Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 25. (Read 62593 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Can you teach me?
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
That proves further they didn't bin their chips.

No the guy selling his, how'd you already overclock it?

I overclocked it when I flashed the new firmware. The frequency factor is set to 7 (274 MHz). I was getting 7.65 GH/s before overclock and now I'm getting 8.2 GH/s after overclock.
legendary
That proves further they didn't bin their chips.

No the guy selling his, how'd you already overclock it?
Since we're talking about 7GHash Jalapenos, anyone have any ideas how to combat the high error rates I'm seeing on mine?

I am running 2 of them with bfgminer. Not taken the cases off yet.

e.g.

BFL 0:  37.0C/42.0C   |  6.40/ 6.50/ 5.09Gh/s | A: 68 R:0+0(none) HW:62
 BFL 1:  42.0C/51.0C   |  8.34/ 8.20/ 8.45Gh/s | A:113 R:0+0(none) HW:55

What difficulty are you mining at? I would imagine that if you decreased difficulty and HW errors stayed the same then it's probably normal. Also, if your getting the expected hashrate on the pool side then I wouldn't worry much about it.
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Should have said, I have tried cgminer and I get the same problem.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Since we're talking about 7GHash Jalapenos, anyone have any ideas how to combat the high error rates I'm seeing on mine?

e.g.

CGminer? If you read beck you will see that last version has something different...
Activity: 73

e.g.

I think it's better to flip it only if you leave it open.

You've already overclocked it?
Did you asked me? No I will live it as it is and when the boards are ready for testing I will remove chips from it. And when I get enough of samples I will put them on and see how far can I push it(read my edit I had wrong number in my had).
legendary
I think it's better to flip it only if you leave it open.

You've already overclocked it?
I was thinking about flipping the fan to decrease heat. Could it be that heat sensor is cooled bether that way? 10 degrees it a lot so I don't think this is something that BFL missed out... I know that this means that air about the board is cooler but still 10 degrees? Unless we are talking  Fahrenheit I really don't think so. And I relay think that this is not the chip temperature... I think this is something close to chip that is affected by air flow.

Also adding 2 more chip shouldn't be a problem. From what we figure it out(designing the boards) for now if the board is the same as published by BFL power supply should get out 80A @ 1V so enough for 4 16W chips. So as long as you are able to add 2 chips(not that easy) on the board this should work. When I get my unit and sample chips from my GB I can report... But it will not be from first batch since those will go on boards we are designing.

Other then firmware limitations I see no problems for 95% 2 chip Jalapeno to go to 7. Even ones with C grade chips. Unless BFL is not telling us something. Double A grade should be 8.4... Double D grade with increased frequency might even make it close to 7...

The temperature is read from two temperature sensors nearby the chips. It is not the actual die temperature. When the fan is flipped, your getting more airflow directly on the sensors, resulting in the drastic temperature drop.
I was thinking about flipping the fan to decrease heat. Could it be that heat sensor is cooled bether that way? 10 degrees it a lot so I don't think this is something that BFL missed out... I know that this means that air about the board is cooler but still 10 degrees? Unless we are talking  Fahrenheit I really don't think so. And I relay think that this is not the chip temperature... I think this is something close to chip that is affected by air flow.

Also adding 2 more chip shouldn't be a problem. From what we figure it out(designing the boards) for now if the board is the same as published by BFL power supply should get out 80A @ 1V so enough for 4 16W chips. So as long as you are able to add 2 chips(not that easy) on the board this should work. When I get my unit and sample chips from my GB I can report... But it will not be from first batch since those will go on boards we are designing.

Other then firmware limitations I see no problems for 95% 2 chip Jalapeno to go to 7. Even ones with C grade chips. Unless BFL is not telling us something. Double A grade should be 8.4... Double D grade with increased frequency might even make it close to 7...

EDIT: Probably chip is less then 16W since unit idle is 16W and runing is 32W. Maybe even just 12 or less so you can even add 6 or 7 on the board and make something close to little single. If you add some cooling to the MOS you might get way with 8.
Hey everyone. I made the decision to auction off my miner since it makes the most economical sense to me. I do so somewhat reluctantly, since I spent a lot of time tinkering with it and I also already ordered 2 more chips that I was planning on soldering to the board. There is a good chance the auction will fail since I am definitely making it worth my time if I do sell it. Don't worry, I'll still help out anyone who wants to reflash their board.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/auction-bfl-82-ghs-miner-5-gh-2-gh-upgrade-125-firmware-us-only-240134
legendary
Ok xoxox
Can you bake mine?

I'm going to have to decline since I don't want to be held liable if something goes wrong.
legendary
Can you bake mine?
The controller will just pick them up? What oven will you use?

It probably will find the chips with the code as is or with little modification.

I won't be using an oven. I have a SMD rework station.
legendary
The controller will just pick them up? What oven will you use?
I plan on soldering 2 more chips on my board whenever I get them. Nothing seems to be preventing it. The mosfets on my board are not hot at all, but if you have an older version with the hot mosfets then it's probably a bad idea. Then again, you could replace the mosfets too.

I've also been toying around with the idea of increasing the voltage but it probably isn't worth it.
legendary
Activity: 98
Can you post a closeup photo of where the port is on the board?
Its marked as JTAG1 on the board. So if you have one, just look on the board, its the one closest to the supportbeam for the fan.
Pages:
Jump to: