Pages:
Author

Topic: Everything is an investment-change my mind - page 10. (Read 1488 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 281
November 30, 2018, 12:14:30 AM
I constantly here people say " Only invest what you can afford to lose"  Well no matter where your wealth is it could crash.

-Invest in USD- USA could collapse and experience mass inflation making your dollars nearly worthless
-Invest in Bonds- Government could collapse making your bonds worthless
-Invest in real estate- Housing prices could crash, natural disaster could hit and insurance company could go bankrupt
-Invest in metals- prices could crash, asteroid mining could collapse prices

Your money is never 100% safe no matter where it is invested.
There are a lot of advantages and opportunities that we can get from making investment with crypto. It is the reason why I allocated 20% of my salary to make investment. It is risky but I know that my investments are worth it.
Activity: 1428
Merit: 358
November 30, 2018, 12:01:51 AM
We should keep making investment for us to beat the inflation! There are a lot of investment that are really worth it. Cryptocurrency investment is one of the best investment that we can do but it is very risky due to its volatility.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
November 29, 2018, 10:48:44 PM
I think you can make everything into an investment. however, you have to think about investment in the future, the price will be quite high. one of the definite investments is gold. well, lots of investments like that, even houses can also be used as investments.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 500
November 29, 2018, 10:44:25 PM
When we call something as investment it is never 100% safe.Even from the wikipedia the meaning of investment says buying some asset with the idae that the price of that asset will increase in the future so we can sell them at high price to make profits.

But not all the predictions by the people will come true so investment is also called risking our money to make more money.
All investments and all types of growing money have a risk, thats why there is a statement that "dont invest you can afford to lose.
because your investment can be broke, even if the investment is safe, it can harm you if you are not smart in managing it..
Activity: 1085
Merit: 500
hi =D
November 29, 2018, 04:58:44 PM
invest all your assets and go allin, but the risk always has, goes from the head of each person, and your psychological will have to know how to lose little, a lot or all of your investment!
Activity: 1666
Merit: 753
November 29, 2018, 03:58:20 PM
And that's why diversification of these risks is such as big deal.

That includes hedging against your existing positions by taking on other positions in different sectors, etc.

You're absolutely right, though. I find that it is common for someone to assume that fiat is going to hold its value, when it really has not in the past, and probably won't in the future. Even gold bugs who are historically obsessed with holding gold no matter what, they are likely missing out on larger profits.

If you expose yourself to just one of these asset classes, even cash, you could be serious trouble if things go south in the short run and you're in need of liquidity. When you're managing your personal finance, it does help to think of anything as an investment, because it really is. You're always trying to outpace growth in other possible investments you can make.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
November 27, 2018, 10:10:31 PM
It's true there is always risk whenever you invest on something, but there are small and big risk, and this is the point where you need to analyse and doing the research, the priority of investment is different for every one, some of them expect more stable but low ROI, some prefer fast and more risky investment, so each investment got a different risk and profit
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
November 27, 2018, 09:32:43 PM
I constantly here people say " Only invest what you can afford to lose"  Well no matter where your wealth is it could crash.

Its because this saying is really true. However, there are people who wanted more but they tend to not understand how everything works. They over reach but the downside is that they don't have enough money to survived or bring food in the table. Very wrong.

Agree. At the long run if you don't know how to mitigate risk then eventually your money will simply disappear. Learn how to play in this game, balance your portfolio, diversify, learn from past mistakes, don't buy the hype and of course don't be greedy. There are a lot of safe-guards against potential lost and you need to apply it whenever its possible.
Activity: 759
Merit: 105
November 27, 2018, 05:32:14 PM
Everything we invested has always a risk of either winning or losing and you can't choose whatever you want to them. It is upon on the market on how it will interact with the community such as bitcoins or products, but if you were on the bottom on the list, expect that you will be played by the people at the top.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 509
November 27, 2018, 05:25:38 PM

-Invest in USD- USA could collapse and experience mass inflation making your dollars nearly worthless
-Invest in real estate- Housing prices could crash, natural disaster could hit and insurance company could go bankrupt

If there is earnings there is also a risk of losing and their interest is always equal to each other. For example the chance to gain in the cryptocurrency is equal to the chance of losing and that is why people say " Only invest what you can afford to lose". Because the risk of losing is huge and if you had invested all the money in the crypto last year, you would have drunk plenty of cold water now.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1398
For support ➡️ help.bc.game
November 27, 2018, 04:06:09 PM

That's the challenge, manage properly the investment along the way.

Yes money is not 100% safe but why we have a thing called "successful investments" ?

There's no easy money no matter how potential the investment is. If our mindset will just stick to the idea that everything is risky and bound to crash, then how can we advance? Of course choose an investment that is worth to take a risks. As we progress, our goal is to maintained it properly no matter what's the obstacles we may have go through. Patience, effort and hardwork must applied.

Focus on reaching the top. Take all the problems as challenges on getting there.
Activity: 123
Merit: 8
November 27, 2018, 03:36:15 PM

It's true money should work if you have it!
But if you have no money then why jump over your head, borrow from friends to take a Bank loan to invest in an unreliable business and lose.
You can never get the desired profit and only get solid debts.
Be careful when investing and do not take loans to invest in bitcoin - it can end badly.
Activity: 2114
Merit: 530
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
November 27, 2018, 03:11:26 PM
I do like all the points raised but there is a poison distribution in statistics and if you calculate the probability of Government defaulting on the bond payment, Earthquake happening in an area and precious metal prices tanking they are very low. NO risk, No reward and this is why I always for active managing your investment so as to adjust to the present reality
Activity: 910
Merit: 100
November 27, 2018, 02:42:19 PM
I do not think that a real investor will think this way. This is more like a paranoid investor where his/her trust could nowhere be found. So, if one always thinks this way then he/she could never be successful in the investment. All successful investors has gone ups and downs and some had almost give up but still trying and hoping and the result they end up became successful. Quitters never win and winners never Quit.

I think the author is in solidarity with you. He tries to explain this to those who consider investing in cryptocurrency as a risky and useless thing. Of course, any investor knows what risks he is taking in whatever he invests.
copper member
Activity: 455
Merit: 0
November 27, 2018, 02:38:22 PM
You are right, every investment has a risk but some people only see the benefits of investment without taking into account the risks.
Activity: 322
Merit: 1
November 27, 2018, 12:51:40 PM

Therefore, the main rule of investment is diversification. Do not put all the eggs in one basket. If one asset falls in value, then the other should grow. Thus, the investor will always be in profit.
Activity: 364
Merit: 10
November 27, 2018, 11:20:52 AM
Stability? There is no such.It all depends on something.Cryptocurrency is valuable because of consensus.

indeed, if we want to think logically, there is actually no stability in crypto, because crypto has been volatile since the beginning, and we admit that it is very difficult to eliminate, because in other problems, price manipulation and system shortages are still many gaps.
Activity: 462
Merit: 14
November 27, 2018, 10:58:33 AM
I do not think that a real investor will think this way. This is more like a paranoid investor where his/her trust could nowhere be found. So, if one always thinks this way then he/she could never be successful in the investment. All successful investors has gone ups and downs and some had almost give up but still trying and hoping and the result they end up became successful. Quitters never win and winners never Quit.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728
November 27, 2018, 10:38:35 AM

Have you read the 'Friedman's Restatement of Quantity Theory'? In his theory, Friedman considered money as an asset. Like any other capital asset, people invest in money because it gives future benefits(temporary abodement of purchasing power) and returns(opportunity cost). So yes, if money itself is nothing more than a pure capital investment, every other commodity that could be bought with it is considered as capital asset provided that the commodity doesn't provide any utility because if it provides utility it no longer remains capital asset but turn to be consumer asset.

Now coming to whether every investment is risky. In short yes, your instinct is right. The definition of investment itself states that investment is taking risk to have return on value invested. But that doesn't mean whatever you purchase gonna put your money in risk. Here government comes into picture. In other words I am talking about 'Risk-free return'. Governments in every country issue Treasury Bills which have ROI as similar to Fixed Deposits or little more. Else, if you wanna make big, you should be ready to take risk, there's no point to argue that.
Activity: 1197
Merit: 482
November 27, 2018, 10:21:14 AM
Investing is nothing more and nothing less than risk management at a fundamental level. Because life itself is risk and tradeoff daily.
Pages:
Jump to: