Pages:
Author

Topic: DPR subpoena - page 5. (Read 11704 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
December 03, 2014, 01:22:26 AM
Thank you for going public with this, if you ever receive a subpoena for information relating to my post on this forum i would want to know about it.  Tongue
My guess is there probably looking for information on btc trades he may have done so they can get him on more back taxes, give hem more power to sell every coin he has.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
December 03, 2014, 01:15:52 AM
The most fascinating part of this post is that this is the first time that BitcoinTalk has ever been subpoenaed.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
December 03, 2014, 01:02:27 AM
And just why the hell are you disclosing something of this nature?  Not that I condone or know what DPR did, but working in close proximity to lawyers for most of the day, I have a lay understanding that you probably shouldn't be openly disclosing this type of thing to anyone, let alone on the internet.

No one said that this was confidential. Why should it be? Everyone knows that Ulbricht is facing criminal charges, and his (alleged) altoid account and postings were mentioned in the initial FBI report.

It's interesting to note that altoid's most damning posts only exist as quotes. He deleted the posts before I changed the forum settings to archive all deleted posts. So I don't think that this evidence is very strong, though I'm sure that this is far from the only piece of evidence that will be presented against Ulbricht.

What was the method of receiving the subpoena btw?

Email. I suppose I could have demanded a hardcopy, fought about the jurisdiction, etc., but this wouldn't have done anyone any good.
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
December 03, 2014, 12:45:06 AM
And just why the hell are you disclosing something of this nature?  Not that I condone or know what DPR did, but working in close proximity to lawyers for most of the day, I have a lay understanding that you probably shouldn't be openly disclosing this type of thing to anyone, let alone on the internet.
Becaus he can.  There was no gag order I assume...

What was the method of receiving the subpoena btw?
Activity: 908
Merit: 657
December 03, 2014, 12:38:49 AM
Was the allegation of him attempting to hire a hitman ever substantiated?

I would assume so, considering you gave him negative rep for it.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
December 03, 2014, 12:23:51 AM
Was the allegation of him attempting to hire a hitman ever substantiated?
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
December 02, 2014, 11:22:49 PM

I'd say it sets a good precedent.  It's nice to know when justice is happening, even if we don't know why in this case.

Even though this is a private forum, it still has to obey laws.  I find that comforting.
Activity: 379
Merit: 100
December 02, 2014, 11:20:09 PM
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
December 02, 2014, 10:24:50 PM
This is not very surprising/interesting, but I thought I'd mention that I received a subpoena for information related to Ross Ulbricht's alleged forum account altoid. I mostly just compiled some publicly-available information. The only non-public data I had to include were some deleted posts in the heroin store topic that were not written by DPR and probably won't be useful in the case.

You might be surprised to learn that this is the first subpoena I've received for the forum.
Pages:
Jump to: