Pages:
Author

Topic: First power bill for my 6 GH/s rig - page 3. (Read 10105 times)

Activity: 303
Merit: 250
March 13, 2012, 11:21:29 AM
bad things happen when you think temperature is heat,

harder to cool anything with lower deltas? of course, but not impossible

swallow it: IT CAN BE DONE.
Activity: 348
March 13, 2012, 08:26:13 AM

Does anyone know the reason that most datacenters specify that ambient air be between 68 and 75 degrees F? Anyone? Don't disappoint me now.

This isn't a data-center.  The beauty of outdoor cooling is that you don't need the ridiculous density of a datacenter.  You can spread things out, you don't need to stuff 20 video cards into a single tower.  Also, given this is just a hobby or personal business for most of us, we are not restricted by customer contractual demands.  Reliability isn't nearly as important or critical.

If I wish to cool my rigs to an acceptable temperature with a low outside ambient temp, I use an open window and no additional fans, or perhaps a small fan to direct the air to an appropriate location. If I wish to do the same in the summer, I need massive amounts of air flowing, which requires noise and power. And even then, the cards are not going to remain within a tolerance that I wish to see.

Like I said, moving the goalposts.  You can cool your rigs with outside air, even in the summer.  Massive amounts of air flowing?  Whatever.  It's all relative.  If that "massive" airflow is cheaper than running the AC 24/7, it's a net gain.  Noise?  Power?  Absoklute power is irrelevant, what matters is the relative power.  If it's less power to cool via blowing air than it is to run an AC unit, the power usage is a gain, not a negative. "A tolerance that I wish to see", lovely.  So it's not even about provable facts anymore, if you decide the numbers aren't good enough you get to win the argument for free?  Nice try, but no.  If the cards work reliably enough than who cares what rfk thinks is the correct temperature.  Your wishes are not important in this discussion.

You can cool your rigs with ambient air at close to 90 degrees and low GPU fan speed -

Is that a small spark of intelligence?  Are you finally starting to understand how heating and cooling works?  If it's possible to cool down to 60C at 90F, how much harder do you think it is to cool to 80C at 110F?

OK, what is the core temperature? 75, 80, 85 degrees C?

Who cares?  He said it could be done, he didn't specify any particular temperature other than the general assumption that the cards were functioning.

Funny how the topic has changed ..."anything can be cooled with enough airflow",

The topic hasn't changed.  That was from the original post that started this discussion.   Nice try though.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
March 13, 2012, 02:14:58 AM
Wasn't the claim that one could cool 20KW of heat load with a pair of window fans in 100F ambient temps?

Funny how the topic has changed to custom building design, 3 square foot holes in the roof, 2000 watt blowers, datacenters in sweden, "anything can be cooled with enough airflow", how houses get cold when you open the window in winter, and other distractions.

What happened to 20KW heat load, pair of window fans and 100F ambient temps?  Roll Eyes
Best summary of what happened, IMO.
Activity: 402
March 13, 2012, 12:59:34 AM
What happened to 20KW of heat load, pair of window fans and 100F ambient temps?  Roll Eyes

Who knows .... Wait what load? XD

I thought that was achieved with evaporative cooling?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 13, 2012, 12:21:13 AM
Wasn't the claim that one could cool 20KW of heat load with a pair of window fans in 100F ambient temps?

Funny how the topic has changed to custom building design, 3 square foot holes in the roof, 2000 watt blowers, datacenters in sweden, "anything can be cooled with enough airflow", how houses get cold when you open the window in winter, and other distractions.

What happened to 20KW heat load, pair of window fans and 100F ambient temps?  Roll Eyes
March 13, 2012, 12:08:11 AM
Teach me, Master. Tell me the way to cool a rig with 100 degree summer air, WITHOUT making more noise than the fans being at 50%, and without pulling a significant number of extraneous watts.

Honestly thinking about that, you can get "semi-free" airflow by utilizing the heat ... Yes, utilizing the heat generated Wink
So assume you have a tent, say yurt / pyramid shaped.
The shape of "roof" is like a funnel, constantly accelerating the air flow, on top you have say a 500x500mm hole with that sized fan, but very low wattage, say 15-30W
Below you have an open air opening.
Because heat tends to go upwards, and BIG fans tend to be more efficient moving air around, you are going to get a decent air flow amount ...

Just saying ...

March 13, 2012, 12:00:37 AM
Hey guys! I know how to keep my miners within a proper temperature at 100+ degrees Fahrenheit in the summer! I just need one of these per rig:

No actually fuck that, do you have any idea how many watts those things pull? And how loud? Damn.

Depends on model, but i actually have one with over 2kW rating >Grin
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
March 12, 2012, 11:37:32 PM
There's that "objective discussion" again.  Smiley  They don't want to learn, they just want their wrong opinion to be right.
Teach me, Master. Tell me the way to cool a rig with 100 degree summer air, WITHOUT making more noise than the fans being at 50%, and without pulling a significant number of extraneous watts.

I don't think anyone claimed the fans would be silent.  Nobody mentioned the amount of "extraneous watts".

It was simply a question of can you do it, yes or no.  The answer is yes, you can.  Can rjk add some new restrictions or special situations to create an artificial situation where air cooling may not work, sure.  But you are answering a different question at that point, one which is irrelevant to the original thread.

It looks like you realize you have lost the original argument, so you are moving the goalposts.
Does anyone know the reason that most datacenters specify that ambient air be between 68 and 75 degrees F? Anyone? Don't disappoint me now.

If I wish to cool my rigs to an acceptable temperature with a low outside ambient temp, I use an open window and no additional fans, or perhaps a small fan to direct the air to an appropriate location. If I wish to do the same in the summer, I need massive amounts of air flowing, which requires noise and power. And even then, the cards are not going to remain within a tolerance that I wish to see.

You can cool your rigs with ambient air at close to 90 degrees and low GPU fan speed - OK, what is the core temperature? 75, 80, 85 degrees C?
March 12, 2012, 11:22:13 PM
There's that "objective discussion" again.  Smiley  They don't want to learn, they just want their wrong opinion to be right.

I don't think anyone claimed the fans would be silent.  Nobody mentioned the amount of "extraneous watts".

It was simply a question of can you do it, yes or no.  The answer is yes, you can.  Can rjk add some new restrictions or special situations to create an artificial situation where air cooling may not work, sure.  But you are answering a different question at that point, one which is irrelevant to the original thread.

It looks like you realize you have lost the original argument, so you are moving the goalposts.
rjk
1ngldh
March 12, 2012, 11:03:48 PM
Oh, for sure.  I love educating others and sharing knowledge while they treat me like shit.  Let me get right on that.   Roll Eyes
Pretty sure you aren't going to be able to come up with a way, but if you can I will certainly retract any statement that I made earlier that is invalid or incorrect.
Activity: 642
March 12, 2012, 11:02:32 PM
Oh, for sure.  I love educating others and sharing knowledge while they treat me like shit.  Let me get right on that.   Roll Eyes
rjk
1ngldh
March 12, 2012, 10:58:50 PM
Activity: 642
March 12, 2012, 10:55:43 PM
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
March 12, 2012, 10:53:37 PM

Wood From my Basement = FREE
Various Pipes, Valves, & Pressure Gauges (Stolen from my neighbors basement) = FREE
Hamster Wheel = $2.99 (used salvation army)
Hamster = $4.99 (Pet Shop)

Currently its getting about 1 Mhash per bag of Hamster Food
but im looking into ways to make it more efficient
(rats, mice, racoons etc)

if you guys are so smart than tell me how I can keep my latest rig cool!

at first I was giving the hamster water and then I switched to gatorade

now when I stick a anal thermometer up his ass hes registering about 50c which was still cooler than my 5970 but id like to see it a little cooler
rjk
1ngldh
March 12, 2012, 10:44:41 PM
Hey guys! I know how to keep my miners within a proper temperature at 100+ degrees Fahrenheit in the summer! I just need one of these per rig:

No actually fuck that, do you have any idea how many watts those things pull? And how loud? Damn.
donator
Gerald Davis
March 12, 2012, 10:44:33 PM
The "enough airflow" as indicated was a pair of box fans.  So yes with enough airflow you could cool GPU with furnace air at 130F but you certainly aren't with a box fan.

I don't think you know what the word "trolling" means.
March 12, 2012, 10:42:03 PM
This thread is just so LOL.

Looking back at the post that started it...

You guys realize that 110 degrees Fahrenheit is "only" 43 Celsius, right?  That's still over 30 degrees lower than the temperature my GPUs run at.  With enough airflow, the heat will certainly still be removed so long as the heat isn't recirculated through the cards.

Note the bold part, which is key.  All you trolls coming in and talking about how you can't do it because 25kw produces so much heat blah blah blah are just looking like fools. 

The point was that with enough airflow you could cool a mining rig with 110F outside air.   Is anyone going to actually dispute this, or is this thread just going to be trolling followed by trolling? Most of the made up situations that are just straw-men arguments which don't follow the original statement.
donator
Gerald Davis
March 12, 2012, 10:34:48 PM
pla why do you keep talking about winter time?

How about turn on that stove when outside temp is 110F and try to keep indoor temps down with a window box fan.
March 12, 2012, 10:25:37 PM
lawl

but more on topic = Invest slowly and build your farm over time. Huge bitcoin mining investments usually fail (Going off past posts I've found here). Slowly working your way up helps you learn alot of things you'd never consider otherwise, plus if you work up over time it's much easier to deal with anything that might go wrong.

+1.
I setup my original cluster ALL wrong, result was barely 1.28Mhash/W, 2xFailed 5850, failed mobo, room like a sauna.

Now i'm looking towards to achieving over 4Mhash/W with newer hardware! Tongue
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
March 12, 2012, 10:13:12 PM
I grow dope and fish for a living, bro. I have no idea what volume of cross-flow you would need to dissipate 21.5kW of heat with 100F ambient temperatures, nor how to calculate it.

+1 I laughed so hard I spat a bit of my beer up... Grin
Pages:
Jump to: