Pages:
Author

Topic: Dwolla can no longer process deposits or withdrawals to MtGox - page 4. (Read 13014 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
not that it will happen this time, but i really wish
that gox goes away...

I'll be fine with that as long as CampBX (or someone in the US) continues making it easy (i.e. working with Dwolla) to get my fiat out of the exchange.

Maybe we need more Dwolla-type things in the US?
Yeah, we need more Ashton Kutchers in the world.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 960
Merit: 1028
Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.
Mt. Gox's big advantage, other than liquidity, has been that moving money in and out only costs 25c (rather than the $25 of a bankwire).

Given this development, decentralized exchange between BTC and national currency is becoming more important than ever. I have to rethink my strategy too.

I'll be fine with that as long as CampBX (or someone in the US) continues making it easy (i.e. working with Dwolla) to get my fiat out of the exchange.
CampBX supports Dwolla? That's good to hear, at least.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
that gox goes away...

Maybe we need more Dwolla-type things in the US?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
The first is by definition not flawed.
that gox goes away...
Department of Homeland Security is about money laundering/terrorism financing/drug trafficking..
Call me alarmist but, once the big players and Vc's read the charges against gox, realizing that the largest btc exchanger which hold all their millions, is now in jeopardy with a US govt agency,i'll let you imagine the continuing slipping of price in the coming days/hours as this bad news is fully digested..

Another poster brought this up, but we may see a large rally here. All those with fiat in gox should convert to BTC and get them to a safe wallet. This would cause a rise (maybe temporary, but still).

LOL, the only thing keeping the price up right now is the swing traders.

Once the swings get too small this could turn very ugly very quickly.

Dwolla isn't used by people who transfer huge amounts of money so it's largely irrelevant. Also anyone can send a wire / SWIFT payment to or from their bank account, it just costs a bit more.

"a bit" = 10x more... HUGE difference for the small-time likes of me.
I'm moving my coins over to CampBX; there's a referral link in my sig if you want 10% off there.
Activity: 434
One country evil empire investigating one account for one exchange.  That doesn't really sound like the end of the bitworld.

FTFY.  Wink
KFR
Activity: 560
Per ardua ad luna
One country investigating one account for one exchange.  That doesn't really sound like the end of the bitworld.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
If they were going after the bitcoin market as a whole, they would target every exchange at once. There must be something specific to the court order against Mt Gox, not bitcoin as a whole.

I think you have too much faith in the US Gov... They are slow lumbering beasts with stuff like this.  If it is an attack, then we will probably see a couple of things like this occur in the year not a whole sale crack down.
legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068
Department of Homeland Security is about money laundering/terrorism financing/drug trafficking..
Call me alarmist but, once the big players and Vc's read the charges against gox, realizing that the largest btc exchanger which hold all their millions, is now in jeopardy with a US govt agency,i'll let you imagine the continuing slipping of price in the coming days/hours as this bad news is fully digested..

Another poster brought this up, but we may see a large rally here. All those with fiat in gox should convert to BTC and get them to a safe wallet. This would cause a rise (maybe temporary, but still).

LOL, the only thing keeping the price up right now is the swing traders.

Once the swings get too small this could turn very ugly very quickly.

Dwolla isn't used by people who transfer huge amounts of money so it's largely irrelevant. Also anyone can send a wire / SWIFT payment to or from their bank account, it just costs a bit more.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Any speculation as to the DHS motion for a court order? Why only Mt Gox and not CampBX?

Because MtGox trades 60% of the world market.

If they were going after the bitcoin market as a whole, they would target every exchange at once. There must be something specific to the court order against Mt Gox, not bitcoin as a whole.
My initial reaction is a very large sinking feeling in my stomach...
reading through thread now ...
 Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Is this stabilization we are seeing at the moment people buying BTC before they transfer them out of Gox? DHS seizing GOX accounts would make me run for the hills. I am expecting a plunge any moment.
Activity: 476
The first is by definition not flawed.
So 14/15 of May will be the day when the USA set themself up for failure again....
Like when they went to Afganistan to destroy their economy.
The day they think they have any real control over bitcoin is when they destroy
the tiny bit that is left of their international credibility.

Activity: 462
Merit: 101
A Top Web 3 Gaming Layer2 Provider
Any speculation as to the DHS motion for a court order? Why only Mt Gox and not CampBX?

Because MtGox trades 60% of the world market.
My initial reaction is a very large sinking feeling in my stomach...
reading through thread now ...
 Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Activity: 662
Merit: 545

Why do you think that?  Maybe the uninformed will do this - but this is only effecting Gox's US based dwolla account.
Activity: 839
Merit: 608

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
Activity: 350
Wow guys. This is big news.

The start of a US led attack on Bitcoin is beginning.

How ironic that it begins in the USA, land of the free. It seems in this 21st century, USA is no longer land of the free. It's land of the heavily indebted ,  where government sponsored elitist cronies dictate everything in their own interest at the expense of the people at the bottom. I only hope this is not the beginning of increasing online state censorship. The internet is truly the one remaining outlet that can provide total freedom from government interference to the average citizen. Perhaps ,then, in some years US gov't will be shipping that statue of liberty back to Europe.

Land of the free...

Why do you think it's an attack on bitcoin?  It's only an attack on US participation in bitcoin ... ie an attack on itself.

Gambling is banned in the US but thrives in the UK and asia ... bitcoin is global and eventually will be accepted ubiquitously 

Some nations will just be faster to see the benefits than others ... it's not an attack on bitcoin unless every nation does it ... and some will want to be a crypto super power im sure I can think of 1 or 2 ...

I know that I am not a fan of Homeland Security.  On the last vacation I literally watched them confiscate bottles of Vodka and other beverages from passengers and then pocket them for themselves.  Hmmm.  Great security.  SO thankful that they are helping us. Oh, and I really don't want them patting down my pre-teen daughters at the airport either. This might have a reverse reaction and make more people angry and even more people want to invest in BTC.  I have been saying that I am not necessarily into BTC for ideological reasons but this is pushing me towards that very quickly!  I do not feel "free" here in the US anymore. Sad  Our freedoms are being snatched from us daily.  With BTC maybe there is some hope of having some still.  We will see. . .

Sure but not everyone is bad ... let's try and understand the case.  Never underestimate people's willingness to do the right thing when given a chance.  If people could just understand the benefits to society or to a nation, of bitcoin without fearing it, we could solve soooo many problems.  Let's try and be good educators even if we dont like some actions ...
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
Pages:
Jump to: