Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 24. (Read 213559 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Here's a zip with a password generator given the password you know. There's a readme inside with instructions and more info.

What it contains:
A java program that generates a bunch of possibilities > Write all the possibilities to a .txt file.
A powershell script that tries these (original by 2112).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43693599/BTC%20LTC%20Passphrase%20Recovery.zip

As for mac users, google: Powershell Mac

does this work on litecoin?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Here's a zip with a password generator given the password you know. There's a readme inside with instructions and more info.

What it contains:
A java program that generates a bunch of possibilities > Write all the possibilities to a .txt file.
A powershell script that tries these (original by 2112).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43693599/BTC%20LTC%20Passphrase%20Recovery.zip

As for mac users, google: Powershell Mac

Activity: 19
I feel a moron for this, but I locked myself out of my wallet (w/ about 2.5 BTC in it) today,
right after setting a passphrase. (I use bitcoin-qt.)

I tried all the obvious typing variants of the phrase, and then ran the Ruby script in this thread for an hour or so (basically through depth 2 of all 1-character substitutions into the passphrase I thought I was using).

Anyone have suggestions for next steps? I haven't "forgotten" anything about my passphrase; I even wrote it down "exactly" to store elsewhere for safekeeping. I don't have an unencrypted backup because I am a moron.

I run Ubuntu, but I am still nervous that my system might have been compromised somehow, although that's pretty unlikely. I didn't do anything in particular to secure the system (I don't encrypt my filesystem). I ran a couple of utilities to check for rootkits, but they didn't find anything suspicious.

So... somehow I must have mistyped the passphrase twice in a non-obvious way, which seems extraordinarily unlikely. I tried:
* Case inversion (caps lock)
* Adding punctuation and a space at the end
* All obvious variants for punctuation and capitalization in the passphrase
The script (I think) tried:
* All adjacent character swaps
* All 1-letter character changes
* Most 2-letter character changes

The form of the passphrase is (with capitalization and punctuation)
"Proper Name, Same Name; random word another Word"

Can anyone think of other good typing modifications to try?

If not, can anyone think what could be going on other than a strange repeated typo, or a malicious actor having installed (somehow!) a keylogger on my system and then changing the passphrase? Also I didn't have bitcoind installed at all until today, when I added it to run the Ruby script for brute-forcing the passphrase. Would it even be possible for someone else without physical access to my machine (which I'm fairly certain was safe) to have changed my passphrase with only bitcoin-qt installed on my system?

I've been using a version of bitcoin-qt installed via the Ubuntu package manner roughly 2 months ago (I think), and I have had some issues; once the block data got corrupted and I had to redownload the whole blockchain and start a new wallet, although this was before I owned any bitcoins, so I just moved on.  Could a buggy bitcoin installation have somehow caused my problem? Is it worth installing a new software wallet program and trying to import wallet.dat using that?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Yeah, it would be cool to have Mac instructions Wink
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
Activity: 115
Activity: 93
Merit: 11
Great work going on in this thread, very nice to see you've been able to help people recover lost coins!

I was curious regarding the memory limit, is it necessary to store all possibilities in an array? If the number of possibilities is larger than the memory can contain, couldn't you simply remember the step the password generator algorithm is at, then test all the passwords, wipe the array and restart the password generator algorithm at the remembered point. In this way memory would never be limiting, only the time you're willing to wait.
Also couldn't you apply this method to speed up the cracking in some cases? You generate smaller arrays and test each one as it's finished before generating the next one. This way your script could already return a correct result if the right answer is contained in one of the earlier arrays.
Activity: 60
Every time it adds words from the word list, it places a symbol between them, and it doesn't try to add the words together without anything in them.

I have 4 words, but 7 total because three of them have capitalization variances.

1 symbol.

And between 2-4 numbers randomly in there.

For instance:

When I put that all in (with only "2" as the max number count), it generates ONLY 24 possibly passwords. Minimum 10 char, max 21. It didn't even put in any numbers, and all the potential passwords had 2 symbols in them.

Huh

Well, I found the error. It turns out, that after adding a symbol it would call the function with the algorithm with one less parameter than expected. Instead of throwing an error, powershell defaulted to 0..

Here is a fixed version with a DEBUG mode, which you can enable (will probably make you understand how the passphrases are generated), note that it will slow it down quite a bit as printing takes up quite some time for a computer.

Also added an improvement where if the word is already max length, it will no longer add anything to it (and then find out it's too long anyway).

Sorry about not seeing this mistake :/..

http://pastebin.com/wwuYHzSu

No Problem! Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot now!

Turns out that the array stopped being built @ 300,000 guesses. I know there are more combinations, because I have 4 numbers, a symbol, and 4 words. Is 300,000 a hard limit for arrays?
Activity: 10
I am gratefull to Rahazan. He developed an awsome script for my case. We tried to crack the wallet but seems the password i saved wasn't what i had thought about. Seems i just copypasted the wrong stuff into pw form. Well the sum isn't worth much regret though. Guys be carefull with your passwords! Smiley
Hello Rahazan!
I believe i really need your help with my bitcoin wallet.
I am afraid I am a total noob at computers. I bought some bitcoins - 2.62BTC and encrypted my wallet.
I remember I typed a password on txt file then copypasted it. But on some reasons i can't unblock my wallet now.
Can you please try to use your script and open it? I suggest you to take half of the sum - 1.31 BTC when you succeed on that. I guess it's quite a fair deal.
If you agree I can send you on PM my saved password and bitcoin address and whatever info else you need.
Best regards

Hey there,

The script at the moment is meant for people who forgot a part of their password, or don't know the order of certain parts. I've been thinking of writing a program to generate a list with variations of a given passphrase (one letter in wrong case, extra letter). At the moment the script is not very suitable for doing these kinds of attempts. I'll start writing it, but I'm not making any promises as I'm doing it in my spare time Wink. I guess with a couple of hours I could make a working version.

Regards,
Rahazan

Rahazan let us know how it's going please. I guess in my case it's probably a matter of an extra or missing letter or maybe some of them at the begining or at the end of the password. I used copypaste to create and save password. So i don't think it could be a wrong case. Who knows though!
Hello Rahazan!
I am afraid I am a total noob at computers. I bought some bitcoins - 2.62BTC and encrypted my wallet.
I remember I typed a password on txt file then copypasted it. But on some reasons i can't unblock my wallet now.
Can you please try to use your script and open it? I suggest you to take half of the sum - 1.31 BTC when you succeed on that. I guess it's quite a fair deal.
If you agree I can send you on PM my saved password and bitcoin address and whatever info else you need.
Best regards

Hey there,

The script at the moment is meant for people who forgot a part of their password, or don't know the order of certain parts. I've been thinking of writing a program to generate a list with variations of a given passphrase (one letter in wrong case, extra letter). At the moment the script is not very suitable for doing these kinds of attempts. I'll start writing it, but I'm not making any promises as I'm doing it in my spare time Wink. I guess with a couple of hours I could make a working version.

Regards,
Rahazan
Hello Rahazan!
Best regards
Activity: 63
hello guys,
is it possible to use Capital letters check in Powershell brute force script Huh ?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
decentralize EVERYTHING...

The following is for running a ruby script with Bitcoin-Qt in terminal on OS X 10.8.3, not sure if this works on previous systems.
I'm pretty sure you have to install Ruby on Rails (http://createdbypete.com/articles/ruby-on-rails-development-with-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/)

Open a terminal and run the following to set up bitcoin.conf so that Bitcoin-Qt can operate in server mode. This will allow you to send command lines to it:
Code:
echo "rpcuser=bitcoinrpc" >>  /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
echo "rpcpassword=random password of your choosing" >> /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

Then startup Bitcoin-Qt as a server by entering the following into the terminal:
Code:
/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -server

Once it is up and running, go to the Applications folder and find Bitcoin Qt. Right click on the app and choose "Show Package Contents." Open the "Contents" folder and copy your .rb script into "MacOs" folder. IMPORTANT: Make sure you edit within the .rb script "rpcuser" and "rpcpassword" to reflect the info from your bitcoin.conf file.

Open a new terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt

once there do:
Code:
ruby brute.rb
(assuming the script name is brute.rb)

and you should get to crackin... hope this helps any mac users out there.
Every time it adds words from the word list, it places a symbol between them, and it doesn't try to add the words together without anything in them.

I have 4 words, but 7 total because three of them have capitalization variances.

1 symbol.

For instance:

When I put that all in (with only "2" as the max number count), it generates ONLY 24 possibly passwords. Minimum 10 char, max 21. It didn't even put in any numbers, and all the potential passwords had 2 symbols in them.

Huh

Well, I found the error. It turns out, that after adding a symbol it would call the function with the algorithm with one less parameter than expected. Instead of throwing an error, powershell defaulted to 0..

Here is a fixed version with a DEBUG mode, which you can enable (will probably make you understand how the passphrases are generated), note that it will slow it down quite a bit as printing takes up quite some time for a computer.

Also added an improvement where if the word is already max length, it will no longer add anything to it (and then find out it's too long anyway).

No Problem! Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot now!

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh

Activity: 9

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh

I am experiencing similar. I have six words that I mixed to create a pass phrase. I can't get the Power Shell code to flip-flop all the possibilities of the words after I enter them in. It computes very few possibilities. If it did mix them up, I believe I would have success, but I don't have a clue on how to get it to do what I want it to do... Maybe an adjustment can be made somehow... It would be greatly appreciated!

1 symbol.

For instance:

Huh
Any luck?

Not yet, it's still calculating possibilities! Smiley I may have set a parameter wrong.

Does it calculate every position for the symbol, words, and numbers? I ran it once, it didn't find it. Sad I changed some parameters, I think it'll hit it!

Well yes, it should create every possible order of the elements you put into each of the arrays.. I am afraid your password is simply not what you think it is?

Well, it actually isn't working.... it is adding two symbols to most configurations, and then when I have 4 words (which I used them all as parts) it adds symbols to to each word it adds?
Pages:
Jump to: