Pages:
Author

Topic: EUROPEAN BITCOIN CONFERENCE 2011, PRAGUE NOV 25-27 - page 3. (Read 94469 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
(I sense the marketing direction will be less about bitcoin as money (enemy: USD) and more about bitcoin as a payment system (enemy: paypal))
very true.  Bitcoin is not a threat to the dollar.  Bitcoin is a threat to the Banks and their stupid fees!

The bank is dead. Long live the new bank!

As I've said before, Bitcoin can only be a threat to banks if it is a threat to the dollar. If not, then whatever service is used to store a dollar balance and convert it to bitcoins and back for every transaction, is in fact the new bank and will suffer from all the problems of existing banks.

I don't disagree with the principle though, widespread adoption of Bitcoin will probably start with using it as a payment mechanism while only holding a small amount of it at any given time.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1008
(I sense the marketing direction will be less about bitcoin as money (enemy: USD) and more about bitcoin as a payment system (enemy: paypal))
very true.  Bitcoin is not a threat to the dollar.  Bitcoin is a threat to the Banks and their stupid fees!
Yes…and it's the foolishness of politicians and bureaucrats that are a threat to the dollar.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

very true.  Bitcoin is not a threat to the dollar.  Bitcoin is a threat to the Banks and their stupid fees!
Activity: 742
Stacy, Max and Richard talk in Paris, partly about Bitcoin and the Conference.

Stacy seems genuinly impressed by having actually used bitcoin (thanks to Tony of bit-pay for making that happen!)

Here's a quote from http://ia700801.us.archive.org/5/items/MaxKeiserRadio-TheTruthAboutMarkets-03December2011/TaM-031211.mp3 (start listen at 31:30 for bitcoin):

Quote from: stacy herbert
Now, that's the thing that I really learned at the Bitcoin Conference. Now, I guess I got a little bit confused by a lot of the trolls and propaganda out there who don't understand, because, a lot of shreekers, who actually haven't used bitcoin. Now I assumed, like they, at a certain point, you know, people are like: 'it's a ponzy scheme!'. But what it is: it's a unit of transaction. If you've actually ever used it, you can see the simplicity of using it just to friggin' purchase something, not to speculate and hope to flip it to somebody at a greater price. You just convert your currency that day to whatever... there's some place that'll convert it to gold for you, you can convert it to euros, swiss franks, dollars, whatever you want.

exactly.  forget trying to explain what it is or how it works.  just show someone how to use it!  ask what kind of phone they have, and then set them up with a wallet.  send them one bitcoin, and show them how to send it back to you.  
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Stacy, Max and Richard talk in Paris, partly about Bitcoin and the Conference.

Stacy seems genuinly impressed by having actually used bitcoin (thanks to Tony of bit-pay for making that happen!)

Here's a quote from http://ia700801.us.archive.org/5/items/MaxKeiserRadio-TheTruthAboutMarkets-03December2011/TaM-031211.mp3 (start listen at 31:30 for bitcoin):

Quote from: stacy herbert
Now, that's the thing that I really learned at the Bitcoin Conference. Now, I guess I got a little bit confused by a lot of the trolls and propaganda out there who don't understand, because, a lot of shreekers, who actually haven't used bitcoin. Now I assumed, like they, at a certain point, you know, people are like: 'it's a ponzy scheme!'. But what it is: it's a unit of transaction. If you've actually ever used it, you can see the simplicity of using it just to friggin' purchase something, not to speculate and hope to flip it to somebody at a greater price. You just convert your currency that day to whatever... there's some place that'll convert it to gold for you, you can convert it to euros, swiss franks, dollars, whatever you want.

Activity: 137
Merit: 100
One week later and close to nothing released ?

unfortunately ive been a bit snowed under, hopefully today i should be able to get 1 done.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
One week later and close to nothing released ?

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Cameron Garnham is da2ce7
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.

Cameron Garnham: Open transactions project has a marketing problem. I don't get what it is useful for, and I didn't understand that after the presentation. I unfedstood that with their technology you can currently issue centralized "tokens". The vision is de-centralized, however I don't understand how that could be achieved. And generally I don't really understand what the open-transactions project is practically useful for. More practical examples, please!

If I understood it correctly, it is a common protocol for issuing centralized tokens for anything. The idea is that people can exchange different tokens, from different issuers, digitally, using the same protocol.
I also don't know much about Open Transaction, I would need to learn more. I wonder if with alternative chains and merged mining we couldn't actually completely decentralize the double-spend verification part of the Open Transaction protocol, making it less centralized. It is inherently centralized anyway, since we're talking about token issuers.

Open-Transactions vs. the "typical centralized system"
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.255411

I recommend the agorist radio interview.

I think Open Transactions will do a lot for Bitcoin. 

( Is Cameron Garnham fellowtraveler? )

Activity: 530
I'm allowed to up more teasers.

http://youtu.be/IavQ-Wc8S1U - Clemens Cap about electronic bitcoin wallet at EuroBit

you guys have any wishes for the next one?

A max keiser teaser would be awesome.
donator
I'm allowed to up more teasers.

http://youtu.be/IavQ-Wc8S1U - Clemens Cap about electronic bitcoin wallet at EuroBit

you guys have any wishes for the next one?

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
I never understood as a kid, why everybody wanted to work so badly. It seemed so much more attractive to just play all day.
Maybe we should, as a global society, rethink some stuff from the ground up, and talk to children in the process, they might have some good ideas Wink
+1 !
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Simon Dixon: mostly boring pro-banking stuff.
This guy needs to learn some economics. His take on "free things cause unemployment" was so wrong... He could start reading some Bastiat; http://bastiat.org/en/petition.html
Yeah, he's a luddite. Though in his defense I do sympathize with a related sentiment - while it's great when people offer free stuff, it's bad when people demand to be given stuff for free. This dries up the incentives to create high-quality products and services, and the people end up with free stuff worth exactly what they paid for them.

I never understood as a kid, why everybody wanted to work so badly. It seemed so much more attractive to just play all day.

Maybe we should, as a global society, rethink some stuff from the ground up, and talk to children in the process, they might have some good ideas Wink

Or just invite me on literally every project in the community. Everyone who works with me pretty much says it's like working with a 12 year old. Wait...
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com

This guy needs to learn some economics. His take on "free things cause unemployment" was so wrong...

Oh! That was his quote? Guess then I will have to edit my summary a bit as that part I totally disagreed with, too.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
while it's great when people offer free stuff, it's bad when people demand to be given stuff for free.

I fully agree there.
donator
This guy needs to learn some economics. His take on "free things cause unemployment" was so wrong... He could start reading some Bastiat; http://bastiat.org/en/petition.html
Yeah, he's a luddite. Though in his defense I do sympathize with a related sentiment - while it's great when people offer free stuff, it's bad when people demand to be given stuff for free. This dries up the incentives to create high-quality products and services, and the people end up with free stuff worth exactly what they paid for them.

donator
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Cameron Garnham: Open transactions project has a marketing problem. I don't get what it is useful for, and I didn't understand that after the presentation. I unfedstood that with their technology you can currently issue centralized "tokens". The vision is de-centralized, however I don't understand how that could be achieved. And generally I don't really understand what the open-transactions project is practically useful for. More practical examples, please!

If I understood it correctly, it is a common protocol for issuing centralized tokens for anything. The idea is that people can exchange different tokens, from different issuers, digitally, using the same protocol.
I also don't know much about Open Transaction, I would need to learn more. I wonder if with alternative chains and merged mining we couldn't actually completely decentralize the double-spend verification part of the Open Transaction protocol, making it less centralized. It is inherently centralized anyway, since we're talking about token issuers.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
I must have been stuck in a strange wormhole timewarp thingy where what I heard from Simon's talk was different from everyone else. To me it seems he put banks in the same category as killing people and the planet, and criticized their fractional reserve and lending policies.

Jason Chia: This guy was definitely in the wrong place. Goverments buying all the bitcoins?
The "governments buying bitcoins" part isn't that far-fetched. It was the "and then deleting them" that was silly.

That's the ultimate troll though. I'm tempted to myself....

While Bitcoin allows for such a ridiculous concept, it deserves to be tested.
donator
I must have been stuck in a strange wormhole timewarp thingy where what I heard from Simon's talk was different from everyone else. To me it seems he put banks in the same category as killing people and the planet, and criticized their fractional reserve and lending policies.

Jason Chia: This guy was definitely in the wrong place. Goverments buying all the bitcoins?
The "governments buying bitcoins" part isn't that far-fetched. It was the "and then deleting them" that was silly.
Pages:
Jump to: