Pages:
Author

Topic: Does a college degree still matter in the digital age? - page 7. (Read 675 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 100
i agree that why do we still need degree even if there is a digital age that will begin. we must need to learn more about technology and more on technology. because this is where the world become, become digital and modernize.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
I think college degree still matters. Yes it is digital age but it doesn't mean technology can make all the job. We have to go to college, have a degree and get a job
Activity: 82
Merit: 0
I dont think that it matters as much to have a 4 year degree anymore. I think a degree is beneficial if the degree is in a field that has high ROI. I made good money and started my business before having a degree but wanted to finish up so that I could be a good example for my children .

This is such great input. I do plan on wrapping up my education, but this time, it would be for a field that i fell in love with. When I was young and was still in the Uni, I really did not like the course I was going for (it’s a cultural thing for parents to choose for yah) but now I finally know what I want to do and the main reason why I want to go back and wrap up a degree is to earn more and get an increase in the salary.

But I got so sad about that job posting outside, there are a lot of people who can’t afford college education and enda up with so many debts just to be in a college or university, companies should think about this sort of thing and do something like an intership training module or what not for those they deem not qualified, atleast people who are really skilled but was not given the chance because of lack of the piece of paper, would have a fighting chance.  
Activity: 53
I dont think that it matters as much to have a 4 year degree anymore. I think a degree is beneficial if the degree is in a field that has high ROI. I made good money and started my business before having a degree but wanted to finish up so that I could be a good example for my children .
Activity: 82
VOTE in the Poll!

Like many people I’m a college drop-out and the current consensus for people who does not have a degree is not that great compared to those who has at least a Bachelor’s diploma.

When people asks me how would I be able to compete with those graduates my answer is, a lot of the things that I do in my current job can be learned through an 8 hour online course in Udemy or a simple search in google.

However, I was passing by a big drugstore chain in my place and I saw the job posting outside and it says:

“WANTED: Cashier
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in any field”

That made me wonder, why does a degree matter for that position?

I am a Software Development Quality Assurance Engineer and I was very lucky that my employer trusted the skills I bring in, because if to take and count money requires the fancy diploma, then I won’t survive getting a job at least not for now.

My thoughts are, if it were my doctor, Im pretty sure I wouldn’t want someone who would tell me that “Well I googled it and I think you have cancer” but other positions in a company, or the mahor industries as well, can easily be learned through training and self education.

What are your thoughts folks? Share and reply. Let’s have a meaningful exchange!
Pages:
Jump to: