more into science or engineering or proving to the world that you can solve global warming, you better finish your degree and even pursue a more higher education. Jobs like doctors, geneticists, astronauts, physicist etc, well, you get the point. Plus I wouldn't trust a person to design and lead a group of construction workers to build my building without a professional license. Would you?
Being "educated" does not always entale that you have a degree. Some posts here are not directly answering the question, some just directly says that to college is the only way to be actually educated.
Getting a job is different from making a living. Anyway strong points about needing it still in our generation, and no one is discounting it. I personally now wants to wrap up my degree just for the sake of it to be honest. Because, what's there to lose if I do? none. it's something to gain.

The digital age does not mean that college is becoming useless, I think the better way of seeing it is, people need to move on in the current way of actually getting a degree. you don't need silly subjects that does not makes sense to what you want to achieve.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
E-Commerce For Blockchain Era
A College degree still matter in this digital age... A BIG YES for me! Why? simply because one can widen his horizon and be a better version of himself. In this digital age one can easily access to everything if he is knowledgeable.. and you'll be one if you attain a college degree. You'll be more confident to face different challenges ,learn easily, accept drastic change, and upgrade oneself if you are a graduate. Armed with a degree can do more to improve one skills, self and life as well. In this ever changing world and computer age nowadays one should be a degree holder in order not to be easily fooled by those wicked and greedy people. Lastly, a graduate degree can create change because you can share brilliant ideas and be a blessing to everyone!!!
Activity: 298
Merit: 102
After graduating from school, young people enter the baccalaureate. This is the beginning of higher education. After studying for 2 years, each of them can receive a diploma of incomplete higher education. That is, a diploma is issued that you have mastered half of the first stage of higher professional education, the scope and content of which is indicated in the annex to this diploma.
But on this almost no one stops.
Activity: 779
Merit: 255
i think getting a college degree is good as long as you have the discipline to purse the goals you've set in line with the degree you finished.

let's say you finished a degree in music/conservatory because you love music so much. or you finished a medical degree because you want to help make suffering or disease less severe or better, help find cures for conditions that don't have any.

in the digital age, we'd still need doctors unless some programming like that in the movie travelers become a reality then we can do away with doctors and getting a degree in medicine won't matter anymore.

there are college courses that matter. and there are people who really want to go take that particular course/degree direction and practice it when they finish. there are others, however that don't. but that does not mean that they won't be successful in the future. they can be successful in other areas/fields. i believe that it's not all school stuff that makes one successful. you can be very good with academic stuff but their attitude ain't that great. they could still fail. to cut this short, for me it's aptitude + attitude + effort = success in the digital age  Wink
Activity: 210
For me college doesn't matter in this digital age now .Many finish their college degree but they don't have a job , and some has a job but it don't fit in their college course . And many of us also don't have a college degree but they have a job ,and they are a successful business man.I think having a college degree is just a plus point now .
Pages:
Jump to: