Pages:
Author

Topic: [EDU] How to spot a scammer (Read this before lending your coins!) - page 5. (Read 211799 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Good to know that. Thank you for the information.
Activity: 53
While I agree with many of what is said on this post, it's unfair to just blindly mark people as scammers.

I asked for a small loan on some other guys thread.  I wasn't making a threat begging for money... The guy said he would give loans to people without collateral and I thought it'd be a good way to build reputation.  I DIDNT read the rules beforehand and that was my fault, but some people here are very hostile.

As an example, i have a perfect reputation at local bitcoins and have done numerous trades on there without one negative feedback.

I was also able to get a loan on bitbond very easily due to my reputation.

But on here? All of a sudden, I'm untrustworthy?  Makes no sense
Activity: 534
Merit: 500

13. NEVER DO BACKROOM DEALS VIA PM WITH NEW USERS. Make sure all deals are negotiated in the open forum for both public record and peer review.

I just wanted to tell you that while reading your post, I noticed that the quoted point is actually point #14  Grin

Anyway this is very enlightening and invaluable advice!
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
Just look for those who abuse the trust system.. if you can see for yourself, there was no business transactions warranting neg trust, consider those dis-trusting as scammers, period.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
(Technically this tip belongs in the currency exchange section however there is not a similar thread there)

There is one in Scam Accusations but I think it should be moved to Currency Exchange. People come to Scam Accusations to post an accusation, that time they don't want a EDU but it would help them in future to avoid being scammed. Or can you please make one in Scam Accusations?
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
You have 13 listed twice in the OP but list two different things to watch for. I might suggest adding number 15 being that a newbie is recommending or suggesting the use of an unknown exchange that turns out to be a scam.

Also the list of scammers is severely outdated and is somewhat obsolete with the marketplace trust system. I think it also makes the OP somewhat intimidating and cause some to not read it in its entirety.

(Technically this tip belongs in the currency exchange section however there is not a similar thread there)
Activity: 38
Lol I am a newbie, and need some $ in Bitcoin and am willing to pay the relatively small interest for help, I clicked on  these forums to see how it actually worked as far as the ups and downs of the market and what other people did with them, etc etc.... I have a new card ordered and recently verified my bank account with a "wallet" but it says I wont have any coins become available until the 3rd (I purchased 2, and it said they dont accept debit cards only credit...@Coinbase) anyways I digress, I saw the Marco guy giving out loans and I was like "Hey there is a quick way to get a coin and gain some traction on these threads" but then I read this "how to spot a scammer" deal, and I was like damnit!!!! haha straight out of NEWB and into hunting loans, I am the worst. Lol anyway looking forward to learning with yall, this seems neat.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Great topic.

You can always use google to find useful info for someone. And even lack of info about someone can be useful information  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
so if i have new account that would means i'm scammer ?
i don’t think this would work in fact i can create about 100 account now and use an auto poster tools to get rating here for the next 12 months then use the 100 account to ask for a loan 2 btc each
how would that looks like ?

No it means you should be active here in the forum and after request a loan , it is useless and suspicious for a newbie to ask a loan (without a valid collateral). The negative trust is only for a security reason , don't worry.
Activity: 55
so if i have new account that would means i'm scammer ?
i don’t think this would work in fact i can create about 100 account now and use an auto poster tools to get rating here for the next 12 months then use the 100 account to ask for a loan 2 btc each
how would that looks like ?
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
I am kind of bummed out that you state newbies will try to scam you 100 percent of the time. We all have to start somewhere.  How can somebody like me, who has been here a while, but not been very active build up a good reputation if nobody is willing to do any business with me?

Before the rating system I have made a few successful transactions. According to your guide (which is almost totally accurate) I am a huge risk. I just think its over reaching a touch to call all newbies scammers.
Activity: 42
thank you. this is a useful post to a beginners like me.
Activity: 22
great post, by the way I saw lot of lenders asking for ardeva token, it ardeva good enough to get trust ?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
Surprised I never found this before but it's been an interesting read and am glad it's here . I am curious though Tomatocage, do users drop from the green list or are they there till they muck up?

-Logan

I haven't really touched this list in months (years?) since the Trust system was rolled out. Normally if somebody proves themselves to be legit, I'll remove any negative Trust I've given them though.
It's helped me quite a lot anyway even if it wasn't updated, helps me and new users willing to trade.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Surprised I never found this before but it's been an interesting read and am glad it's here . I am curious though Tomatocage, do users drop from the green list or are they there till they muck up?

-Logan

I haven't really touched this list in months (years?) since the Trust system was rolled out. Normally if somebody proves themselves to be legit, I'll remove any negative Trust I've given them though.
We need a couple more people to watch out for the rest of us Wink
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians

-Logan

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

-Logan
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
Good thing to look for. Now I know what to do, and will visit and revisit until I get to over n00b mode.

BTW, there was a funny thing as quoted...

i do agree about the trolls/scammers using female identities to tug on guys heart strings for funds being a red flag. women in reality don't ask for loans, they get a man to do it in his name, take his funds in the divorce and leave him with the debt. lol

Sorry, had to laugh at that one.
legendary
Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000
https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C
Great list TomatoCage. Very diligent examples Smiley This should be a must read for anyone even considering loaning out Bitcoin or other Coins. Grin
Activity: 11
If this is still being updated, bitcoin212 https://btcjam.com/users/27023 seems to be trying to run a pyramid scheme. Not sure, either way posts don't make sense.

Just as a warning.
Pages:
Jump to: