Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 24. (Read 62593 times)

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Anyone know if this cheap cable will do the job? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8535

What sort of JTAG programmer are you going to plug that into?
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Anyone know if this cheap cable will do the job? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8535
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Excited for how to, please windows step by step and ebay link to order programmer Smiley
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
received my dragon this evening. flashed the jally and...

*presto*

my 5.5 ghs jally is running @ 8.2 ghs  Cheesy

runs a bit warmer (35 vs 30) and it has 2 hardware errors in 10 mins (vs 2 per day before) but Im happy Cheesy

Ill post a HOWTO in a day or two.

Congratulations!  Grin
erk
Merit: 500
Do you need to use a Dragon or will other Atmel programmers suffice?

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
received my dragon this evening. flashed the jally and...

*presto*

my 5.5 ghs jally is running @ 8.2 ghs  Cheesy

runs a bit warmer (35 vs 30) and it has 2 hardware errors in 10 mins (vs 2 per day before) but Im happy Cheesy

Ill post a HOWTO in a day or two.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
OT, but I will reply..

Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

I haven't done this... but when you click watch, the thread goes on your "watchlist" right? Most people (myself include) probably check the "new replies to your posts" all the time, but not the watchlist.

Anywho... one post closer to 500.  Roll Eyes

I get emails about watched topics. I don't see an option to set it otherwise, though I didn't look very hard.

Posting "watching" is stupid (since the watch feature notifies) and selfish, as it just clutters the forum for the rest of us.
Merit: 1000
I bought this one, its the one danattacker mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500053

it does not come with a cable but Im sure you can cut down a 40 pin IDE cable, thats what Im planning to do..

my dragon will be here in a few days and when I flash my 5 ghs jally Ill post the results.

BTW if you have a heatpipe jally there is plenty of clearance for the cable under the fins.
If that one works that is really cheep. I might bought some extra for mass producing the boards Smiley Please let me know...
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
Ok also any details how I can do these thanks?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
You need atmel studio
legendary
Also what software I must have for overclock the jalapeño firmware?
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
I bought this one, its the one danattacker mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500053

it does not come with a cable but Im sure you can cut down a 40 pin IDE cable, thats what Im planning to do..

my dragon will be here in a few days and when I flash my 5 ghs jally Ill post the results.

BTW if you have a heatpipe jally there is plenty of clearance for the cable under the fins.
legendary
A photo or a link to see exactly which avr dragon is correct?
Activity: 237
I have found a segger J-Link USB with a 20 pin output laying about - can this be used/adapted to flash via the 10 pin JTAG 1 header on the Jalapeno board, but it only comes with a 20 connector ribbon cable.
Do I need another JTAG adapter, or can this one be used?
Thanks

It probably won't work. Maybe you can play around with the bsdl files but you run the risk of corrupting the firmware on the chip with an unsupported programmer (like I did). The programmers supported by Atmel Studio and the microcontroller are (according to Atmel Studio): AVR Dragon, AVR ONE!, JTAGICE3, JTAGICE3 mkII, STK600. The AVR Dragon appeared to be cheapest so that is what I bought.

thanks - I'll put the Segger away and get an AVR Dragon.
Cheers
I have found a segger J-Link USB with a 20 pin output laying about - can this be used/adapted to flash via the 10 pin JTAG 1 header on the Jalapeno board, but it only comes with a 20 connector ribbon cable.
Thanks

It probably won't work. Maybe you can play around with the bsdl files but you run the risk of corrupting the firmware on the chip with an unsupported programmer (like I did). The programmers supported by Atmel Studio and the microcontroller are (according to Atmel Studio): AVR Dragon, AVR ONE!, JTAGICE3, JTAGICE3 mkII, STK600. The AVR Dragon appeared to be cheapest so that is what I bought.
Activity: 237
Thanks
Merit: 1000
Is possible jalapeño 5ghz to overclocked to 7 ghz
I think you are mistaking GHz and Ghashes... But if you are euning at 5ghz we can tell you that this is more then enough:) ....

OK I will stop joking. Yes you can but you probably can't. You need some hardware and software that you probably don't have and knowledge that your question showed that you don't have. Unless you find someone who can flash it for you the answer is no.
Can you teach me?

It has been discussed previously on this thread. You will need a compatible JTAG programmer and then you use Atmel Studio to compile and upload the firmware to the board. There are a few challenges since you will probably need to remove the heat sink to attach the JTAG cable, and you need to cool the chips somehow while programming it.

Yes, it should be possible.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT
Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

Not that I am one to post 'watching', perhaps the user did not know of the 'watch' button or they know of it but prefer to see updates in the 'new replies to your posts' section.

Not everyone is a spammer/scammer.

EDIT: Just realise this is three days after he posted in a relatively busy thread, probably wasn't worth writing. Ignore me
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: