Pages:
Author

Topic: Does a college degree still matter in the digital age? - page 6. (Read 677 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 10
College degree broadens ones knowledge and make you useful in the digital age. Digital age needs new skills and knowledge to operate efficiently and going to college is the sure place to acquire these skills and knowledge.
Activity: 644
Merit: 259
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
When it comes to the IT industry, more and more employers are no longer seeking a college degree for employment, they are rather seeking IT certifications like the CCNA, CCNP and other certifications in the relevant fields before a person will be able to get a job nowadays. Research the field that you want to work at and see whether it's necessary to get a degree for it.
Activity: 98
Merit: 0
i agree that why do we still need degree even if there is a digital age that will begin. we must need to learn more about technology and more on technology. because this is where the world become, become digital and modernize.
Activity: 82
Yes because you can get a better job in the future .

Yup not unless you’d like to give jobs instead getting one.. like Steve Jobs who dropped in a uni, attended classes that only mattered to him and had himself educated from there. Then that’s when he got to hire folks with doctoral degrees.

But not everyone is destined to do the same, a degree can always be a safety net! So that the next steve jobs gets to hire us
Activity: 90
Coming from a European background, I very well understand that university education is a bit of a fetish here. At the same time, I do notice that it opens up doors. Although you finish with a degree, there is much slack you need to pull up in comparison to people who have been really working in the field those 5 years youve spent reading old books and getting drunk for your parents' money. But the horizons which open up during those years of study can mature and ripen into something which people without a university experience might not be able to achieve. It opens up potential, but you need to work that much harder to actually fulfill it. You dfream bigger, but also gain the skills to sift through those dreams and make the worthwile ones a reality.
Activity: 322
Merit: 107
College degree does not matter if the person who graduated is not hard working.There are so many successful person who are have no title in college degree but despite of their being hardworking they achieve their goals in life.Diploma is just a paper we present when were finding a job but what is the importance of it of that person is lazy and no goals in life.
Activity: 443
Merit: 250
I voted YES. And I'm sure that it's right. Because without degree anybody can tell anything, but with degree, it is proven by an institution that the person does have the needed skills.
Activity: 52
Degree matters only because jobs have a degree as requirement and you don't even have to bother applying for those jobs without diploma even though you might be skilled in that particular job. You can't show your skill and knowledge because you will never even get called for the job interview if you don't fit the requirement of having a degree.
It's dumb, but they're still relevant. Education system is not catching up to the developments of technology and dynamics of modern world. You could learn and become great in any job if you started specializing at 15-16 yrs old and become a master at it by the time you're 25, instead of wasting time learning academic nonsense which in inapplicable for anything real related to work.
Activity: 91
Yes because you can get a better job in the future .
Activity: 816
Merit: 133
To be honest, College degree is a title in which it considers by other people as an achievement. Though it is still a leverage nowadays but some employers do recognize people who don't have a degree but he/she has drive and the passion that can contribute or will have an positive impact to the business or company.

There are a lot successful people today who didn't finish college or a dropout. But that doesn't stop them to move forward and be successful.
Activity: 37
I think college degree still matters. Yes it is digital age but it doesn't mean technology can make all the job. We have to go to college, have a degree and get a job

Menurut saya gelar perguruan tinggi itu perlu, karena kebanyakan perusahaan merekrut karyawannya yang mempunyai pendidikan di atas rata-tara
Activity: 935
Merit: 105
Collage degree are becoming more and more useless where employers are taking their own series of entrances to get what they are looking for.
It's all about knowledge and skill if you are going on your own or below some employers.
College degree matters. Even though we can earn money without degree, having a degree is better than nothing. Nobody can't steal your education. Many things you can learn in school not only in academics but attitude and socializing as well.

Very vey true, and one thing that I can’t discount from spending 3 years in the uni was building the right connections. I think what we should do as a generation is to encourage the young to follow the fields they are passionate about. A lot just goes through college for the sake of it, not really knowing what they want to do for the rest of their prime years. What’s hard is that college education was never accesible to majority of the highschool graduates without incurring debt. That’s why seeing a push for free college education in 2017 is a very nice thing to start at.
The more I think about it, probably the reason why I don’t see a college degree giving substantial matter in my field is that I work in tech, and the resources we have online is just crazy huge. That’s why you’d see 10-12 year olds learning coding in python, java, reactJS and many popular languages.. and that teenagers who are still in highschool are getting a crack at an internship in big tech companies.

But this does not discoubt the importance of a college degree, all there is are employers who are crazy enough to impose such high requirements for a job that can be done by anobody with proper training and experience.
Activity: 378
Merit: 16
College degree matters. Even though we can earn money without degree, having a degree is better than nothing. Nobody can't steal your education. Many things you can learn in school not only in academics but attitude and socializing as well.
Activity: 189
Merit: 10
in my country, people still respect the one who have a degree or more. for example, someone need a specific degree to get a job.
and someone who had degree will have a better salary and encouragement rather than who doesnt have..
Books Still Matter in a Digital Age. Even in the age of electronic readers, users still download and access whole books for pleasure and erudition. If society were to scrap.Second, it's simply not true that the current college generation does not read books; they read books when that assignment works for them.

Are you saying that people who did not go through the formal college education, cannot and would not read books for that matter?

Bein educated and merely doing assignments are two different things— only an opinion
Activity: 14
In this respect, press freedoms and levels of literacy will, likewise, shape in important ways the context for reforms. Whether the country has an active civil society, with a culture of participation could be an important ingredient supporting various strategies aimed at reducing corruption.
Activity: 14
Books Still Matter in a Digital Age. Even in the age of electronic readers, users still download and access whole books for pleasure and erudition. If society were to scrap.Second, it's simply not true that the current college generation does not read books; they read books when that assignment works for them.
I think college degree still matters. Yes it is digital age but it doesn't mean technology can make all the job. We have to go to college, have a degree and get a job

Well my take is it depends. It depends on a few things. 1. What kind of jobs are we talking about here? 2. Can the skillset for the job be trained in a span of 3 months compared to 4 years of education 3. What kind of educational system does a country offer?

In my place its crazy that a cashier entales a degree for you to be good or even qualify to be one. I dont have anything againts cashiers, I respect any position, but I dont think you should have a college degree to qualify for it (the ROI does not make any sense to me)because the skillset required can be easily acquired.
Pages:
Jump to: