Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 23. (Read 213559 times)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10
I too have lost my password which makes NO sense to me because whenever I make passwords I only use certain phrases/letters that I know by heart. So I'm extremely confused as to why I can't remember my password for my wallet.

I tried following this thread but frankly I'm very confused. What exactly do I do with these scripts? I'm on windows 7, if that matters. I'd like to try and brute force my password using phrases/letters I know.

I've got cain and abel but I'm assuming this wont work since apparently all this is good for is packet sniffing or cracking windows account passwords and that doesn't apply here.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
Rahazan
Thank you very much your scrypt. Fellow bitcointalk member FatMagic remotely loaded the scrypt on my rig and it recovered my password in about 30 seconds.

I pm'd you.
Please send me an updated address so i can tip you!

.m.
Activity: 280
Merit: 260
seriously ? 30 btc wallet - and one line is all you can come up with ?
this : "i think it has 16 characters + maybe 2-4 more"
ETA: after Sun dies

try above advice :
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pywallet-22-manage-your-wallet-update-required-34028
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
Is there a way of extracting the private key from the wallet ?

Im using the latest QT version i have tried a few methods here in total i have tried 1 million + passwords so far

Would it be possible to load an old version of the QT wallet ?

i think it has 16 characters + maybe 2-4 more  Sad

if you have an old (unencrypted) version of the wallet, copy it several times, before you do anything

you can use pywallet to extract all the keys.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Crypto Somnium
Is there a way of extracting the private key from the wallet ?

Im using the latest QT version i have tried a few methods here in total i have tried 1 million + passwords so far

Would it be possible to load an old version of the QT wallet ?

i think it has 16 characters + maybe 2-4 more  Sad
.m.
Activity: 280
Merit: 260
I tested RAR password recovery recently, but it is painfully slow. It uses AES as bitcoin wallet AFAIK. I can try to do some research, but it seriously depends on how much do you remember.
Please state here (or PM) the best description of what you know (and what you used) about encrypted wallet.
Please be as verbose as you can.
Crypto Somnium
I have an encrypted wallet with 30 BTC i only know some of the password is there anyway of recovery ?
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
I've had an email exchange with the Hashcat dev and he's looking into it. I'll let you know when I find out more
Crypto Somnium
any news on this ?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
From what I've read on the hashcat forum the dev has just got it to crack a truecrypt and he's adding an AES cipher. As far as I know AES is what wallets use so we might not be too far from running this. I'm no expert on how this stuff works so hopefully someone with more knowledge might jump in but it looks promising. Sort of puts wallet security into question though.

Activity: 434
I should say you need to be running linux. Windows seems to be very slow at this. I just dropped a 7950 into the I7 rig and it doesn't seem to have made much difference to the speed. Anyone know if these scripts benefit from GPU power?

On the 25 gpu rig they use a program called Hashcat. It can run millions of guesses a second on a cpu only rig, billions with a gpu cluster. I emailed the developer to see if it could be used for wallet recovery. Haven't heard back yet. I'll keep you posted if anything develops.

yeha if hash cat was adopted to this ... my god I would set up at 500LTC reward to who ever does it.
 I would provide my wallet address so every one can see the moment my coins moved (moment i finally open it lol) I would transfer 500LTC
I should say you need to be running linux. Windows seems to be very slow at this. I just dropped a 7950 into the I7 rig and it doesn't seem to have made much difference to the speed. Anyone know if these scripts benefit from GPU power?

On the 25 gpu rig they use a program called Hashcat. It can run millions of guesses a second on a cpu only rig, billions with a gpu cluster. I emailed the developer to see if it could be used for wallet recovery. Haven't heard back yet. I'll keep you posted if anything develops.
Here's a zip with a password generator given the password you know. There's a readme inside with instructions and more info.

What it contains:
A java program that generates a bunch of possibilities > Write all the possibilities to a .txt file.
A powershell script that tries these (original by 2112).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43693599/BTC%20LTC%20Passphrase%20Recovery.zip

As for mac users, google: Powershell Mac

does this work on litecoin?

yeha well i am dealing with a 15,000ltc wallet ... guess i can wait till ltc hits $100 (considerring i had this wallet since ltc was 6c its not a big deal) 

At those prices I might just hire a team to get it done if I am still unsuccessful lol
Revalin's script does. I'm running it now. Change the bitcoind lines in the script and its good to go

What kind of speed are you getting? I got a script from another user to help me out but it does 1 try a sec :/ 

I'm getting about 5-8 a second with an i7. I let it run for a couple of days with no luck. Thinking about throwing a 2gh/s mining rig at it as I haven't cracked it yet. I've got 21 7950 gpu's so I'm sure I'll get it eventually, if the price rises enough to put all my rigs on it. I read an article about a 25 gpu monster chucking out 350 billion guesses a second. Theres only 380ish LTC in it so I'm not sure its worth it yet.
Here's a zip with a password generator given the password you know. There's a readme inside with instructions and more info.

What it contains:
A java program that generates a bunch of possibilities > Write all the possibilities to a .txt file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43693599/BTC%20LTC%20Passphrase%20Recovery.zip

Revalin's script does. I'm running it now. Change the bitcoind lines in the script and its good to go

What kind of speed are you getting? I got a script from another user to help me out but it does 1 try a sec :/ 

I'm getting about 5-8 a second with an i7. I let it run for a couple of days with no luck. Thinking about throwing a 2gh/s mining rig at it as I haven't cracked it yet. I've got 21 7950 gpu's so I'm sure I'll get it eventually, if the price rises enough to put all my rigs on it. I read an article about a 25 gpu monster chucking out 350 billion guesses a second. Theres only 380ish LTC in it so I'm not sure its worth it yet.
Activity: 16
if it really was you who put the password the best piece of hardware you can use right now is your brain

relax and try to recreate the whole scenario, time, place, mindset of when you were leaning on the bitcoin client, then put your hands on the keyboard, focus and start trying

hopefully the password will emerge

source: my own experience, I have set up a password on a 50 btc worth wallet. This is how it happened:

It was late night in a hostel, the only computer avaiable, not only a public a PC but I had to use standing up, and, to increase the anxiety level, I was drinking beer. Put the password and shutdown the PC. Then I left the place I was for three days, here is where I needed the password and: WTF?! Wrong password! Don't panic.  At this time the password only existed on my brain, then just said to myself I was going to remeber. I did exactly as I told you above. Took me one day to go back to the place I had set up the password. And two more days acting like "12:01" movie to finally extract it from my mind. The pass was a 12 chars long phrase.

Hope this inspires you. Cheesy
I know this is probably way out there, but I just wanted to say thanks for this. 

I recently was having trouble getting into my LTC wallet and even emailed myself clues as to what the password was.  But I could NOT get in.  I started googling solutions and came across this thread.  I read this post and I admit sorta rolled my eyes.  But figured "why not....what have I got to lose".  Turns out I ended up typing part of my anniversary wrong (even confirmed the date with the wife!  Grin) and it was still wrong.  Finally I said, "I wonder if I typed my daughters BD instead?" which happens to be the same numbers, just different format.  VIOLA.

So thanks for this!  If you accept LTC I'd love to send a few your way! Wink

Also, for anyone else who might be in the same predicament and hopefully save you some time and frustration.  I did quite a bit of googling and I'd guess probably 80% of the password issues people were having were from mistyping it in twice.  I know it seems like it would be difficult to do, but it's way more common than I would have thought.

What it contains:

What it contains:

Activity: 19
Well I just wrote these coins off, for now. My new wallet encrypts and decrypts fine, so it must really have been a typo, I guess. Sad

If anyone wants to have a go at cracking the wallet, PM me. I'll send you the .dat file and what I thought the password was, and if you can
crack it using a script like the one in this thread, you can keep a fraction of the contents of the wallet that seems fair.
Activity: 14
~snip

I have not tested this, but I don't see why not.
Activity: 18
Pages:
Jump to: