Author

Topic: error - page 118. (Read 360500 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
January 12, 2014, 02:56:48 PM
RPC is on the rise 0.24 and going up
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1132
January 12, 2014, 02:37:39 PM

there's a difference between mine dumping, and market manipulation pump and dump. The current coin is free from the latter and will create regular intervals to buy up cheap coin and then watch their value increase as the difficulty rises. This will cause a volatile but generally upward trend in value. And as the coin increases in value, it will become profitable to mine it at all times as the curves level. This combined with scarcity makes it resistant to market manipulation pump and dump since its more difficult to do when there's not an unreasonably  large amount of coins to do so with...ostensibly.

There is absolutely nothing here that makes market manipulation pump & dump any harder than it is with any other coin. 

The diff adjustments thing is protection from mine & dump rather than pump & dump.  I think that such protection would be a good thing, but if you like big price swings, wildly varying hash rates, and block times that vary by a factor of hundreds, you don't have to agree.

The idea that having a smaller number of coins in any way inconveniences market manipulation is just false.  If 20% of the market moves, it has the same effect whether that's ten million coins or a hundred.  If you shift the decimal point a few places right or left, the numbers, though bigger or smaller, are still all the same in terms of percentages.  And the pump & dump game, unfortunately, runs on percentages, not absolute numbers.

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1132
January 12, 2014, 02:26:37 PM
Newb question but would a hard fork erase or somehow invalidate already mined coins?

this! ANYONE?

Depends on whether the coins are mined before or after the fork and whether you're using the new fork when you mine them.

All coins produced before a hard fork are safe; they will exist on both sides of the split. 

However, if you keep mining on the old fork after the split, the coins you mine after that point will cease to exist when the old fork ceases to exist. Or if you make a transaction with someone on the old fork after the split, that transaction will be erased from history when the old fork ceases to exist.  This is why it's in your best interest to have the new client (and thus mine on the new fork) starting instantly when the split happens.
January 12, 2014, 02:18:56 PM
well i expect a rise in the price before the diff changes

and then a day later it will be a dumpfest price back down 0.015 ish
Activity: 28
January 12, 2014, 02:07:08 PM
63 blocks to go, we can do it! give it up for the loyal miners including my self of course we mine rpc 4 life Tongue

59!!

Preparing for battle on http://rpc.pooljunkie.nl! We've withstand the test last time when we tool on 600 workers and 1000mhs!!

Are you up for the task? Hit 'm high and join the pooljunkie crew!!
January 12, 2014, 01:32:30 PM
Something needs to be done or this coin is dead either way
Activity: 3
January 12, 2014, 01:21:07 PM
Whoa, if next diff retarget occurs, we're gonna get ~9.2 diff... Thats insanely low. Thus inviting the termite plague called multipool right in our faces.

There's been so many suggestions as to how to solve this problem, I think the time has come for the devs to pick one. Because when things stay the same i'm not going to 'carry' the mining labour everytime the multipool swarm skyrockets the diff.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
January 12, 2014, 01:11:45 PM
63 blocks to go, we can do it! give it up for the loyal miners including my self of course we mine rpc 4 life Tongue
Activity: 22
January 12, 2014, 12:56:47 PM
I have been thinking of something..  What would happen if you simply fixed the difficulty at say 25 or something.  So as to not have a pre-determined rate of release.  This would be self regulating.  Or as more and more coins are mined, the difficulty goes slightly up until the very last few coins the diff is around 10x harder.  So a difficulty depending on which block is being mined.  

Think about it.  In real life if you are mining gold, It won't get harder to mine your claim if your neighbor is also mining that day.  The value of gold may go up or down because of it, which would provide incentive for more miners yet, but these crazy difficulty changes makes it so people stop/start mining all the time.  

In my opinion this would stabilize the currency, more like gold, and encourage investors to put their money in RPC.  More predictable.

Fix the difficulty and you might see people come to stay.  That's when you will see happy investors and long term miners.

Just a thought, not sure if it's a good one, but what do you think?

This theory would not work, the reason the difficulty has to go up with hashing power is because if it didn't, all the coins would be mined long before the intended lifespan of mining for the coin. That is why all crypto currencies must be able to scale the difficulty up or down with the amount of miners, that way roughly the same amount of coins are mined every year.
Activity: 113
Merit: 100
January 12, 2014, 12:38:22 PM
I have been thinking of something..  What would happen if you simply fixed the difficulty at say 25 or something.  So as to not have a pre-determined rate of release.  This would be self regulating.  Or as more and more coins are mined, the difficulty goes slightly up until the very last few coins the diff is around 10x harder.  So a difficulty depending on which block is being mined.  

Think about it.  In real life if you are mining gold, It won't get harder to mine your claim if your neighbor is also mining that day.  The value of gold may go up or down because of it, which would provide incentive for more miners yet, but these crazy difficulty changes makes it so people stop/start mining all the time.  

In my opinion this would stabilize the currency, more like gold, and encourage investors to put their money in RPC.  More predictable.

Fix the difficulty and you might see people come to stay.  That's when you will see happy investors and long term miners.

Just a thought, not sure if it's a good one, but what do you think?
Activity: 22
January 12, 2014, 11:31:14 AM
wether community comes together and invests into a big big mining farm to be free from free decision miners or you have to fork it.

No miners, no new blocks, no transactions , no trading - coin no longer exists

For me it looks like some investors do not understand how mining, nethashrate, blocktimes and diffi works together

Does any investor care about that BTC also was forked in past. NO - a investor even do not now what it is

DEV, if you do not have access to a big minig farm do that what you have to do - FORK
You really think that this coin can have a Hard Fork without affecting investor confidence? I am open to an explanation. Sincerely, you think everything will be like it never happened? Educate me.

I don't understand whats with all the "Inverstors will loose confidence if forked" talk when it seems to make sense to fork it if you understand everything. At first I was against it too, but the more I read and understood about it it makes perfect sense to do it.

From the point of view of the "Investors" there are two main reasons I can think that they invest in it, 1 being the fact that its called Ron Paul Coin and is meant to represent/uphold Ron Paul and will get a lot of media attention and support from Ron Paul Supporters, 2 being that the title on the OP said "Safe from pump and dump". The second one we have clearly seen is not the case, and it actually appears to be more vulnerable to it....So if forking it is only going to make it more safe from pump and dump..and the principles and idea behind the coin remain the same, then investors should feel MORE secure to invest in it! Once it gets put on cryptsy,coinex, vircurex, etc... the problem would only get worse, and forking it then would be worse also. So lets get it done now and have it all sorted out BEFORE a bunch more people get invested into it.
Well thought out response. You could be right. In light of everything that we have said to the contrary, however, its a big risk. And does not this big risk only benefit mining profitability if taken? And with what consequence?

Now, I am not saying that the following postulation is my opinion, necessarily...but wouldn't that open the door for people to say and think, "RPC started off great with no premine...then when the creators realized they couldn't mine enough for themselves, they Hard Forked, changing the fundamental structure to gather some before investors came in." Would they not then also be able to say and think, "This a coin whose dynamics will change at the whim of the creators as they see fit for their profit strategy, completely undermining the basis upon which its inception was predicated."

Again, I'm not saying this is my opinion...I'm saying, based on what I have seen with other alts, that a hard fork is breeding ground for this kind of opinion to flourish. Wouldn't you agree?

And, again, I do appreciate your thoughtful response.

I understand what you're saying and I can see why some investors might think that, but an investor that is well educated in crypto will also know that without miners there is no coins to buy and no network to support it. And like others have said the fork isn't to change how many coins are gotten for the block reward or how many coins there are total, just changes the diff re-target time/percent, originally the OP intended it to be 2 min block times, not 15+ minute times. The Fork is more to correct a mistake so that the coin will behave as intended. Right now the only reason the block times aren't even way longer than they are is because of the believers in the coin and Ron Paul supporter miners. But if something isn't done soon I think even a majority of those miners would leave because a majority of the time it would not be profitable to mine the coin and then the block times on the high diff would take weeks.

Lets face it, before RPC came along I bet 90% of the miners out there were mining which ever coin they thought to be most profitable for whatever their strategy is, not necessarily because "they believe in the coin" But now RPC comes along and changes the game a little bit and miners see something that represents a person they believe in and support, So they're willing to stick it out for a while...a while, but not forever.  Just my 2 satoshies Smiley
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem
January 12, 2014, 07:45:36 AM
Now, I am not saying that the following postulation is my opinion, necessarily...but wouldn't that open the door for people to say and think, "RPC started off great with no premine...then when the creators realized they couldn't mine enough for themselves, they Hard Forked, changing the fundamental structure to gather some before investors came in." Would they not then also be able to say and think, "This a coin whose dynamics will change at the whim of the creators as they see fit for their profit strategy, completely undermining the basis upon which its inception was predicated."
oh for crying out loud! would you stop it with this nonsense already?
changing the diff retarget doesn't affect any fundamental structure of anything (it's not changing algorithm, block reward or total supply, not even block time), it will only help the coin short and long term since right at this moment the network is very weak (if any multipool wanted to pull a 51% trick could do so), so short term it will help secure the network by making sure everyone else stays mining RPC when a multipool leaves, long term is gaining the trust of investors knowing that the RPC network is secure.

Just look at these horrid block times, the network is stagnated with blocks that should be taking 2 minutes but are instead taking 17 (and getting worse every minute). Think how worse it will get when the diff lowers to 9-ish on next retarget, the network gets pounded by an influx of several gigahashes and they leave again at what? diff 120? 140? we don't know, all that we know is that the situation we got today will become even worse.
Activity: 252
January 12, 2014, 07:42:41 AM
weekend crash on RPC get some cheap coins

I put my buys in!  Grin

RPC for .019? Cheap cheap cheap...
Activity: 3
January 12, 2014, 07:29:03 AM
I've been following this thread shortly after it was created and I've been trying to keep up but the posts go so fast it's hard to keep up if you're unable to visit the forums for 5-8 hours Tongue

Anyways, just out of curiousity, isn't it somehow possible to deny people the right/means/privileges/whatever to mine this coin (beit solo or via a pool)?
I mean, looking at the issue we're currently having, it's really a pain in the ass that as soon as the diff gets retargeted (which shouldn't take too long anymore), billions of miners will happily come back and mine the shit out of it. I've been mining this coin continuously @rpc.muchhash.com ever since about a week and a half before newyear. Despite all the diff retargets and doubts about this coin I kept mining. It's only 1.4 Mh/s, but still.
Isn't it somehow possible to introduce some kind of system that forces you to mine a particular coin (RPC in this case) for x amount of hours before any diff retarget or something?
Or, after a diff retarget, only the miners that were already mining between this retarget and the previous one, are allowed to mine?
Or is this technically simply unpossible?

Just some wild thoughts, I know Tongue But was just wondering if this is even possible, regardless of all the political, market and all other consequences.
January 12, 2014, 07:28:09 AM
weekend crash on RPC get some cheap coins
January 12, 2014, 05:16:02 AM
I believe Coin ex and cryptsy are trying to hash out their security problems right now - which is why many coins are waiting to get on them.

I think they will be done with the security updates within this week, and we will see our coin up there then, at least on coin ex.

coinex guys said yesterday they dont want to add coins too fast and that they probably wont be adding anything in 1-2 weeks
Activity: 420
January 12, 2014, 04:28:55 AM
I believe Coin ex and cryptsy are trying to hash out their security problems right now - which is why many coins are waiting to get on them.

I think they will be done with the security updates within this week, and we will see our coin up there then, at least on coin ex.
Activity: 45
January 12, 2014, 04:28:37 AM
All I have to say regarding the fork: If you do it, do it one time, be damn sure to do it right, and be done.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
see my profile
January 12, 2014, 03:15:28 AM
If more coins experience the hard fork problem, perhaps a future qt client should have an update-alert function.

Just because not everyone who has downloaded the client and just wants to use it, will be following the forums.
Activity: 28
January 12, 2014, 02:10:21 AM
Ok; cheers for the quick replies guys.

In that case I would expect there to be a fairly large gap in blocks before the fork takes place and announcement after announcement after announcement.

We'd also need pool-operators to be right on the ball too; both with updating their pools and putting an announcement on their dashboard.

If (when) this is going to be done; it needs to be done right!!!

I see who I assume is the pool-operator of rpc.pooljunkie.nl on here every day being active in the forum and discussion; so frankly I know he's on the ball and knows what he's doing; personally I will be sticking to that pool.

@myrinx: can you please confirm you are indeed the pool-operator? if so, man I'm sticking with you!

I am indeed the op and waiting for the New code Wink thanks for being loyal!!

You can see that it extremely hard right now to find blocks compared to a few days ago
Jump to: