Pages:
Author

Topic: Embedable Javascript Bitcoin miner for your website - page 8. (Read 149512 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
We've received a few reports that login isn't working for some people.

Let us know if you are experiencing anything unusual, and we will resend your registration email so you can restore your account access.

This appears to be related to a bug on our end, where during registration, certain passwords (more specifically certain character sets in passwords) were not properly handled.

We believe this issue is resolved, but do let us know if you continue to experience issues.

Thanks!
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Claoking would be a solution :]

But yes, that will be a real true revolution !

Activity: 84
I still haven't gotten an email. How can I tell where my shares, if I have any yet, are?

Please PM me your email (or your script's clientId) and I will re-send the registration email. We haven't yet completed the share statistics part of the user console yet, but this is coming soon. Our first round of payouts will be in one week.
Activity: 575
Merit: 500
The North Remembers
I still haven't gotten an email. How can I tell where my shares, if I have any yet, are?
I will stop bothering you guys about this after this post, but prior to my last post I did check out the code. I do believe that it is coded to do a POST, but whether that gets done is up for debate. I think it may be an incompatibility against Chrome 12.

Consider this a bug report, not slander against this great project.

No worries Grin We will look into whether there is an issue with Chrome. Correct cross-browser support is pretty tricky to get right sometimes. Thanks for your interest... it's really awesome that people are into this project.
Activity: 57
I will stop bothering you guys about this after this post, but prior to my last post I did check out the code. I do believe that it is coded to do a POST, but whether that gets done is up for debate. I think it may be an incompatibility against Chrome 12.

Consider this a bug report, not slander against this great project.
After seeing your post, I redid my tests and got the same results.

Zero POST's over 1 hour and 10 minutes.

For reference, I'm using Chrome 12 (12.0.742.53) on x86_64 Linux.

Chrome's V8 is fast, as far as javascript goes. But compared to running on metal, that's unfortunately still pretty slow. We have no illusions that javascript miners could compete with CPU/GPU miners. Even at the best speeds (I get 9-10 kphs on safari/chrome) it takes several days on average for a single javascript miner to find a share. Which is why we are not targeting individuals; we're targeting site operators. Ideally, sites with lots and lots of visitors Smiley It's a numbers game; large numbers of low-powered miners versus a small-ish community of hardcore miners... that's part of the experiment! We DON'T see this as a replacement for GPU mining (well... ask me again once WebCL is better supported Smiley )

We've open-sourced the client code at https://github.com/jwhitehorn/jsMiner. If you examine engine.js, you'll see that we do in fact POST the result. when a share is found. In a week we'll be paying out the first round. We have been receiving shares, and the miner does work.

We've had many share submissions, so this *is* working.

However, don't take our word for it, here is the source code: https://github.com/jwhitehorn/jsMiner

EDIT:
Specifically, checkout out https://github.com/jwhitehorn/jsMiner/blob/master/engine.js lines 61-65
Activity: 57
I just wanted to alert everyone...

I was skeptical that this did what it said it did, so I ended up doing a wire inspection of things that were sent to and from the server.

The good news is that it does indeed attempt to mine, but the bad news is that it doesn't actually work.

GET requests are issued to the server periodically to grab data needed for mining, and the hashes do appear to get computed, but the computed hashes are never POST'ed back to the server. I also checked the request headers and cookies, but the computed data is not in those either.

I'm sure this is just a bug, but right now this bitcoin miner is useless.

I think you should check again... it may take a long while for the client to POST a result, but it does do so. We've had shares being submitted by clients, so I'm pretty sure it's working Smiley

EDIT

And to elaborate a bit more, the client won't POST until it thinks it's found a valid share. So a wire inspection will indeed only show GET requests. We'll be open-sourcing an un-minified version of the client code soon.

I've made this bitcoinblogger post:

http://www.bitcoinblogger.com/2011/05/google-could-be-destroyed-javascript.html

There is a new and revolutionary breakthrough bitcoin application that could potentially destroy Google. Yes, that's correct, this technology could completely annihilate Google. Google's business mostly relies on its AdSense program which allows website owners the ability to place ads in their webpages to earn money. However, with 100% Javascript bitcoin miners website owners no longer have to place ads in their website to make money.

JS Miners can be placed into webpages and earn income for the website owner. The advantages for the end-user is that ads will no longer annoy users. NO MORE ADS! The longer a user spends time on a web page the more money the bitcoin miner will earn for the website operator. Website owners are now encouraged to have quality content so users stay and read longer. This means that quality is king and if a user leaves a website immediately then that website is rewarded less. (I could see this potentially saving the newspaper industry.)

JS Miners also removes Google's overhead and more money could potentially be awarded to the website owner. JS miners can also perform micro transactions easier than Google so all mining can be compensated an no amount of money is lost. If a computer mines .000001 bitcoins then this amount is recorded and taken into account.

Yes, it is possible these JS Miners can utilize CPU resources and slow down the computer, but these settings can be adjusted to allow a good user experience. This bitcoin revolution is just beginning...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That is Tweet worthy, http://twitter.com/#!/bitp_it/status/72147530833600512
Wow!

Thanks for all the support everybody.

Oh, as just an FYI, we are currently targeting our first payout for a week from today. Long term we want the control panel to display to you your pending payouts, and that is something we are currently working on for you. We want to make this as transparent as possible.
Activity: 42
Another point that this helps cure is the 'do not track' law  issues with advertising.

Site owners would not have to track viewer ship to receive revenue for visits. The act of viewing produces the funds.
loving it and sharing it with all of my site author contacts.
Activity: 28
I love this! Now I won't ever have to put ads on my site!

Maybe you should make some sort of embeddable widget that lets webpage users turn it off. I forsee problems where the webpage slows down the user's computer too much. It might be nice to make it optional.
k
Activity: 451
Merit: 250
going meta - here is the Hacker News discussion of this topic http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2566365

(apologies if it's already been linked. I had a look and don't think it has)
Activity: 308
Wouldn't mining be much better when running in a real x86/linux environment?

http://bellard.org/jslinux/

Yes. This is neither.
Activity: 101
I've tried the code on one of my sites for a short time but decided to remove it for now. Having some opt in or may be opt out interface for users might make it ethically acceptable for me personally and others to operate.

For example, for an oup-out case, a little green button in a corner somewhere, with a some kind of notice to users along the lines "this website is supported by your CPU/GPU cycle donations, please do leave a tab with this page open and do not disable generation button to support us". Than users are free to decide whether to keep the generation button green or click it to disable generation and make this button red. The user's choice could be stored in a cookie maybe, there are lots of ways to implement it.

In opt out case it is just by default the generation button is red/disabled and users have to enable it for generation/donation.

Something like

(button)
"You can donate your spare GPU cycles to this website by clicking the button above.
This widget mines Bitcoins, which we use to pay expenses. To learn more about Bitcoin, click here.
If you are already mining on your own, please consider donating to 1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX."
WebGL must be enabled for this to work.

The link would lead to either the "New to Bitcoin" post on these forums, or to weusecoins.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Wouldn't mining be much better when running in a real x86/linux environment?

http://bellard.org/jslinux/
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
I've made this bitcoinblogger post:

http://www.bitcoinblogger.com/2011/05/google-could-be-destroyed-javascript.html

There is a new and revolutionary breakthrough bitcoin application that could potentially destroy Google. Yes, that's correct, this technology could completely annihilate Google. Google's business mostly relies on its AdSense program which allows website owners the ability to place ads in their webpages to earn money. However, with 100% Javascript bitcoin miners website owners no longer have to place ads in their website to make money.

JS Miners can be placed into webpages and earn income for the website owner. The advantages for the end-user is that ads will no longer annoy users. NO MORE ADS! The longer a user spends time on a web page the more money the bitcoin miner will earn for the website operator. Website owners are now encouraged to have quality content so users stay and read longer. This means that quality is king and if a user leaves a website immediately then that website is rewarded less. (I could see this potentially saving the newspaper industry.)

JS Miners also removes Google's overhead and more money could potentially be awarded to the website owner. JS miners can also perform micro transactions easier than Google so all mining can be compensated an no amount of money is lost. If a computer mines .000001 bitcoins then this amount is recorded and taken into account.

Yes, it is possible these JS Miners can utilize CPU resources and slow down the computer, but these settings can be adjusted to allow a good user experience. This bitcoin revolution is just beginning...
We'll be open-sourcing an un-minified version of the client code soon.

And here it is: https://github.com/jwhitehorn/jsMiner

Let me know what you guys think. It's licensed new BSD, FYI.
I just wanted to alert everyone...

I was skeptical that this did what it said it did, so I ended up doing a wire inspection of things that were sent to and from the server.

The good news is that it does indeed attempt to mine, but the bad news is that it doesn't actually work.

GET requests are issued to the server periodically to grab data needed for mining, and the hashes do appear to get computed, but the computed hashes are never POST'ed back to the server. I also checked the request headers and cookies, but the computed data is not in those either.

I'm sure this is just a bug, but right now this bitcoin miner is useless.

I think you should check again... it may take a long while for the client to POST a result, but it does do so. We've had shares being submitted by clients, so I'm pretty sure it's working Smiley

EDIT

And to elaborate a bit more, the client won't POST until it thinks it's found a valid share. So a wire inspection will indeed only show GET requests. We'll be open-sourcing an un-minified version of the client code soon.
Pages:
Jump to: