Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 23. (Read 62593 times)

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Hm... I just realised something. Look at board pictures publish hire. And look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7kVfJ5X5Y

Do you see a difference? Anyone has a single? I think that this chip that is missing here is for a 50gh single to connect 2 boards. If you look at the plans you will see chain out chain in connected to that... And I really think that this is a longboard. 2 normal boards connected... If anyone has a idea how to get program off that chip we can make a longboard....
Why would you bother?
Merit: 1000
Hm... I just realised something. Look at board pictures publish hire. And look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7kVfJ5X5Y

Do you see a difference? Anyone has a single? I think that this chip that is missing here is for a 50gh single to connect 2 boards. If you look at the plans you will see chain out chain in connected to that... And I really think that this is a longboard. 2 normal boards connected... If anyone has a idea how to get program off that chip we can make a longboard....
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
And they have free delivery for orders over $45.
erk

Oh ... I was hoping that would be a good test before actually flashing it ... though I've not got that far yet ...

I have (which I finally found today) an Xilinx Platform Cable USB with 4 cables and an adapter board to match the 3 extra cables provided by ngzhang - it was called the icarus dev kit back when I bought it last year - but I've never used it.

I'm in the process of slowly downloading the free version of the Xilinx ISE - anyone know in advance if that will work?

Edit: OK after reading up much more about all this ... it seems the answer is probably no.
It also seems that the AVR32 chips are rarely supported by the random no-name Amtel JTAG programmers you can find on ebay.
Fortunately, google found me a shop 35km away that has 44 in stock Smiley $63 ... OK time to go visit them tomorrow.

Aside: I found the pictures provided by others a little hard to read clearly ... so I took one of my Jala mining Smiley

(click if you want it 4x that size)

Anyone is Aus wanting to know where they can find an AVR Dragon - this is the place I'll be visiting tomorrow ... after I call them and verify it is the right device.
http://au.element14.com/atmel/atavrdragon/in-system-debugger-programmer-avr/dp/145508801

Element14 are huge, they are the one of the international Raspberry Pi distributor networks, so you should be able to find them all over the planet, they are part of the Farnell group of electronic distributors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Farnell

The Premier Farnell group trades globally under the following company names:

Farnell in the UK and Europe
    element14 in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, China and Singapore
    Newark Electronics in the US, Canada and Mexico
    MCM Electronics in the US
    Farnell-Newark in Brazil
    Combined Precision Components (CPC) in the UK
    Akron Brass, North America
    TPC Wire and Cable, North America

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

the security bit was set. 1st thing I tried was to read the original 5 ghs 1.0.0 firmware out. nope.

the only way to clear the security bit and program it is to erase the whole chip. so, unless bfl releases a 1.0.0 *.hex file or the original 1.0.0 source, flashing these things is a one way ticket.

Oh ... I was hoping that would be a good test before actually flashing it ... though I've not got that far yet ...

I have (which I finally found today) an Xilinx Platform Cable USB with 4 cables and an adapter board to match the 3 extra cables provided by ngzhang - it was called the icarus dev kit back when I bought it last year - but I've never used it.

I'm in the process of slowly downloading the free version of the Xilinx ISE - anyone know in advance if that will work?

Edit: OK after reading up much more about all this ... it seems the answer is probably no.
It also seems that the AVR32 chips are rarely supported by the random no-name Amtel JTAG programmers you can find on ebay.
Fortunately, google found me a shop 35km away that has 44 in stock Smiley $63 ... OK time to go visit them tomorrow.

Aside: I found the pictures provided by others a little hard to read clearly ... so I took one of my Jala mining Smiley

(click if you want it 4x that size)

Anyone is Aus wanting to know where they can find an AVR Dragon - this is the place I'll be visiting tomorrow ... after I call them and verify it is the right device.
http://au.element14.com/atmel/atavrdragon/in-system-debugger-programmer-avr/dp/145508801
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
I wonder if I can bend the pins out, tired of removing the heatsink
Activity: 402
Merit: 250
very interesting and hoping to see guide soon, hopefully with ebay purchase links Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
It's actually (102/16,241)*100= 0.628% errors, one of the cgmnier devs suggested that 1% HW errors are ok for that kind of ASIC setup.

whoops, thanks for that. forgot my basic math Smiley

but its difficulty 4 (4 shares average by the asic for every 1 submitted), and hardware errors are 1 to 1. so divide by 4 = 0.157% error rate.
erk
after 7 hours its average is 8285.56 ghs, 81 hardware errors.

That's not too bad for HW errors,  out of interest sake, have you tried reducing the speed slightly to see if the error rate changes substantially? Thinking that you might be on the threshold.

reduce speed?? NEVER!! heh

9.5 hours, 16241 accepted @ difficultly 4, 102 hardware errors = 0.0016 % errors. thats OK in my book as others with stock jallys have had way more that that.

It's actually (102/16,241)*100= 0.628% errors, one of the cgmnier devs suggested that 1% HW errors are ok for that kind of ASIC setup.
legendary
Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

the security bit was set. 1st thing I tried was to read the original 5 ghs 1.0.0 firmware out. nope.

the only way to clear the security bit and program it is to erase the whole chip. so, unless bfl releases a 1.0.0 *.hex file or the original 1.0.0 source, flashing these things is a one way ticket.

Activity: 294
Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

.. why kids giving the answer to their own question right away  Huh
legendary

That's not too bad for HW errors,  out of interest sake, have you tried reducing the speed slightly to see if the error rate changes substantially? Thinking that you might be on the threshold.

reduce speed?? NEVER!! heh

9.5 hours, 16241 accepted @ difficultly 4, 102 hardware errors = 0.0016 % errors. thats OK in my book as others with stock jallys have had way more that that.

there the stats output for the interested:

Code:
DEVICE: BitFORCE SC0x0aFIRMWARE: 1.2.50x0aIAR Executed: NO0x0aCHIP PARALLELIZATION: YES @ 20x0aQUEUE DEPTH:400x0aPROCESSOR 3: 15 engines @ 267 MHz -- MAP: FFFE0x0aPROCESSOR 7: 15 engines @ 281 MHz -- MAP: FFFE0x0aTHEORETICAL MAX: 8220 MH/s0x0aENGINES: 300x0aFREQUENCY: 274 MHz0x0aXLINK MODE: MASTER0x0aCRITICAL TEMPERATURE: 00x0aXLINK PRESENT: YES0x0aDEVICES IN CHAIN: 10x0aCHAIN PRESENCE MASK: 000000010x0aOK0x0a0x00

both chips 15 engines, one @ 281, one @ 267
legendary
yes, Ill have a howto in a day or two.

Im comfortable with building and modifying electronics and computers but never with stuff like this.

its easy enough but I did have a couple "uh oh" moments. Cheesy
Activity: 327
Any way we could get a step by step procedure (with pictures) to overclock these guys? I know computer hardware, but not at this level and I would rather not brick my Jalapenos in the process. Thanks for the effort!
erk
I've been reading through this thread and I think vapourminer mentioned that there's no cable included with purchase of the Atmel Dragon. He mentioned cutting down a 40 pin IDE cable but I don't even have such a common thing lying around.

nope no cable included. I did use a 40 conductor IDE cable cut down to 10 (2x5).

the cable you linked to should be fine. any 2x5 cable with 0.1 inch pin spacing will work.

That's not too bad for HW errors,  out of interest sake, have you tried reducing the speed slightly to see if the error rate changes substantially? Thinking that you might be on the threshold.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
I've been reading through this thread and I think vapourminer mentioned that there's no cable included with purchase of the Atmel Dragon. He mentioned cutting down a 40 pin IDE cable but I don't even have such a common thing lying around.

nope no cable included. I did use a 40 conductor IDE cable cut down to 10 (2x5).

the cable you linked to should be fine. any 2x5 cable with 0.1 inch pin spacing will work.

legendary

Activity: 104
Merit: 10
erk
Anyone know if this cheap cable will do the job? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8535

What sort of JTAG programmer are you going to plug that into?

I was thinking about Atmel AVR Dragon.
I would have thought the dragon would come with a cable?

Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Anyone know if this cheap cable will do the job? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8535

What sort of JTAG programmer are you going to plug that into?

I was thinking about Atmel AVR Dragon.
Pages:
Jump to: