Author

Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet - page 247. (Read 965789 times)

Activity: 441
Merit: 266
Just curious on the progress with Trezor.
We are working our asses off, that's why we haven't posted for a while. Unfortunately, Trezor is not our only project, so it takes some time. Stay tuned and please be patient.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Just curious on the progress with Trezor.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Smartphones can achieve their absurdly low prices because they are mass produced and it's a highly competitive market. Obviously something that is hand assembled by stick and slush is going to be more expensive. Fortunately, if the initial runs are proven out and demand is there, doing a larger production run in China is well within the reach of even small operations and then the price can come down. 100 euros for a first run is actually better than I was expecting, though I noticed stick/slush didn't confirm that price.

However, yes, the basic point does hold and I made it many times in the past - it is tough to beat smartphones on price and features, so I think we'll see them be used as second factors quite a lot.

A dedicated hardware wallet/secure display has the advantage of not being reflashable to a malicious OS build which steals private keys. I don't know of any way to buy a smartphone, reflash the OS and then prevent it from being reflashed again. Theoretically manufacturers could offer that feature but in practice they don't because there are no uses for it.

The other advantage is that because they don't run apps and are very limited, there's no temptation for users to install random crap on them. The most likely way to get keys held in a smartphone stolen is by giving into temptation and making it not a dedicated device anymore, then installing a malicious app that roots it. That can't happen with a Trezor.

legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
Price should be around € 100, but it still depends on many factors, what I read on a blog.
Ouch, that seems a little expensive. I mean, can't you buy old smartphones with that amount? Or perhaps second-hand netbooks that you could format and turn into an offline wallet.
100 € is definitely NOT expensive!
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Smartphones have wifi, 3G support, GPS, colored touchscreen with higher resolution, powerful battery etc.

...and closed source firmware?
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
i don't think that's true. Google for example cryptostick which does pgp signing and encryption afaik

cryptostick has no display.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Trezor is more than just a bitcoin device. Isn't it really the first stand alone secure digital encryption signature device? It is a prototype of what will one day be a common appliance.

i don't think that's true. Google for example cryptostick which does pgp signing and encryption afaik
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Price should be around € 100, but it still depends on many factors, what I read on a blog.

Ouch, that seems a little expensive. I mean, can't you buy old smartphones with that amount? Or perhaps second-hand netbooks that you could format and turn into an offline wallet.
if you ask these questions then you didnt understand this project very well.

Well, AFAIK it has two buttons, a low-resolution monochromatic screen, and probably a processor weaker than that of any smartphone. Smartphones have wifi, 3G support, GPS, colored touchscreen with higher resolution, powerful battery etc. There's also the Raspberry Pi: a much more powerful hardware for one quarter of that amount. (OK, I do realize the Raspberry Pi is exceptional in terms of cost/benefits, so this comparison might not be the fairest)

I also understand this won't be produced industrially in China, so we can expect a higher price. But 100€ just seem too much, that's all.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null

if you ask these questions then you didnt understand this project very well.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Activity: 743
Merit: 500
And what would be the price ?
Activity: 100
Merit: 10
And what would be the price ?
Activity: 530
Where can I order one? Smiley
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Trezor is more than just a bitcoin device. Isn't it really the first stand alone secure digital encryption signature device? It is a prototype of what will one day be a common appliance.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Thanks for the update, exciting! I threw another coin your way. Keep going! Trezor is going to be the key advance that makes Bitcoin more secure than the best available banks.
PCBs for Raspberry Pi (left) and for the Trezor itself (right) arrived yesterday! \o/

Activity: 743
I presume they will be coming to the UK from the Czech Republic - that's where you guys are aren't you ?

PCBs are made in the Czech Rep as well.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
Great !

Will do. PM sent.
I presume they will be coming to the UK from the Czech Republic - that's where you guys are aren't you ?

There is all the Java BIP32 wallet work to do as well but I figure it is worth derisking the low level communications first.

I do all my dev on a Mac put I think I will pick up a Windows laptop to test hardware compatibility on that too.
80% of my downloads are to a Windows machine so I presume the Trezor usage will be similar.

Jim
On the desktop software front, I think I should have some free time in February to start work on Trezor integration.
It would be good to get started on the code that talks via USB.
Are the RaspPi shields with the emulator available now ?

We should have first RasPi shields in our hands in a week or too. Then we have to perform some tests. Please, send your address to slush as PM, so we have it, once we are ready to ship! :-)
Jump to: