Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum 1.9 released - page 6. (Read 15912 times)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250
November 18, 2013, 07:34:04 PM
I am trying to upgrade from 1.8.1 portable to 1.9.4 portable using seed. The gap limit was set higher than normal in 1.8.1 (required for an application using the master public key) and to recover all addresses I need to increase gap limit in the 1.9.4 version (Windows) or I will lose transactions. I need to set the gap limit in 1.9.4 the same as is was in 1.8.1.

How do I increase the gap limit in 1.9.4 portable in Windows? The option no longer exists in GUI. I sure hope you did not take that capability away, that would not make sense and is a big headache for me.

Yes he did take that capability away in the GUI. But what you can do is to run Electrum with the -G switch:

electrum -w mynewwallet.dat -G 10

(The -w part is optional if you don't have a default wallet)

This only works with new wallets and I guess with wallets you are restoring from seed.

For an existing wallet you have to do this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3604327

Thanks, but not working. Need to hear from the developer.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
November 18, 2013, 06:46:50 PM
I am trying to upgrade from 1.8.1 portable to 1.9.4 portable using seed. The gap limit was set higher than normal in 1.8.1 (required for an application using the master public key) and to recover all addresses I need to increase gap limit in the 1.9.4 version (Windows) or I will lose transactions. I need to set the gap limit in 1.9.4 the same as is was in 1.8.1.

How do I increase the gap limit in 1.9.4 portable in Windows? The option no longer exists in GUI. I sure hope you did not take that capability away, that would not make sense and is a big headache for me.

Yes he did take that capability away in the GUI. But what you can do is to run Electrum with the -G switch:

electrum -w mynewwallet.dat -G 10

(The -w part is optional if you don't have a default wallet)

This only works with new wallets and I guess with wallets you are restoring from seed.

For an existing wallet you have to do this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3604327
Activity: 285
Merit: 250
November 18, 2013, 04:53:55 PM

legendary
November 16, 2013, 04:15:15 PM
Ok I did that. Thanks. But it displays red in the label column next to those new addresses. That isn't going to be a problem, is it?
red means that the address is beyond the gap limit, so it will not be recovered if you restore from seed
the red color will disappear once other (preceding) addresses receive coins.

Ok thanks again.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
November 16, 2013, 04:01:30 PM
Ok I did that. Thanks. But it displays red in the label column next to those new addresses. That isn't going to be a problem, is it?
red means that the address is beyond the gap limit, so it will not be recovered if you restore from seed
the red color will disappear once other (preceding) addresses receive coins.
legendary
November 16, 2013, 03:27:13 PM
Is it possible to increase the gap limit manually by editing the wallet file or is that unsafe? I am running out of free addresses and would rather not resort to a php script to generate more from my mpk.

edit: What I've tried so far without success:

- Tried an electrum.conf file https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/9ce90932ba6ca7f474f1d7bbae08bffaf28d842e/electrum.conf.sample

- Tried the -G command line switch. This works when creating new wallets but not with old ones.

in the python console, you can do:

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(0)

it will create a new address, beyond your gap limit.
(you might need to restart the client to refresh the display)

legendary
November 16, 2013, 03:00:56 PM
Is it possible to increase the gap limit manually by editing the wallet file or is that unsafe? I am running out of free addresses and would rather not resort to a php script to generate more from my mpk.

- Tried an electrum.conf file https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/9ce90932ba6ca7f474f1d7bbae08bffaf28d842e/electrum.conf.sample

- Tried the -G command line switch. This works when creating new wallets but not with old ones.

in the python console, you can do:

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(0)

it will create a new address, beyond your gap limit.
(you might need to restart the client to refresh the display)
legendary
November 16, 2013, 10:44:52 AM

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Are you like these guys?
November 16, 2013, 10:43:39 AM
Hi people,
I didn't get the insider joke but thanks!
Neotenie

The only insider joke I'm interested in is "the new version of Electrum is working perfectly and safe for everyone to download".

Wait... is that a joke?  Cheesy

I'm hoping it's not a joke, this upgrade has gone on far too long and I'm getting somewhat bored looking at the arcana on this thread.

Best of luck with the upgrade though, I'll check back in to see if 1.9.4 is actually gonna fly or whether people looking for a best-of-breed straightforward wallet like Electrum 1.8.1 are still expected to become involved in its development and testing.

Undecided

Activity: 45
Merit: 3
November 16, 2013, 10:12:38 AM
Hi people,
I didn't get the insider joke but thanks!
Neotenie
Activity: 715
Bitcoin Venezuela
November 16, 2013, 05:07:58 AM
Thanks Tashikoma,

to be clear:

when prompted when dragging the new software to the application folder with "replace with the new one or keep both" I shall choose to replace the old one, yes?
Will the program recognize my wallet automatically?

Greets,
Neotenie

Replace / overwrite

Tachikoma, you never expected that Cheesy
November 15, 2013, 03:12:41 PM
Thanks Tashikoma,

to be clear:

when prompted when dragging the new software to the application folder with "replace with the new one or keep both" I shall choose to replace the old one, yes?
Will the program recognize my wallet automatically?

Greets,
Neotenie
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
November 15, 2013, 02:28:41 PM
Step 1. Download the Application from the website and drag it to your applications folder.
Step 2. You are done.

Smiley
November 15, 2013, 01:58:17 PM
Hi dear people,

is it possible to update electrum from 1.7 to 1.9?
I mean, I'm a bit afraid of downloading a new version and not knowing how to transfer my wallet there.

If there is no other options than anew download, do I have to delete the old version first?

Basically I would not touch anything if I didn't have any problems but I have: the application is stucked on synchronizing so I cannot do anything.

So question 1: would a new version solve my problem?
question 2: how do I process, "step by step".

I'm on a mac book with lion.
THANKS,
Neotenie
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
November 15, 2013, 11:38:21 AM
I entered my master public key on a separate internet connected computer to create a watching only wallet, but if I right click on a public address and click on "private key", I can see the address's private key without it asking me for my password.  Am I wrong or is this in effect no different than having an unencrypted wallet? If someone could hack into my computer, they could see the private keys for all my addresses.  Until this is clarified, I have transferred all my funds out of electrum wallets for the time being (though electrum is otherwise great).

Does this happen to anyone else?

I guess you are talking about the wallet that has your seed (not the watching-only wallet), and that you forgot to encrypt it.
just add a password..

or maybe you selected 'restore from seed' and typed your master public key there

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

you definitely selected 'restore from seed' instead of 'restore from master public key', and typed your master public key there

No I definitely didn't either time, both times it said "watching only wallet" after it was created, and I can only create unsigned transactions.  Let's just take my word for it that I entered it in the correct place, what should be happening when I click on private key?  I'm on OSX Mavericks if that is of any help.

I'm on Mavericks and I can't reproduce what you are seeing. I've created a fresh wallet, then restore from its MPK and it doesn't appear to have the private key option as expected.

Then restore using the MPK entering it in the seed section and got a different set of a addresses, that obviously carries privkeys.

That is so odd.  When I create the watching-only wallet, I get the correct set of addresses.  What should I do?    
Activity: 715
Bitcoin Venezuela
November 15, 2013, 03:52:38 AM
I entered my master public key on a separate internet connected computer to create a watching only wallet, but if I right click on a public address and click on "private key", I can see the address's private key without it asking me for my password.  Am I wrong or is this in effect no different than having an unencrypted wallet? If someone could hack into my computer, they could see the private keys for all my addresses.  Until this is clarified, I have transferred all my funds out of electrum wallets for the time being (though electrum is otherwise great).

I guess you are talking about the wallet that has your seed (not the watching-only wallet), and that you forgot to encrypt it.
just add a password..

or maybe you selected 'restore from seed' and typed your master public key there

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

you definitely selected 'restore from seed' instead of 'restore from master public key', and typed your master public key there

No I definitely didn't either time, both times it said "watching only wallet" after it was created, and I can only create unsigned transactions.  Let's just take my word for it that I entered it in the correct place, what should be happening when I click on private key?  I'm on OSX Mavericks if that is of any help.

I'm on Mavericks and I can't reproduce what you are seeing. I've created a fresh wallet, then restore from its MPK and it doesn't appear to have the private key option as expected.

Then restore using the MPK entering it in the seed section and got a different set of a addresses, that obviously carries privkeys.
November 15, 2013, 02:55:21 AM

just add a password..

legendary
November 15, 2013, 02:49:40 AM

just add a password..

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?

November 15, 2013, 02:39:57 AM

just add a password..

Nope.  It is my watching-only wallet on a computer that has never had a hot wallet on it.  I even erased the watching only wallet, reentered my MPK and it still happens.  However, I compared the private keys shown on the watching-only wallet to the cold storage wallet the private keys are different.  Could a dev or someone explain what is going on?  Does this mean I am okay?
legendary
November 15, 2013, 02:23:40 AM

just add a password..

Pages:
Jump to: