Pages:
Author

Topic: DPR subpoena - page 3. (Read 11704 times)

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
December 06, 2014, 02:03:41 PM
I don't have to appear personally in court. It briefly mentions that in the subpoena.

This is very shady theymos, I was under the assumption there's no logs. Not Google type monitoring. This isn't Facebook. Do you store our PMs too?

Why would you assume that? I've never implied that. I often say that I can see deleted/edited posts. For example:

If both sender and recipient of a PM deletes it, then it's deleted from the database completely and I can't access it except through the daily database backups. (This is a massive pain, so don't expect me to do it for you...)

Deleted/edited posts are always saved forever.

PMs can end up in the daily database backups. You should assume that backups are saved forever, though in practice this is not actually the case. Encrypt sensitive PMs.

Logged IPs are logged forever, but IPs are only logged in certain circumstances (such as posting). Just logging in doesn't result in your IP being permanently logged.

I am willing to cooperate with police on real scams. Whenever someone asks me to release a scammer's IP, I tell them to have police email me from an official police address. I have received police requests a handful of times. Mostly the cases were real scams and I gave the police the requested info. In some cases I've rejected their requests. For example, I refused to give information to some foreign version of the SEC because securities laws are unjust. Of course, you should not trust that I will act in your best interest. If you want to be anonymous, then you must use Tor (or whatever).
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024
December 06, 2014, 11:56:30 AM

Thanks for your openness and transparency, really appreciated!

Edit:

GREETINGS:
WE COMMAND YOU ...

Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
December 06, 2014, 10:00:05 AM
You might be surprised to learn that this is the first subpoena I've received for the forum.
I actually am. I'd imagine you've already worked with LEOs from a few different countries pertaining to this forum by now (I have). Kinda weird that 5 years in, and you finally get your first subpoena.

I'm glad you were open about it. It shows transparency. Imagine if a few months down the road someone with PACER noticed your name on a docket, and started posting it all over the forum causing a bunch of unnecessary hype. You nipped it in the butt quickly.
Activity: 202
Merit: 100
December 06, 2014, 09:38:46 AM
@theymos, http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/responding-subpoenas
I hope you will at least request a compensation for your plane ticket. That would be so unjust having to pay one's return ticket from Hawaii to New York.
Activity: 322
DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO
December 06, 2014, 08:02:49 AM
So theymos, are you archiving PMs?

Yes, including ones deleted by both parties.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
December 06, 2014, 07:59:25 AM
This is very shady theymos, I was under the assumption there's no logs. Not Google type monitoring. This isn't Facebook. Do you store our PMs too?

I hope he stores everything.

A lot of commerce is done through this forum.  A lot of scams too.   Undecided
Well that would be very damaging. The part about logs is my concern as well. You do not realize the extend of the information (personal!) that go through PMs. If some government agency would get a hold on that, don't be surprised if some members start missing.
Luckily I've used PGP when I needed to.

So theymos, are you archiving PMs?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
December 06, 2014, 07:37:28 AM
I think Blazr is right, if the defence is not challening the post then no point wasting the forums money on it. I didn't see it mentioned that any was going to be spent anyway.
Activity: 322
DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO
December 06, 2014, 07:33:02 AM

PMs are stored and certain words (such as certain words that relate to theymos) automatically alert him.
That is just one of the nuggets of his code 'patches' to SMF.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
December 06, 2014, 06:24:20 AM
This is not very surprising/interesting, but I thought I'd mention that I received a subpoena for information related to Ross Ulbricht's alleged forum account altoid. I mostly just compiled some publicly-available information. The only non-public data I had to include were some deleted posts in the heroin store topic that were not written by DPR and probably won't be useful in the case.

You might be surprised to learn that this is the first subpoena I've received for the forum.

This is amazing hypocrisy. While investors were scammed all year long with scam after scam (Altcoins were turning scam >2 weekly in August, eg USBCoin) there was not a single fucking peep from anyone in the manner where it would be proactive in stopping that plague. The Altcoin scams were self-moderated and the only change was mining pool advertising. This is the same forum where a thread saying "I'm starting a Ponzi scheme, who's interested in getting on board?" doesn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid (let alone raise a mouse finger to lock/hide/delete the post).

But now the FBI sends you a letter, and you're suddenly able to be the good guy being proactive? If not before why now? Antruk will answer that...
Quote from: Antruk
I'd say it sets a good precedent.  It's nice to know when justice is happening, even if we don't know why in this case.
Even though this is a private forum, it still has to obey laws.  I find that comforting.

Yep, hit the nail on the head. It does set a good precedent. A precedent where the admin and mods have clearly got the ability to stem the flow of bad actors but choose not to. Unless of course it plays into their favor; if the price of Bitcoin is affected or there's brownie points that need winning, well, that libertarian "right to free speech, privacy (and, oh, freedom) can be put aside to set good precedent. It makes my fucking skin crawl.

Why am I defending this scum, this drug kingpin? Because he's neither. Yet. (And no, I don't even drink or do weed)
DPR has not been proven to be Ross Ulbricht. He is innocent until proven guilty.\
The defence team has no chance; the FBI will do all it takes to convict Ross and do so with extreme prejudice. You're helping the FBI on what (in their words) "an open and shut case".

Do the right thing and offer every and any assistance to Ross' legal team.
Perhaps the good precedent to set can be that there's some type of selflessness at some stage.

If LE contact theymos about the altcoins he'll likely give them the info they request. Maybe he already has. If you were scammed report it to the police and tell them to ask theymos for any releveant information he has on the scammers. The police probably won't do shit but if they do theymos will probably help them if its obvious a scam took place. It's possible theymos has nothing useful though.

The FBI have only asked theymos for public posts, I don't think there is much point wasting the forums money fighting this, even if the forum wins (which it won't) it likely won't stop the FBI from using the posts as evidence seeing as they are public anyway. The posts were in the old court documents already and weren't challenged in anyway by Ross' defense team.
legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
December 06, 2014, 06:20:19 AM
December 06, 2014, 06:15:06 AM

Yah but that's never been used. We've gone along without it unless theymos has released data before on scams? Where's the neobee logs? Only theymos and now the fbi ever saw anything.

He keeps PM's too of course. Theymos used to release data public, but now he only releases it to law enforcement agencies who make reasonable requests and that it is obvious to him the person is doing something illegal and immoral.

This is just the first subpoena hes received, which means he is required by law to provide the requested data should he possess it or he could risk prosecution. Any other time he has helped LE it has been a friendly request from them that he agreed with.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
December 06, 2014, 06:05:58 AM

Yah but that's never been used. We've gone along without it unless theymos has released data before on scams? Where's the neobee logs? Only theymos and now the fbi ever saw anything.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
December 06, 2014, 06:04:14 AM

A lot of commerce is done through this forum.  A lot of scams too.   Undecided
legendary
December 06, 2014, 06:00:48 AM
Activity: 233
December 06, 2014, 05:54:27 AM
This is not very surprising/interesting, but I thought I'd mention that I received a subpoena for information related to Ross Ulbricht's alleged forum account altoid. I mostly just compiled some publicly-available information. The only non-public data I had to include were some deleted posts in the heroin store topic that were not written by DPR and probably won't be useful in the case.

This is amazing hypocrisy. While investors were scammed all year long with scam after scam (Altcoins were turning scam >2 weekly in August, eg USBCoin) there was not a single fucking peep from anyone in the manner where it would be proactive in stopping that plague. The Altcoin scams were self-moderated and the only change was mining pool advertising. This is the same forum where a thread saying "I'm starting a Ponzi scheme, who's interested in getting on board?" doesn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid (let alone raise a mouse finger to lock/hide/delete the post).

But now the FBI sends you a letter, and you're suddenly able to be the good guy being proactive? If not before why now? Antruk will answer that...
Quote from: Antruk
I'd say it sets a good precedent.  It's nice to know when justice is happening, even if we don't know why in this case.
Even though this is a private forum, it still has to obey laws.  I find that comforting.

Yep, hit the nail on the head. It does set a good precedent. A precedent where the admin and mods have clearly got the ability to stem the flow of bad actors but choose not to. Unless of course it plays into their favor; if the price of Bitcoin is affected or there's brownie points that need winning, well, that libertarian "right to free speech, privacy (and, oh, freedom) can be put aside to set good precedent. It makes my fucking skin crawl.

Why am I defending this scum, this drug kingpin? Because he's neither. Yet. (And no, I don't even drink or do weed)
DPR has not been proven to be Ross Ulbricht. He is innocent until proven guilty.\
The defence team has no chance; the FBI will do all it takes to convict Ross and do so with extreme prejudice. You're helping the FBI on what (in their words) "an open and shut case".

Do the right thing and offer every and any assistance to Ross' legal team.
Perhaps the good precedent to set can be that there's some type of selflessness at some stage.

legendary
December 06, 2014, 05:48:55 AM
Why are you archiving posts for? Are you keeping ip logs too? This is the concerning part.

I'm guessing he archives deleted posts for things like scam accusations. Most server admins live by the motto of always have 1 copy of a file more than you think you need, so if you think you need 1 copy of something you really need 2, if you think you need 2 copies of something you need 3, and if you think you need 0 copies you need 1. Never delete anything.

And yes he keeps IP logs. Why wouldn't he?

I guess. I'm going to have to think about abandoning my account and going dark.
December 06, 2014, 05:45:11 AM
Why are you archiving posts for? Are you keeping ip logs too? This is the concerning part.

I'm guessing he archives deleted posts for things like scam accusations. Most server admins live by the motto of always have 1 copy of a file more than you think you need, so if you think you need 1 copy of something you really need 2, if you think you need 2 copies of something you need 3, and if you think you need 0 copies you need 1. Never delete anything.

And yes he keeps IP logs. Why wouldn't he?
legendary
December 06, 2014, 05:37:03 AM
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
December 05, 2014, 09:44:24 PM
If you get a subpoena by email, that is borderline official, and it means nothing you have is secret and needs to be hidden from public. Please please please tell me you replied to it with a string of foul language. They are casting a gigantic net to see who falls for it. In fact are you sure it isn't simply a 'summons' you can ignore just as easily?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
December 05, 2014, 05:16:15 AM
I got this PM, I forget what I posted Cheesy Interesting nevertheless.

Hello. At some point or another you posted something to the topic A Heroin Store and then your post was deleted, maybe by you or maybe by a moderator. I'm writing just to let you know that I was forced to release your deleted post(s) due to a subpoena by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York related to a case against Ross Ulbricht (the alleged operator of the first Silk Road). Unless you have some connection to Ross Ulbricht, I do not believe that you are under investigation at this time. However, I believe that your post will become part of public record, so you may be at risk if your post contained anything illegal or suspicious. If you don't remember what your post contained, I can provide you with a copy.

I regret that this was necessary. Hopefully it doesn't cause you any trouble.

My guess is this is what you posted:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57305
Looks like it was your first ever post, great start!

I would be interested to know if everyone who posted in that thread got this PM, if so then many are getting them including Gavin Andresen and even the famous laszlo.
Pages:
Jump to: