Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 16. (Read 213559 times)

W-M
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
In Crypto we Trust.
Well the feathercoin wallet script doesn't work
I entered a simple password and in the brute file i only allowed it to search for letters that were in the password
Pointed it towards the simple password, so when it first ran the first word was the password etc
I ran the program twice and it didn't find the password!

I wonder if a file recovery program would reover an earlier version of the saved wallet?
You very well might.
Activity: 182
Here is maybe a silly question, but how do I know where my bitcoind is installed? I tend to remember that I installed it after I installed the regular qt client. Right now bitcoind runs but I don't know where it's at.
It's typically located (on Windows) in C:\Program Files (x86)*\Bitcoin\daemon\.

*can be just "program files", depending on your processor

thanks for that but what about on ubuntu?
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Well the feathercoin wallet script doesn't work
I entered a simple password and in the brute file i only allowed it to search for letters that were in the password
Pointed it towards the simple password, so when it first ran the first word was the password etc
I ran the program twice and it didn't find the password!

I wonder if a file recovery program would reover an earlier version of the saved wallet?
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Still no luck.

I haven't been able to get on the forum since Sunday night for some reason, so I will try the new scrypt later thanks
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
Here is maybe a silly question, but how do I know where my bitcoind is installed? I tend to remember that I installed it after I installed the regular qt client. Right now bitcoind runs but I don't know where it's at.
It's typically located (on Windows) in C:\Program Files (x86)*\Bitcoin\daemon\.

*can be just "program files", depending on your processor
I don't get this script. I have tested it on another wallet. I entered the correct password into the script so it would find it right away. However 2 hours later it still hasn't found? When it started off with the correct password...
I've had trouble getting it to work with Feathercoin wallets, too. Do you know if different encryption standards might be responsible for the problem?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168
This message was too old and has been purged
Activity: 27
I don't get this script. I have tested it on another wallet. I entered the correct password into the script so it would find it right away. However 2 hours later it still hasn't found? When it started off with the correct password...
Activity: 2
Hey there,

I got the script running but I have one problem. My password got the combination "/\" (without the ") in it and when ruby tries the different combinations the "/\" are not shown in the attemps.
so for example my pw is "hello/\" it only tries "hello". Are the "/\" just not shown or are they not tested at all? Thanks for help already Smiley

Edit: I'm quite desperate at the moment, cause I don't think I will find my PW that way ever again. Is there anyone out there who's trying different methods or is it just the same method like the ruby script but with faster hardware? I would even send my wallet.dat to a trustful person.
Activity: 177
Hi, me again. Everything is ok. I wrote a bunch of all possible combination of my passwords  and believe it or not the right password was the last one that was on list!
Thank you anyway, without reading your posts I wouldn't come to idea to combine my passwords! Thank you!
Activity: 177
Hi friends. I have big problem. I encrypted my bbq wallet in April and couple days after that I've written it down on paper. Meanwhile I was mining bbq, paying bills for electricity, lived in noisy room and finally price of my coins went up. Yesterday I wanted to send some coins and my password doesn't fit. Problem is that I am 100% that my password is ok (I know it is not but I can't handle this anymore). I use couple more passwords my whole life and none of them fit also! Is there any way that I can access my wallet or is there any hope that I will be able in future, I am not in harry to spend coins, I just can't accept the idea that I lost everything?  I've read everything you wrote on this topic but I understand nothing. I am windows user and I know how to start .exe files, everything more of that is a problem to me!
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
I've just typed 77 combinations in, 1 missing and 2 missing still no luck

Here's an optimized delete-only script for you.  It will try deleting up to 5 characters.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require "net/http"
require "json"

# Fill in your RPC username and password from your bitcoin.conf here.
$rpc_pass = "some-password"

passphrase = 'oops i forgot something'

def test(passphrase)
  puts passphrase.inspect
  request = Net::HTTP::Post.new("/")
  request.basic_auth "", $rpc_pass
  request.body = { method:"walletpassphrase", params:[passphrase, 1] }.to_json
  response = Net::HTTP.new("localhost", 8332).request(request)
  if response.code == "401" ; puts "Incorrect RPC user/pass" ; exit 1 ; end
  ret = JSON.parse response.body
  if ret["error"].nil? ; puts "\nFound it! #{passphrase.inspect}" ; exit ; end
  return if ret["error"]["code"] == -14 # wrong passphrase
  raise "WTF? #{ret.inspect}"
end

def del(p, n)
  p.length.times.map do |i|
    q = p[0,i] + p[(i+1)..-1]
    n > 0 ? del(q,n-1) : q
  end
end

5.times { |n| del(passphrase, n).flatten.uniq.each { |i| test i } }

puts "No luck."
sorry maybe I'm missing something, but where does the 12 come from for 1 char missing?
If he knows the password is 12 characters long, and he has it written down, then it could be any one of those twelve characters that is missing - therefore, 12 combinations.

He is right there are only 11 combinations for 12 numbers.

I've just typed 77 combinations in, 1 missing and 2 missing still no luck
sorry maybe I'm missing something, but where does the 12 come from for 1 char missing?
If he knows the password is 12 characters long, and he has it written down, then it could be any one of those twelve characters that is missing - therefore, 12 combinations.
This may be wrong, but for my situation where there is a 12 character random sequence password (that I have wrote down) where any 2 characters could be missing, there aren't as many outcomes as I thought there would be I'm getting 66 outcomes. Although long winded it may be worth me trying to enter those manually. I'm not sure what that number goes up to if there are 3 though.  

It is possible that I've made an error in the math, but I'm pretty sure there are:

1 possibility if no characters are missing.

12 possibilities if 1 character is missing.

66 possibilities if 2 characters are missing.

220 possibilities if 3 characters are missing.

Therefore, if you don't know if it's 0, 1, 2, or 3 characters that are missing, then there are a total of 299 possibilities to try?

It's a long time since i was at school but that looks about right. I have just wrote out all 66 possibilities of my password with 2 characters missing, I'm sure it will be even more long winded typing them in, I made need to have a think before I write out all 220 pssibilities with 3 missing lol

This may be wrong, but for my situation where there is a 12 character random sequence password (that I have wrote down) where any 2 characters could be missing, there aren't as many outcomes as I thought there would be I'm getting 66 outcomes. Although long winded it may be worth me trying to enter those manually. I'm not sure what that number goes up to if there are 3 though.  

It is possible that I've made an error in the math, but I'm pretty sure there are:

Therefore, if you don't know if it's 0, 1, 2, or 3 characters that are missing, then there are a total of 299 possibilities to try?

It's a long time since i was at school but that looks about right. I have just wrote out all 66 possibilities of my password with 2 characters missing, I'm sure it will be even more long winded typing them in, I made need to have a think before I write out all 220 pssibilities with 3 missing lol
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

has anyone made or thought to make a GUI for this?
Pages:
Jump to: