Pages:
Author

Topic: Dwolla can no longer process deposits or withdrawals to MtGox - page 7. (Read 13014 times)

legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
This maybe slightly off-topic but is it really surprising that the DHS may be concerned regarding money flows through bitcoin?

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty the other day where the CIA tracked down an al-quaida suspect because he transferred 5000$ to another al-quaida member's bank account. Not the smartest move obviously.
Reminded me of bitcoin as it's the perfect tool for almost any illegal activity one can think of.  

If I was responsible for tracking down terrorists and tracking down their donators, bitcoin would piss me off big time.

(btw Zero Dark Thirty is a pretty good movie)

I thought it should have won best picture. Argo was great, but ZDT had more gravity.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
This maybe slightly off-topic but is it really surprising that the DHS may be concerned regarding money flows through bitcoin?

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty the other day where the CIA tracked down an al-quaida suspect because he transferred 5000$ to another al-quaida member's bank account. Not the smartest move obviously.
Reminded me of bitcoin as it's the perfect tool for almost any illegal activity one can think of.  

If I was responsible for tracking down terrorists and tracking down their donators, bitcoin would piss me off big time.

(btw Zero Dark Thirty is a pretty good movie)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Any confirmation that this is actually true? I can't find any yet.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
My guess is that DHS has claimed it's an AML issue because 'errorism.

it's a free country after all, right?  Grin
Activity: 662
Merit: 545

i've had a long time Dwolla acct and i've not received any email...
People only got it because they had an outstanding transaction it seems. Do you have one?

I think they are also sending out to people who have recently withdrawn/sent money between Dwolla and Gox within the last 24 hours as well.
Activity: 546
Looks like it already bounced back up. I bought back in at 113. Oh well, net 6.5 coins is pretty good for no work.

There might be a slow decline as the rest of the bitcoin community learns of the Dwolla news. But I don't have the patience for that.

Seems like there are too many interested in not letting the price drop too much right now anyways.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Interestingly, the price is rebounding right back up.  I wasn't expecting that at all.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

People only got it because they had an outstanding transaction it seems. Do you have one?

not outstanding.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Good news is that if you managed to sell on word of this news at 116+ like I did, you'll be able to buy back in some cheap coins soon.

If you haven't sold yet, sell now!

Bitcoins will be on sale, probably just temporarily though.
I could have sold at $118.... if my yubikey was with me.  Sad
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Activity: 342
How annoying. In the short term this is bad news, but looking ahead I think this is just one more reminder why it's better to have bitcoins than USD. The government can't show up out of nowhere and, in the name of "homeland security," randomly block you from sending your bitcoins where you want to send them. Yet they barely have to lift a finger to block where your USD goes.
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
Mutum Sigillum is the name of Mt Gox's Dwolla account.
Really? Then what is this?       http://www.mutumsigillum.com/

IIRC they are Gox's US-based payment processor. Search the forum.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
The end is near!!
Activity: 1036
Merit: 524
This is very bad.

I used Dwolla exclusive for getting money in and out of MtGox. They were great and cheap as others have said before.  

We need a US-based exchange to open up QUICKLY. This is not good news for bitcoins. It's only becoming harder to acquire bitcoins now.
Campbx bro
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
Good news is that if you managed to sell on word of this news at 116+ like I did, you'll be able to buy back in some cheap coins soon.

Yeah huge sell off now. 40k coins and counting.

Activity: 280
Oh well, just a small bump. Things like this have to happen to get people out of gox.

Good chance to buy while millions of dollars are being invested in bitcoin businesses, including upcoming exchanges  Smiley
Activity: 520
This is negative news for the next 24 hours. Price already falling. Bye bye brief time of price stability. Sad
Activity: 518
Only temporarily.  In the long run it'll be best.  If Gox doesn't implode now, they surely will later at an even worse moment.  This whole thing is most likely due to Gox's own incompetence and failure to act within their own self-interest and to get an effin' clue.
Yeah!  So, let's start listing more competent exchanges.  We can start the list with... Eh..?  You start!

This time it is some bureucrat in a remote fu**ed up country doing his job.  Protect the banks.

I'd rather go through a short period with no exchanges and let one rise than to keep bouncin' along with the sack of puss that is Gox.
Activity: 839
Merit: 608

Yeah huge sell off now. 40k coins and counting.
Pages:
Jump to: