Pages:
Author

Topic: Eventually the FUNGIBILITY issue of bitcoin will make headlines ... - page 13. (Read 10576 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 251
Bitcoin is perfectly fungible. Anyone who claims otherwise is confusing economic concepts.

we already had this discussion.
maybe bitcoin is technically fungible (because any coin can always be send an mixed) but practically you have problems when using coins which where stolen (eg bitstamp hack) or why do you think new minted coins are sold with a premium?

Indeed, and as you explain we have established that Bitcoin is "technically fungible" which is really all that matters. Fungibility is a property inherent to a system. It is not dependent on human preferences.

well we need to agree to disagree then.
i want to use money without thinking about thefts or checking its history.
it doesnt help me if is "technically fungible" when i cant use it that way.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
Bitcoin is perfectly fungible. Anyone who claims otherwise is confusing economic concepts.

Let's imagine I have some coins that I stole during Evolution's demise. Are you willing to swap all of your coins for mine?

Or put differently: if I borrow your car for a month, and at the end of that month I give you back the same make, same model, same year, same colour car, is that ok?

Bitcoin isn't fungible for the same reason that you won't appreciate me giving you some random car in exchange for yours, regardless of the properties of that car.

Absolutely.

The car analogy is asinine. Cars are not fungible.

maybe bitcoin is technically fungible (because any coin can always be send an mixed) but practically you have problems when using coins which where stolen (eg bitstamp hack) or why do you think new minted coins are sold with a premium?

Indeed, and as you explain we have established that Bitcoin is "technically fungible" which is really all that matters. Fungibility is a property inherent to a system. It is not dependent on human preferences.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

I can draw and deface a bank note, does that make fiat not "perfectly fungible"?

imagine this:
 - you payed in a store with that dollar
 - the store get robbed and the owner got killed
 - one employee remebered this dollar was still there
 - news reports this with an image with that dollar

is this dollar still fungible or will the thief has problems paying with it?

Assuming the merchant that may accept it is paying attention to the bills coming in...yes they would have problems paying with it.

Most people aren't paying attention to the serial numbers on their bills.

It's not accessible for many to lookup which serial numbers of bills were tied to a specific crime/theft.

luckily in this example mallard made it easy by drawing an image on the dollar and made it unique and easy to remember Wink
legendary

wow really? lol

here is the definition of the economic concept of FUNGIBILITY:
definition: Fungibility is the property of a good or a commodity whose individual units are capable of mutual substitution. That is, it is the property of essences or goods which are "capable of being substituted in place of one another."

You sure you want to claim that it is "perfectly fungible"?

If someone decides not to accept some bitcoins vs other bitcoins ....then it is no longer "perfectly fungible".

I can draw and deface a bank note, does that make fiat not "perfectly fungible"?

imagine this:

Assuming the merchant that may accept it is paying attention to the bills coming in...yes they would have problems paying with it.

Most people aren't paying attention to the serial numbers on their bills.

It's not accessible for many to lookup which serial numbers of bills were tied to a specific crime/theft.
legendary

wow really? lol

definition: Fungibility is the property of a good or a commodity whose individual units are capable of mutual substitution. That is, it is the property of essences or goods which are "capable of being substituted in place of one another."

If someone decides not to accept some bitcoins vs other bitcoins ....then it is no longer "perfectly fungible".

Are we talking about fiat? No.

We are talking about bitcoin.

But to address your issue let's discuss it...

No one said fiat was perfectly fungible. I never said it for sure. But I do see that if you stole fiat from someone let's name them James. James loses money to a thief named Jamal.

Jamal now can do what he wants with the cash and no one really knows where the cash went (assuming there are no list of serial numbers that James claims he had on the bills).

But problem with that is not many of the public will go through the effort to look up the serial numbers of bills they are receiving as payment from Jamal. Too cumbersome.

Therefore fiat is more fungible than bitcoin in terms of functionality.

If you do the same thing with bitcoin with James having Jamal steal his bitcoin...well now you have the block chain that is public and accessible to anyone on the internet and you can track where those coins go.

See the problem?

wow really? lol

imagine this:

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

wow really? lol

legendary
Eventually the FUNGIBILITY issue of bitcoin will make headlines and will be in article titles in the press. <--------------- Smoothie Prediction    

Just a fun prediction I'm making before it happens on a much more apparent scale.

Right now the focus is "BLOCK SIZE"....that will change...

And don't forget what will happen afterwards...

what happens?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
legendary

My point exactly. You can mix them, but in the end someone is going to end up with coins from a theft (assuming they were stolen in some form or fashion).
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Let's imagine I have some coins that I stole during Evolution's demise. Are you willing to swap all of your coins for mine?

Or put differently: if I borrow your car for a month, and at the end of that month I give you back the same make, same model, same year, same colour car, is that ok?

Bitcoin isn't fungible for the same reason that you won't appreciate me giving you some random car in exchange for yours, regardless of the properties of that car.

legendary

wow really? lol

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Eventually the FUNGIBILITY issue of bitcoin will make headlines and will be in article titles in the press. <--------------- Smoothie Prediction   

Just a fund prediction I'm making before it happens on a much more apparent scale.

Right now the focus is "BLOCK SIZE"....that will change...

I don't think its a road that regulators can make much headway into because of mixers.
Taint is going to happen.

legendary
The potential lack thereof?

There haven't been many or any legal precedents set so far. When they do it'll either be reassuring or there'll be some good old panic. The fact that each jurisdiction can't decide what it actually is isn't helping.

yes the lack of fungibility.

when one steals coins or scams bitcoins from users/customers and you can trace it, that does imply the possibility that merchants/exchanges/payment processors etc will not accept tainted bitcoins. Some will and some won't...

Some miners may not process transactions from certain addresses if they get enough pressure from their regulators (locally) to not do it, implying it is "illegal" to do so.
Pages:
Jump to: