Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 22. (Read 62593 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 250
bit of a newb question im sure, but how does one get 'getinfo' output from cgminer?

Use the stats API command.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
bit of a newb question im sure, but how does one get 'getinfo' output from cgminer?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I'm pretty sure they don't.
Yeah you can get them on ebay for only a few dollars also.
I might order one just to find out ... but I suspect the answer is no.

Edit: they also have to do JTAG

... I ordered a JTAG one on ebay (Total $15) and will see when I get it if it actually works ...
May be be a few weeks though.

Can you link avr jtag you bought plz.

thank you

(as goxed posted also) the one I bought is in my post up the top.
http://au.element14.com/atmel/atavrdragon/in-system-debugger-programmer-avr/dp/145508801

The ebay one - no I wont link it coz I suspect it wont work, I'm simply wasting $15 to try a JTAG one out and I expect it is $15 thrown away.
If it works then I'll mention it when I get it in a couple of weeks.
legendary
Thanks for the guide Kano,  I just placed an order for the AVR programmer and cables.  Sending a little btc your way too  Smiley

If anyone wants to flash their jalapenos in the LA area, contact me and you can use my equipment.
BTC received - thanks indeed Smiley
Activity: 148
Merit: 100
Thanks for the guide Kano,  I just placed an order for the AVR programmer and cables.  Sending a little btc your way too  Smiley

If anyone wants to flash their jalapenos in the LA area, contact me and you can use my equipment.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Damn nice case
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250

... I ordered a JTAG one on ebay (Total $15) and will see when I get it if it actually works ...

Can you link avr jtag you bought plz.

thank you
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

thanks
legendary

legendary
Can you post here your blog Kano
http://www.kano-kun.net/?p=70

That's pretty much the same as the post above (few minor additions)
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
Can you post here your blog Kano
legendary
BFL_Nasser mentions on the BFL fourm post that some settings need to be set in a file:
in Std-Def.h, the "__PRODUCT_MODEL_LITTLE_SINGLE__" should be defined and other product types must be commented. Also the __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX should be set to like 7 for 274MHz operation. Higher will increase speed but the chips may not support it and hang. The safe value for it is '0'.

Kano did you do this prior to compiling?

Waiting on my Dragon atm  Grin.
The default in that 1.2.5 code is already 7 and a Single - so nothing needs changing to go to 8GH/s with 30 engines

This basically means the firmware thinks it's a Single with only 2 chips.

I set cgminer to decide what it is based on the number of engines, so it still thinks it's a Jalapeno.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
BFL_Nasser mentions on the BFL fourm post that some settings need to be set in a file:
in Std-Def.h, the "__PRODUCT_MODEL_LITTLE_SINGLE__" should be defined and other product types must be commented. Also the __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX should be set to like 7 for 274MHz operation. Higher will increase speed but the chips may not support it and hang. The safe value for it is '0'.

Kano did you do this prior to compiling?

Waiting on my Dragon atm  Grin.
Hodl!
Wow, awesome expose Kano, if I had a jalapeno, I'd tip you.

If that don't tell you what you need to git-r-done, I'd guess you need to start simpler, like practice changing batteries in remotes or something Cheesy
vs3
Activity: 622
Good point... Interest how did they do it...
Well ... it's not x-link Smiley

The MR that had 8 SC Singles in it (that I got to play with for a night) were all single devices, not x-linked anywhere.

Anyway went and got the AVR Dragon earlier today ... then put AVR Studio in a windows VM
I'll sort out Linux some other time - since it's a 3 year old version of it - they stopped updating it in 2010 Sad

Compiled fine ... with 769 warnings Tongue
Took hell to do the Dragon Firmware update (VM problems) but did manage it finally.

SC firmware update was simple (less than 2 minutes)

Now runs at 8.0GH/s using default Freq 7 as with 1.2.5 firmware as a Single
(used to be 5.4GH/s)

I'll post again later ... details.

<...>

Unplug the AVR Dragon USB.
Power off the Jalapeno.
Remove the Jtag cable ... then plug the Jala back in as usual to go back to mining.
Of course if you were running cgminer on a linux box, it will just hotplug back in when you plug it in Smiley
Done.

The default is frequency setting 7 - which is about 8.0GH/s on my Jalapeno.
I get about 16 HW errors an hour - which suggests to me to not increase the frequency.

P.S. If you screw up your Jalapeno doing this - sorry - not my fault Tongue

Kano - THAT WAS ONE HELL OF A GREAT POST!!! WELL DONE! AND THANKS!

Keep up the good news coming! Smiley
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
Nice work Kano! I see that you customized your firmware version also  Grin

With 30 engines, you might be able to get a substantially higher hash rate than me. I'm running 8.27 GH/s with 29 engines, but with a ~1% error rate. With an extra engine, it might be possible to get ~275 more MH/s. Of course, you will have a higher error rate overclocking further.
legendary
Edit: I'll update it when I come up with changes on my blog copy I made of this: http://www.kano-kun.net/

Well ... it's not x-link Smiley

The MR that had 8 SC Singles in it (that I got to play with for a night) were all single devices, not x-linked anywhere.

Anyway went and got the AVR Dragon earlier today ... then put AVR Studio in a windows VM
I'll sort out Linux some other time - since it's a 3 year old version of it - they stopped updating it in 2010 Sad

Compiled fine ... with 769 warnings Tongue
Took hell to do the Dragon Firmware update (VM problems) but did manage it finally.

SC firmware update was simple (less than 2 minutes)

Now runs at 8.0GH/s using default Freq 7 as with 1.2.5 firmware as a Single
(used to be 5.4GH/s)

I'll post again later ... details.

Edit:

FYI the GetInfo is:
DEVICE: BitFORCE SC
FIRMWARE: 1.2.5kano
IAR Executed: NO
CHIP PARALLELIZATION: YES @ 2
QUEUE DEPTH:40
PROCESSOR 3: 15 engines @ 268 MHz -- MAP: FFFE
PROCESSOR 7: 15 engines @ 259 MHz -- MAP: FFFE
THEORETICAL MAX: 7905 MH/s
ENGINES: 30
FREQUENCY: 274 MHz
XLINK MODE: MASTER
CRITICAL TEMPERATURE: 0
XLINK PRESENT: YES
DEVICES IN CHAIN: 1
CHAIN PRESENCE MASK: 00000001
OK

HW errors are about one every 3 or 4 minutes (about 16 per hour)

[Elapsed] => 4997
   [MHS av] => 8072.59
   [Hardware Errors] => 22
   [Difficulty Accepted] => 8982.0
   [Difficulty Rejected] => 0.0

--

So ... the process requires a few things:

a) a tiny hex screwdriver to remove the screws off the bottom of the Jalapeno

b) an Atmel AVR Dragon like the one I got (no cables come with it)
http://au.element14.com/atmel/atavrdragon/in-system-debugger-programmer-avr/dp/145508801

c) a standard printer USB cable - Standard A on one end and Standard B on the other http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB.svg

d) a 10 pin ribbon cable e.g.
http://au.element14.com/molex/92321-1030/cable-assembly-ribbon-10way-30cm/dp/1012217?Ntt=1012217

Install Atmel Studio 6 on a windows computer
You'll need to register on their site to download it
http://www.atmel.com/microsite/atmel_studio6/

It takes a while to download and to install - do this before stopping cgminer mining on your Jalapeno Smiley

Get the firmware source from here:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3282-bitforce-sc-firmware-version-1-2-5-a.html
And extract it somewhere

Run Atmel Studio and click Menu: File->Open->Project/Solution
Then select the BitForce_SC-1.2.5 folder and select BitForce_SC.atsln to open the project
Once it has opened, to compile: select Menu: Build->Build Solution

You may as well compile it yourself since you only need to select that one menu to do that ...
You'll get 769 warnings - ignore them - but no errors.

Now get the hardware ready:

If you don't have the heat pipe version of the heat sink, then you'll also need to be able to remove the heat sink and put it back on properly.
I do have the heat pipes so I didn't have to even attempt to do this.
Look elsewhere for how to do that.

Unplug your Jalapeno (USB and power)

On the front left of the board (left of the front led) there are two 5x2 jtag pins
The furthest one left (that says jtag1) is the one you need to connect to the AVR Dragon
Use the end of the lead that puts pin1 (the red lead) on the left to pin1 (left) of the 10 jtag1 pins
Connect the other end to the AVR Dragon such that the same red lead (pin1) is in pin 1 on the AVR on the outside

Click for bigger pics

Warning: Don’t leave the AVR Dragon on the black padding it comes with. It’s somewhat conductive.

Next plug the power into your Jalapeno

Plug the USB into your AVR Dragon

Plug the AVR Dragon USB into your computer - It is best to use a powered USB2 hub - there have been reports in the distant past of the AVR Dragon destroying it’s own chips if the USB voltage is a little low

The AVR Dragon left light will go orange and then red, then the led next to it (green) will flash and then stay on.

Next click on the device programming button (a blue chip with a yellow lightning bolt) top right'ish

Select the Tool, Device, Interface in the popup
Tool=AVR Dragon
Device=AT32UC3A1128
Interface=JTAG

Then click on "Apply"

At this point it will want you to reflash the AVR Dragon if you haven;t done this already.
Of course you must let it do this.
I had trouble in my Windows VM VirtualBox but after setting a USB Filter to automatically pick up the Linux device and pass it to windows, it eventually upgraded the firmware in the AVR Dragon successfully.

Next click on "Memories"

If you have the original Jalapeno 1.0.0 firmware you must:
Select "Erase Chip" and click on "Erase Now" (then it will erase it - takes less than a minute)

Then Finally click on "Program"

After less than 2 minutes it will have programmed and verified it.

Unplug the AVR Dragon USB.
Power off the Jalapeno.
Remove the Jtag cable ... then plug the Jala back in as usual to go back to mining.
Of course if you were running cgminer on a linux box, it will just hotplug back in when you plug it in Smiley
Done.

The default is frequency setting 7 - which is about 8.0GH/s on my Jalapeno.
I get about 16 HW errors an hour - which suggests to me to not increase the frequency.

P.S. If you screw up your Jalapeno doing this - sorry - not my fault Tongue
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Pages:
Jump to: