Pages:
Author

Topic: Embedable Javascript Bitcoin miner for your website - page 10. (Read 149512 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

We appreciate all the constructive conversation, as that is really helping us find the direction of this site. We understand that it isn't perfect, that is the reason we are not worrying about fees at first.

We are proud to announce that we are rolling out our registration emails. This should be arriving in your inbox starting now, and over the course of the next several hours. We had a lot of sign-ups, so we are having to span the emails out. Please be patient as we get all this mail delivered.

Once you get your registration email, you should have instructions for how to activate your account. Once activated you will be able to set your wallet id.

Actually, that is about all the current control panel does. We understand that you all will want to see stats about the performance of your site. We do too, and we are working on that. Additions will be coming quickly, but we wanted to get you guys something sooner.

We really do appreciate everyone helping us take part in this "beta", keep up the feedback... we are nowhere near done with this site yet  Cheesy
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
I think the future of this is to develop a miner that is easy for a person to install and that websites could interface with...a user would have a choice between ads, mining or direct payment for access or content.  A given website would stipulate a number of hash computations required for access and the miner would use spare cycles and run overnight to try and satisfy the requirement of all websites the user subscribes to...if the user tries to sign up for more sites than his hardware could possibly handle, it would alert him to that fact.  People with efficient GPUs would have a lot more of this currency to spend on website access.  But people with less efficient hardware might still use this method to access websites as it might be preferable to a separate billing or ads even if the electricity cost exceeds the value of the bitcoins they mine.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
Awesome, gonna check it out
Activity: 630
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Fun statistics time - my Google Nexus S runs at a rate of 43Mhash/day if I just leave it sitting on my websites home page  Roll Eyes

Really Mhash?

Edit: Oh, per _day_, I see Smiley
Activity: 76
Fun statistics time - my Google Nexus S runs at a rate of 43Mhash/day if I just leave it sitting on my websites home page  Roll Eyes
Activity: 630
Deleted my post then, that wasn't really a "downtime", more of a "blip" Smiley
Activity: 84
It's down.

Eep  Shocked  Thanks for the notice, it's back up now.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
Awesome idea, and with the upcoming webcl, even better!
Activity: 3
Merit: 0

However, I do not currently have a reason to believe that Google would flag this as malware. Because, as best as I know, this does not meet the definition of Malware.... if so, wouldn't Google have flagged Bitcoin.org as a distributor of malware, for having miner downloads on it's homepage?

I ask to provoke questions, and discussion. I've been thinking about this all morning, and as best as I can rationalize, this is not different and an ad server. Even Flash ads can, and do, consume your CPU like their is no tomorrow.

There's a difference between these:

• Bitcoin.org Downloads - These are willing participants. Downloading your own client makes perfect sense. It's like participating with BOINC.
  • Flash Ads - Those things are definitely a bane to all of us, especially the ones that have sound that is always 150% of other embeds. But, they are visible to the visitor, so they know they are there. They can also be disabled by the user. There's also the point of it may be "relevant" to the visitor.
  • Embedded Miner - This can be deemed non-beneficial to the visitor and only a nuisance. It doesn't provide any extra content to them, but it does use up their CPU. Imagine if many sites implemented it, and a visitor had many tabs open with it running. The visitor wouldn't be gaining anything, but instead wonder they their computer is screaming at them.

I'm definitely interested in the concept, but it would need some extra work to be a little less intrusive. I'm watching the discussion to see how it goes.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I compared this with the native Bitcoin c++ client's mining...I am getting 4 to 5x the performance with your Javascript miner (running on OSX in the Chrome browser).  Can anyone else confirm that (I'm getting about 9Mhash/s in the browser vs less than 2Mhash/s with the bitcoin client)?  If it's really the case, that's quite impressive!

Sorry to disappoint, Steve, but our site is just listing hashes per second, so you're probably seeing 9 khps, not 9Mhps  Tongue

Unfortunately, javascript computation is rather slow Smiley There is intense discussion of making use of web-based CL to use the graphics card, but no implementation yet.

Oops.  So, I worked out some estimates for a website that gets 10,000 hits/day and where people stay on the page an average of 5 min.  If I did the numbers correctly, that would be on the order of 0.001 BTC/day (or $0.0065 at current exchange rates).  This doesn't seem like very much...how would advertising usually compare with this?
10k views per day would probably net around $1.00 in ad revenue per day.  Maybe more if they're mostly unique.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
I compared this with the native Bitcoin c++ client's mining...I am getting 4 to 5x the performance with your Javascript miner (running on OSX in the Chrome browser).  Can anyone else confirm that (I'm getting about 9Mhash/s in the browser vs less than 2Mhash/s with the bitcoin client)?  If it's really the case, that's quite impressive!

Sorry to disappoint, Steve, but our site is just listing hashes per second, so you're probably seeing 9 khps, not 9Mhps  Tongue

Unfortunately, javascript computation is rather slow Smiley There is intense discussion of making use of web-based CL to use the graphics card, but no implementation yet.

Oops.  So, I worked out some estimates for a website that gets 10,000 hits/day and where people stay on the page an average of 5 min.  If I did the numbers correctly, that would be on the order of 0.001 BTC/day (or $0.0065 at current exchange rates).  This doesn't seem like very much...how would advertising usually compare with this?
legendary
To further answer this question... our server refreshes the getwork on a fixed interval, and client requests to us return that cached work in addition to a nonce range. The refresh interval and nonce range width are chosen to provide enough work to the clients (which is not hard, since they're pretty slow) and to not exhaust the space of nonces.

We also check the validity of work submissions ourselves before passing them on.

Well, thats good solution. I was just affraid of getwork-per-pageview thing Smiley.

Currently we're only pinging your pool once or twice per minute. We certainly don't want to abuse the privelege, so let us know if you have any concerns or comments.

Well, if getwork ping are in constant rate (as it obviously is), you can ask for getwork more frequently to avoid stale shares (by crunching hashes from outdated block).

Generally I like the idea and I wish you success. It really can replace stupid flash ads (which is btw also taking one cpu core for itself Smiley. Also consider flash mining; flash itself is compiled and much faster than javascript, so you can incredibly improve hashrate even on CPUs (my Intel Atom can make 500khash/s per one CPU core, instead of 300 hash/s in JS). Newest flash has also limited support for GPU, but from my teoretical knowledge it should be enough to implement GPU mining in browser...
Activity: 280
Merit: 252

I am a little confused on what the concern is. AFAIK, Google, et al, do not execute Javascript when they visit your website. Am I missing something?

When Google scans a page, it looks at all links, embeds, etc. It will see the script address for the embed. After they decide that the script is taking up too much CPU (user reports and whatnot), they will flag it as malware. Any page that embeds the script will also be flagged as malware. This can lead to things like pre-visit warning dialogs within the browser.

Hiding the script, along with any related content, from bots such as Google is the only way to prevent a page from being flagged.

That is not true as far as I know. I promote websites for a living.

The only way a site can be flagged as malware is if it attempts to load any known drive by downloads to a special malware crawler.

If they deem forcing a user to mine bitcoins malware (which they might) then it would wreak havoc with one's website.
Activity: 76
Firefox 4 on Intel (ehm) Atom Smiley

Now there's your problem!

Edit: My Intel Atom N270 with 3Gb member running Ubuntu (Classic gnome, none of that ugly Unity) 11.04 with Firefox Nightly 6a gets between 900-1100 hash/sec.
legendary
Well, how this works _technically_? I hope that it does NOT call pool for every pageview... So how is work distributed?

We have an independent loop pulling getworks from your pool on a fixed interval, so definitely not on every pageview.

Great.

Can you tell me what browser got you 275 hashes? On chrome/safari we get more like 9000 hashes.

Firefox 4 on Intel (ehm) Atom Smiley
Well, how this works _technically_? I hope that it does NOT call pool for every pageview... So how is work distributed?

To further answer this question... our server refreshes the getwork on a fixed interval, and client requests to us return that cached work in addition to a nonce range. The refresh interval and nonce range width are chosen to provide enough work to the clients (which is not hard, since they're pretty slow) and to not exhaust the space of nonces.

We also check the validity of work submissions ourselves before passing them on.

Currently we're only pinging your pool once or twice per minute. We certainly don't want to abuse the privelege, so let us know if you have any concerns or comments.
Activity: 966
Merit: 254
I do get 3k using 20% extra of the CPU in Firefox 4.0 beta 11 (too lazy to update :3) but it would be nice if that webCL could be implemented :3

We have an independent loop pulling getworks from your pool on a fixed interval, so definitely not on every pageview.

Btw I partially implemented that, too. Many months ago. Then I realized that buying one more ati 5970 is better than managing network of zilions slow workers.

True, it's not a good choice over building a rig. On the other hand, it doesn't cost us or the site operators anything at all, which is hard to argue with Smiley

Actually bitp.it shows me "275 hashes per second", but I my code (which I don't have anymore, unfortunately) derived from some public sha256 js cruncher made few thousands of hashes per second on same machine...

Can you tell me what browser got you 275 hashes? On chrome/safari we get more like 9000 hashes.
legendary

Btw I partially implemented that, too. Many months ago. Then I realized that buying one more ati 5970 is better than managing network of zilions slow workers.

Actually bitp.it shows me "275 hashes per second", but I my code (which I don't have anymore, unfortunately) derived from some public sha256 js cruncher made few thousands of hashes per second on same machine...
Pages:
Jump to: