Pages:
Author

Topic: Egad. 81,000 + Transactions Unconfirmed. Again. Ugh! - page 3. (Read 8826 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
At a certain point you just have to accept that this is the "new normal" and get on with life.
We may have to accept that it is the new norm for a short period but these long wait times and 50k transactions in the mempool is not a good "norm" to have.
Uh, no.  It will only worsen.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
At a certain point you just have to accept that this is the "new normal" and get on with life.
We may have to accept that it is the new norm for a short period but these long wait times and 50k transactions in the mempool is not a good "norm" to have.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
LoyceV, Lauda posted a long list of addresses a few days ago that are heavily contributing to the spam attack everyone seems to be suffering from.

If you thoroughly browse through all these addresses and look at how many nonsense transactions they are sending out, you'll probably understand that this is in fact a spam attack.

Thread ~ https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mother-of-all-spam-attacks-on-bitcoin-network-proof-1776143

Would love to see stats regarding the amount of "bitcoin days destroyed" from this handfull of adresses. You know there isn't only the 20 sat/B number but coin's age is reviewed on sheduling priorities, too.

You can't spam the mempool by ping-pong-playing between the very same two adresses, over and over again. At least than your fees for getting a transfer done are higher. Spammers would have to rely on some old resource, burning through that instead of burning through their money supply.

Maybe one lever against this attack pattern could be tinkering on the sheduler heuristics regarding coin age.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Sound. Fury. Signifying.
legendary
Merit: 1018
Cashback 15%

As I write there is another huge number of transactions in limbo.

Time to solve this problem, guys (lead developers).  Shape-up and fix this.

I grow somewhat disenchanted w/ BTC, even w/ paying higher fee (when I can) or w/ acceleration.

This became a problems for a couple of years, and up to now is gettingg more worst, especially more investors and users are more involving  themselves in this industry. I hope someone can give remedy on this sort of a problems.
There would be no remedy since bitcoin cant be fixed or edit its system or how it works and we should expect that tx fee will surely increase when demand and transactions would rise in longer years. We cant avoid this thing and this would really be a problem.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Current the minimum fee level is 20 satoshi per byte.

No. 20 sat/B will not confirm.

Using Luckyb.it as the baseline it looks like it's (120k sat / kb)
Either way it is really slow although the chart has a good example of the estimated delay times (Green fast, Orange Not Fast but Slow, Red Snail)
https://bitcoinfees.21.co/
Activity: 784

As I write there is another huge number of transactions in limbo.

Time to solve this problem, guys (lead developers).  Shape-up and fix this.

I grow somewhat disenchanted w/ BTC, even w/ paying higher fee (when I can) or w/ acceleration.

This became a problems for a couple of years, and up to now is gettingg more worst, especially more investors and users are more involving  themselves in this industry. I hope someone can give remedy on this sort of a problems.
Activity: 378

No. 20 sat/B will not confirm.
legendary
Activity: 950
Merit: 1000
You could check this article to get clear idea what the minimum fees are required to get the transactions included in next few blocks
http://coinour.com/index.php/how-to-predict-the-transaction-fees/
Activity: 546
Merit: 255
I have just sent some bitcoin with 20,000 satoshi as fee for my 191 bytes transaction and it got confirmed in first block. This fee is still low when moving large amount of bitcoin so increasing fee during situation like this is enough to get it through.

However this block size issue will encourage people to use other alts for sure.
It is obvious that the more fees you pay the more quicker you transactions will get confirmed.
But I never experience this problem even though I just give the recommended fees .
And even though I give little less fees than recommend it takes max to max 3 to 4 hrs to confirm.
But as so many of you are complaining this problem might be real.
It's just because there might be lot of load on the server as many people keep making transactions with bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
I find it hard to believe someone is making transactions just to spam the network.

You don't know much about the politics of money then.

The Central Banks in particular have a huge amount to gain from causing as much turmoil in the Bitcoin ecosystem as possible, and millions of $ is not much to the people who magic the actual money supply into existence
I know a thing or 2 about Central Banks. I see what you're going at, but I'd like to see some evidence showing Central Banks are buying Bitcoins just to make spam-transactions.
And even if it's true, wouldn't that be all the more reason to increase block size? Let them pump more fiat into Bitcoin for whatever agenda they have.

Central Banks would only take such actions with the utmost secrecy, you'd find out only if they announced it.

Money has an enormous psychological component attached to it's value, if evidence emerged that Central Banks were mining or buying BTC to attack it, the fact that they felt so threatened by Bitcoin would affect the market's perception of the value of the fiat currencies issued by them. Precisely not what the fiat issuers want.
legendary
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
LoyceV, Lauda posted a long list of addresses a few days ago that are heavily contributing to the spam attack everyone seems to be suffering from.

If you thoroughly browse through all these addresses and look at how many nonsense transactions they are sending out, you'll probably understand that this is in fact a spam attack.

Thread ~ https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mother-of-all-spam-attacks-on-bitcoin-network-proof-1776143

there's another thread saying these 'komodo' addresses have a legit purpose, it is not intentional spam.

could it be the obvious truth:  blocks have been nearing the 1 mb capacity for a long time
(just like Gavin warned) and now were seeing true network congestion more and more?

Could it just maybe be true?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I find it hard to believe someone is making transactions just to spam the network.

The Central Banks in particular have a huge amount to gain from causing as much turmoil in the Bitcoin ecosystem as possible, and millions of $ is not much to the people who magic the actual money supply into existence
I know a thing or 2 about Central Banks. I see what you're going at, but I'd like to see some evidence showing Central Banks are buying Bitcoins just to make spam-transactions.
And even if it's true, wouldn't that be all the more reason to increase block size? Let them pump more fiat into Bitcoin for whatever agenda they have.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
If we have let's say 2MB blocks, then this person will still be able to spam the network, but it would cost him much more money to reach the same level of effect.
I often read the statement that many transactions are caused by a "spam attack", but I haven't seen any evidence for it.
Fees are now $2000 to $3500 per block. About $15,000 per hour, or more than $2 million per week. Even if only a fraction of this is caused by "spam", that would mean someone is spending millions of dollars on it. I find it hard to believe someone is making transactions just to spam the network.
Activity: 896
Merit: 500
I'm really upset because of this. it continually happens, need to take any measures that solve it, if not, we need to change the technology platform, we need something quick and easy, and of course a cheaper fee. Current, Bitcoin is priced too high, so people use a smaller fee, this has slowed the transaction and makes it clogged, do not let this keep happening. they, the leaders blockchain need solutions
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
still the same as before we still get the same problem, namely the queue waiting for confirmation of transactions like this https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
I think it needs to prevent this problem not to happen again, my expectations bitcoin transactions really makes the other person is really convenient to use at least get a confirmation faster pace in the previous year
Situation won't change as long as the block size is still sitting at 1MB. I won't throw with names, but it's a consistent spam attack that most likely 1 person with deep pockets is running.

If we have let's say 2MB blocks, then this person will still be able to spam the network, but it would cost him much more money to reach the same level of effect.

For now I wouldn't focus too much on seeing this spam attack become less active as the person behind this attack can keep this up for quite a long time.

It's either patience that you need if you stick to relative low fees, or add a hefty fee to get your transaction confirmed within 2 blocks. There is not much more that you can do, really.
Activity: 434
still the same as before we still get the same problem, namely the queue waiting for confirmation of transactions like this https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
I think it needs to prevent this problem not to happen again, my expectations bitcoin transactions really makes the other person is really convenient to use at least get a confirmation faster pace in the previous year
Activity: 378

88,000 + now.  I have not checked to see what fees now have to be to get a confirmation in 1 - 2 blocks.

I read earlier in this thread that rising BTC price correlates with increasing activity and longer confirmation times.  Today's unconfirmeds would tend to be more evidence of just that.

I'll just take a break from BTC activity until the number of unconfirmeds comes down.

200 sat/B should get a conf in the first 1-2 blocks, this is about 0.00045 BTC for a small 225 byte tx.
Pages:
Jump to: