Pages:
Author

Topic: eBay DELETED my auction for Avalon Miners because I accept Bitcoin! - page 3. (Read 3589 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Hello World!!!
Ebay owns paypal and that says it all.

Conventional payment processors are deeply terrified by the phenomenal popularity and usability of Bitcoin.

Activity: 112
ebay and paypal froze my accounts because i sold bitcoins.

My acount never got frozed I guess I was lucky but I have since stoped
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Same issues with Amazon as well, they're not tolerant towards Bitcoin. Just read the terms and conditions for once, you'll see why
Activity: 126
Merit: 101
Be Here Now
Plan B: someone creates bbay!
sgk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
!! HODL !!
ebay and paypal froze my accounts because i sold bitcoins.

That has happened to a lot of people in past. They're OK if you are selling mining equipments and accessories, but you can't sell Bitcoins.
And you have to use one of their specified payment methods.
Activity: 70
When eBay was just starting, the reason why I joined them is because they would accept transactions in cash, or check, or credit card... Seems things have changed now. If I were looking for a bidding website today I would not join eBay, based on the very reason why I joined them back when.

All those forms of payment are still acceptable, it is a matter of merchant choice.
Some merchants are paypal only, others will accept cash/checks via mail.

I personally would never accept snail mail payments.
I would never accept a check either.
I would accept a large bag of pennies before I would accept a check.
Why people keep using them is beyond me.

Why people would send a stranger a check is beyond me (or use them at all for that matter)... giving them your routing number and account number.... not smart in the 21st century.
Activity: 392
When eBay was just starting, the reason why I joined them is because they would accept transactions in cash, or check, or credit card... Seems things have changed now. If I were looking for a bidding website today I would not join eBay, based on the very reason why I joined them back when.

All those forms of payment are still acceptable, it is a matter of merchant choice.
Some merchants are paypal only, others will accept cash/checks via mail.

I personally would never accept snail mail payments.
I would never accept a check either.
I would accept a large bag of pennies before I would accept a check.
Why people keep using them is beyond me.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
The real reason why they hate bitcoin is probably because you won't get dinged with the hefty Paypal fees. They even fee you for shipping costs!!

Activity: 112
ToS violation, cry me a river.

Guys, I'm not disputing that eBay doesn't allow Bitcoins, or that I was caught trying to accept them for payment. Guilty as charged. You got me.

My argument is simply the anticompetitive nature of the PayPal regime and how implementing a simple integrated bitcoin escrow service (with an escrow fee) would not only be beneficial to the bitcoin ecosystem, but it would be lucrative for the eBay empire as well. An integrated bitcoin escrow service woven into the eBay auction payment process could be accomplished with little effort, and the payments would be just as secure as any online escrow service, if not more so. It would remove the need for trust. Seller could provide tracking number to prove package was sent, buyer can prove they paid the escrow.

It's a free market.  Check into using cryptothrift.com, and let ebay and paypal die.

Activity: 271
OH NO A COMPANY DID SOMETHING I DIDN'T LIKE THAT THEY ARE TOTALLY WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS TO DO! DAMN YOU REGULATIONS!
Activity: 470
Guys, I'm not disputing that eBay doesn't allow Bitcoins, or that I was caught trying to accept them for payment. Guilty as charged. You got me.

My argument is simply the anticompetitive nature of the PayPal regime and how implementing a simple integrated bitcoin escrow service (with an escrow fee) would not only be beneficial to the bitcoin ecosystem, but it would be lucrative for the eBay empire as well. An integrated bitcoin escrow service woven into the eBay auction payment process could be accomplished with little effort, and the payments would be just as secure as any online escrow service, if not more so. It would remove the need for trust. Seller could provide tracking number to prove package was sent, buyer can prove they paid the escrow.

eBay's/PayPal's policies seem NARROW MINDED and anti-competitive, and everyone defending eBay's ToS fails to see the bigger picture that can come for eBay if they embraced this technology, not fought against it.

It is thinking like this that holds down widespread adoption.

Look, if you guys are all fine with big corporate conglomerates limiting consumer freedom of choice, de-neutralitizing your Internet, forcing you into antiquated pigeoned-holed financial fee-laiden commerce, then I'm sure you'd all be happy with living in a place like Communist China.

For the rest of us, there is BITCOIN.
The costs associated with accepting bitcoin in escrow would, at this time, most likely be greater then the benefit. I have doubts that it could set it up with "little effort" for a large company like eBay.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0

eBay's/PayPal's policies seem NARROW MINDED and anti-competitive, and everyone defending eBay's ToS fails to see the bigger picture that can come for eBay if they embraced this technology, not fought against it.

It is thinking like this that holds down widespread adoption.

Look, if you guys are all fine with big corporate conglomerates limiting consumer freedom of choice, de-neutralitizing your Internet, forcing you into antiquated pigeoned-holed financial fee-laiden commerce, then I'm sure you'd all be happy with living in a place like Communist China.

For the rest of us, there is BITCOIN.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 503
Someone is sitting in the shade today...
eBay DELETED my auction for Avalon Miners because I accept Bitcoin!

I only mentioned in the auction description that I accept bitcoins and they pulled my auction citing a "violation of payment policies."  They claimed that buyers and sellers "aren't protected" because transactions can't be proven.

I beg to differ! The blockchain is public proof hat a transaction occurred, and the buyer (or seller) can easily prove they own the address. In the event of a dispute, if eBay would just require sellers to post their receive address, a buyer can prove they own the address that sent funds to it.

I think this policy is simply an anticompetitive strong-arm approach to further secure PayPal's dominance in the payment processing industry.

If anyone is curious, the auction in question is here (I had to re-list it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2-AVALON-ASIC-Bitcoin-Miners-160-GH-s-Mining-Machines-NO-RESERVE-/111315935934

I mentioned in the revised auction description to contact me with questions about "alternate payment methods." Do you think they'll pull my auction for that too?

consider yourself lucky they didnt ban your account outright.
Activity: 70
sgk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
!! HODL !!
Just follow the terms of ebay, isn't that hard to understand? If they don't accept, they don't. Easy as that.

Easy as that. Obviously they have restrictions on how you can get payment. You must use their approved payment methods. I understand we all want them to include BTC as payment method. But until they do it (or not do it; BTC is their rival, right? They own PayPal.), we have no option.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
You can also use bitcoin associated sites for auction. It will gove you more targeted audience and will help you sell faster without worries.

Can you recommend some?

This site is great:
https://cryptothrift.com/
Activity: 364
You had went agaisnt  TOS they dont support bitcoin as a payment method
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
You can also use bitcoin associated sites for auction. It will gove you more targeted audience and will help you sell faster without worries.

Can you recommend some?
Activity: 448
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Ebay owns paypal and you want to sell your miner on ebay for btc..
They will delete it obviously as bitcoin is not in thier payment systems list and sellers can not accept money from other payment modes. Main issue is scams and bitcoin doesnt comes under their fraud/scam protection (escrow), so its possible that they will remove your ad again if buyer complained about it, probably you will get banned too.  If you want to sell something for btc use some other classifieds site..
Pages:
Jump to: